PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't Dana White release PPV buyrates

2centsworth
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
I've read Dana White doesn't release PPV buyrates because he says he's not in it for the money. However, he has been known to relase figures for events that have topped 1 million buys like UFC 66. This year no figures have been released and it's reported that UFC 72 did only 100k buys.

anyone have the up to date 2007 numbers?

cornbread
09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I haven't seen anything.

LEONARD
09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think Dana ever releases them...they sometimes get leaked though (usually Dave Meltzer ends up with them).

I wouldn't be surprised if UFC 72 did just 100k buys. It was a terrible card without a title fight at 3 pm on a Saturday. I know I streamed it...

Evan
09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
They used to release them when they only had a card every 2 or 3 months. But once they planned on working towards average about 1 a month they stopped.

Its inevitable that the PPV buy rate would drop at that pace for most cards. It becomes unaffordable. As big as a fan as I am even I am not willing to spend over $500 a year on PPV. That’s silly.

Critics will point to a lower PPV rate as failure on the UFC's part ignoring the fact that while the average buy rate is lower on some cards the overall buyrate of combined PPV's are sky rocketing quarter to quarter. More people are buying them and at a higher frequency just the individual PPV's may go up and down card for card.

So in my situation, they won't have my purchase for the next PPV and a few others this year but my overall purchases will still be up. That’s success for them but critics will bend that reality to support their argument.

That’s just my guess on why they are doing that. Its an interesting question.

But yeah...UFC 72 was an awful card and it was free until 2 weeks before the event. I have no idea why they charged for it.

cornbread
09-26-2007, 10:46 AM
You guys wouldn't pay money to watch Hector "Sick Dawg" Ramirez in the main event?!

LEONARD
09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
:lol

Evan
09-29-2007, 09:20 AM
If this is true this is simply amazing

Projected Pay-Per-View sales for the UFC event last Saturday were $25 million. With a target audience demographic of 18- to 34-year-old males, the UFC appeals to a new generation of sports fans.

If true, that would mean UFC 76 drew at least over 500,000 pay-per view buys.

LEONARD
10-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Yea, that would be pretty good for no title fights and Chuck vs Jardine as the main event, which people bitched about for months before Jardine beat Chuck to make the matchup seem a little more competitive than everybody thought...