PDA

View Full Version : Cooking thread

leemajors
09-29-2007, 08:30 PM
This will probably get denounced as the gayest thread ever, but here goes:

Tonight's meal was excellent - turkey thighs marinated in beer, ginger, white onion, garlic, allspice, chili powder, rosemary, cumin and basalmic vinegar for 24 hours. stuffed some chopped bacon under the thigh skin since i was cooking with indirect heat on the grill, cooked on said grill for about an hour at 350. for a side, i grilled some potatoes, mashed them with carmelized shallots and garlic, plus some butter and brie cheese. heavenly with a stone IPA. anyone else care to share any recipes?

Zombie
09-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Why would this be gay, a man has to eat!

ashbeeigh
09-29-2007, 09:22 PM
I made Turkey Sweet-Potato Shepherd's Pie (http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=607&r=75,256,436,90,607,446,586) for my parents tonight a la Rachael Ray. It was pretty impressive.

She says 30 minutes..I say an hour and a half. But, I don't cook too often.

Mister Sinister
09-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Y'know, the most I do is pasta on the stove or a frozen pizza in the oven. But, since I eat a lot of sandwiches (for lunch, anyway), I end up getting inventive with it. I just ate one that was Volpi brand genoa salami, Chicago brand pastrami, and domestic Swiss cheese on Sara Lee Italian bread, but I made the sandwich, then put the two halves in my toaster oven. Delicious.

dirk4mvp
09-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Tonight's meal was excellent - turkey thighs marinated in beer, ginger, white onion, garlic, allspice, chili powder, rosemary, cumin and basalmic vinegar for 24 hours. stuffed some chopped bacon under the thigh skin since i was cooking with indirect heat on the grill, cooked on said grill for about an hour at 350. for a side, i grilled some potatoes, mashed them with carmelized shallots and garlic, plus some butter and brie cheese. heavenly with a stone IPA. anyone else care to share any recipes?

That sounds delicious as hell.

peewee's lovechild
09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I hate turkey.

peewee's lovechild
09-29-2007, 10:38 PM
You should try my garlic-beer marinated fajitas.

mrsmaalox
09-30-2007, 12:11 AM
You should try my garlic-beer marinated fajitas.
Okay! What time should I be there? :hungry:

peewee's lovechild
09-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Okay! What time should I be there? :hungry:

:lol

I'll have to get that ready.

anakha
09-30-2007, 03:44 AM
My mom picked this recipe up from the Tightwad Gazette a few years back, and this recipe has quickly become my friends' favorite dish for watching games at our house:

Pizza Casserole

1 pound ground beef (or equivalent combination of pizza toppings - we're partial to a combination of ground beef, pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms and peppers)
2 14-ounce jars pizza sauce
3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups Bisquick
2 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs

Cook and drain beef; Spoon into a 9-inch-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with pizza sauce and cheese. Combine Bisquick, milk, and eggs. Beat until smooth. Pour batter over casserole, covering evenly. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes. Serves 8.

Hemotivo
09-30-2007, 01:36 PM
gayest thread ever

Summers
09-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Recipe please! :)

peewee's lovechild
09-30-2007, 06:32 PM
gayest thread ever

Gayest name ever.

SequSpur
09-30-2007, 07:44 PM
post some got damn recipes up in here and you women get your asses moving.

ALVAREZ6
09-30-2007, 07:51 PM
post some got damn recipes up in here and you women get your asses moving.:hungry: :hungry: :hungry:

florige
09-30-2007, 09:14 PM

That sound great! Unfortunately all I can do is follow directions on the back of the frozen food bags. :lol I wish I knew how to grill and cook stuff without making a freakin mess.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-30-2007, 09:20 PM
post some got damn recipes up in here and you women get your asses moving.
:lol :hungry:

MrChug
10-01-2007, 01:00 AM
I hate turkey.

Can I eat the subject of your sig?

That would probably be the yummiest meal ever...

nsrammstein
10-01-2007, 01:23 AM
My mother likes to eat turkey necks

Hemotivo
10-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Gayest name ever.
:lmao

ALVAREZ6
10-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Gayest name ever.Yeah, you do have the gayest name ever.

BacktoBasics
10-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Smoked Turkey Legs

4 cups water
2/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons Emeril's Southwest Essence or other Southwest seasoning
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1 lime, sliced thinly
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 (12-ounce) beers I used Ziegen Bach but I'll be using Arrogant Bastard Ale the next time around
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons Emeril's Poultry Rub or other poultry seasoning

Multiply the amounts by three for a dozen legs so you'll need a pretty big bowl. I divided this marinade up in 3 big freezer bags with 4 legs per bag and refridgerated it for around 12 hours.

I smoked them off heat similar to pork ribs but a third of the time. Large mesquite chunks with charcoal to get the temps up to around 300 degrees. Its a slow start but after about an hour the turkey legs will brown and begin to crisp up. I go off of sight rather than a thermometer and this took about two to two and half hours. For you temp gauge/thermometor people I believe you are looking for a temp around 170-180.

This has yielded me the best Turkey legs ever. Its by far the largest marinade, ingredients wise, I've ever used but after going through all the trouble it was well worth it.

peewee's lovechild
10-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Yeah, you do have the gayest name ever.
Yeah, you don't have the gayest man crush on Ginobili ever.

I can tell because you have hot pictures of chicks on your sig . . . . oh, my mistake.

10-02-2007, 09:43 AM
One of my favorites for cooking venison, plus the mushroom sauce beats the shit out of anything that comes in a can and works with a lot of different meats.

4 servings

Mushroom Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chicken broth, cool
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
dash Tabasco
1/2 cup red and green bell pepper, diced
2 green onions, white and green part, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fresh mushrooms, thinly-sliced
salt and pepper to taste

12 2 to 3 ounce venison medallions cut from the loin or eye of round
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook while stirring until butter/flour mixture is smooth and beige in color, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cool chicken broth, a little at a time, until incorporated. Stir in wine and cream until incorporated. Add remaining sauce ingredients and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often.

Season medallions with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add medallions and sear on both sides until medium-rare. To serve, spoon sauce on to plate and arrange medallions over sauce.