PDA

View Full Version : Saw D-Rob at the Crab Shack

sa_kid20
09-26-2007, 09:28 PM
It was my grandpa's b-day so we all went to the crab shack and as soon as i walk in the door i see david robinson sitting there with his wife. i introduced him to my grandpa and he was real cool and took a picture with him and said hi to everyone at my table. Then when we were about to pay the check the waiter tells us that David had already paid for our entire meal! Man i gotta say i already had all the respect in the world for the guy but this made it even better. It was definately a day to remember!

Kori Ellis
09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Wow, that's pretty awesome.

Post the picture when you can.

sa_kid20
09-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Here's the pic

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/bobbyt207/drob.jpg

YODA
09-26-2007, 09:41 PM
Thats very classy oh him, but we already knew he was a class act. He really is a knight in shinning armor with no dents. Only wish I could have that honor to meet him.

Yoda

RussN
09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Dave is always nice no matter what. I was flying back from somewhere late at night and was walking down the terminal at SAT international and walking towards me from the other terminal was David. Of course I could tell it was him from about 100 yards away. We were the only 2 in the walk way and met as we were walking towards baggage claim. I said "hey dave, good to see you." and we walked next to eachother towards bag claim, not wanting to bother him after a long flight late at night. (Plus he had already signed me a basketball and a 1999 playoff game v Lakers ticket before). Once we arrived at baggage claim it was a total different story. Everyone who saw him wanted a picture/autograph. There was one guy who asked him if he would sign his Atlanta Braves hat! What the HELL? He did it all very graciously. I was very impressed. I wouldn't have wanted to do it that one time, but he gets that everywhere he goes and he is always VERY nice.

That is awesome that he did that for ya'll, he is an exceptional man!
We are very lucky to have a man like that to represent our franchise and community.

RussN
09-26-2007, 09:51 PM
PS: Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to bother him to sign something, I could hardly hold my excitement seeing someone I respect that much. Im glad you introduced your Grandfather to him, that is really cool.

florige
09-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Pretty freakin awesome!!!! The single biggest reason I became a life long Spurs fan right there!!

Hemotivo
09-26-2007, 09:57 PM
amazing

Ronaldo McDonald
09-26-2007, 10:01 PM
yep. the dude is fucking amazing. when i as about 10 I met him at walt disney world, in our hotel elevator late late late at night, and he happily signed his autograph on a paper for me. It made him even happier that I was a huge and genuine spurs fan, and not just some random kid who doens't know shit about him or the spurs.

RussN
09-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Here's the pic

That is an awesome pic of your Gpa and Dave! And your grandpa had his Old school Spurs hat on, makes it even better!

sa_kid20
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
And your grandpa had his Old school Spurs hat on, makes it even better!

yeah i know he always wears that hat everywhere he goes and it finally paid off! lol

angel_luv
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Awesome story! :tu :)

duncan228
09-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
What a wonderful, sweet, touching story.
I'm happy for you and even happier for your grandfather.
He's beaming, you can almost feel the joy he felt just looking at the picture.

Robinson, as has already been stated, is such a class act.
We were fortunate to have him set the tone for this franchise and even more fortunate that he was willing and able to work with Duncan the summer before Duncan's first season. And that Duncan was the type of man to understand what Robinson had started here and how Duncan could learn from him.

These two incredible men shaped this team/organization into the winner we are witnessing for over a decade now.

It feels good to be a Spurs fan. A team we can respect and admire and that continues to earn that respect rather than take it for granted.

mbass
09-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Pretty freakin awesome!!!! The single biggest reason I became a life long Spurs fan right there!!

He's the reason I became a life-long spurs fan also. I've met him twice - once years ago at the San Antonio Airport. I told him that he was my favorite player (and this from a grannie) and he smiled and was genuinely flattered. The second time was at his school and he was just the same. I think that he is the rare individual who REALLY Loves people and just loves to be around them and interact with them. He is an inspiration. :)

SAtown
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Your grandfather's smile/facial expression is priceless. I'm happy his old school hat paid off.

florige
09-26-2007, 10:30 PM
He's the reason I became a life-long spurs fan also. I've met him twice - once years ago at the San Antonio Airport. I told him that he was my favorite player (and this from a grannie) and he smiled and was genuinely flattered. The second time was at his school and he was just the same. I think that he is the rare individual who REALLY Loves people and just loves to be around them and interact with them. He is an inspiration. :)

:tu. In this era of sports corruption, arrogant classless athletes who treat us fans like pieces of dirt with all the dumb things they do, but then you have guys like Robinson, Duncan, Pop, Ripken, Gwynn, Griffey, and some more class acts that really makes you forget about all the other nonsense going on in the sports world. Great thread... :toast

samikeyp
09-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Awesome! Good for you and your Grandpa! :tu

cornbread
09-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Like so many other SAers, I'm in my mid-20's and D-Rob was my hero growing up and the reason I started watching basketball when I was a young kid. Sadly enough, I have never seen him in public. Not once. Sorry to throw myself a pity-party in your thread.

Despite my jealousy, I think your story is awesome.

David Robinson=San Antonio

spurs=bling
09-26-2007, 10:51 PM
That is awesome.

baseline bum
09-26-2007, 10:54 PM
David and Magic are the two coolest athletes I've ever met, and I've met almost every NBA player that played from about '85 to '95. Frank Layden (the old coach of the Jazz) is another guy who loves the fans.

Wow. Now I feel old; I talked to a then head coach of the Jazz not named Jerry Sloan. :lol

florige
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Like so many other SAers, I'm in my mid-20's and D-Rob was my hero growing up and the reason I started watching basketball when I was a young kid. Sadly enough, I have never seen him in public. Not once. Sorry to throw myself a pity-party in your thread.

Despite my jealousy, I think your story is awesome.

David Robinson=San Antonio

Me and you both. I did have the honor of meeting Cal Ripken once. But meeting the Admiral would be freakin sweet....

phxspurfan
09-26-2007, 11:28 PM
Excellent story, man. This makes me love the Crab Shack even more...

porscha
09-26-2007, 11:31 PM
:clap :clap what a lovely story, the smile on both of them are so sweet

E20
09-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Great story! Brought a smile to my face. DRob at first glance seems like a kick ass person even if you don't know who he is, he just has that aura of greatness around him. I've always wanted to mee the guy.

TMTTRIO
09-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Great Story. Thanks for sharing. David is so wonderful and is such a class act. He has made what the Spurs are today :tu :clap

timvp
09-27-2007, 12:40 AM
Nice story :tu

David Robinson is an awesome human.

ShoogarBear
09-27-2007, 12:45 AM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/bobbyt207/drob.jpgYour grandpa looks younger than Greg Oden.

T Park
09-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Just when you think David Robinson couldn't get anymore perfect, or anymore of a greater guy? He does that.

I mean, what else can you say about the man?

Hes unreal.

DannyT
09-27-2007, 01:07 AM
just imagine how many hall of famers would take the opportunity to do something like that...let alone pick up the tab....greatest man ever d rob....

SenorSpur
09-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Great story!

D-Rob is truly one of the most charitable guys around. This guy is almost like a living, breathing, modern day, mythical figure from the Bible.

He'll always be my favorite Spur.

J.T.
09-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Props to your gramps for pimping the old Spurs logo. I still have a bunch of T shirts with that logo. :tu

David is awesome.

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Great

5-0 is fantastic

AlamoSpursFan
09-27-2007, 08:17 AM
Never met Dave, but I met Pops once. Easy to see where Dave gets it from. Mr. Robinson was totally cool.

Spurs>All
09-27-2007, 11:46 AM
DRob could not be any cooler. :tu

SpursFanFirst
09-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Hey! I have that same hat in my cedar chest! :lol

What an awesome story, and I'm so glad you shared that!

I've met Sean Elliott (as evidenced by my avitar), but I would also love to meet Robinson someday...really, there are several players from that team I'd love to meet.

:birthday: to your grandpa!

robino2001
09-27-2007, 12:14 PM
I was doing a fund raiser in HS collecting money for baby supplies for a local women's shelter... we were doing the typical soliciting of people outside of walmart - it's annoying for everyone, you know. 5-0 walks out of the walmart with two of his sons - they were there buying their Halloween costumes and the boys were there with their masks on. Anyways, David stops and greets us all (probably 7 or 8 HS kids), asks about what we're doing - and on the spot without hesitation writes a check. I don't remember if it was $500 or $1k, either way, it doesn't matter - we're there collecting change to buy baby food jars and diapers and he doesn't even flinch and pretty much doubles whatever we had gotten on the spot. He and the boys took pictures with us and was just as you'd expect him to be. That was pre-digital camera or right at the birth of it - but I have the picture buried somewhere.

My family and I had ran into him and Valerie eating at Sizzler (no joke) on the NE side probably 91-ish and was there with Gervin and his wife and Jr. I was 8 or 9 and I guess they could see my dad and I checking them out during the meal because they came up to us and talked briefly as they passed by walking out.

David, George, Sean, Avery, Malik when he was here - the list goes on - you couldn't ask for more genuine people. I've had the chance to at least meet tons of Spurs and it's always just shopping at the store - eating at a restaurant, etc. This doesn't happen in the larger markets - SA has a reason to be proud.

nkdlunch
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
wow I want him to adopt me

SpursFanFirst
09-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I was doing a fund raiser in HS collecting money for baby supplies for a local women's shelter... we were doing the typical soliciting of people outside of walmart - it's annoying for everyone, you know. 5-0 walks out of the walmart with two of his sons - they were there buying their Halloween costumes and the boys were there with their masks on. Anyways, David stops and greets us all (probably 7 or 8 HS kids), asks about what we're doing - and on the spot without hesitation writes a check. I don't remember if it was $500 or $1k, either way, it doesn't matter - we're there collecting change to buy baby food jars and diapers and he doesn't even flinch and pretty much doubles whatever we had gotten on the spot. He and the boys took pictures with us and was just as you'd expect him to be. That was pre-digital camera or right at the birth of it - but I have the picture buried somewhere.

My family and I had ran into him and Valerie eating at Sizzler (no joke) on the NE side probably 91-ish and was there with Gervin and his wife and Jr. I was 8 or 9 and I guess they could see my dad and I checking them out during the meal because they came up to us and talked briefly as they passed by walking out.

David, George, Sean, Avery, Malik when he was here - the list goes on - you couldn't ask for more genuine people. I've had the chance to at least meet tons of Spurs and it's always just shopping at the store - eating at a restaurant, etc. This doesn't happen in the larger markets - SA has a reason to be proud.

:lol Wal-mart and Sizzler! That's awesome!!! How many NBA players would you see at either of those places?

newbiefan
09-27-2007, 12:44 PM
went on biz trips... one in san fran,, one in orlando , fl.... wore spurs champ tshirts on off time... spurs fans everywhere... first thing they say is Spurs are class act.. no prima donnas, etc.. everyone loves Tim Duncan for being the class guy that he is.

urunobili
09-27-2007, 01:18 PM

he is the reason why i am a Spurs fan myself... we should have a thread about that..

Budkin
09-27-2007, 01:40 PM
That freaking rules. Man I love me some D Rob!

Summers
09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I love the pic! How neat for your grandpa!

MoSpur
09-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Too cool. It doesn't surprise me that he would do such a thing because of the type of person he is. What an awesome way for your grandpa to celebrate. :tu

Cry Havoc
09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
This man is the reason why I became such a huge Spurs fan. I have never seen someone so dominant and yet so gracious to the fans.

Can you imagine if every athlete was like this? There would be a lot more goodwill being done by people with enough money and influence to make a MAJOR impact. Not that they don't anyway.

David is on the short list of some of the finest athletes to ever walk our planet. How fortunate that his talent as a player is perhaps even surpassed by his ability to be an actual human being, without ego, conceit, or annoyance.

I wish every athlete like a couple of dissatisfied bigger names that will go unmentioned would read this thread.

tlongII
09-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Wow! Great story!

vander
09-27-2007, 02:47 PM

Yep, I grew up in Idaho, so no local NBA team, a couple of friends were Robinson fans, the more I learned about him, the more I liked him, and the Spurs have been my favorite team ever since.

drmvp
09-27-2007, 05:37 PM
What a munificent gesture by a truly magnificent person. David is a living testament to the value of good parenting, to the impact of faith, and to the character and sense of duty instilled in him by the U.S. military.

VaSpursFan
09-27-2007, 07:49 PM
david is a quality human. he's humble, cordial, caring and giving. he just gets it. a remarkable basketball player and an even better man.

5-0 I salute you!

Phenomanul
09-28-2007, 02:09 AM
went on biz trips... one in san fran,, one in orlando , fl.... wore spurs champ tshirts on off time... spurs fans everywhere... first thing they say is Spurs are class act.. no prima donnas, etc.. everyone loves Tim Duncan for being the class guy that he is.

Except in Phoenix.... :spin

Kudos to your grandpa's unscheduled birthday gift....

Robinson once came down to Corpus to speak at our church... He is so genuine and remarkable that one is left speechless just contemplating his sense of humanity.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Nice one indeed!

And David is a truly champion human being. He's the one who brought so many of us together. :)

sa_butta
09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Wow, that is nothing short of amazing.
What a b-day.

Taco
09-28-2007, 08:00 AM
It was my grandpa's b-day so we all went to the crab shack and as soon as i walk in the door i see david robinson sitting there with his wife. i introduced him to my grandpa and he was real cool and took a picture with him and said hi to everyone at my table. Then when we were about to pay the check the waiter tells us that David had already paid for our entire meal! Man i gotta say i already had all the respect in the world for the guy but this made it even better. It was definately a day to remember!Here's the pic

That is great!!! :clap

I'll bet your grandfather had a great time!!!!

Happy Belated birthday to him!!! :birthday:

alamo50
09-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Thank you for sharing sa kid20!
Never can get enough of the stories on all the lives Mr. Robinson has such a great impact on. I am truly very happy for your grandfather.

Budkin
09-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Please come back David! One more year! We miss you!

florige
09-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Nice one indeed!

And David is a truly champion human being. He's the one who brought so many of us together. :)

Man dude how tall are you? You aren't too far off from D-Rob in that pic.

smrattler
09-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow, that's the best story I've read in some time. Your grandfather's smile says it all, amazing. That is awesome!

rob5
09-28-2007, 10:05 PM
One of the best Threads ever. Great Pic. Thanks for sharing.

bigzak25
09-29-2007, 08:26 AM
GodBless DRob!

Kamnik
09-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Wow, amazing!

Even more importantly than the good he does-he is a great example to everyone out there how we should be!

Great stories!