PDA

View Full Version : XP ownes Vista roll call!....

Al Gore
09-25-2007, 01:12 AM
IN!

2Blonde
09-25-2007, 01:19 AM
IN!

OUT... I'm happy with Vista. More and more programs are becoming compatible with it. Granted it has a huge learning curve, but I think it's worth it.

Al Gore
09-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Wait till 2008 when anew version of worm blaster attacks Vista :lmao

Al Gore
09-25-2007, 01:30 AM
any pics?

Al Gore
09-25-2007, 01:32 AM
How did the house come out?

2Blonde
09-25-2007, 02:04 AM
How did the house come out?

Fantastic !!! lovin' life here in my own little chunk of the world?

Beno Udrih
09-25-2007, 02:07 AM
Out. I'm happy with vista too.

PakiDan
09-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Out.

CuckingFunt
09-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Out.

degenerate_gambler
09-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Until you use a torrent :lamo

explain please...

http://www.communityguide.com.au/upload_images/level_1_images_small/Milton%20Park%20Computer%20Services%20001.jpg

leemajors
09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
MS offering free downgrades:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/windows/microsoft-offering-vista+to+xp-downgrade-option-to-anyone-not-just-oems-303067.php

While many sites today are claiming that MS is only offering Vista-to-XP downgrade discs to OEMs, CNet Asia found out that Microsoft support will allow anybody with a copy of Vista Ultimate or Business to call and request a downgrade disc themselves, just like it says in the license terms. So there you have it, any Joe Schmo can pick up a Vista downgrade disc as long as they have a nice enough version of Vista.

DarkReign
09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Out. Vista is a-OK in my book.

Hook Dem
09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Vista is new and requires some learning which is a challenge to some. I like it!

Pistons < Spurs
09-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Out. I installed Vista a few months back, and was waiting for all the compatibility issues that I've been hearing about since forever....but they never arose. I've had no issues whatsoever. Vista owns XP.

leemajors
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
has vista caught up to XP in game tests yet? my father in law has a developer's license for XP, so i won't be considering a switch until he decides to get one for vista.

blizz
09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
out

boutons_
09-25-2007, 10:51 PM
I've read a few articles where Vista turns some machines into dogs (processor too slow (under 2 GHz), 512 Mb not enough RAM). Corps are not rushing to abandon XP. The retail OS-upgrade market essentially doesn't exist, never has. 99% of people upgrade their OS by buying a new machine with the new OS

And now MS has officially setup a Vista-to-XP downgrade path. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

http://www.news.com/The-XP-alternative-for-Vista-PCs/2100-1016_3-6209481.html?tag=nefd.pop

THE SIXTH MAN
09-26-2007, 02:17 AM
out.

exstatic
09-26-2007, 07:27 AM
You really can't judge a MS OS until the second Service Pack is out. They're all fucking buggy as hell on release day.

I'm on the fence. I have one Vista Ultimate system and two XP systems. What would be nice is if someone were to use nLite to put out a version of tiny Vista.

resistanze
09-26-2007, 07:38 AM
In.

I got vista for my laptop back in December, and got rid of it after I few months. It had some stupid glitch where my CPU usage would spike to 100% on both cores whenever I booted up my PC. I'll wait till a service pack or two come out for Vista.

Cry Havoc
09-26-2007, 08:53 AM
In for now, based on numerous hardware conflicts I've seen with my friends computers (who have advanced degrees in programming and networking).

Of course, the best OS is still NetBSD... now if it was only easy to use.

I have a dual boot machine, XP with Ubuntu Linux. Best of both worlds.

baseline bum
09-26-2007, 09:20 AM
In for now, based on numerous hardware conflicts I've seen with my friends computers (who have advanced degrees in programming and networking).

Of course, the best OS is still NetBSD... now if it was only easy to use.

I have a dual boot machine, XP with Ubuntu Linux. Best of both worlds.

What makes NetBSD stand out? I've never used it. The best and most stable OS I've ever used is Linux From Scratch, followed by OpenBSD. I just gave Fedora7 a try because I wanted a 64-bit Linux on my new system and didn't want to go to the trouble to build a multilib LFS, and man, Fedora is a steaming pile of crap. It's almost as bad as Gentoo as far as packages being incompatible.

Is NetBSD all that different from OpenBSD? I've never used FreeBSD either, as it seems like the BSD Gentoo.

Cry Havoc
09-26-2007, 10:22 AM
What makes NetBSD stand out? I've never used it. The best and most stable OS I've ever used is Linux From Scratch, followed by OpenBSD. I just gave Fedora7 a try because I wanted a 64-bit Linux on my new system and didn't want to go to the trouble to build a multilib LFS, and man, Fedora is a steaming pile of crap. It's almost as bad as Gentoo as far as packages being incompatible.

Is NetBSD all that different from OpenBSD? I've never used FreeBSD either, as it seems like the BSD Gentoo.

NetBSD isn't all that different from FreeBSD, from what I've heard. Basically, there are minor internal differences between the two (such as the entire kernel for Net being contained in one file) that end up being a different OS, but not substantial enough for most people to notice.

I honestly haven't used the OSes enough to personally give a blow-by-blow account, but I've seen a couple of friends use it, and it's absolutely insane. They had 17 media files playing at once while simultaneously performing a couple compiling operations. AND surfing. I think there are similar videos up on youtube. Linux is simply not as efficient at memory management, although MUCH easier to use, especially the new Ubuntu builds.

If you really want to see how powerful Linux is in comparison to Vista, do a search for Beryl vs. Vista in youtube.

Slomo
09-26-2007, 10:33 AM
IN - too many of the high end stuff just doesn't work properly

OpenBSD owns all :)

Seriously the BSD family is very similar with different scopes to them. Quick and dirty differences (nuances are much more complicated).

OpenBSD - Security and hardware support - Best security record in the industry
NetBSD - Emphasis on running on many different hardware platforms
FreeBSD - Empahsis on network operations/heavy duty servers

We've started using OpenBSD for all out IT backbone infrastructure a few years back and never looked back. It requires an investment in knowledge but then it just blows everything else away.

P.S. ST is running on OpenBSD :)

baseline bum
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Does NetBSD use those stupid strl* procedures (ie, strlcpy) like OpenBSD? Those are slow as hell, and have no business being in libc. OpenBSD has shitty graphical performance because it won't run X setuid root. Still, it's very easy to use, and much more stable and easy to maintain than is Linux.

My favorite part of OpenBSD is the man pages. They absolutely destroy the Linux equivalents. Also, their wireless driver for my card (it's Atheros) kills the native Linux and even the Windows drivers (although I think it was developed by the FreeBSD project).

baseline bum
09-26-2007, 12:03 PM

Seriously the BSD family is very similar with different scopes to them. Quick and dirty differences (nuances are much more complicated).

We've started using OpenBSD for all out IT backbone infrastructure a few years back and never looked back. It requires an investment in knowledge but then it just blows everything else away.

Can I assume that NetBSD has the most mature AMD64 support? FreeBSD says their AMD64 branch is too young to be rock-solid. I'm not going to use OpenBSD as a main OS when it doesn't offer hardware accelerated graphics.

It's unbelievable how little support there is on the AMD64 platform (especially from 3rd party software, like Flash), considering it has been the standard not only at AMD, but on Intel chips too in the past year.

I wonder if NetBSD's ports tree is easy to use to build 32-bit applications. For instance, 32-bit mplayer kills 64-bit. All my videos look like shit using the 64-bit codecs.

Slomo
09-26-2007, 12:12 PM
I'll freely admit to have a very limited knowledge of Xwin under OpenBSD because as I said we use it mainly for our backbone infrastructure and servers, where a GUI is really not needed.

You understand that the setuid thing is a security thing? In a secure system root shouldn't be used at all. We are all lazy and do it on our machines, but on a commercial system we really don't.

The man pages are very good. It's the openBSD philosophy where the documentation is as much part of the OS as the code is, so until a fuction's man page is complete the function itself is not considered fuilly operational.

And running X on OpenBSD might not be the best thing, but build any type of secure network and I'll bet you than we can do it better with OpenBSD than with anything else.

I do not know how it is with NetBSD and the AMD 64(in theory they are the ones that spend most time on the portability of their OS to different platforms). OpenBSD works really nice on those, but if graphic support is what you're after then OpenBSD is probbly not your best choice.

Most of the problems with hardware support comes from the unwillingness of the manufacturers to share the drivers code under a free public licence. AMD for a while cooperated with OpenBSD very well, but now with the new Vista guidelines problems are coming back.

Bigzax
09-26-2007, 12:24 PM
windows 98 rules!

Al Gore
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
windows 98 rules!

98 Plus with that heavy metal intro!
:wakeup

Inbred
09-26-2007, 12:51 PM

Can someone translate this into English for me?

DarkReign
09-26-2007, 12:52 PM
98 Plus with that heavy metal intro!

Didnt you invent the internet on Windows 3.1?

DarkReign
09-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Yes.....

Theyre both IT guys (thats Information Technology). Networking your computer and your moms is done with a simple router or a crossover cable.

Networking 300+ computers to one server that updates in real-time as the 300+ employees work on stuff is entirely another.

Stability. Security. Support.

So, Slomo and BB kick knowledge about stuff only people in the industry would know. It would be like 2 doctors coming into a thread and kicking their knowledge in its native Latin classifications and only the lawyers could follow.

baseline bum
09-26-2007, 01:49 PM
I'll freely admit to have a very limited knowledge of Xwin under OpenBSD because as I said we use it mainly for our backbone infrastructure and servers, where a GUI is really not needed.

You understand that the setuid thing is a security thing? In a secure system root shouldn't be used at all. We are all lazy and do it on our machines, but on a commercial system we really don't.

The man pages are very good. It's the openBSD philosophy where the documentation is as much part of the OS as the code is, so until a fuction's man page is complete the function itself is not considered fuilly operational.

And running X on OpenBSD might not be the best thing, but build any type of secure network and I'll bet you than we can do it better with OpenBSD than with anything else.

I do not know how it is with NetBSD and the AMD 64(in theory they are the ones that spend most time on the portability of their OS to different platforms). OpenBSD works really nice on those, but if graphic support is what you're after then OpenBSD is probbly not your best choice.

Most of the problems with hardware support comes from the unwillingness of the manufacturers to share the drivers code under a free public licence. AMD for a while cooperated with OpenBSD very well, but now with the new Vista guidelines problems are coming back.

Yeah, I get OpenBSD wants no process running as root, but I'm looking at desktop use. Setuid X is a lot better idea than creating my character devices with lower permissions. An unpriveledged X process isn't going to work very well with Beryl. :lol

There's no reason to expect companies like ATI and nVidia to share their HALs when they've got millions invested in their hardware. I hate the GPL, and how most Linux distros are crippled out of box because of it. Could you imagine where computing would be if Berkeley GPLed their networking code?

Still, AMD has released the source to a lot of the drivers for older ATI hardware to the XOrg foundation (I think everything up to r300), and I know Intel has open-sourced their graphics drivers.

baseline bum
09-26-2007, 01:57 PM
windows 98 rules!

:lol

98 was the worst Microsoft OS ever created, except for Win95, 3.1, 3.11, DOS, ME, and Vista.

Slomo
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I get OpenBSD wants no process running as root, but I'm looking at desktop use. Setuid X is a lot better idea than creating my character devices with lower permissions. An unpriveledged X process isn't going to work very well with Beryl. :lolI understand why you want to do it, but no way! Theo is quite adament about this sort of stuff. You should have seen the faces of the people when I booted up my XP notebook in the middle of a conference where most of the european developers, Theo and some of the US guys were present. The debate was quite fun afterwards (I had the upper hand since I had a car in the hotel parking lot with a trunk full of Slovenian beer and the bar was closed :lol).

There's no reason to expect companies like ATI and nVidia to share their HALs when they've got millions invested in their hardware. I hate the GPL, and how most Linux distros are crippled out of box because of it. Could you imagine where computing would be if Berkeley GPLed their networking code?

Still, AMD has released the source to a lot of the drivers for older ATI hardware to the XOrg foundation (I think everything up to r300), and I know Intel has open-sourced their graphics drivers.Well I've heard that many hardware manufacturers would be willing to share their codes in order to sell more hardware on more platforms, but the recent contracts with Microsoft makes it almost impossible since Microsoft would not certify their hardware and it scares MS user away (their biggest market by far).

Yeah thank god for the few smart people from Berkeley.

velik_m
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I switched from win98 to winXP this year, and so far i have no complaints. I'm in no hurry to get Vista.

baseline bum
09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I understand why you want to do it, but no way! Theo is quite adament about this sort of stuff. You should have seen the faces of the people when I booted up my XP notebook in the middle of a conference where most of the european developers, Theo and some of the US guys were present. The debate was quite fun afterwards (I had the upper hand since I had a car in the hotel parking lot with a trunk full of Slovenian beer and the bar was closed :lol).

Well I've heard that many hardware manufacturers would be willing to share their codes in order to sell more hardware on more platforms, but the recent contracts with Microsoft makes it almost impossible since Microsoft would not certify their hardware and it scares MS user away (their biggest market by far).

Yeah thank god for the few smart people from Berkeley.

:lmao

Seriously, you know Theo? Can you get him to autograph my Vista disc?

Cry Havoc
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM

If you can't understand it, BSD doesn't concern you in the slightest.

Cry Havoc
in.

vista sucks. mac wanna-be.

LOL

Um. Okay. :elephant

nkdlunch
:lol

98 was the worst Microsoft OS ever created, except for Win95, 3.1, 3.11, DOS, ME, and Vista.

you have not heard of Windows NT?

that was the most pathetic piece of shit in history

Slomo
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
:lmao

Seriously, you know Theo? Can you get him to autograph my Vista disc?I do.

He'll be over here again end of November (Venice OBSD conf). I don't know if I'd dare ask him to sign a Vista disk :lol

Beno Udrih
09-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Whoa you guys just said a bunch of things I don't understand. :dizzy

Beno Udrih
09-26-2007, 05:38 PM
But of course you nerds aren't going to like vista. I haven't had any problems with my laptop. But at the same time I'm not using it for some of the things you guys use it.

spurster
09-26-2007, 09:37 PM
We have Vista on a desktop with 1GB memory and no fiddling, and it's ok.

We also have Vista on a laptop now expanded to 2GB and the Aero interface and several services and startup programs disabled. It is reasonably usable now.

For unclear reasons, Vista will be a dog on some systems.

Banjo Boy
09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, I get OpenBSD wants no process running as root, but I'm looking at desktop use. Setuid X is a lot better idea than creating my character devices with lower permissions. An unpriveledged X process isn't going to work very well with Beryl. :lol

Still, AMD has released the source to a lot of the drivers for older ATI hardware to the XOrg foundation (I think everything up to r300), and I know Intel has open-sourced their graphics drivers.

And Kori still thinks we don't need a Tech forum :lmao

Steve Perry
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
The reason I don't like Vista is...............It is set up so that your on line activity can be monitored since there is a built in back door code to access your HD .
There is a huge market in information. XP does not have the code built in. The NSA and other organizations have to rely on your online service provider to release your activity/download Logs. The only people who seem to really like Vista are the ones who always want something new or different.

Let's take a car for example. At one time everyone had to have A "Mustang 5.0 with the rag top down so your hair can blow" then they wanted SUVs then Hummers. When in fact all a car does is get you from point A to point C, after Microsoft unveils their next new operating system, the same folks who are on the Vista band wagon now, will say how much it sucks.
Life is really one big circle. I on the other hand prefer the Triangle life

DarkReign
09-27-2007, 09:04 AM
The reason I don't like Vista is...............It is set up so that your on line activity can be monitored since there is a built in back door code to access your HD .
There is a huge market in information. XP does not have the code built in. The NSA and other organizations have to rely on your online service provider to release your activity/download Logs. The only people who seem to really like Vista are the ones who always want something new or different.

If Big Brother wants to bone you, they dont need software companies to bend you over.

Take off the tinfoil hat.

Cry Havoc
09-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Let's take a car for example. At one time everyone had to have A "Mustang 5.0 with the rag top down so your hair can blow" then they wanted SUVs then Hummers. When in fact all a car does is get you from point A to point C

A couple of points:

A) There is nothing wrong with attempting to improve the way one functions. XP was a massively huge upgrade over ME and Win98. "Wanting something different" in this case was just wanting something that worked. Vista has a lot of promise, and if MS develops it well, will become a very good operating system. The support for Dx10 alone is important in a number of respects, and the fact that they are introducing more GPU-based applications means the potential for a more dynamic OS in the future. And, despite how much animosity there is against Microsoft these days, they have been improving their products. My dream OS is a fully integrated 3-D system that allows you to use your fingers and hands and gestures to navigate, rather than a mouse.

B) Yes. Cars get you from point A to point B. However, as many have said, "Life is about the journey, not a destination."

And
this (http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2007/06/2008-Ford-Shelby-GT-Mustang.jpg) just might be a little more enjoyable than your average commute. I would hesitate to say that EVERYONE wants SUVs nowadays.

Not to make this a car thread, by any means. But there is something very moving about a car, literally and figuratively. They are emotive, transportable works of art. To say they are all the same is to say that a 5 year old's scribble is the same as a Van Gogh, because they consist of roughly the same materials on the same kind of canvas.

leemajors
09-27-2007, 10:38 AM
A couple of points:

A) There is nothing wrong with attempting to improve the way one functions. XP was a massively huge upgrade over ME and Win98. "Wanting something different" in this case was just wanting something that worked. Vista has a lot of promise, and if MS develops it well, will become a very good operating system. The support for Dx10 alone is important in a number of respects, and the fact that they are introducing more GPU-based applications means the potential for a more dynamic OS in the future. And, despite how much animosity there is against Microsoft these days, they have been improving their products. My dream OS is a fully integrated 3-D system that allows you to use your fingers and hands and gestures to navigate, rather than a mouse.

B) Yes. Cars get you from point A to point B. However, as many have said, "Life is about the journey, not a destination."

And
this (http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2007/06/2008-Ford-Shelby-GT-Mustang.jpg) just might be a little more enjoyable than your average commute. I would hesitate to say that EVERYONE wants SUVs nowadays.

Not to make this a car thread, by any means. But there is something very moving about a car, literally and figuratively. They are emotive, transportable works of art. To say they are all the same is to say that a 5 year old's scribble is the same as a Van Gogh, because they consist of roughly the same materials on the same kind of canvas.
i don't think they should have taken as long as they did to get it out the door. with as long as it took, they should have released a much more polished product instead of hawking widgets.

Cry Havoc
09-27-2007, 11:17 AM
i don't think they should have taken as long as they did to get it out the door. with as long as it took, they should have released a much more polished product instead of hawking widgets.

When should it have been released? Windows XP was barely being cemented as the main OS two years ago. If you change OSes too quickly, you are doing a disservice to the consumers who bought XP.

leemajors
09-27-2007, 11:45 AM
When should it have been released? Windows XP was barely being cemented as the main OS two years ago. If you change OSes too quickly, you are doing a disservice to the consumers who bought XP.
Apple seems to be doing just fine releasing new versions of MacOS X every couple years. they do have the advantage of being smaller, and not having to code for wildly varying hardware configs, but their OS seems to improve dramatically with each release. i am looking forward to Leopard next month, even though i only use it at work.

Cry Havoc
09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Apple seems to be doing just fine releasing new versions of MacOS X every couple years. they do have the advantage of being smaller, and not having to code for wildly varying hardware configs, but their OS seems to improve dramatically with each release. i am looking forward to Leopard next month, even though i only use it at work.

Yes, and to make it up to consumers, they overcharge you like a beast. :rolleyes

leemajors
09-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Yes, and to make it up to consumers, they overcharge you like a beast. :rolleyes
they charge less for OS software than MS.

Cry Havoc
09-27-2007, 04:44 PM
they charge less for OS software than MS.

I should hope so, since their computers have horrible bang for the buck. And should we even talk about their peripherals? Who makes a $600 cell phone/mp3 player without a removable battery? :rolleyes

leemajors
09-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I should hope so, since their computers have horrible bang for the buck. And should we even talk about their peripherals? Who makes a $600 cell phone/mp3 player without a removable battery? :rolleyes
some of their products are a bit overpriced, but even dell's prices aren't much or any better when configured equally. granted, built component by component it would be much cheaper, but not everyone can do that. the iPhone is now $200 cheaper, and is a badass phone. i used to bag on Apple, but they make quality products and market them to their target audience, which can afford them. hell, even id software does most of their development on macs these days.

velik_m
09-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Microsoft bows to pressure on XP

Customer demand has forced Microsoft to extend the shelf life of Windows XP by five months.

Microsoft was scheduled to stop selling the six-year-old operating system on 30 January 2008 to leave the field clear for Vista.

Now the date on which many sellers of XP will no longer be able to offer it has been lengthened to 30 June 2008.

Microsoft said the change was to help those customers that needed more time to make the switch to Vista.

Sales profile

In a statement Mike Nash, Microsoft's Windows product manager, said: "...maybe we were a little ambitious to think that we would need to make Windows XP available for only a year after the release of Windows Vista."

He added that most of the other operating systems that Microsoft has produced were available for about two years after a new version shipped.

The newest Microsoft operating system, Windows Vista, had a staged release between November 2006 and late January 2007.

In some quarters Vista had a lukewarm response and in April 2007 PC maker Dell was forced by customers to re-start sales of computers with XP installed. In January of that year the computer firm switched to Vista on almost all of the machines aimed at home users.

Software giant Microsoft does run a scheme that lets people rollback installation of Vista business and ultimate edition to Windows XP by ringing a customer support centre and getting an activation code.

Microsoft denied that the policy change was due to slow demand for Vista. Mr Nash said that up to the summer of 2007 Microsoft had sold more than 60 million licences for Vista. This put it on track to be the fastest selling operating system in Microsoft's history.

The XP date change applies to retailers and other manufacturers who sell Microsoft products. Independent firms that use Windows XP when installing and maintaining computers and networks for businesses can continue to offer it as an option until 30 January 2009.

Microsoft is also extending the availability of the cut-down version of XP, called Starter Edition, until 30 June 2010. It said this was because it was seeing increased demand for the software to run on low-powered devices made specifically for the developing world.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/technology/7017624.stm

Published: 2007/09/28 09:11:17 GMT

© BBC MMVII

Slomo
09-30-2007, 01:06 PM
And don't get me started on Office 2007...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/26/excel_2007_bug/ :lol

=RTM=
09-30-2007, 03:07 PM
If Big Brother wants to bone you, they dont need software companies to bend you over.

Take off the tinfoil hat.

Steve Perry is talking about software sharing. The Game and program companies are in bed with MS and the Vista is set up so it is harder to use someone else's Game or program without alerting the manufactures and then they can monitor and shut down your system if your serial number to your Windows does not match up to the serial number given when you registered or activated your game or software. XP does not have that feature. Maybe you could use some foil yourself.

ShoogarBear
09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
In. I just fried my laptop, and had to pull strings with my Dell-employed sister to get a replacement running XP.

Looter
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
When you say fried, can you go into a little more detail? thanks.

ShoogarBear
10-01-2007, 10:20 PM
When you say fried, can you go into a little more detail? thanks.

:wakeupNot fried the way you usually mean.

Actually, it's an incredibly embarassing story. I'm sure you wouldn't be interested.

Re-Animator
10-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Hemotivo
10-01-2007, 10:50 PM
In
http://www.rant.com/rant_dot_com_images/mac_lowres.jpg

cherylsteele
10-02-2007, 09:43 AM
windows 98 rules!
You actually liked this happening?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Windows_XP_BSOD.png

ShoogarBear
10-02-2007, 06:35 PM
You actually liked this happening?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a8/Windows_XP_BSOD.pngFor me, that happened a lot more with NT than with 98, even though it was supposed to be the other way around.

boutons_
10-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Vista Resistance: Why XP Is Still So Strong

If you still don't see a need to upgrade, you're not alone--many people are opting for XP even on new PCs. We'll show you how the Vista transition will become smoother.

Erik Larkin, PC World

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 10:00 PM PDT

Windows Vista is facing stiff competition from an unlikely source: Windows XP.

The six-year-old operating system is showing surprising strength more than half a year after the full launch of its successor. In April, Dell acknowledged continued XP demand and resumed offering XP as an option on new systems. In July, Microsoft chief financial officer Chris Liddell ratcheted up the percentage of OS sales the company expects XP to account for in fiscal year 2008 from 15 percent to 22 percent. Finally, in August, Microsoft announced an XP Service Pack 2c release that does nothing more than add new Windows XP product keys so the company can keep selling the OS to businesses through January 31, 2009.

In addition, customers who purchase a Vista machine from Dell, HP, or Lenovo (among other vendors) can use a vendor-supplied XP Pro recovery disc (http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005512.html) to replace the Vista operating system on their system with XP Pro.

The wait-and-see approach of Mark Sanford, a 40-year-old software developer in San Francisco, seems typical of many users. Sanford's PC--with a 3-GHz CPU, 2GB of memory, and a 256MB video card--could handle Vista, but he says he has no plans to upgrade from XP. Sanford says he's gotten to know XP's idiosyncrasies, and has his network and software running smoothly on the aging OS. "XP is plenty good enough," he says. So nothing is pushing him away from XP, and likewise nothing is pulling him strongly to Vista. "The Aero interface is beautiful," he says, but "When I look at Vista, there's really nothing there that's a must-have kind of feature."

Behind the Pace

Certainly sales of Vista aren't blowing away XP in stores. Chris Swenson, director of software industry analysis for the NPD Group, says that, from January through July of this year, XP sales accounted for a healthy 42.3 percent of online and brick-and-mortar retail OS sales. By contrast, from January through July of 2002, after XP's launch in October the year prior, Windows 98 accounted for just 23.1 percent of retail sales. (Windows Me launched after Windows 98, but it didn't supplant the older OS.)

Of course, retail sales are only part of the story. With PC prices dropping over the past few years, and with Vista's higher hardware requirements, it's a "no-brainer," according to Swenson, for many people to buy a new PC rather than upgrade an old one. And the large majority of Vista users get the OS on their new systems.

( boutons: the OTC sale of an MS OS has always a very tin %age of total MS sales. The next MS OS is always fatter and slower, disqualifying existing most hardware as too weak. MS's monopoly OS/Office abusive profits come almost exclusively from the DOS/Windows tax)

Still, PCWorld.com (http://www.pcworld.com/) visitors don't seem to be in any rush to switch to Vista. Our traffic numbers show Vista machines accounting for just 10 percent of the traffic to our site during September (see "Vista vs. XP After 8 Months (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137635-page,4-c,vistalonghorn/article.html#8mo)").

Dell, which offers a choice of Vista or XP on its new computers, is staying close-lipped about how many XP computers it sells compared with Vista. But Michelle Pearcy, manager of the global marketing software team at Dell, confirms that the company is seeing the same trend as Microsoft: XP sales will be higher than expected during its next fiscal year.

Apple Impact?

XP satisfaction might keep many people from picking up a Vista box at the store, but another, more surprising factor may be leading others to buy a new copy of XP instead of Vista: namely, Apple.

While Windows PCs still outnumber Macs by a large margin, the latter are becoming much more popular. Stephen Baker, another analyst with the NPD Group, notes that more than one in six laptops sold at retail are MacBooks. Those figures don't include direct sales from huge vendors like Dell; if they did, Apple's market share would shrink significantly. Nevertheless, the statistic underscores that many people are buying Macs.

In years past, switching to a Mac meant saying goodbye to all of your Windows software. But today's Intel-based Macs can happily run Vista or XP, either natively with Apple's Boot Camp or in virtualized form with Parallels or VMWare Fusion--if the new Mac buyer also purchases a copy of Windows.

That's just what Sanford's mother did recently, he says, when she bought a new MacBook, intending to run Windows on it as well. Given the choice between a copy of Vista that may or may not run all of her current Windows software, and a cheaper copy of XP that definitely will, she opted for XP.

Hurdles for Gamers

Similarly, many gamers are choosing the supposedly outdated OS for new purchases. Dell's Pearcy says that a large majority of consumers buying new PCs decide on Vista, but that the choosy gaming crowd is one niche group that seems to prefer XP. One reason, she says, is the lack of games that take advantage of Vista's DirectX 10. Also, the normal performance and compatibility issues encountered with a new OS might merely annoy an everyday user, but to gamers looking for top speed, they're a killer.

For example, older games that use DirectSound 3D got short shrift in the new OS, since Vista lacks the audio feature entirely. (And without support for that API, sound cards capable of accelerating DirectSound lost much of their utility.)

Newer games using the OpenAL standard that Vista supports won't suffer, but older favorites such as Blizzard's Diablo 2 require a software workaround from Creative Labs to run with surround-sound effects--or in some cases, to run at all.

Transmuting Sound

Creative's ALchemy software (http://find.pcworld.com/58643) for older games translates the games' DirectSound output into OpenAL. Having to use ALchemy is a minor annoyance, but absent some compelling reason to switch to Vista, it's one that most gamers would rather avoid. Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director at Jupiter Research, says that he isn't surprised to see many people still choosing Windows XP over Vista.

"Microsoft's competition is always what their last operating system revision was," he says. "And in this case, XP was pretty good."

Gartenberg doesn't see the same kind of "burning drive" to upgrade from XP that many people had when upgrading from Windows Me, for instance. He notes that people lined up to buy XP; but now, "consumers and businesses have learned to be a little hesitant about adopting new products."

Vista SP1 Is Coming

And businesses are understandably hesitant. Vista's improved security and other features could be a boon to business, but IT staffs that have spent the past six years smoothing out an XP network and training users are loath to consider upgrading to a new OS before it has had much time to settle.

"Any number of people are saying, 'Wait for SP1,'" Gartenberg points out.

Dell officials echo that observation. "We're hearing that from our customers today--that they're waiting for SP1 as a signal of code stability," Dell's Pearcy says. "That's historically very much in line with what has happened in every major OS transition."

But such waiting now has an end date, since Microsoft announced that it will release a final SP1 for Vista in the first quarter of 2008. That will follow a September release of an SP1 beta, giving on-the-ball companies time to test its many compatibility and performance fixes.

According to Microsoft's overview document for the SP1 beta, Vista's first service pack will offer improvements for security, reliability, and performance, and more support for emerging hardware and standards. In addition, the company will continue to introduce drivers to support more devices, bumping Vista's count from 1.7 million in January 2008 to 2.2 million in July. But SP1 "does not deliver substantial new operating system features," according to the document.

BitLocker Drive Encryption will receive an upgrade, and security companies will get long-awaited programming interfaces to work with the 64-bit version's kernel patch protection. Microsoft also says that SP1 will boost reliability on systems upgraded to Vista from XP, and that it will offer better compatibility with printer drivers.

Performance Tweaks

After the release of SP1, Vista should be faster at copying and extracting files, according to Microsoft, and should wake more quickly from Hibernate and Resume modes. Company engineers should have corrected a bug involving slow network file-share browsing, too, as well as the occasional 10-second delay before a password prompt pops up when you press <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<Delete> to log in after resuming your PC.

Also, we may see further Vista-focused game development after SP1 adds support for Direct3D 10.1, which expands the API to allow game developers to "better take advantage of a new generation of Direct3D graphics hardware," according to Microsoft's SP1 overview.

So what does all of this mean for Microsoft? Though the company might not have liked adjusting its 2008 forecast to account for more people buying XP, CFO Liddell says that the expected income from OS sales "is still exactly the same," and Redmond's bottom line should be fine. "We tend to get paid either way," Liddell says.

These fixes, along with the many others promised for SP1 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136510/article.html), may suffice to lure current consumer and business holdouts to the new operating system. But come January, you may not have much of a choice for new computers, even if you're still on the fence. Pearcy says that for Dell customers, "XP as a readily available OS will come to an end" next January for consumer PCs, in keeping with Microsoft's current plans. Businesses will have a wider window: The new SP2c build of Windows XP will be available through January 2009.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137635/article.html?tk=nl_esxnws

boutons_
10-09-2007, 09:19 PM
http://images.pcworld.com/images/header/logo_hd_print.jpg (http://www.pcworld.com/)

Windows XP SP3 to Include Some Vista Features

A Web site that leaked details of Windows XP Service Pack 3 claims that the update includes several new features, including some borrowed from Windows Vista.

Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 12:00 PM PDT
A Web site that leaked details of Windows XP Service Pack 3 over the weekend claimed that the update includes several new features, including some borrowed from Windows Vista.

According to NeoSmart Technologies, Windows XP SP3 build 3205, which was released to beta testers on Sunday, includes four new features among the 1,000-plus individual hot fixes and patches that have been issued since XP2's debut three years ago.

Features backported from Vista, said NeoSmart, include Network Access Protection (NAP), an enterprise policy enforcement technology that inspects client PCs before they access a corporate network, then updates the machines if necessary or blocks them if they don't meet specified security criteria.

Other additions range from a kernel module containing several encryption algorithms that can be accessed by third-party developers, to a new Windows activation model that doesn't require users to enter a product key.

Microsoft had previously announced SP3 support for NAP, which is part of Windows Vista and will be included in the not-yet-finalized Windows Server 2008.

Windows XP SP3, which Microsoft has said will be released early in 2008, will be one more move by the developer to extend the lifespan of the six-year-old operating system.

Last month, for example, Microsoft gave Windows XP a five-month reprieve (http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9039599) by pushing back the end of retail sales and sales of XP-powered PCs by large resellers to June 30, 2008.

And last week, Microsoft debuted a new "get-legal" program that lets companies purchase large quantities of Windows XP Professional licenses through their usual resellers.

Microsoft was not immediately available for comment on the leak, or the new features touted by NeoSmart.

Little Devil
10-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Blizz to call Bullshit in 3..................2.............

Walter Craparita
10-10-2007, 12:26 AM
only reason to upgrade for me is dx10.

boutons_
11-15-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9817580-62.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-5

November 14, 2007 4:50 PM PST

Vista's biggest problem is Windows XP

Posted by Dave Rosenberg 2 comments

Computerworld reports on a recent survey of nearly 600 U.S. and European companies that have more than 1,000 employees, 84% of all their PCs now run Windows XP, up from 67% the year before."

That sounds pretty good for the Windows monopoly, right? So, one could assume that Vista should start to creep into those numbers.

Nearly a third of the polled businesses -- 32% to be exact -- said they would begin deploying Vista by the end of 2008, while another 17% said they would start in 2009 or 2010.

Still good right?

But more than half of all companies remain skittish about Vista, according to Forrester's data.

What's interesting is that many open source companies find their biggest competition to be themselves--that is, the free version of their products. Microsoft is competing with is the absorbed-cost version of Windows XP that customers already have. But XP wasn't actually free. Customers were bonked on the head to move from W2K (and I would say it was a good upgrade) and now are being strong-armed to upgrade to Vista which has minimal upside.

Vista simply isn't compelling enough to upgrade.