PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Sign Marcus Williams

Hoy
09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Garrett Ellwood/NBAE/Getty Images

September 29, 2007
Spurs Sign Marcus Williams

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they signed their 2007 second round draft pick Marcus Williams. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Williams, the 33rd overall pick, played for the Spurs summer league teams in both Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. He averaged 3.6 points and 2.4 rebounds in 18.6 minutes in five games in the Vegas Summer League and 7.6 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 27.8 minutes in five games at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Williams spent two seasons at the University of Arizona before declaring for the NBA Draft. Last season he earned First Team All-Pac-10 honors as a sophomore. The 6-7 forward ranked fourth in the Pac-10 in scoring (16.6 ppg) and eighth in rebounding (6.7 rpg), while registering four double-doubles in 30 games. Williams scored in double figures 20 times and had a career-high 34 points – along with 12 rebounds – vs. Oregon on Jan. 14, 2007. As a freshman, he was named to the Pac-10 All-Freshman team, averaging 13.0 points and 4.7 rebounds. During his two years with the Wildcats, he averaged 14.7 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.0 assists while shooting .475 (355-748) from the field. Williams participated in the 2005 Global Games as a member of Team USA, averaging 18.8 points and 7.3 rebounds in six games.

El_Mago
09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Nice.

So much for everyone who was hoping the Spurs would let him go to Europe or just not sign him.

Looks like the Toros will have two nice prospects (Ian and Marcus) this year.

I'm Marcus has been working with Chip and this year will improve drastically.

T Park
09-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Yeah shucks, they signed a 20 year old talented small forward who can play defense and is wanting to learn and be taught.

The Spurs are so cursed.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 02:07 PM
They can still probably cut him at any time, but I like the signing. What other reason would they have for buying the Toros than developing young talent?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2007, 02:08 PM
:tu I'd rather have him in Austin than in Europe.

T Park
09-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Williams and Mahinmi will be more than enough motivation to drive up there and see them play.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Williams and Mahinmi will be more than enough motivation to drive up there and see them play.
:tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Will he be wearing #26 like summer league?

Bruno
09-29-2007, 02:35 PM
:elephant

Budkin
09-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah shucks, they signed a 20 year old talented small forward who can play defense and is wanting to learn and be taught.

The Spurs are so cursed.

I'm right there with ya TPark. I really like this signing despite the naysayers. I think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised this season. :clap

timvp
09-29-2007, 03:03 PM
It'll be interesting to see how much guaranteed money he got. The less, the better.

I think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised this season. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he averages double figures in D-League. That said, the D-League is so watered down this year it'd probably be a horrible sign if he can't average double digits there.

Kori Ellis
09-29-2007, 03:05 PM
He probably just got $25K guaranteed or something.

It's interesting that the Spurs haven't announced any training camp roster yet.

exstatic
09-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm right there with ya TPark. I really like this signing despite the naysayers. I think we're all going to be pleasantly surprised this season. :clap
I think the people of Austin may be mildly surprised. Oh, and Marcus? Don't suck at training camp...

timvp
09-29-2007, 03:09 PM
The only Spurs fans who are excited about Marcus Williams right now are the Spurs fans that didn't watch him play in summer league. He was usually the worst player on the court.

The three things he has going for him are he wants to defend, his offense used to not be as horrible and he seems like a hard worker. Other than that, there's nothing to get excited about unless you want to have blind faith in the front office.

I've watched summer league now for about nine years and Marcus Williams managed to play at a level of suck I've never seen before.

SenorSpur
09-29-2007, 03:18 PM
:tu to the Spurs.

For those wanting to bury the kid for his dismal performance during SL, let's see how he develops over the next year or so before we label him a big ol bust.

tomcat
09-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Everyone signs to go to training camp. He probably got what Landry (Rockets 2nd round) got ("tender" offer) and has to make the team which he may not. Williams was holding out for guaranteed money and got none so he had to sign with nothing else looming except nbdl or europe.

If he could not impress in SL I doubt he can do it in preseason. I've never seen so many airballs and horrid shot selection.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 03:35 PM
My recollection is foggy about what happened with Sean Banks, but I think he remained on the Tulsa D-League team for at least a few games after he was waived by the Hornets. Maybe the Spurs have a similar CIA plan in store for Marcus. Any team could call him up in that case -- but it would be cheap, and that's all the Spurs have ever cared about, right?

tomcat
09-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Supposedly there is a way you can release a pick and still retain his rights if he signs a "certain" contract. Spurs know Williams is not ready to help them now but think he has pro potential and want to retain his rights w/o paying an nba salary. My understanding is that Williams nor his agent wants this. Last year Seattle gave 2nd rd pick Denham Brown the same deal that Williams is getting and Brown was waived, went to the nbdl w/o nba salary. I cannot see Williams making this team.

ace3g
09-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Speaking of training camp, We will possibly get to see how Sanikidze does against NBA talent when the Grizzlies play Sanikidze's team MMT Estudiantes on October 11; part of the NBA Europe Live tour

Budkin
09-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Being in Austin, I'm almost as excited for the Toros this season as I am for the Spurs.

objective
09-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Speaking of training camp, We will possibly get to see how Sanikidze does against NBA talent when the Grizzlies play Sanikidze's team MMT Estudiantes on October 11; part of the NBA Europe Live tour

Is Sanikidze still with them?

SenorSpur
09-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Supposedly there is a way you can release a pick and still retain his rights if he signs a "certain" contract. Spurs know Williams is not ready to help them now but think he has pro potential and want to retain his rights w/o paying an nba salary. My understanding is that Williams nor his agent wants this. Last year Seattle gave 2nd rd pick Denham Brown the same deal that Williams is getting and Brown was waived, went to the nbdl w/o nba salary. I cannot see Williams making this team.

Knowing how the Spurs operate, I would be willing to bet that there is no guaranteed money involved here - nor should there be. This kid is certainly not a lock to make the squad. Given his apparent work ethic so far, I just hope the Spurs invest enough time in him to see him develop.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Last year Seattle gave 2nd rd pick Denham Brown the same deal that Williams is getting and Brown was waived, went to the nbdl w/o nba salary.Seattle now hs no rights to Brown.
I cannot see Williams making this team.I couldn't see Ian's making the team either unless it was specifically to be sent to Austin.

tomcat
09-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Ian will make it because of his position and size...be sent to the nbdl for further development/practice.

A Marcus Williams they can get in any year's draft.

ChumpDumper I know Seattle did not retain Brown's rights...they CUT him. He refused to sign the contract they wanted him to sign...,just as Williams is refusing.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Ian will make it becuase of his position and size...be sent to the nbdl for further development/practice.So could Marcus.
A Marcus Williams they can get in any year's draft. But they got him in this year's draft.
He refused to sign the contract they wanted him to sign...,just as Williams is refusing.Williams DID sign a contract.

I don't know why we are pretending the Spurs were forced to choose Williams at gunpoint and he is holding the entire Spurs season hostage by wanting some guaranteed money from a first-year minimum contract. The Spurs can waive him at any time regardless of the guaranteed amount, but they obviously want to have a look at him. Otherwise they wouldn't have even bothered to give him a tender offer.

picnroll
09-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Could be Buford wants to string it out a bit rather than show a mistake so was made big that the guy couldn't even make it to training camp and a couple of months of NBDL.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Could be that this kid is 20 years old and GMs don't get fired for blowing a #33 pick.

picnroll
09-29-2007, 04:18 PM
No but these guys do have egos I think.

T Park
09-29-2007, 04:32 PM
:lol

the kid is 20, lute olsen thinks hes a great talent, but he plays bad in some pickup games in Utah and hes automatically horrible.

Greg Oden sucked at summer league too, should portland fan be pissed he signed?

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:32 PM
No but these guys do have egos I think.Sure, but isn't this just the kind of player who should be developed by the Spurs in Austin?

picnroll
09-29-2007, 04:37 PM
Just giving another scenario, not saying he's a guaranteed bust or that was the Spurs motive.

btw what picks have totally stunk it up in SL and turned out to be good players. Not saying they don' exist but can't thnk of any.

exstatic
09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
My doubts of Marcus rest on one thing, and it isn't an abysmal summer league performance: he refused to do what the Spurs wanted him to do. The Spurs have kicked players like that WITH ability to the curb. See: Rose, Malik Brown, Devin Jackson, Steven. You do not win when you defy the Spurs F.O.

tomcat
09-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I think you are right 'exstatic'.

His ego according to wildcat fans is over inflated. If he and Lute clashed, he will certainly clash with Pop. That is all the front office needs to ship him out.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Then they will ship him out.

It's hilarious that this is such a big deal.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Why don't we start a poll to understand the spurstalk consensus on this future Austin Toro's star?

Bruno
09-29-2007, 04:49 PM
I will be curious to see what kind of deal Williams get. I just hope that it's a 2 or 3 years contract and not a 1 year contract.

Williams is too a sophomore coming from a "so-so" NCAA season. I think Spurs will look more at his attitude and upside than his summer league games. if Spurs wanted a nba ready player, they would have drafted a solid senior.

T Park
09-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Then they will cut him and sign some other long small forward stiff.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:52 PM
I will be curious to see what kind of deal Williams get. I just hope that it's a 2 or 3 years contract and not a 1 year contract.I would assume that it is a one year contract with a team option on a second year. That really doesn't cost the Spurs anything if he doesn't work out, but protects their interests if he does.

Bruno
Is Sanikidze still with them?

Sanikidze is lost in space.
AFAIK, He is still under contract with Estudiantes but he isn't practicing with them.

ChumpDumper
Then they will cut him and sign some other long small forward stiff.I think they would just go without one again in that case just to piss us off.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:55 PM
I think Viktor is going to be a case study in circumventing the CBA to get a guy on a D-League team.

tomcat
09-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Quick take--- He and James White are about the same size...White better player now...White better summer league but not great by any means... White evaluated all season by Spurs...White time in nbdl...White released ...

Marcus Williams turn...

T Park
09-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Quick take--- He and James White are about the same size

uh no.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:57 PM
White was cut because he actually regressed in summer league. If Marcus doesn't take advantage of the opportunities he will be given in SA and Austin, he'll be gone.

T Park
09-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I think they would just go without one again in that case just to piss us off.

wouldn't piss me off

but it would piss off the usual suspects

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 04:59 PM
wouldn't piss me off

but it would piss off the usual suspectsI would be totally pissed off.

Bruno
I would assume that it is a one year contract with a team option on a second year. That really doesn't cost the Spurs anything if he doesn't work out, but protects their interests if he does.

I think too but if Spurs and Williams' agent haven't agreed to sign a contract like that because of the amount of guaranteed money, he could have signed the tender offer that is an one year contract.

tomcat
T Park-----both are listed at 6'7-------uh yep

Bruno
09-29-2007, 05:00 PM
he refused to do what the Spurs wanted him to do.

What did he refused to do ?

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 05:03 PM
I think too but if Spurs and Williams' agent haven't agreed to sign a contract like that because of the amount of guaranteed money, he could have signed the tender offer that is an one year contract.True, but that seems a little counterproductive if the Spurs' offer was at all better than the tender. Anyway I don't know if a guy stashed in Austin all season would get much attention next season as a free agent.

picnroll
09-29-2007, 05:06 PM
What did he refused to do ?
I assume they're refering to sign with a team in Europe

Bruno
09-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I assume they're refering to sign with a team in Europe

If it's that :
First, the fact that Spurs wanted to send Williams in Europe is just an assumption made by some people on this board.
Second, Williams left the college to play in nba. If Spurs blame him because he wants to try his chance in nba instead of going in Europe, it's damn lame.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I like going over silly scenarios in my head. Here's mine for Viktor that they might have even had in mind for Marcus.

1) RC told me that the Spurs were trying to get the rules concerning the rights to regular Toros players (not under contract with the Spurs). He didn't elaborate, but it's obvious he wants to be able to keep control over players being developed on the Toros.

2) Viktor doesn't have a team, and teams in Europe are already playing game.

3) The Spurs ask the league if Viktor can play for the Toros as a D-League player, citing the example of Ricky Sanchez, who played for the Idaho Stampede while his rights were held by the Denver Nuggets and prevented his being called up by any other team.

4) The league balks, saying the players' union wouldn't go for it. Spurs counter by saying it has already been done and the Spurs are doing their part by carrying a full roster into the season.

5) If the league still refuses, the Spurs encourage Viktor to sign with the Rio Grande Silverados as a free agent where he can play basketball five miles from the D-League arena where the Toros play when they come to town. Spurs bitch about it to the media every chance they get, and promise the league pictures of Viktor watching a Vipers/Toros game while wearing a Continental Basketball Association cap and Silverados practice jersey will make the rounds on the internets.

6) NBA quietly allows Viktor to be allocated to the Toros and grants them and the Lakers a limited right of first refusal for D-League call ups from their respective teams.

exstatic
09-29-2007, 05:59 PM
If it's that :
First, the fact that Spurs wanted to send Williams in Europe is just an assumption made by some people on this board.
Uh, no. The Spurs house mouthpiece columnist just did a piece last week where the team REALLY wanted him to go to Europe next year.

Second, Williams left the college to play in nba. If Spurs blame him because he wants to try his chance in nba instead of going in Europe, it's damn lame.
He isn't ready. Second round picks usually aren't. The Spurs aren't lame, they're realistic. Even if he were to make the 15th roster spot, he won't be playing more than a few garbage NBA minutes this season. He'll be in Austin playing against a lower level of competition than Europe, and probably developing slower.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 06:12 PM
He isn't ready. Second round picks usually aren't. The Spurs aren't lame, they're realistic. Even if he were to make the 15th roster spot, he won't be playing more than a few garbage NBA minutes this season. He'll be in Austin playing against a lower level of competition than Europe, and probably developing slower.That's kind of debatable. What level is he ready for? Eurolague? French A? Lega Due? Finland? I'm not sure, but I am sure that the Spurs have much less control over his development on a Euro team then they would in Austin. I can't say that I was satisfied about the minutes and roles guys like Ian and Viktor played on their respective teams last season. Isn't it better from the Spurs standpoint to have them play in the Spurs system on a team that exists solely to develop players in that system and plays games on a level somewhere between the A and B leagues of the best European national basketball organizations?

Bruno
09-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Uh, no. The Spurs house mouthpiece columnist just did a piece last week where the team REALLY wanted him to go to Europe next year.

Maybe you should re-read that article.

He isn't ready. Second round picks usually aren't. The Spurs aren't lame, they're realistic.

You don't have to be nba ready to be on a nba roster. Most of the nba teams have nba prospects on their roster that aren't nba ready, there is even the DLeague to give them some playtime.

Marcus Williams has left the college to play in nba. Spurs have drafted him knowing that. Spurs knew too that as a sophomore he likely wasn't nba ready.
If Spurs blame him for not wanting to go in Europe, they are lame and they shouldn't have drafted him.

SequSpur
09-29-2007, 07:20 PM
so basically the spurs have signed 5-6 buckets of shit for millions and scola and d brown sign for triple peanuts with other teams and the spurs are still fucking around with tools that can't play on a shitty summer league...

and tpark wants to drive to austin to see a team that couldn't win a spurstalk tourney..

what a fuck up.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Scola sucks.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1079184&postcount=53

Devin is done for life.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=230973&postcount=416

timvp
09-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Maybe you should re-read that article. You need to reboot your CIA Pop Translator. If you didn't see that article as a blatant call for Williams to go to Europe, you missed the point of the article.

You don't have to be nba ready to be on a nba roster. Most of the nba teams have nba prospects on their roster that aren't nba ready, there is even the DLeague to give them some playtime.

Marcus Williams has left the college to play in nba. Spurs have drafted him knowing that. Spurs knew too that as a sophomore he likely wasn't nba ready.
If Spurs blame him for not wanting to go in Europe, they are lame and they shouldn't have drafted him.What's with all the Bruno Spurs hate this offseason? It's lame to say the Spurs are lame for wanting a disappointing second round pick to go to Europe.

What some are missing in their thinking regarding Williams is the fact that if Williams plays in Europe, he doesn't cost the Spurs anything. Right now, it doesn't look like he's worth the money to develop him on an D-League roster. It's easy to say the D-League is better for him ... until you realize the price difference.

And yeah he was a sophomore but the Spurs thought he was better than he turned out to be. Buck Harvey, who has never seen a summer league game in his life, said Williams played poorly in summer league. You don't think that was a spoon fed opinion straight from the Spurs?

If Williams would have been decent during summer league, I'd be fine with the D-League route. He was horrible so yes, I understand why the Spurs wanted to ship him to Europe to see if he'd ever develop into anything without wasting their own money and roster spot on him. And no, the Spurs aren't lame for doing so.

P.S.

Bruno, you seem to be Williams' biggest backer. I'm just wondering if you watched any of the summer league action. If I had to guess, I would guess you didn't or else you wouldn't be throwing around these "lame" accusations.

Bruno
09-29-2007, 08:16 PM
You need to reboot your CIA Pop Translator. If you didn't see that article as a blatant call for Williams to go to Europe, you missed the point of the article.

Wasn't the point of the article to flatere timvp's ego ?

What's with all the Bruno Spurs hate this offseason? It's lame to say the Spurs are lame for wanting a disappointing second round pick to go to Europe.

I haven't said that.
I have nothing against Spurs wanting to send Williams in Europe. I have something against Spurs blaming Williams for making the choice to play in nba.

P.S.

Bruno, you seem to be Williams' biggest backer. I'm just wondering if you watched any of the summer league action. If I had to guess, I would guess you didn't or else you wouldn't be throwing around these "lame" accusations.

I've watched Vegas SL games and Williams wasn't good at all.

misterx91578
09-29-2007, 08:16 PM

The Spurs are so cursed.

cursed with 4 rings :blah

timvp
09-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Wasn't the point of the article to flatere timvp's ego ?Besides that.

Did you read the article? Or at least look at the title?

I haven't said that.
I have nothing against Spurs wanting to send Williams in Europe. I have something against Spurs blaming Williams for making the choice to play in nba. You don't blame the Spurs for wanting Williams to go to Europe but you blame the Spurs if they wanted Williams to go to Europe and Williams didn't want to go.

Got it.

:dizzy

I've watched Vegas SL games and Williams wasn't good at all.So how can you blame the Spurs for wanting him to produce on someone else's dime? What is lame about that?

ducks
09-29-2007, 08:32 PM
if the spurs were not going to use the 15 spot on anyone else I am happy with this move.
if spurs can get someone else then they can either cut him or they can cut beno or trade him to the cavs for that trade exception. (ferry is being spur trader so far)

Bruno
09-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Besides that.

Did you read the article? Or at least look at the title?

timvp is in his Fox Mulder mode.
He wants to believe.

You don't blame the Spurs for wanting Williams to go to Europe but you blame the Spurs if they wanted Williams to go to Europe and Williams didn't want to go.

Got it.

No you didn't.

when you draft a NCAA player and it's even more the case for an underclassman, you had to accept that he wants to try to play in nba, even if he sucks during the SL.

So how can you blame the Spurs for wanting him to produce on someone else's dime? What is lame about that?

Link ?

ducks
09-29-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree if you Draft and the player is a ncaa underclassmen it is more unlikely that he will not want to go to europe to play
if he was from overthere he would be more inclined to

timvp
09-29-2007, 09:07 PM
timvp is in his Fox Mulder mode.
He wants to believe.Actually, timvp is in his reading comprehension mode.

No you didn't.

when you draft a NCAA player and it's even more the case for an underclassman, you had to accept that he wants to try to play in nba, even if he sucks during the SL.:lol

The Spurs don't have to accept anything. This is about winning championships, not making sure some second round pick doesn't get his feelings hurt. If the Spurs nudged Williams toward Europe and he didn't want to go, there is nothing lame about being disappointed.

And what's with this new rule you invented about how only college seniors can be asked to go to Europe? Guillermo Diaz and Alex Acker came out of school early and went on to play in Europe. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are plenty of example throughout the years.

You can't invent new rules and then blame the Spurs for not following those new rules. In fact, it makes more sense sending a younger player to Europe because you know they could improve. With a college senior, you pretty much know what you are going to get.

If Williams was asked to go to Europe and refused, that's on him. You can't say the Spurs are lame because they asked some second rounder to go to Europe because he broke down new barriers of suck during summer league. If he didn't want to go to Europe, he should have played better. He's lucky the Spurs didn't just throw him to the curb after that SL performance.

The only thing lame here is how Williams has played so far.

Link ?http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78549

wildbill2u
09-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Doesn't everyone realize that only about 15-20 of even the late FIRST rounders make the NBA every year. The odds on 2nd round picks are even higher.

No one should get too excited about this because of a few 2nd rounders with talent that we've stolen.

Solid D
09-29-2007, 09:14 PM
RC's Project Marcus is underway. We'll all be watching........and waiting........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................

picnroll
09-29-2007, 09:15 PM
If I was Williams I wouldn't go over as the Spurs property either. I'd force them to sign me or release me. What's in it for Williams to go for the Spurs? He goes and gets better as Spurs property he's dependent on them as to when he's bought over and up to the NBA and it's on a second round deal. He goes and gets better as an unrestricted player and he can deal with any team and at contract terms that are the best he can get.

timvp
09-29-2007, 09:25 PM
If I was Williams I wouldn't go over as the Spurs property either. I'd force them to sign me or release me. What's in it for Williams to go for the Spurs? He goes and gets better as Spurs property he's dependent on them as to when he's bought over and up to the NBA and it's on a second round deal. He goes and gets better as an unrestricted player and he can deal with any team and at contract terms that are the best he can get.Williams can do whatever he wants. I don't blame him if his plan is to force the Spurs to either roster him or waive him. That's his choice.

But I do have a problem with someone thinking the Spurs are the bad guy in this scenario. Just as Williams has his options, the Spurs have their options. One of their options is to nudge Williams to Europe or the D-League without having to sign him. If he refuses, fine, the Spurs obviously won't like it but that doesn't make the Spurs "lame".

Williams put himself in this unique situation by being so horrible in summer league. The Spurs don't deserve any blame no matter what they end up doing with Williams. They could tell him to play in the WNBA for all I care.

himat
09-29-2007, 09:29 PM
When I saw this thread I thought you were talking about Marcus Williams of the Nets..the PG who comes off the bench only because the Nets have J Kidd. I am glad I was wrong.

AFBlue
09-29-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't get what all the fuss is about....

Spurs used their 15th roster spot and chump change on a young kid they invested an early second round pick on just a few months ago. They evaluated him in the summer league and probably noted two things. First, he has a LONG way to go offensively. Two, and probably most important, he has good defensive ability and a willingness to improve.

Seems like a good move on a long-term investment for this team...but one that has no bearing on this season and possibly not next season either.

Again, what's the big deal?

AFBlue
09-29-2007, 09:38 PM
And who cares if he should've gone to Europe or not...

What's done is done. Marcus Williams will spend training camp with the Spurs and most of next season with the Toros.

To me, it makes the most sense. His biggest weakness is shooting and less than 60 miles away will be one of the best shooting coaches in the world.

Good move for Marcus and the Spurs...

timvp
09-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Again, what's the big deal?I don't think anyone is claiming there is a "big deal" involved.

The question, however, is whether Williams signed the tender offer or whether the Spurs actually made a commitment to him. There's a huge difference in those two scenarios.

timvp
09-29-2007, 09:39 PM
And who cares if he should've gone to Europe or not...

What's done is done. Marcus Williams will spend training camp with the Spurs and most of next season with the Toros.

To me, it makes the most sense. His biggest weakness is shooting and less than 60 miles away will be one of the best shooting coaches in the world.

Good move for Marcus and the Spurs...I wouldn't engrave that is stone just yet. If Williams signed the tender, there's a pretty high chance he doesn't make it out of training camp.

AFBlue
09-29-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't think anyone is claiming there is a "big deal" involved.

The question, however, is whether Williams signed the tender offer or whether the Spurs actually made a commitment to him. There's a huge difference in those two scenarios.

Tender offer is non-guaranteed one year

Commitment deal is two-year partial guarantee

Something to that effect?

Either way, the difference is what? He's still going to spend the majority of his time in Austin this year anyways, whether it's taking up the 15th spot or not.

AFBlue
09-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't engrave that is stone just yet. If Williams signed the tender, there's a pretty high chance he doesn't make it out of training camp.

They gave James White a full year without even having him in their camp. They didn't even make the initial investment.

What makes you think they dump Williams after 10 games in the summer league?

And if they do...so what?

Again, we're talking 15th roster spot.

Personally, I think they keep him because of the investment they already made. But time will tell.....

picnroll
09-29-2007, 10:07 PM
They gave James White a full year without even having him in their camp. They didn't even make the initial investment.

What makes you think they dump Williams after 10 games in the summer league?

And if they do...so what?

Again, we're talking 15th roster spot.

Personally, I think they keep him because of the investment they already made. But time will tell.....
They had to attract White while they have the rights to William.

If they think there is a good chance he sucks I hope it was a tender offer and they can pick up a hot prospect laterif he continues to suck. Most of the guys that were second rounders and look promising get committmetns to lock them up and that wasn't Williams

Darkwaters
09-30-2007, 02:21 AM
They had to attract White while they have the rights to William.

If they think there is a good chance he sucks I hope it was a tender offer and they can pick up a hot prospect laterif he continues to suck. Most of the guys that were second rounders and look promising get committmetns to lock them up and that wasn't Williams

Exactly. Plus, I believe that White had a pretty promising Summer League performance with Indiana (at least on Marcus Williams standards) and they had absolutely no new leads at the time to inject new blood into the wing (which is not the case this season considering the Udoka signing).

Bruno
09-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Actually, timvp is in his reading comprehension mode.

You have some serious reading comprehension troubles in this thread.

When I say Spurs are lame, it has nothing to do with Spurs wanting or not to send Williams in Europe.

I've said that Spurs would be lame if they do what exstatic suggested in a post. http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1982754&postcount=32

ChumpDumper
09-30-2007, 03:54 AM
I don't know why the terms of the contract are such a big deal. The Spurs signed him and can cut him whenever they want to. If someone that much better comes along, they will. At the very most, it's a one-year minimum salary.

pad300
10-01-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't know why the terms of the contract are such a big deal. The Spurs signed him and can cut him whenever they want to. If someone that much better comes along, they will. At the very most, it's a one-year minimum salary.

The Spurs do regularly pinch their pennies as much as possible; I am not sure they would be willing to dump a guaranteed contract for a better-seeming prospect even if one came along. I would expect the decision to be much easier for them if William's contract was not guaranteed.

In other news, http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-113/Monday-Bullets.html, "The Clippers gave up on Jared Jordan, trading him to the Knicks for cash. The Knicks now have 19 real deal players counting Jordan, and only 15 roster spots, so I'd say he's facing a stiff challenge in New York, too. There are a bunch of teams that will be making painful cuts in the weeks to come. (Detroit, for instance.) Teams with open roster spots are waiting ...".
In particular, I expect the Knicks to be forced to cut Demetris Nichols (#53, 2007). Judging on summer league, Nichols would be a huge improvement over Williams. He would be a good fit with us, a SF, shooter, and a willing defender.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2184

Nichols has been impressive all week, and has definitely earned a spot somewhere in the NBA.

ChumpDumper
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
No one thought they would keep White all season either. If it's just a few hundred thousand, they haven't really seemed to sweat it these past couple of seasons.

AFBlue
10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
The Spurs do regularly pinch their pennies as much as possible; I am not sure they would be willing to dump a guaranteed contract for a better-seeming prospect even if one came along. I would expect the decision to be much easier for them if William's contract was not guaranteed.

In other news, http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-113/Monday-Bullets.html, "The Clippers gave up on Jared Jordan, trading him to the Knicks for cash. The Knicks now have 19 real deal players counting Jordan, and only 15 roster spots, so I'd say he's facing a stiff challenge in New York, too. There are a bunch of teams that will be making painful cuts in the weeks to come. (Detroit, for instance.) Teams with open roster spots are waiting ...".
In particular, I expect the Knicks to be forced to cut Demetris Nichols (#53, 2007). Judging on summer league, Nichols would be a huge improvement over Williams. He would be a good fit with us, a SF, shooter, and a willing defender.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2184

The Spurs had a chance to draft Nichols...and they didn't. They had a chance to draft McGuire....and they didn't. They had a chance to draft Byars...and they didn't.

They didn't, because they obviously saw something they liked in Williams. That's the reason they gave him a contract and brought him to training camp.

Like it or not, the Spurs seem pretty interested in following through with their investment in Williams. I wouldn't count on any other player, be they a training camp invite or a castoff from another team, occupying the 15th spot.

And that ain't necessarily bad....

Look, for as bad as Williams looked offensively during the SL and for as horrible as his shot mechanics may be, this guy managed to be an extremely effective scorer at the college level.

But, I can guarantee that's not why the Spurs drafted him and certainly not why he now has a contract. He got that contract because of the defensive ability he showed in college and at the SL. Say what you want about his offense, but he was flat-out disruptive with his length on defense....blocking shots and getting into the passing lanes.

I, for one, am glad that the Spurs made this investment...

Solid D
10-01-2007, 10:45 PM
'Looks like Marcus will be wearing the James White! #33 Spurs jersey.

timvp
10-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Williams left the college to play in nba. If Spurs blame him because he wants to try his chance in nba instead of going in Europe, it's damn lame.

If Spurs blame him for not wanting to go in Europe, they are lame and they shouldn't have drafted him.

You have some serious reading comprehension troubles in this thread.

When I say Spurs are lame, it has nothing to do with Spurs wanting or not to send Williams in Europe.

Classic.

:lmao

Bruno
10-02-2007, 04:49 AM
Classic.

What is classic is that you can't even make the difference between "wanting to send Williams in Europe" and "blaming Williams for not wanting to go in Europe".

PS : I can too use the lmao smiley. :)

tomcat
10-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Williams has to fight for that spot as he did not receive a guaranteed contract.

Other players will be released around the league in October remember.

Do not think for one minute that it will be handed to him.

mountainballer
10-02-2007, 11:23 AM

totally agree!
I was a big fan of the idea of getting him in the draft and was very surprised that he dropped that far.
Nichols has really shown many of the qualities Spurs are usually looking for. he has nice length and a great 7' wingspan. lateral footspeed is also very good, he could become a more than decent defender.
additional quality is his good rebounding, something none of the Spurs wings is above average. Nichols had almost 6 RPG, but what most overlook is, that he was playing alongside 2 real bigs (Watkins and Roberts) AND alongside leaping wonder Paul Harris, likely the best rebounding guard in college (7 RPG in some 20 MPG, Harris has reportedly a 44" vertical leap)

so, if the Knicks cut Nichols, I hope Spurs don't hesitate to cut Williams or Beno to open a roster spot for him and add him. he will be a steal IMO.

barbacoataco
10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Word is that a lot of teams will be cutting players who are NBA talent. For some reason there is an abundance of players. Does anyone understand why this is so? Spurs might be able to pick up a much better prospect than Marcus.

barbacoataco
10-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Word is that a lot of teams will be cutting players who are NBA talent. For some reason there is an abundance of players. Does anyone understand why this is so? Spurs might be able to pick up a much better prospect than Marcus.

AFBlue
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM

How many fucking times do I have to explain it....

The Spurs had a shot at damn near everyone in the second round of this draft because they had the third pick. They chose Marcus Williams. That means, they've made a significant investment in Marcus Williams.

That means, unless someone grossly outplays him in training camp, Marcus Williams will be the guy on the Spurs roster.

Spurs will not go after any other fucking second round pick!

FuzzyLumpkins
10-02-2007, 10:19 PM
I would really like the D-League to succeed on a level that minor league baseball enjoys.

I know a lot of people like college hoops but the NCAA signing 100 million dollar TV contracts and paying the players under $40k a year just pisses me off.