PDA

View Full Version : INTELLECTUALS: Serious Question...

MrChug
09-22-2007, 01:33 AM
What is YOUR definition of an "intellectual"? If you are one you won't really have to think about it. Someone called me that and their definition of it threw me. We'll get into that later if I can find some good answers. I want to know YOURS.

Any thoughts?

timvp
09-22-2007, 01:34 AM
What is YOUR definition of an "intellectual"? If you are one you won't really have to think about it. Someone called me that and their definition of it threw me. We'll get into that later if I can find some good answers. I want to know YOURS.

Any thoughts?When in doubt, go with C.

2Blonde
09-22-2007, 02:05 AM
Any thoughts?

No, they make my head hurt~ :lol

SRJ
09-22-2007, 02:13 AM
For me, an intellectual is one who is well-read, skeptical, insightful, and resists being part of a group.

I'm not saying that's the definition, but it's my definition. And to me it's complimentary, though there are many consider the term "intellectual" to be a pejorative.

The sone
09-22-2007, 02:38 AM
big words make brain have pain...

Mister Sinister
09-22-2007, 02:44 AM
For me, an intellectual is someone who takes an active interest in expanding their horizons, if only (or especially) for the sake of it.

Wild Cobra
09-22-2007, 06:10 AM
I have to agree with SRJ. I would add that an intellectual doesn't jump to conclusions also. I could think of other things, but why? Like SRJ, I agree there will be differences in opinion.

Intelligence itself doesn't have any specific characteristic. I would consider it to be an above average understanding of one or more fields.

Mr. Dictionary
09-22-2007, 08:30 AM
in·tel·lec·tu·al
–adjective
1. appealing to or engaging the intellect: intellectual pursuits.
2. of or pertaining to the intellect or its use: intellectual powers.
3. possessing or showing intellect or mental capacity, esp. to a high degree: an intellectual person.
4. guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational.
5. characterized by or suggesting a predominance of intellect: an intellectual way of speaking.
–noun
6. a person of superior intellect.
7. a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, esp. on an abstract and general level.
8. an extremely rational person; a person who relies on intellect rather than on emotions or feelings.
9. a person professionally engaged in mental labor, as a writer or teacher.
10. intellectuals, Archaic.
a. the mental faculties.
b. things pertaining to the intellect.

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME < L intelléctuālis, equiv. to intelléctu-, s. of intelléctus intellect + -ālis -al1]

Wild Cobra
09-22-2007, 08:37 AM
4. guided or developed by or relying on the intellect rather than upon emotions or feelings; rational.

8. an extremely rational person; a person who relies on intellect rather than on emotions or feelings.

Being more conservative that liberal, I like these two. We conservatives tend to operate in these manners rather than being guided by emotions, political correctness, etc.

leemajors
09-22-2007, 08:39 AM
someone who's intelligent enough not to refer to themselves as one.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-22-2007, 09:03 AM
A man big enough to admit his mistakes, smart enough to profit from them and strong enough to correct them.

pussyface.
09-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Does anyone else see the irony of MrChug making a thread about "intellectuals"? I hope so.

Bonus points for casually dropping the fact that some poor soul referred to him as one, as if the whole point of this thread wasn't simply to inform everybody that someone in this world actually thinks he's smart.

baseline bum
09-22-2007, 09:43 AM
A person who does reading outside of Spurstalk

maxpower
09-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Anyone who uses 'pwn' or any similar "hip" counter-spelling is automatically disqualified.

Mister Sinister
09-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Anyone who uses 'pwn' or any similar "hip" counter-spelling is automatically disqualified.
What if they use 'pwn' in its proper context, and not just for the sake of it? Because I use both 'own' and 'pwn' to mean the same thing, it just depends on what I'm feeling like using.

CuckingFunt
09-22-2007, 10:50 AM
–noun
6. a person of superior intellect.
7. a person who places a high value on or pursues things of interest to the intellect or the more complex forms and fields of knowledge, as aesthetic or philosophical matters, esp. on an abstract and general level.
Mr. Dictionary pretty much nailed my definition.

CuckingFunt
09-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Unless said "hip" counter-spelling is being used as a form of irony or sarcasm.

Extra Stout
09-22-2007, 11:26 AM
A pompous know-it-all jackass who likes to hear himself talk and read his own posts.

bigzak25
09-22-2007, 11:39 AM
well there's a shitload of intellectuals here then...

tlongII
09-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I just might be an intellectual.

ploto
09-22-2007, 12:31 PM
An intellectual is someone who values the pursuit of knowledge at its deeper levels, and not just on the surface; someone who delves into the subject and examines the connection between various areas of knowledge; someone who tries to discover the why's and wherefore's, and not just the what's. I do not think that a person has to be devoid of emotion to be an intellectual. I also think a person can be intellectual AND spiritual, but some here will probably disagree with that.

As to the OP- it was probably meant as an insult, implying that you think you are smarter than the person who called you it.

ShoogarBear
09-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Being more conservative that liberal, I like these two. We conservatives tend to operate in these manners rather than being guided by emotions, political correctness, etc.:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

tlongII
09-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I just might be an intellectual.

or a redneck.

DarkReign
09-22-2007, 05:00 PM
All politicians are intellectual.

I am a politician.

ShoogarBear
09-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Socrates is a cat.

Beno Udrih
09-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Any thoughts?
I'm pretty sure they were joking. Because you're a complete retard.

Nbadan
09-22-2007, 07:24 PM
...If you can't spot one, chances are your not one....

Flo-Rida
09-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Ya im one intellectual NiggA

ChumpDumper
09-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Being more conservative that liberal, I like these two. We conservatives tend to operate in these manners rather than being guided by emotions, political correctness, etc.If you brag about being in the "99%+++ percentile of intelligence" and put me on ignore in the political forum because I corrected your assertion that Mogadishu is located in Sudan and that Clinton was president in 2003, you are definitely an intellectual.

Ignignokt
09-22-2007, 08:19 PM
If you brag about being in the "99%+++ percentile of intelligence" and put me on ignore in the political forum because I corrected your assertion that Mogadishu is located in Sudan and that Clinton was president in 2003, you are definitely an intellectual.

Getting butthurt over whott's statement and believing he's going to nuke your relatives, is rational, logical, and a mark of a true intellectual.

spurster
09-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Being more conservative that liberal, I like these two. We conservatives tend to operate in these manners rather than being guided by emotions, political correctness, etc.

He listens to Rush, believes Rush, and now considers himself an intellectual? I think deluded is more like it.

ChumpDumper
09-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Getting butthurt over whott's statement and believing he's going to nuke your relatives, is rational, logical, and a mark of a true intellectual.I'm no intellectual. Whottt can't nuke anybody.

gtownspur
09-22-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm no intellectual. Whottt can't nuke anybody.

But he can sure smoke anybody and anything.

no pun intended.

Wild Cobra
09-23-2007, 12:03 AM
He listens to Rush, believes Rush, and now considers himself an intellectual? I think deluded is more like it.
There you go again... personal attacks...

Mister Sinister
09-23-2007, 01:03 AM
But he can sure smoke anybody and anything.

no pun intended.
In b4 faggotry.

Spurs>All
09-23-2007, 01:44 AM
There you go again... personal attacks...

Truth hurts, don't it?

peewee's lovechild
09-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Intellectual = anyone who is not a Republican.

:)

Wild Cobra
09-23-2007, 02:01 AM
Truth hurts, don't it?
Problem is, your statement are slanderous, not true. All you are is a petty troublemaker. You are diverting the actual thread. Maybe you and a few others should be banned?

The sone
09-23-2007, 03:36 AM
z stomp...i mean look at what he did in the short amount of time he was here... i aint seen him much...but dam!

The sone
09-23-2007, 03:37 AM
that boy is smooth!

The sone
09-23-2007, 03:38 AM
its like "planet of the gapes" and "arma-get-it-on"...all over again...wheres the afleck kid and the cameras....