PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Trade Buckner for Hassell

Kori Ellis
09-28-2007, 10:47 PM
The Mavericks added to their stable of swingmen by trading Greg Buckner to Minnesota for Trenton Hassell late Friday night.

The guard swap gives the Mavs another option at shooting guard opposite point guard Devin Harris. Hassell (6-5, 233) started 68 games last season for the Timberwolves, averaging 6.7 points on 49-percent shooting. The Austin Peay product scored a career-high 9.2 points per game the previous season.

Hassell, 28, is expected to be fit in nicely in Avery Johnson’s system. He’s considered a knockdown shooter inside the arc and a capable perimeter defender. His solid reputation also extends to the locker room where Kevin Garnett often referred to Hassell as his favorite teammate.

“We look forward to bringing Trenton on board,” president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. “He’s an exciting young piece who we feel is a good fit for our system.

“We want to thank Buck for his years of dedication and service, and wish him nothing but the best.”

Hassell joins Jason Terry, Eddie Jones and Devean George as the likely candidates to start alongside Harris in the backcourt as training camp opens next week. Jerry Stackhouse will likely reprise his sixth-man duties, while Josh Howard is entrenched at starting small forward.

Buckner, 31, rejoined Dallas last season by signing a three-year contract. He played in 76 games, starting 11, and averaged 4.0 points on 41-percent shooting. The Mavs envisioned Buckner (6-4, 210) as the kind of rugged defender capable of slowing down the league’s premier swingmen, but that role never materialized.

Buckner broke into the NBA with the Mavs during the 1999-2000 season and spent three years in Dallas before signing with Philadelphia. He played for Denver from 2004-06.

http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Mavs_trade_Buckner.html

dallaskd
09-28-2007, 10:48 PM
barely beat me kori

monosylab1k
09-28-2007, 11:00 PM
FUCK YES!

We get rid of The Most Useless Player In The NBA and instead get a guy that can do everything we expected said useless player to do.

A minor trade, yes, but still....simply getting rid of that fuckhead Buckner has made the Mavericks offseason a RESOUNDING SUCCESS.

Samr
09-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Remember when Denver (and the media) was all high on Buckner and his defense? It was the first time they played the Spurs in the first round (sorry, I can't remember the year... all these championship runs kind of run together after a while). I'll find an article if I can.

And then I remember when the Mavs traded for him, because of this supposed Bowen-esque defensive prowess, and everyone in MavLand was all high on him too. And then they realized he sucked. I think the only idiots here, if I remember correctly, were the Nugget's press machine and Buckner himself.

dallaskd
09-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Good deal for the mavs. im glad we got a big guard for buck. not much else to say.

Findog
09-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Blah....whatever. Why didn't we get Juwan while we still had them on the phone? A veteran on that team is totally useless and out of place.

Actually on second thought, I like this deal. Like it, don't love it. 6'5, 233 lbs. It's babysteps in the right direction.

Bruno
09-29-2007, 05:24 AM
The classical trade between a contender and a rebuilding team. The contender get a solid vet and the rebuilding team get a player with a shorter contract.

Hassel is a solid player. Mavs, like Spurs, are really deep at the SG/SF with Terry, Howard, Stackhouse, Jones, George, Hassel and Acker. Even if Terry will play some PG, George some PF and Acker won't play, it will be quite difficult to find playtime for everybody.

Hassel should be a non factor against Spurs. If AJ use Hassel against Spurs, pop will be able to put a big against him and it will allow Spurs to stay big and to defend Dirk with Bowen or Udoka.

venitian navigator
09-29-2007, 05:40 AM
I don't think he has a shorter contract and, in fact, I don't understand the trade from a wolves point of wiew...Buckner is three years older, have a contract one year longer (looking at hoopsype salaries) and, imho, is the worst of he two.
Hassell colud have been packed with somebody else (see Howard, Davis, Blount...) for some young talent and expiring contracts.
But, evidently, that's too much to think for minnesota's management.

JamStone
09-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Couple things ...

Trenton Hassell is 233 lbs???? That sounds pretty heavy for a 6-5 swingman who will be counted on as the main perimeter defender. Is that a misprint?

Also, the article makes it seem like Devin Harris is the clear starter at point guard and Jason Terry is competing for a starting job. Has AJ made that public that Terry is fighting for a spot in the starting line-up?

Bruno
09-29-2007, 06:15 AM
I don't think he has a shorter contract and, in fact, I don't understand the trade from a wolves point of wiew...Buckner is three years older, have a contract one year longer (looking at hoopsype salaries) and, imho, is the worst of he two.
Hassell colud have been packed with somebody else (see Howard, Davis, Blount...) for some young talent and expiring contracts.
But, evidently, that's too much to think for minnesota's management.

The last two years of Buckner contract aren't guaranteed. Wolves have turned a 3 years contract into a 2 years contract.

big3bigD
09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Couple things ...

Trenton Hassell is 233 lbs???? That sounds pretty heavy for a 6-5 swingman who will be counted on as the main perimeter defender. Is that a misprint?

Also, the article makes it seem like Devin Harris is the clear starter at point guard and Jason Terry is competing for a starting job. Has AJ made that public that Terry is fighting for a spot in the starting line-up?

Not really, but he has made it clear that Harris will be the starting 1.

AFBlue
09-29-2007, 10:37 AM
This is a fringe trade for two similar players. It didn't work out with Buckner, so they're just hoping it works out with Hassell....not a given.

Besides, the real acquisition that mattered this off-season for Dallas was for Eddie Jones. He's a proven defender and can knock down shots. I'd be suprised if Hassell sees the court.

JamStone
09-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Except at this point in their respective careers, Trenton Hassell is a much better defender than Eddie Jones. And, with Dallas, do they really need another scorer? My guess is that Hassell will see more court time than Eddie Jones. But, who really knows.

monosylab1k
09-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Blah....whatever. Why didn't we get Juwan while we still had them on the phone? A veteran on that team is totally useless and out of place.
I really don't get the Juwan Howard love I'm seeing from all my fellow Mavs fans. We had him once before and he wasn't that great then. Why take him back? And since when has he been a post player? He's never been a post player...he might have a half-ass move that works once a game, but that's about it. I really don't see Juwan Howard helping us. The Hassell trade was great only because we got rid of Buckner.

In crunch time during the playoffs, the ABSOLUTE LAST THING I WANT TO SEE for the Mavs is Juwan Howard trying to post someone up. We had a chance to get a significant post player like Zach Randolph or Jermaine O'Neal but didn't. At this point all we can hope is that Dirk grows a sack.

sribb43
09-29-2007, 11:22 AM
1st off stop with the why didnt we acquire Juwan?

As for Hassel, I like the deal all be it small. Good deal for the mavs, slight upgrade, he is a bigger guard (according to FWST he outways Buck by 20lbs) more consistent shooter but doenst have 3 point range. However, I definetly see him as the Adrian Griffin type with more offense that Avery has been looking for.

himat
09-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Solid defender...

sickdsm
09-29-2007, 11:11 PM
But never adapted to the handchecking rules a few years back.

THis is a WTF trade.

But i will say that although he's a lights out spot up shooter and CAN attack if you close out on him, I really don't see him turning the page as a respectiable scorer if he wouldn't shoot wide open shots with KG trying to get him to shoot more. I'm sure that when hes playing with guys that need their shots hes not going to shoot more.

TLWisfoine
09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Just about anythings better than Buckner. Sorry it didn't work out though and good luck to him.