PDA

View Full Version : Ahmadinejad Extends Speech Offer to Bush

Nbadan
09-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Can you imagine the hook-on-phonics cripe-notes this speech would take?

(AP) -- TEHRAN, Iran - After being welcomed in New York with protests and a scolding from the president of Columbia University, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is extending an invitation to President Bush. Ahmadinejad tells Iranian state television that if Bush plans to travel to Iran, he's welcome to make a speech at an Iranian university.

At Columbia Monday, university president Lee Bollinger introduced Ahmadinejad as a leader who exhibits "all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator." That introduction has prompted complaints in Iran and elsewhere that Ahmadinejad had been blindsided.

While the Iranian president himself complained of the "unfriendly treatment" and "many insults," he otherwise appeared to take the comments in stride. But back home, Iranians are saying Bollinger's words added to their image of the U.S. as a bully.

Link (http://fox21news.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=53704)

ChumpDumper
09-28-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't think Bush is planning on going to Iraq unless he's landing on an aircraft carrier.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Does anyone have any good links as to what non americans have to say about this whole ahmadinejad week?

I'm pretty interested to read their points of view, but I have had no luck googling.

DarkReign
09-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Kennedy was asked to speak with Stalin. He didnt. They say he would have been "verbally horsewhipped".

One could only imagine what the equivalent would be with Boosh.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Stalin's performance against Kennedy may have been a little stiff considering he had been dead for almost eight years when the latter took office.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38869000/jpg/_38869213_coffin_body_ap.jpg

Yonivore
09-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Kennedy was asked to speak with Stalin. He didnt. They say he would have been "verbally horsewhipped".
A Dictator has the freedom to just make shit up. He doesn't care what the rest of the world thinks about him -- only what those under his thumb do. A President has the burden of having his every word analyzed, criticized, second-guessed, by everyone in the free world; and then...in the proposed setting...rebutted by a Dictator who has the freedom...well, you get the picture.

A debate -- or even a Presidential speech -- in Tehran would be so tightly choreographed, venue, media, and audience members, that there is no way Ahmadinejad loses.

Don't even mention the security nightmare of having a sitting U. S. President visiting a nation currently engaged in hostile activities resulting in the deaths of U. S. soldiers.

So, regardless of any of our perception of President Bush's ability to speak before audiences, it'd be a no-win for any President.

In the United States, Ahmadinejad had Liberal Academia and the First Amendment on his side...or at least supporting his ability to speak freely but, no such mechanism exist in Iran.

One could only imagine what the equivalent would be with Boosh.
Yeah, because saying homosexuality doesn't exist in Iran was such an intellectually superior assertion.

boutons_
09-29-2007, 05:51 PM
"to just make shit up"

dubya, dickhead and their accomplices have been makinp up shit for 6+ years, and they "care what the rest of the world thinks", like 70% of the US that wants US out of Iraq.

The movement conservatives will tell Orwellian lies about Iraq, like they've told about VN, but it didn't work for VN and it won't work for Iraq. dubya and dickhead, and their supporters, are fucking world-class losers.

DarkReign
09-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah, because saying homosexuality doesn't exist in Iran was such an intellectually superior assertion.

:lmao Good point.

I laughed way out loud watching that.

DarkReign
09-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Stalin's performance against Kennedy may have been a little stiff considering he had been dead for almost eight years when the latter took office.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38869000/jpg/_38869213_coffin_body_ap.jpg

Yeah, my bad. I meant to say Khrushchev. My mistake.

ChumpDumper
09-30-2007, 05:17 PM
Well Krushchev actually did have an impromptu debate with then VP Nixon at kitchen display in the 1959 American National Exhibition in Moscow. Much of it was captured on early color videotape. The bad thing about trying to call any of these types of leaders on the carpet is that they can and will lie about anything. There are no political consequences for their doing so like there are for leaders in free countries. The best that can be achieved is exposing the lies and hypocrisies, but those never make it back to the people in their countries who need to see it.

Nbadan
10-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Dubya the diplomat....

By Robin Wright
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 2, 2007; Page A15

After the controversial appearance of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at Columbia University last week, an Iranian university yesterday invited President Bush to travel to Iran and speak on campus about a range of issues, including the Holocaust, terrorism, human rights and U.S. foreign policy, the Fars News Agency reported yesterday.

The invitation from Ferdowsi University in the northeastern city of Mashhad asked Bush to answer questions from students and professors "just the same way" that Ahmadinejad took questions "despite all the insults directed at him."

The White House said yesterday that Bush would be willing to travel to Iran, but under different circumstances.

"President Bush looks forward to traveling to a democratic Iran, an Iran where its leaders allow freedom of speech and assembly for all of its people and an Iran where the leaders mourn the victims of the Holocaust, not call for the destruction of Israel," National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe said.

The rhetoric followed the passage of a nonbinding resolution by Iran's parliament that labeled the CIA and the U.S. Army "terrorist organizations." That move came after the U.S. Senate last week approved a similar non-binding resolution, by a 76 to 22 vote, that urged the Bush administration to designate Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist group

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/01/AR2007100101462.html)

Meanwhile, American Universities hope that inviting Dubya to speak doesn't catch on.....

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Right, if W. went and gave a speech in Iran, the Iranian Army would blow up the whole building just to kill him, and then they'd probably try something stupid like blaming it on Israel (which dumbasses like croutons and dan would eat up).

clambake
10-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Right, if W. went and gave a speech in Iran, the Iranian Army would blow up the whole building just to kill him,

iran's not in the business of doing americans any favors :spin

Duff McCartney
10-03-2007, 11:44 AM
My opinion on this matter aside, the president of Columbia is a punk bitch. People have been bringing up a good point, he was blindsided.

The purpose of letting him speak in a university, an academic setting is to let the man speak and listen, you don't just invite him to come and then call him a "cruel dictator" a minute before he walks out on stage.

Fred
10-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Iran will soon be the 51st state. Mark my words.

xrayzebra
10-03-2007, 02:17 PM
My opinion on this matter aside, the president of Columbia is a punk bitch. People have been bringing up a good point, he was blindsided.

The purpose of letting him speak in a university, an academic setting is to let the man speak and listen, you don't just invite him to come and then call him a "cruel dictator" a minute before he walks out on stage.

I am not sure about him being blindsided. Leaders of
countries are not normally blindsided by anything, since
they are give copies of all remarks/questions that will
be proffered.

But if he was, I would think that he really could care
less. I mean after all it was an infidel that made the
statements which justifies any ridicule that Ahmadinejad
might heap on him.

ChumpDumper
10-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't feel sorry one bit about Ahmadinejad's treatment, but I don't think he could truly be called a dictator. He simply doesn't wield that much power.

Duff McCartney
10-03-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't feel sorry one bit about Ahmadinejad's treatment, but I don't think he could truly be called a dictator. He simply doesn't wield that much power.

I don't feel sorry but I think the prez is a punk ass. That's just a bitch thing to do.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't feel sorry but I think the prez is a punk ass. That's just a bitch thing to do.

Kinda like not paying someone back on a loan for a long ass time while you brag about buying shit with the money they lent you.

Extra Stout
10-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Part of the freedom in that academic setting was exercised by the Columbia president's holding Ahmadinejad accountable for his actions and for those of the nation he represents. To let him show up and speak whatever he wants, to treat him uncritically, is to be an apologist for whatever he says.

And to criticize the U.S. government on one hand, but then treat an Iranian leader with kid gloves, is intellectually dishonest and borders upon propagandizing for a foreign hostile nation.