PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Owner, Country Star Behind "Heroes Tour"

ducks
09-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Spurs Owner, Country Star Behind "Heroes Tour"

While the Spurs are playing the Mavericks in Dallas November 15th, 15,000 screaming fans will be rocking their home back in San Antonio.

Country star Clay Walker is set to headline the first show in what they're calling "The Heroes Tour." Spurs Owner Peter Holt and the AT&T Center are part of the new drive to raise money for wounded troops.

Called "Military Heroes Support Foundation," the effort started small in Midland.
But now with Holt's help and the backing of other businesses here, they hope to start a whole new kind of drive to help the many wounded troops coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan.

"These are young men and women who've done what they've been asked and I think it's our job to support them in anything they need," Holt told us.

"They don't want a handout. What they want is the ability and potential to do whatever it takes to get re-integrated into society... whether it's job training or education or rehabilitation or whatever, and their families need support."

Holt came home from Vietnam with a Silver Star, Three Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart. But he also felt something was missing. "In Vietnam, when the soldiers came back they got blamed."

"And so I believe the country turned its back on the Vietnam veterans and that's my opinion as a Vietnam veteran."

Holt sees a big difference today, one he wants to support. "What I've been so proud of during the Iraq and Afghanistan war, whether you agree with the war or don't agree with the war, is that our country has not turned its back on our soldiers."

So Holt was more than happy to join up with the Military Warriors Support Foundation to start "The Heroes Tour" here at the AT&T Center. But that's just the first step.

"Absolutely, our goal of course, first, is here in Texas - San Antonio, Houston and Dallas. But there have also been some entertainers who said they'd be interested in doing something on a nationwide basis."

Holt also told us he hopes the concerts will lead to more attention being paid to helping the wounded.

"It's gonna be the grass roots effort that needs to go on, retraining, scholarships, those kinds of things, that this (Heroes Tour) will help support."

Many of the troops that will receive help and support through the tour are being treated not far from the AT&T Center at Brooke Army Medical Center.

Retired Army Maj. Gen. Leroy Sisco told us the treatment and support troops get at BAMC is tremendous, but can never be enough.

"What we want to do is to fill the holes that our government doesn't provide for them. There's a lot of holes they don't provide. They do a wonderful job, but not enough, when they (soldiers) go back to the civilian world, they need a lot of help, and we want to do that."

Some of the men and women now recovering at BAMC will be special guests at the concert. And giving them special recognition will be a big part of the night.

"Honoring these warriors will be a very special time," General Sisco says.

You can get tickets and more information about that November 15th concert at the foundation's website militarywarriors.org.

T Park
09-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Bravo and props to Peter Holt.

For sure will support this.

:tu

T Park
09-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Hey Ducks, you got the link to this? I'd love to send this out to everyone I know so we can get the word out and support this 1000%.

ChumpDumper
09-21-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.woai.com/content/news/beamer/story.aspx?content_id=c9b7c77c-ea0a-463b-88c5-0988140646cc&rss=68

T Park
09-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks Chump.

ducks
09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
thnaks chumb I got busy