PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Training Camp Preview

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2007, 05:14 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_23452.shtml

Spurs: Training Camp Preview
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Bill Ingram
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Sep 27, 2007, 08:28

The theme of the Spurs' summer has been "Status Quo." They've made no significant moves and expect to be the favorites to win yet another championship heading into the 2007-08 season. How important will training camp be for a team that has been together for so long? Probably not too important. Gregg Popovich will make sure everyone's in shape, run through his old standard plays, which the guys know backwards and forwards, and get a good, long look at Ime Udoka. Beyond that, training camp will hold no surprises for the San Antonio Spurs.

C - Fabricio Oberto, Francisco Elson

Yes, the Spurs drafted the highly-touted Tiago Splitter with the 28th overall pick in the draft, but no, he's not coming to the NBA this season. Team USA's international scouts, led by former Rockets head coach Rudy Tomjanovich, are very high on his future, but that's not the present for the San Antonio Spurs. Not this year. This year the Spurs will continue to tag team Oberto and Elson, who did well in the rotation last season. Robert Horry may also see spot minutes here.

PF - Tim Duncan, Robert Horry

Here, too, there's some crossover, with Oberto and Elson sometimes being used to spell Duncan, but what really matters for the Spurs is who starts. Despite the media's determination to overlook him, Duncan is the best power forward in the game - maybe the best ever. As his teammates take more and more responsibility for carrying the scoring load, Duncan's effectiveness has increased. His passing is as big a key to the Spurs' success as his low post dominance. If Duncan's healthy, it's easy to see the Spurs repeating as champs for the first time in their history.

SF - Bruce Bowen, Matt Bonner, Ime Udoka

Bruce Bowen may not have gotten the trophy, but in 2006-07 he was once again the best defensive player in the NBA. No one disrupts shots better. No one draws as much ire from his opponents. His deadly three-point shooting is important to the Spurs' success, but is a distant second to his ability to put a clamp on the top scorers in the league. Matt Bonner is likely to be his primary back-up. Despite his 6'10" frame, Bonner is a small forward through and through. He loves to shoot the three and has a strong mid-range game, as well. The Spurs have also added Ime Udoka, who is thought to be the heir apparent to Bowen. He has the long arms, the defensive tenacity, and shot better than 40% from three for the Blazers last season. He's still young, and unlikely to make a splash with the Spurs this season, but if he makes the most of brief stints he could earn some playing time.

SG - Michael Finley, Manu Ginobili, Brent Barry

If there's a question for the San Antonio Spurs this season it may be how much longer Manu Ginobili can be happy coming off the bench. He's certainly not complaining - Manu is happy to do whatever the Spurs need him to do to win another championship - but at the same time he's a superstar in his own right. Any other team would be starting him, not making him carry the water for an older player who can't contribute as a reserve. Michael Finley was miserably bad as a reserve last season, yet contributed decent numbers as a starter. He averaged 8.5 points and shot 35% from three-point range when he was coming off the bench, as compared to 11.4 points and 41% as a starter. Expect to see Finley continue to fall off, as older players do, and for Brent Barry to likely do the same. Between the two of them, the Spurs will have plenty to fill in around the brilliant play of Ginobili, who will get the lion's share of the minutes anyway.

PG - Tony Parker, Jacque Vaughn, Beno Udrih

The 2007 NBA Finals could also be called Tony Parker's coming out party. Much like Manu Ginobili two years before, a dominating Finals performance kicked off a summer in which Parker became elevated in the view of NBA fans across the globe - and got married. Some now call Parker the Spurs' best player, which is a great luxury for a team with another superstar in his prime. Parker's ability to shoulder a large share of the load could serve to extend Tim Duncan's career. Jacque Vaughn is in the twilight of his career, but he made some nice plays in the playoffs and seems to have pushed ahead of the younger and more talented Beno Udrih in the rotation. As long as Parker's healthy the Spurs are going to be tough, though Udrih and Vaughn could hold the fort for a limited period of time if a minor injury sidelined Parker. At the end of the day, the Spurs are quickly becoming Tony Parker's team, and they will go as far as he takes them. That could be just far enough.

Summary

This group of players has three championships to their credit, and there's every reason to believe that they'll be the last team standing this year, too. Obviously the Dallas Mavericks will have something to say about that, as they seem to be the only team that can consistently challenge the Spurs' superiority. The Suns may have a chance depending on how the Shawn Marion situation plays out, and Houston is certainly better with Luis Scola in the mix, but San Antonio plans to repeat for the first time and they've brought back the group that knows how to win titles. We don't bet on the NBA, of course, but if we did we could do worse than put our money on the black and white again in 2007-08.

Spurs Brazil
09-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Matt Bonner is likely to be his primary back-up. Despite his 6'10" frame, Bonner is a small forward through and through. He loves to shoot the three and has a strong mid-range game, as well. The Spurs have also added Ime Udoka, who is thought to be the heir apparent to Bowen. He has the long arms, the defensive tenacity, and shot better than 40% from three for the Blazers last season. He's still young, and unlikely to make a splash with the Spurs this season, but if he makes the most of brief stints he could earn some playing time.

:wtf

Kori Ellis
09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
:lol

I don't know what to say about the Bonner notes. But he's not the first writer to think Udoka is young. I saw some article call him "the 24-year-old." :lmao

anakha
09-27-2007, 05:28 PM

I stopped taking this article seriously when I saw it was from Hoopsworld. :p:

duncan228
09-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Duncan is the best power forward in the game - maybe the best ever. As his teammates take more and more responsibility for carrying the scoring load, Duncan's effectiveness has increased. His passing is as big a key to the Spurs' success as his low post dominance. If Duncan's healthy, it's easy to see the Spurs repeating as champs for the first time in their history.

A healthy Duncan, with a chip on his shoulder, raises our chances of a repeat through the roof.

Put that with Parker's growth and maturity, and the experience of knowing how to win that this team has, and we're in for a great ride this season.

Solid D
09-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Bonner cannot defend most SFs 1-on-1, particularly since many teams go small.

T Park
09-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Udoka is younger than Bowen, so thats good.

Bonner I don't think should ever be considered a 3.

Maybe in a freak lineup with duncan and another big.

WalterBenitez
09-27-2007, 06:37 PM
we are an old team, that's a fact, I am worried about that.

timvp
09-27-2007, 06:44 PM
You would think the guy who runs HoopsWorld would watch a basketball game once in a while. I seriously think HoopsWorld might be the biggest joke of a website on the internets.

ChumpDumper
09-27-2007, 06:45 PM
He's a rocketfan. What are you guys expecting?

exstatic
09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
We don't bet on the NBA, of course, but if we did we could do worse than put our money on the black and white :wtf again in 2007-08.
Hoopsworld has fallen to a new low. They don't even know our team colors.

SenorSpur
09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Matt Bonner is likely to be his primary back-up. Despite his 6'10" frame, Bonner is a small forward through and through. He loves to shoot the three and has a strong mid-range game, as well. The Spurs have also added Ime Udoka, who is thought to be the heir apparent to Bowen. He has the long arms, the defensive tenacity, and shot better than 40% from three for the Blazers last season. He's still young, and unlikely to make a splash with the Spurs this season, but if he makes the most of brief stints he could earn some playing time.

This irked me too. It's not like Udoka is a baby-faced rookie coming into this league. Hell, he started over 70+ games for the Blazers last season. I believe he'll earn a spot into the regular rotation before mid-season.

barbacoataco
09-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Was Bonner ever used as a substitute for Bowen last year? I thought he was in the C/PF role, and was used to sub Duncan or Oberto/Elson. Like someone else posted, Bonner can't really be considered as a SF given how much quicker other SF's are. I think Udoka will get minutes as long as he plays well. While he is listed by some as a SF, he really is more of a Raja Bell type SG who can defend both smaller and bigger players. I saw Udoka play a lot last year because I live in Portland now, and don't let his 6' 5" size fool you. He can guard bigger players because of his strength and solid positioning. He did a great job defending Lebron last year when they played. He could probably even work against Dirk if needed.

SenorSpur
09-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Was Bonner ever used as a substitute for Bowen last year? I thought he was in the C/PF role, and was used to sub Duncan or Oberto/Elson. Like someone else posted, Bonner can't really be considered as a SF given how much quicker other SF's are. I think Udoka will get minutes as long as he plays well. While he is listed by some as a SF, he really is more of a Raja Bell type SG who can defend both smaller and bigger players. I saw Udoka play a lot last year because I live in Portland now, and don't let his 6' 5" size fool you. He can guard bigger players because of his strength and solid positioning. He did a great job defending Lebron last year when they played. He could probably even work against Dirk if needed.

Good insight. I'm very excited about having Udoka on this team.

Darkwaters
09-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Good insight. I'm very excited about having Udoka on this team.

Udoka will be a serviceable player if not a stud from the beginning.

Scola Trade
09-28-2007, 01:43 PM
I read that Udoka was sort of a filler invitee to Blazer training camp last year and because of his hard work and defense came out not only with a full-year contract, but also earning a starter position. Hopefully he can be impressive enough to Pop on camp this year to earn a regular rotation spot, possibly backing up Bowen.

SenorSpur
09-28-2007, 03:06 PM

I agree and I don't there's any question that will occur. If Udoka was considered Portland's best defender last year, he instantly becomes the Spurs 2nd best perimeter defender this year. If anyone thinks Udoka will not be a significant contributor to the Spurs this season, consider the lineup that the Suns will throw out this season.

Nash
Bell
Hill
Marion
Stoudamire

With Manu on Bell and Bowen taking Marion out of his game (as usual), someone will have to slow down Grant Hill. Finley? Nope. Barry? Don't think so. Udoka will be the guy. Kind of like a clone of Bowen.

This is exactly what we needed the 2006 WCSF versus the Mavs when Bowen was literally switching defensive assignments back and forth between Dirk and Josh from one game to the next. There simply wasn't enough of this unique defensive talents to go around. Now there is. That's exciting. Can't wait to watch these matchups.

Look for Udoka's true value as a defender to be realized in such matchups with high-octane offensive teams like the Suns. From all accounts, he shouldn't hurt us on the offensive end either. I'm siding with Barbacoataco and Darkwaters. A wise move on the Spurs part to bring this guy aboard.

barbacoataco
09-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Your potential Suns lineup includes Marion. Don't you think he will be gone? Or is it just a big hype.

Indazone
09-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Geez no rookies? C'mon the Spurs need to prepare for the future. At least have Splitter there.

samikeyp
09-28-2007, 04:25 PM
Hoopsworld has fallen to a new low. They don't even know our team colors.

QFT.

SenorSpur
09-28-2007, 04:26 PM
Your potential Suns lineup includes Marion. Don't you think he will be gone? Or is it just a big hype.

Suns claim they're not going to trade him. Though Marion has hinted that he will "opt out" of his current contract after this season. I'm sure the Suns wouln't want him to get away w/o compensation.

We'll find out how more as the Feb trade deadline arrives. It should be very interesting. If the Suns trade this guy, they can kiss their championship hopes goodbye for this season.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Geez no rookies?There's one already, maybe another to come. rocketfans should stick to displaying ignorance regarding their own team.

T Park
09-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Had no rookies last year.

Mahinmi will be in Austin the whole season, so that point is moot.