PDA

View Full Version : SAPD Officer killed!!!

2Blonde
09-21-2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.ksat.com/news/14175111/detail.html

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Fuck. I always hate seeing this shit, no matter what city it happens in.

The Waco Kid
09-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Sorry to hear this. Glad he took out the perp as well.

fatsack
09-21-2007, 03:01 PM
oh no...

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2007, 03:02 PM
i just saw a little bit on the tv at the health club...

i don't think zstomp is in one of those special units yet, right?

Silver21_Black20
09-21-2007, 03:07 PM
i just saw a little bit on the tv at the health club...

i don't think zstomp is in one of those special units yet, right?

Don't think so.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Villas of St. Moritz apartment complex.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2007, 03:13 PM
They're saying this is related to the shooting at Sundance apartments yesterday afternoon.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2007, 03:23 PM
The media's just waiting on notification before releasing the officer's name.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2007, 03:29 PM
11-year veteran of the SAPD. ROP Detective in plainclothes.

Suspect was 35-years old.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Officer was Hispanic.

Sunshine
09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Very sad, indeed. They put their lives on the line everyday, you just never expect to hear it.

A friend of mine was killed in the line of duty back in 1990.

2centsworth
09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Dangit. I know a few 10 year vets too.

marini martini
09-21-2007, 03:32 PM
So young. I hate hearing this crap, also. I have a deep respect for our boys in blue.

Shelly
09-21-2007, 03:35 PM
My heart skipped since a friend is a detective, but he's not hispanic, so a sigh of relief.

Terrible tragedy.

Sonia_TX
09-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I hate when something like this happens. My family is friends with a Police Officer and if something like this happened to him it would be devastating. My thought are with our men...

Sunshine
09-21-2007, 03:37 PM
His name will soon be added here:

SAPD Officers Killed in the Line of Duty (http://www.sanantonio.gov/sapd/tribute.asp?res=1680&ver=true)

MoSpur
09-21-2007, 03:39 PM
I just read the article. Wow. That is sad. Middle of the day too.

Sunshine
09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Link to story on My SA.com (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA092107.shooting.kens.f75e543c.html)

Link to information on WOAI.com (http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=d9b8517d-ab39-43f8-994c-736c8a41b4a6)

xrayzebra
09-21-2007, 03:56 PM
God bless him and his family.

T Park
09-21-2007, 04:02 PM
God bless him and his great service to our community.

A true hero.

T-Pain
09-21-2007, 04:52 PM
wow, this happened just down the road from my apartment

Sunshine
09-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Update: Link to Story (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA092107.shooting.kens.f75e543c.html)

UPDATED: Officer, suspect dead following shootout at apartment complex

Web Posted: 09/21/2007 05:05 PM CDT

Moises Mendoza, San Antonio Express-News
and KENS 5 Eyewitness News

A San Antonio police officer and a suspect are dead this afternoon after gunfire erupted at a Northwest Side apartment complex in the 7200 block of Lamb Road.

Officials with the San Antonio Police Department have confirmed that Detective Mario Moreno, an 11-year SAPD veteran, died in the line of duty. He had been promoted in June. He leaves behind his wife and two children under the age of five. "I'm heartbroken right now," Police Chief William McManus said at the scene. "I'm heartbroken."
"It draws the department closer together," he later added. "It is a stark wakeup call."

Police have not released the name of the suspect.

The shootings occurred shortly before 2 p.m. as a group of uniformed officers and detectives were investigating an incident from the previous day in which a man shot his girlfriend in the leg, police said.

A woman called police and said that she would help officers arrest the man by showing them where he was in the complex.

After arriving at the apartments, officers spotted a man who ran from them. Following a brief chase, the man, carrying a shotgun, turned around and fired, police said.

Moreno was struck in the face. Other officers returned fire, killing the man. Police said the suspect was 35 years old and had warrants outstanding related to Thursday's shooting.

Moreno was taken to University Hospital, where a somber scene played out this afternoon as a group of more than 10 uniformed police officers were ushered into the emergency room. After about 15 minutes, they emerged from the room in tears. At least two officers braced themselves against a hospital wall and wept.

"Fortunately it doesn't happen very often," remarked one sobbing female officer. "But when it does...", she said, not finishing her thought.

McManus said he believes the meeting at the apartment complex was adequately planned and that there was enough backup.

"These things happen in a flash," he said. "You can't plan for everything that could happen."

Joseph Austin Cummings, a 19-year-old apartment resident, said he was getting ready to go on a date when he went outside and saw the officers. He said he heard two to three gunshots and then went back inside.
"It's always seemed safe here," Cummings said. "It's a gated community. You would never expect anything like this to happen here."

T Park
09-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Hopefully a fund will be set up for the kids, and be posted a link to it here so we can help out.

marini martini
09-21-2007, 05:18 PM
That's so frickin' sad! Two children under 5 :depressed

Sunshine
09-21-2007, 05:26 PM
That's so frickin' sad! Two children under 5 :depressed

I know. Makes me want to cry to think that they might be too young to really remember their dad as they get older.

JoeChalupa
09-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Such a tragic event and I pray for his family.

fatsack
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
Moreno was struck in the face.

and with a shotgun...

oh man.

T Park
09-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Hopefully when they are older, they do understand that their father was a hero.

He might have had flaws, but he is and was a hero.

Sunshine
09-21-2007, 05:41 PM
and with a shotgun...

oh man.

Yep. I'm glad they shot the guy.

This was related to the story we saw last night and you thought it was at your old apartments.

Sunshine
09-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Hopefully when they are older, they do understand that their father was a hero.

He might have had flaws, but he is and was a hero.

I'm sure they will. They'll understand what a sacrifice their father made for their city.

Faccia di Angelo
09-21-2007, 05:42 PM
That is so heartbreaking. I have so much respect for these officers who put their lives on the line just to protect and serve. I don't see why people feel the need to do things like this. I honestly don't. I definitely am keeping him and his family in my prayers :(

Melmart1
09-21-2007, 05:48 PM
Rest in Peace.

My grandpa was SAPD for over 30 years and he told me that in the line of duty, he only had to draw his gun 6 times and only fired it twice. Of course, he worked in a whole different era. I can't imagine how often you do it now, and how much riskier the job is. Its times like these that hopefully give perspective to some of the cop-haters, too. There are far too many.

ZStomp
09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Sad news indeed guys. Somber day....... :(

ZStomp
09-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Rest in Peace.

My grandpa was SAPD for over 30 years and he told me that in the line of duty, he only had to draw his gun 6 times and only fired it twice. Of course, he worked in a whole different era. I can't imagine how often you do it now, and how much riskier the job is. Its times like these that hopefully give perspective to some of the cop-haters, too. There are far too many.

That's surprising that he only pulled his gun out 6 times in 30 years. I've been on a year and have pulled it twice.

T Park
09-21-2007, 05:55 PM
My grandpa was SAPD for over 30 years and he told me that in the line of duty, he only had to draw his gun 6 times and only fired it twice. Of course, he worked in a whole different era. I can't imagine how often you do it now, and how much riskier the job is. Its times like these that hopefully give perspective to some of the cop-haters, too. There are far too many

God bless your grandfather for his service.

T Park
09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Thank you for your service as well ZStomp.

spurs=bling
09-21-2007, 06:01 PM
:(

God bless his family.

Melmart1
That's surprising that he only pulled his gun out 6 times in 30 years. I've been on a year and have pulled it twice.
Well, he suffered a bad knee injury in a car crash and spent the last decade or so at the impound yard that was on one of the bases, I forget which one. So really it was more like 20 years. He also worked dispatch for several years before that, he was famous for fucking with the rookies. :lol

But remember, he started in the early 60s. Things were not what they are now. "Gangs" fought with fists and occasionally knives, not guns. Plus, people respected the police and didn't start mouthing off or threatening them like some big shit like I have seen happen a few times. He was also in the Air Force reserve since Korea, and for many years spent about a month a year partaking of that duty. So that would subtract a few years as well.

marini martini
My Father was a cop also for the US Army (CID)
Thanks to your Grandpa, Mel and God Bless him & Z Stomp

FromWayDowntown
09-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I remember back in 1995 when Fabian Dominguez was shot after stopping on his way home -- after his shift -- to investigate a robbery that took place about a block or two from his home. Like Detective Moreno, he was simply doing his duty when a bad guy decided that he didn't want to be caught.

I'll never forget that Officer Dominguez and his wife had twin daughters who were infants at the time of his death. The State executed his killer, Johnathan Moore, last spring IIRC. The E-N ran an interesting piece on the Dominguez girls 12 years later and their view of executing the killer of a father they barely knew. Poignant, to say the least.

A sad part of this story, in that sense, is that the world probably won't hear much of the story of the Mendoza girls and their efforts to cope with the loss of their father. But I'm sure we all will keep them in our thoughts and prayers!

Trainwreck2100
09-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd like to know how many bullets were put into the suspect

Sapphire
09-21-2007, 09:07 PM
We really only care about the one. Glad the officer's wife doesn't have to suffer through a trial where the killer gets to tell us all how abused he was.

marini martini
09-21-2007, 09:09 PM
^ :clap

mavsfan1000
09-21-2007, 09:20 PM
I hate officers. That said I hate to see people die. What a crappy job to have.

timvp
09-21-2007, 10:17 PM
R.I.P.

2Blonde
09-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm the daughter of a police officer and usually I'm sad but put these things out of my mind, but for some reason this one hit me hard today. Maybe it was because his younger child is only a few months old. I saw them interviewing Father Jimmy Drennan, the police chaplain & a former officer himself, tonight on KSAT. He also happens to be our parish priest.
I remember the fear and excitement every time there would be something on TV when I was growing up. As a cop you always kind of see your father as a little bit of superhero but your heart falls into your stomach whenever you find out they are human and not bulletproof. My heart is so sad for these kids. :depressed

Trainwreck2100
09-22-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm the daughter of a police officer and usually I'm sad but put these things out of my mind, but for some reason this one hit me hard today. Maybe it was because his younger child is only a few months old. I saw them interviewing Father Jimmy Drennan, the police chaplain & a former officer himself, tonight on KSAT. He also happens to be our parish priest.
I remember the fear and excitement every time there would be something on TV when I was growing up. As a cop you always kind of see your father as a little bit of superhero but your heart falls into your stomach whenever you find out they are human and not bulletproof. My heart is so sad for these kids. :depressed

Is he still @ St. Pauls?

King
09-23-2007, 04:50 PM

ploto
09-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Is he still @ St. Pauls?

No- Fr. Jimmy's out at Spring Branch now.

2Blonde
09-24-2007, 01:29 AM
No- Fr. Jimmy's out at Spring Branch now.
Thank you for answering that Ploto. He is in Spring Branch at St. Joseph's Honey Creek out on Hwy46 near the Blanco Rd turn off. He's been there since the beginning of June, much to our delight. He is awesome and a joy to listen to. Many of his sermons feel like he is talking directly to you. My daughter even pays attention when he speaks which is absolutely unheard of.

BigBeezie
09-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I'm not a fan of cops....but they don't deserve this. No one deserves this...

King
09-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Community Bible Church is hosting this guy's funeral on Thursday - and they're looking at between 3500 and 4500 people attending.

Samr
09-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Wow. My brother-in-law (a surgeon, in residency) was part of the team that attended to detective Mario Moreno at the hospital. He said there was no way detective Moreno did not expire instantly. So the good news, I guess if you can call it that, is Mr. Moreno did not feel any pain.

It is a sad story in every regard, and I am even sure it is sad for the killer's family as well. That being said, the killer got what he deserved, in my opinion. By shooting an officer, he administered himself the death penalty.

RIP detective Mario Moreno

ZStomp
09-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Det. Moreno's wife requested that no one attending services wear black or dark colors except for Officers in uniform. She also requested that there be no graveside service. Just the rosary and viewing.

Obviously, her wishes are being granted. We (the department) would have liked to give him a graveside service, 21-gun salute and all. This is where the chief usually gets on the radio and broadcasts to all that his badge # will now be retired.

God Bless....

Cathreina
09-25-2007, 01:49 AM
ZStomp
I work in the ROP office and after visiting with the Moreno family yesterday, it was announced that since Mario will be cremated, department ceremonies such as the fly over by Eagle, retiring of the badge etc... will be held immediately in the church parking lot once the church service has ended. This is at the request of Mrs. Moreno and Marios family.
KK

ZStomp
09-25-2007, 09:43 PM
ZStomp
I work in the ROP office and after visiting with the Moreno family yesterday, it was announced that since Mario will be cremated, department ceremonies such as the fly over by Eagle, retiring of the badge etc... will be held immediately in the church parking lot once the church service has ended. This is at the request of Mrs. Moreno and Marios family.
KK

Thx for the info.

King
09-25-2007, 11:36 PM
Also, there will be a 21 gun salute. Precession is going to start from 1604 area, and go down to the church - bagpipes and all. CBC is going to send their camera feed to the news stations for the whole service inside, and then news stations will pick up the feed once the casket leaves the building.

And, like was said, there will be an immediate ceremony in the parking lot - helicopter flyover, etc.

Starts at 10am.

ZStomp
09-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Also, there will be a 21 gun salute. Precession is going to start from 1604 area, and go down to the church - bagpipes and all. CBC is going to send their camera feed to the news stations for the whole service inside, and then news stations will pick up the feed once the casket leaves the building.

And, like was said, there will be an immediate ceremony in the parking lot - helicopter flyover, etc.

Starts at 10am.

Yes, I just learned that a couple of hours ago.

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I'm glad WOAI is broadcasting the service.

It's also being Web cast at MySA.com.

ZStomp
10-06-2007, 08:31 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/crime/stories/MYSA100607.01A.Shooting.141955b27.html

Radio transmissions of that dreadful day. I'm listening now and it's something else to hear it as it's happening..as it's unfolding......