PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs' moves pay off

Kori Ellis
12-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Spurs' moves pay off
Web Posted: 12/16/2004 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121604.1D.BKNspurs.magic.gamer.f4de270.html

After an afternoon given to speculation about a player some believed the Spurs were about to add but still haven't, the Spurs were content Wednesday night to use the players they have to defeat the Orlando Magic, 94-91.

All the Spurs know about Karl Malone possibly joining them is what they read or hear. What they didn't know when they arrived at the SBC Center was whether Tony Parker would suit up.

His strained left groin had kept him out of practice for two days, but he was able to start and get them off to a good start. The Spurs led by as many as 13 in the first half.

And Parker's backup, Beno Udrih, was well prepared to play every minute of a fourth quarter that required a comeback after a third quarter in which the Spurs were outscored by 16.

Finally, in the final 10.3 seconds they were most relieved that the Magic no longer had Tracy McGrady to take the 3-point shot Orlando needed to send the game to overtime.

McGrady, of course, nailed four 3-pointers in the final 35 seconds in Houston to beat the Spurs a week ago.

The Spurs knew that Steve Francis, the guard the Magic got from the Rockets to replace McGrady, had dribbled out the clock in a close game against them last season, and Wednesday they lured him into a decision every bit as unsuccessful.

Daring Francis to drive to the basket when only a 3-point shot could hurt them, the Spurs stayed tight on every other shooter while Francis took the ball into the lane against backup point guard Mike Wilks, inserted expressly for those final 10.3 seconds.

By the time he got into the lane, Francis realized his mistake but couldn't find an open teammate. He dribbled into the corner and fired up a wild shot that missed everything.

Asked if putting the 5-foot-11 Wilks on Francis, who is 6-3, was designed to lure Francis into making such a tactical mistake, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich couldn't keep a sly smile from showing.

"We just played the 3-point line and told them if anybody drives, let them drive," Popovich said, "but let's get up in them and make everybody a driver and everybody else stay with your guy."

Wilks didn't expect to get the call during the timeout Orlando had called to set up a play for a potential game-tying shot.

"I was a little surprised, but I've been thrown in those situations a time or two before," he said. "That's the NBA. You have to be ready at all times. I'm just thankful it worked out."

For his part, Francis insisted he was thinking drive-and-kick but discovered there was no teammate available for a pass.

"I came in there to see if there was someone open, and I couldn't find anybody," Francis said. "I couldn't believe it."

Wilks' ability to scramble back on Francis before he could get off an open 3-pointer made the defensive stratagem work.

"Mike Wilks did really well," Popovich said, "because when Stevie drove a lot of guys might have relaxed, and then Stevie could have gotten back out to the 3-point line for an open shot. But he stayed right on him, kept a hand up, didn't foul him and did a great job."

Francis' game-ending sequence kept the Spurs from wasting a fourth-quarter rally that was keyed by Udrih and Manu Ginobili. Udrih ran the offense while Parker rested his sore leg, and Ginobili scored 11 of his 17 points in the fourth.

Meanwhile, Malone, reported by one Internet site Wednesday afternoon to have agreed to terms with the Spurs, was believed to be on his ranch in Arkansas when the game tipped off. He also was believed to have missed several phone calls made the past two days by Popovich, who remains interested in signing him to a contract but might be running out of patience.

Kori Ellis
12-16-2004, 02:35 AM
Popovich "running out of patience" is interesting. It's probably CIA for "he's signing tomorrow" :lol

timvp
12-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Nice job, Princess. You are understanding the ways of the CIA.

As my friend ducks would say, "shooters CIA as play, Pop know if".

:drunk

Rick Von Braun
12-16-2004, 02:56 AM
As my friend ducks would say, "shooters CIA as play, Pop know if".

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidrunk.gifShiiiit... Dude, you owe me a new keyboard. I spit my drink all over when reading your post.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/lmao.gif

milkyway21
12-16-2004, 03:11 AM
He also was believed to have missed several phone calls made the past two days by Popovich, who remains interested in signing him to a contract but might be running out of patience.[/B][/QUOTE] :cuss :wtf :pctoss

Mr. Body
12-16-2004, 03:13 AM
The article says:

He also was believed to have missed several phone calls made the past two days by Popovich

What an odd way to put it. Who believes this? Why the passive voice?

Also, of course, he might have missed several phone calls made, but that one he did get, that one was fine...

mattyc
12-16-2004, 03:24 AM
Meanwhile, Malone, reported by one Internet site Wednesday afternoon to have agreed to terms with the Spurs, was believed to be on his ranch in Arkansas when the game tipped off. He also was believed to have missed several phone calls made the past two days by Popovich, who remains interested in signing him to a contract but might be running out of patience.
Doesn't sound like a guy who wants to desperately be a Spur.

Hope his phone is broken.
:elephant

Oh, and props to Wilks.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-16-2004, 04:16 AM
After applying that quote about not answering the phone into my Cracker Jack box CIA Pop Decoder disc, that means Malone is coming soon.

ducks
12-16-2004, 08:32 AM
By the time he got into the lane, Francis realized his mistake but couldn't find an open teammate.

Dex
12-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Tim Duncan plays for the Spurs. :spin