PDA

View Full Version : Pop will be part of the "You Can Too" initiative launched by Divac

biba
09-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Pop is great! :clap :clap :clap (and of course Divac is great too )

Divac Creates New Team With “You Can Too” Campaign
Posted Sep 22 2007 11:35AM
http://www.nba.com/news/divac_youcantoo_070922.html

CHICAGO, Sept. 17, 2007 – Sixteen-year NBA veteran Vlade Divac announced today that he has launched the “You Can Too” initiative, a four-month campaign to benefit refugees of Serbia and Africa. The program tips off from Sept. 21-23, 2007, with a weekend fundraiser in Serbia that will feature a dinner, carnival, free concert and museum dedication. Divac, who will share the festivities with current and former NBA players and coaches, will also celebrate his official retirement from professional basketball during the weekend.
“You Can Too” aims to raise three million dollars to purchase and restore over 500 abandoned homes in villages throughout Serbia and Africa, providing shelter for approximately 2,000 refugees currently living homeless. The initiative is a collaborative effort between the United Nations Refugee Agency, the Serbian Refugees Committee, and the Humanitarian Organization Divac (HOD). HOD was founded by the seven-foot-one center and is led by his wife Snezana. Over the past nine years, Divac, through his Divac Children’s Foundation, has provided more than $2.5 million in humanitarian assistance and educational programs to children internationally and in the United States.

The three-day extravaganza begins on Friday, Sept. 21, with the “All Stars Party,” a ceremonial dinner at the White Palace in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. Hosted by the country’s royal family, Prince Aleksandar and Princess Katarina Karadjordjevic, the event will include entertainment and a grand-scale auction. On Saturday, Sept. 22, the festivities continue in Belgrade with a street basketball competition for children under the age of 16. The basketball contest will include champions from the “21 Across 21” Tournament, which began last weekend in 21 Serbian cities. To honor Divac’s number when he played for the Sacramento Kings, each of the 21 cities will host their own three-on-three tournament, with every winner advancing to the Belgrade event.

The evening of the 22nd, a carnival with as many as 500 children participating will take place at the capital’s Kalemegdan fortress, followed by a free concert at City Hall. The “Party for Serbia” concert will feature performances by special guests The James Brown Family, African musical artists Mori Cante and Raste, and Serbian performers Bajaga, Van Gogh, and others.

“It has always been my dream to host a spectacular event for Belgrade, my birth town of Prijepolje and the people of Serbia,” said Divac. “This is a way for me to thank everyone who believed in me throughout my career and helped me become the man I am today. I also want to take the opportunity to address the very important issues that face refugees, not only in my country, but in Africa as well. The ‘You Can Too’ initiative will reach out and help these people, and it is my hope that citizens everywhere will support the cause.”

The weekend concludes on Sunday, Sept. 23 with a trip to the small town of Prijepolje, Serbia. There, Divac will officially open the “Vlade Divac” Museum, an exhibition that chronicles a basketball career that began in Prijepolje when he was a tall 12-year-old boy dwarfing his teacher, and eventually ended in the NBA. The museum will display European jerseys and basketball-related equipment; practice gear and official NBA uniforms from the Los Angeles Lakers, Charlotte Hornets, and Kings; international competition medals; newspaper and magazine articles from all over the world; game video; photos; letters from fans and children; and a special section dedicated to his humanitarian efforts.

“My goal for the museum is to show young people today that you don’t have to be born in a big city to become successful,” said Divac. “Hard work, confidence, and respect are the keys to building a full life and thriving profession. I hope the museum illustrates this message and the children in Prijepolje learn from it.”

In addition to the many Serbian basketball legends on the guest list, former and current NBA players scheduled to appear at the event are Sasha Danilovic, Bobby Jackson (New Orleans Hornets), Toni Kukoc, Sarunas Marciulionis, Scot Pollard (Boston Celtics), Coach Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs), Dino Radja, Glen Rice, Peja Stojakovic (Hornets), Sasha Vujacic (Lakers), and Chris Webber.

Divac was selected by the Lakers with the 26th overall selection of the 1989 NBA Draft, and played for the Lakers (1989-96, 2004-05), Hornets (1996-98) and Kings (1998-2004) throughout his NBA career. The 2001 NBA All-Star joins Hakeem Olajuwon and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the only players in NBA history to amass 13,000 points, 9,000 rebounds, 3,000 assists and 1,500 blocked shots. A deft passer and one of the game’s most complete big men, Divac boasts career averages of 11.8 points, 8.2 rebounds, 3.1 assists, and 1.4 blocked shots in 1,134 total games. Divac, who played professionally in Serbia and Yugoslavia prior to joining the NBA ranks, helped guide Yugoslavia to a gold medal in the 2002 World Championships in Indianapolis.

samikeyp
09-23-2007, 09:00 AM
:tu

ploto
09-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Prireditve so se udeležila številna znana imena svetovne košarke - Greg Popovich, Chris Webber, Glenn Rice, Aleksandar Djordjević, Dejan Bodiroga, Predrag Stojaković, Predrag Danilović, Zoran Savić - med drugim pa je bil povabljen tudi Rašo Nesterovič. Preko spleta so se Divcu priklonili tudi Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, trener Phil Jackson ter skupina Red Hot Chili Peppers in reper Snoop Dog.

http://sportal.siol.net/default.asp?article_id=10041010709231637050

The former member of Serbia’s national basketball team and sixteen-year NBA veteran has launched the “You Can Too” campaign, set to last four months, aimed at raising funds and providing housing for refugees and displaced persons in Serbia.

“Today , the most important match of my life begins. With your help, the biggest and best team is looking to score a vital victory and help those deprived of their land, home, and friends who are now living in conditions unworthy of human beings,” said Divac...

Webber also addressed the crowd, saying "good evening" in Serbian.

“Vlade Divac has a heart of gold apart from being a great player. He is the best man I have ever met,” Webber said...
http://www.b92.net/eng/news/society-article.php?yyyy=2007&mm=09&dd=23&nav_category=102&nav_id=43980

Divac has always been a communal figure, the antithesis of the solo act, and at 39, he isn't about to change. His celebration this weekend is only partly about ceremonial dinners, the finals of a youth basketball tournament, a children's carnival at the majestic Kalemegdan plaza and an outdoor public concert in the historic downtown square. The other component is the launching of a collaborative campaign to raise $3 million for the purchase and restoration of abandoned homes in Serbia and Ethiopia.

"In Europe, when someone finishes a career," Divac explained the other day from Belgrade, "they organize a big retirement game. I choose to work with the United Nations (Refugee Agency) and the Serbian Refugees Committee to change lives. I just want to use my name to raise awareness, and I asked my friends, who have supported me all these years, to help with this cause."

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/394510.html

http://www.b92.net/news/pics/2007/09/62090760946f63792aee58030494533_MidCol.jpg
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/XSI11509222232.jpg

Slomo
09-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I wonder if Webber knows what the sign he is making really means...

Funny though, a black guy making a white nationalist gesture.

Kamnik
09-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Who cares...

And that thing wasnt invented in Serbia so it doesnt mean just that 1 thing.

Pero
09-23-2007, 01:24 PM
In addition to the many Serbian basketball legends on the guest list, former and current NBA players scheduled to appear at the event are Sasha Danilovic, Bobby Jackson (New Orleans Hornets), Toni Kukoc, Sarunas Marciulionis, Scot Pollard (Boston Celtics), Coach Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs), Dino Radja, Glen Rice, Peja Stojakovic (Hornets), Sasha Vujacic (Lakers), and Chris Webber.

What is he doing there?

Slomo
09-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Who cares...

And that thing wasnt invented in Serbia so it doesnt mean just that 1 thing.Neiher was the nazi salute invented in Germany, but we all know who made it infamous.

And just for the record. I've heard only good things about Divac's humanitarian efforts and I respect him for that and for remaining a patriot even while leaving in the US during the Kosovo campaign without crossing the line of bad taste and/or nationalism.

I also know the Serb will keep saluting in that way regardless of what I or anybody else thinks about the propriety of such gesture. I'll just write it off to tradition or stupidity.

But I am disgusted that a foreign athlete that is famous the world over and on top of that is part of an ethnic group that knows a thing or two about persecution would make that salute. Stupidity on that level is beyond excuse (the other possible explanations for his action are even worse).

And finally I refuse to let it go. Too many atrocities were comitted by people saluting each other in that fashion. It doesn't deserve to be forgotten.

mavs>spurs2
09-23-2007, 01:41 PM
What is he doing there?

He was born in Yugoslavia like Divac

ploto
09-23-2007, 01:55 PM
I also know the Serb will keep saluting in that way regardless of what I or anybody else thinks about the propriety of such gesture. I'll just write it off to tradition or stupidity.
I debated whether or not to post the photo, but I think he meant it more as a cultural type thing and nothing more. I doubt he is aware of its negative connotation.

Slomo
09-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm aware he probably did it because of ignorance.

Me wearing a white robe and pointy hood next time I'm in Mississippi would probably not be viewed as a "cultural type thing".

Pero
09-23-2007, 03:41 PM
He was born in Yugoslavia like Divac

Hmmm yeah, if you`re thinking Yugoslavia before Slovenia broke off, then yeah, but so were most other Slovenians. Why wasn`t Nachbar, Beno or Brezec invited? They did much more in basketball so far than Sasha (including Beno).

Pero
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Oh wait, I just remembered, Sasha and Divac were on the Lakers together right? I guess that`s the reason.

wildbill2u
09-24-2007, 11:06 AM
In addition to Pop's ethnic ties to the region and his love of charitable works, his participation certainly won't hurt him in recruiting more Euro players.

A win-win for CIA Pop.

hater
09-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Webber is signaling how many championships he would have liked to have

Kibic
09-25-2007, 12:56 AM
So now everybody know. No wonder he can not go with Beno.

Solid D
09-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Slomo, the White Nationalist sign is probably something people (not just Chris Webber) should know about but there are so many things that have dual, sometimes even contrasting meanings, depending on the culture. When George, Laura and Jenna Bush signaled the Hook 'em Horns sign at a political rally, it was one of those University of Texas constituancy allegiance things. Yet, some people said he was doing a Satanic sign or even the European insult that someone was a cuckold (had a cheating wife).

I've seen people, brotha's and otherwise, signal "peace-out" by hitting their fist to their chest twice and then throw their hand out with the peace sign with their thumb along for the ride, just out there with the other two fingers. We can't tell from the picture of Chris Webber what the entire signal to the people was. Sometimes, it is a completely innocent situation like...(creating a scenario) Chris asked Vlade for a couple of anti-inflamatory tablets for his creaky knees... Vlade gives them to Chris and while waiting to go off-stage to get a drink, Chris holds the two Motrin in his last two fingers and waves or "peace-outs" those in attendance. :lol 'Lots of possibilities.

Slomo
09-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Slomo, the White Nationalist sign is probably something people (not just Chris Webber) should know about but there are so many things that have dual, sometimes even contrasting meanings, depending on the culture. When George, Laura and Jenna Bush signaled the Hook 'em Horns sign at a political rally, it was one of those University of Texas constituancy allegiance things. Yet, some people said he was doing a Satanic sign or even the European insult that someone was a cuckold (had a cheating wife).

I've seen people, brotha's and otherwise, signal "peace-out" by hitting their fist to their chest twice and then throw their hand out with the peace sign with their thumb along for the ride, just out there with the other two fingers. We can't tell from the picture of Chris Webber what the entire signal to the people was. Sometimes, it is a completely innocent situation like...(creating a scenario) Chris asked Vlade for a couple of anti-inflamatory tablets for his creaky knees... Vlade gives them to Chris and while waiting to go off-stage to get a drink, Chris holds the two Motrin in his last two fingers and waves or "peace-outs" those in attendance. :lol 'Lots of possibilities.Unfortunately no.

I've seen the video on TV. He came out and greeted the crowd in Serbian like rock stars do (you know the "Hello Memphis" thing or whatever) and waving an enthusiastic 3 finger salute which was met by huge roar of the crowd. He did it for a cheap thrill and ovations that he neither deserved nor were they really intended for him.

How come Pop didn't do it? Or Vlade? (actually there are news reports that Glen Rice did it too, but I haven't seen it).

I'm also a bit disapointed that you are defending the gesture and trying to minimize its meaning - Writing it off as something that would have only been noticed by over sensitive locals.

Let's say that Beckham while playing an exhibition game in Saudi Arabia would say in a TV interview that he didn't think the destruction of the twin towers was such a bad thing. Following the outcry on the forum I would go and defend him by saying that he didn't mean it and he probably wanted to say that America has the architects, engineers and funds to rebuild them - WTF!?!?!

What Webber did was idiotic regardless of his motives and he should feel some kind of heat in the media because he did it. Apparently his not going to...

Slomo
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
So now everybody know. No wonder he can not go with Beno.Idiot!

Solid D
09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
It would be good to know what C-Webb's intentions were. Someone should bring it to his attention. It's not "funny" but it is odd (I'm sure that's what you meant) that an African-American would salute with a White Nationalist hand gesture. I don't think C-Webb would think it funny if he knew.

My point was, different hand gestures mean different things in different cultures so I guess when Bush signals "Hook 'em Horns", he is going to offend some husbands, some Christians and some Oklahoma University alumni in so doing.

Pero
09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
So now everybody know. No wonder he can not go with Beno.

Idiot!

I don`t get it. :wtf