PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi and Elson

raspsa
09-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Like most fans, I don't know much about Mahinmi. What I hear is that he's athletic, is mobile for a big guy and likes to dunk. He's also very raw. Is it fair to say that he's like a young Elson? Since there was so much anticipation of Elson going up against Dirk, does Mahinmi have the potentialto at least bother Nowitzki defensively?

picnroll
09-29-2007, 09:15 AM
Only if Dirk plays in the D League this year.

BacktoBasics
09-29-2007, 09:28 AM
You got the raw part right but I don't completely buy into the fact that it's necessarily talent potential.

Most don't agree with me but this guy was drafted because he was zero risk with zero cost and zero liability. If it panned into anything its a major score and if it panned into nothing no one gives a shit.

Right now with little to no expectation they can put a little time into him to see if there is even a shread of a player there and if there isn't they can just severe ties without any real hoopla or ramifications at all.

Very best scenario is he could actually fill the 12th or 11th spot on the roster and be a decent practice player. I don't see anything short of a miracle if this guy ever amounts to anything more than that. The beauty is that no one knows him and if it doesn't work out no one cares.

This is far better than drafting someone with a smidge of legitimate potential and having to answer why he didn't fulfill it, all why costing the team some money and a roster spot.

Solid D
09-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Ian is a first round pick. Now that the Spurs have decided to bring him over, they are committed to a rookie (1st rounders only) contract worth $938,760 in 2007-08 and $1,009,200 in 2008-09. They have team options for 2009-10 ($1,079,640) and 2010-11 ($1,948,750). He's not exactly "zero cost" but the young pup could end up being a nice player with the right developement.

BacktoBasics
09-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Good point, but I didn't clarify about the money issue. I meant it didn't cost them anything at that point.

Bruno
09-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Mahinmi has, without a doubt, the physical tools to defend players like Dirk.

smrattler
09-29-2007, 12:14 PM
When we first drafted him the first thing I thought was "future Dirk stopper". But I figured by the time he was able to actually compete at that level, it would be too late for our TD vs Dirk era. I still think I'm right, he COULD be a capable defender for him, but in about 4 years from now and it might not matter by then.

jéjé
09-29-2007, 12:34 PM
tp said on an interwiew that it will be a transion year for mahimni and he 'd play a lot of time in d-league.

He's more like okafor than elson for my part .

objective
09-29-2007, 01:59 PM
i wonder what Mahinmi weighs now after the year with the strength trainer.

His announced weight at signing was 230, is that a recent weight or will it change when the season starts? A Ludden article from 06 actually had his weight at 210.

I'm only curious because Elson gets listed at 235 and he's a slender 7-0, Mahinmi in video and pics has looked like he should at least weigh as much even if he's listed at an inch shorter.