PDA

View Full Version : Dear Longhorns Fans:

Holt's Cat
09-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Dear Longhorns Fans:

Football season is an exciting time for students, alumni and fans of The University of Texas. It is a time for us to show our pride to the entire nation. In thinking about our own home game day activities, I continually wonder how our visiting teams, visiting fans, and game officials feel when they visit Austin.

Last fall we launched our Texas Fans Make Us Proud sportsmanship campaign and showed the world that we have first class fans. We showed how passionate fans should act. What better display of Texas pride than to play a good game while still respecting the visiting team, the game officials, and visiting fans.

Let’s honestly ask: did our friends from Arkansas State and TCU experience that same warm welcome? During the TCU game I witnessed fans booing the TCU football players as they ran toward their locker room at halftime. Game officials were treated similarly. What an unfortunate occurrence -- booing college students for playing well and booing referees whose jobs were not complete.

I received complaints about the use of obscene language in a stadium that included many children.
Unfortunately, I feel the behavior over the last two games has not lived up to the high standard we expect. It only takes a small group to tarnish the image of our university.

We say, “What starts here changes the world.”
Let’s extend that notion of a first class university to include first class fan behavior. If you see someone bringing shame and embarrassment to UT, I challenge you to let them know that their behavior is unacceptable to you and your fellow Longhorns, or to ask an usher to assist you.

Don’t be afraid to say: “This is not our standard. This is not Texas style.”

Good sportsmanship is something we have to actively think about, or else we simply get swept up by the prevailing current which might include crude behavior. I ask that you keep this in mind as we welcome other visiting teams to Austin and to our campus for future weekends.

Hook ‘em, Horns!

Jim Boon, BBA ’69, MBA ‘72
Executive Director
Texas Exes

:cat

Holmes_Fans
09-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Uhhh, EVERY stadium is like this. They are drunk college students.

Holt's Cat
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
Well, email him that.

BeerIsGood!
09-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Well, email him that.

What's the point of this thread? People should be more sportsmanlike, but unfortunately there are a few that won't in every stadium. Looks like you're going out of your way to be an ass, but that's what I've come to expect from Holt's Cat.

Holt's Cat
09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Rather sensitive, aren't we?

leemajors
09-20-2007, 09:04 PM
they should boo greg davis instead.

samikeyp
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
What's the point of this thread? People should be more sportsmanlike, but unfortunately there are a few that won't in every stadium. Looks like you're going out of your way to be an ass, but that's what I've come to expect from Holt's Cat.

Sportsmanship died a long time ago....a lot of people actions on this board is proof of that.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-20-2007, 11:42 PM
I was at Texas-Arkansas back in 2004 and there were many a drunk UT fan trying to fight a ark fan with a cast on his leg.

LOL
I LOL'ed almost as hard as when gtownspur created his 4th CBF troll.

j-6
09-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Dear Longhorns Fans:

Football season is an exciting time for students, alumni and fans of The University of Texas. It is a time for us to show our pride to the entire nation. In thinking about our own home game day activities, I continually wonder how our visiting teams, visiting fans, and game officials feel when they visit Austin.

Last fall we launched our Texas Fans Make Us Proud sportsmanship campaign and showed the world that we have first class fans. We showed how passionate fans should act. What better display of Texas pride than to play a good game while still respecting the visiting team, the game officials, and visiting fans.

Let’s honestly ask: did our friends from Arkansas State and TCU experience that same warm welcome? During the TCU game I witnessed fans booing the TCU football players as they ran toward their locker room at halftime. Game officials were treated similarly. What an unfortunate occurrence -- booing college students for playing well and booing referees whose jobs were not complete.

I received complaints about the use of obscene language in a stadium that included many children.
Unfortunately, I feel the behavior over the last two games has not lived up to the high standard we expect. It only takes a small group to tarnish the image of our university.

We say, “What starts here changes the world.”
Let’s extend that notion of a first class university to include first class fan behavior. If you see someone bringing shame and embarrassment to UT, I challenge you to let them know that their behavior is unacceptable to you and your fellow Longhorns, or to ask an usher to assist you.

Don’t be afraid to say: “This is not our standard. This is not Texas style.”

Good sportsmanship is something we have to actively think about, or else we simply get swept up by the prevailing current which might include crude behavior. I ask that you keep this in mind as we welcome other visiting teams to Austin and to our campus for future weekends.

Hook ‘em, Horns!

Jim Boon, BBA ’69, MBA ‘72
Executive Director
Texas Exes

Hey Jim,

A lot of us are longtime whiskey-soaked fans that now have to put up with these bullshit family / corporate / television type people. Why? Because we're now an elite instead of a bridesmaid. They are finally fired up after one of the largest schools in the country, in the craziest football state in the nation, finally won a title a couple of years ago. Now they want Memorial to act like the Hummer dealership when they need their tires rotated.

Start bitching once we lose and all hell breaks loose. Otherwise, enjoy the ride because we've entered that territory where 8-4 isn't good enough for the guys with the fat wallets. And always remember, 8-4 with a Big 12 South sked is better than 'rebuilding' for a couple of years under .500.

Ignignokt
09-21-2007, 01:32 AM
I was at Texas-Arkansas back in 2004 and there were many a drunk UT fan trying to fight a ark fan with a cast on his leg.

LOL
I LOL'ed almost as hard as when gtownspur created his 4th CBF troll.

Or the time, when CBF's cheapshot backfired on him in the troll forum, and he was exposed.

Or the meltdown years back over buttsecs in the olympics, where the CBF promised to never again post in the political forum.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Or the time, when CBF's cheapshot backfired on him in the troll forum, and he was exposed.

Or the meltdown years back over buttsecs in the olympics, where the CBF promised to never again post in the political forum.

Relying on troll forum posters to back you up against the CBF is a true sign you are inferior to me gtown.
I'm a better poster than you in every possible aspect except non-intelligent toilet humor, which is why you have found your niche in the troll forum.
:wakeup

StylisticS
09-21-2007, 11:03 PM
they should boo greg davis instead.

Give them the chance. I bet you they would. :lol

Ignignokt
09-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Relying on troll forum posters to back you up against the CBF is a true sign you are inferior to me gtown.

Kind of like having pego, elpimpo, and mookie show up to defend you would in every situation,would be a sign that your inferior to all carbon based life forms?

I'm a better poster than you in every possible aspect except non-intelligent toilet humor, which is why you have found your niche in the troll forum.
:wakeup

As long as you give MOOK's all the credit for that one.

J.T.
09-21-2007, 11:47 PM
Lol I got an email like that from the president of Texas State. Who gives a fuck, 99% of the people in there are university students of both teams who have been tailgating (read: drinking) since 9 in the morning. College students + alcohol = stupid shit. Deal with it or don't let the ones who are too fucked up into the stadium...

samikeyp
09-22-2007, 04:30 PM
or hardcore michigan state fans who throw FULL beers at people from 3rd and 4th story dorm windows

rack the spartans

Nahh...they just burn shit.

Walter Craparita
09-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I really don't understand the hate. Texas will finish #1 for sure. Aggies are way too one-dimensional with a McGee option and JL rushing.

McCoy for heismen!!

Obstructed_View
09-25-2007, 09:55 AM
In defense of UT fans:

While they might not be the sharpest tools in the shed, they are, after all, still tools.