PDA

View Full Version : Mavs to sign Jamal Sampson

big3bigD
09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Who in the hell is this fellow and whose roster spot will he take?

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5708467,00.html

Premature baby had four-month stay in hospital

Marcus Camby says his focus now is on basketball.

Eva Camby, wife of Nuggets center Marcus Camby, gave birth May 9 to a premature daughter. Maya Camby, born at 24 weeks, weighed 1 pound, 5 ounces.

It was a trying summer for Camby. He turned down a USA Basketball camp invitation for the Olympic qualifier in order to be near his daughter.

"All summer, it was back and forth (in Denver) between the gym and the hospital," Camby said.

All is now well. Maya, weighing more than 8 pounds, was released from the hospital in mid- September, and Camby's head is clear as he prepares for the start of training camp Tuesday.

"She's home and she's doing a whole lot better," Camby said Wednesday at Mitchell Elementary School, where he kicked off the fourth year of his Marcus' Mentors program. "It was a tough summer. . . . I thank God she's doing well right now and I can focus on basketball.

"(Hospital workers) were calling her 'Miracle Baby.' She was a kid born so early, and to make it out of the hospital."

NENE'S KNEE: Forward Nene didn't appear to be hurting when he had a strong finish last season. But he said a toll was taken on his surgically repaired right knee.

"It's going to take one more year to be close to 100 percent," said Nene, who tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the 2005-06 opener and missed the rest of the season. "I needed to wrap my knee to play in the playoffs and to take shots at halftime. When I finished the playoffs, I had tendinitis."

Nene said a "weak" knee meant he couldn't fully prepare to play for Brazil in the Olympic qualifier and that played a role in his suffering a strained right calf Sept. 1.

Nene will be limited at the start of camp but vows to be "in good shape" for the season.

Nene's summer inactivity led to his beefing up to about 275 pounds. He is down to about 265, and strength and conditioning coach Steve Hess anticipates he'll play this season at 250.

ETC.: Recently acquired Bobby Jones likely will start the season with the Nuggets after his contract was amended. Jones, previously guaranteed $200,000 of a $687,456 salary if waived by Monday and all of it if on the roster after that, said the guarantee is now $225,000 and the deadline Dec. 15. . . . The Nuggets offered to re-sign center Jamal Sampson to a nonguaranteed contact, but he will sign a similar deal with Dallas, which has injured centers. . . . Guard Anthony Roberson said he'll sign a nonguaranteed deal with the Nuggets, and center Jelani McCoy also might sign. . . . Coach George Karl doesn't expect Kenyon Martin, who is recovering from knee surgery and will be limited to start camp, to play in the Oct. 9 preseason opener, but he should be ready for the Oct. 31 regular-season opener. Martin hasn't played five-on- five, but Hess said "people will be shocked" by the fine shape of Martin, weighing 229 pounds with 4 percent body fat. . . . Carmelo Anthony, who donated $3 million for Syracuse's Carmelo K. Anthony Center, was at his former school for groundbreaking.

Findog
09-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Who?

monosylab1k
09-27-2007, 09:58 AM
The missing piece. CHAMPIONSHIP! :td

I liked him better when he was called Pops Mensa-Bonsu.

monosylab1k
09-27-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=893&line=84306&spln=1

"He’s just coming into his own,’’ said Mavericks executive Donn Nelson.

i.e. "he'll have fun in the D-League all year."

LakeShow
09-27-2007, 11:33 AM
He had so much promise coming out of Mater Dei High School in LA. He had a good season at Cal Berkley and entered the draft after his Freshman season. Bad Decision! He will forever be a player you sign just to fill a vacant roster spot. :depressed

monosylab1k
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
He had so much promise coming out of Mater Dei High School in LA. He had a good season at Cal Berkley and entered the draft after his Freshman season. Bad Decision! He will forever be a player you sign just to fill a vacant roster spot. :depressed
proof that ppl in Houston can use the internet to make it look like they live in LA

ChumpDumper
09-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Good rebounder, not much else.

LakeShow
09-27-2007, 11:57 AM
proof that ppl in Houston can use the internet to make it look like they live in LA

:lol IS That all you got? How about you put your money where your mouth is? I think it's time to show you how uninformed and silly you really are.

GO ROCKETS

mavsfan1000
09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
The missing piece. Noone can stop Dallas now. :lol

Findog
09-27-2007, 02:41 PM
The missing piece. Noone can stop Dallas now. :lol

Tim Duncan is wetting the bed. :lol

Clark_Kent
09-27-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=893&line=84306&spln=1

i.e. "he'll have fun in the D-League all year."

Well the contract isn't even guaranteed.

timvp
09-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I've always liked Sampson. He's a VERY good rebounder. In fact, although he's never played that many minutes, he's consistently rebounded at a high clip. His problem has always been that he's never dedicated himself to the game. Sampson has NBA talent, he's just yet to master the mental part of being a professional.

Good low-risk, high-reward signing by the Mavs. He's better right now than Diop was when he joined the Mavs. If AJ can get this guy to become a pro, the Mavs could strike gold.

big3bigD
09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/092807dnspomavslede.36e2d82.html

Camp invitees: The Mavericks, concerned about their lack of depth at center as training camp nears because of injuries to Erick Dampier and D.J. Mbenga, will sign former Denver Nugget Jamal Sampson to a make-good contract.

President of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said there is a chance Dampier will not be available at the start of the regular season. Sampson is a 6-11 24-year-old who has played sparingly in two NBA seasons, though he did have 13 rebounds in a season-ending game against San Antonio last season.

The Mavericks also will sign 6-5 swingman DeAngelo Newsom, who has played in Germany the last two years, and, perhaps, NBA veteran Darvin Ham.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-28-2007, 05:25 PM
I've always liked Sampson. He's a VERY good rebounder. In fact, although he's never played that many minutes, he's consistently rebounded at a high clip. His problem has always been that he's never dedicated himself to the game. Sampson has NBA talent, he's just yet to master the mental part of being a professional.

Good low-risk, high-reward signing by the Mavs. He's better right now than Diop was when he joined the Mavs. If AJ can get this guy to become a pro, the Mavs could strike gold.
:tu