PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs will bring Williams to camp

timvp
09-29-2007, 11:37 PM
Spurs will bring Williams to camp
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Second-round pick Marcus Williams will enter Spurs training camp this week the proud recipient of a new NBA contract. What happens next, the team says, will be in part up to him.

The Spurs signed Williams on Saturday, tidying up the last bit of outstanding business before the opening of camp on Tuesday. He will occupy the team's 15th and final roster spot heading into the preseason.

"He will have an opportunity to come into camp and take advantage of some of his skills," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

"We hope his hard work can pay off and make him a player who might make it in the league some day."

Terms of Williams' deal were not disclosed. Neither were the Spurs' immediate plans for him.

One thing is for certain: Williams, a 6-foot-7 swingman out of Arizona, has plenty of work to do if he aims to stick around San Antonio this season.

It's quite possible that Williams, the 33rd pick in this year's NBA draft, could be assigned to the Austin Toros, the Spurs' affiliate in the NBDL.

That would allow Williams to spend a season learning the Spurs' system. It would also provide him with ample opportunity to continue his work with assistant coach Chip Engelland, the shooting guru who spent the summer helping Williams remake his wayward jump shot.

The Spurs aren't ruling out any scenarios regarding where Williams might be a month from now. They want to see how Williams, 20, handles his first NBA training camp before deciding on his first-year fate.

"We don't want to draw any conclusions based on incomplete information," Buford said.

Blessed with a 7-foot-wingspan, Williams' defensive skills appear to be ahead of his offensive skills at this point.

He averaged 14.7 points and 5.7 rebounds per game in two seasons at Arizona, but is coming off a bit of a rough summer.

Williams averaged just 3.6 points and shot 25 percent from the field in five NBA summer league games in Las Vegas. He fared a little better at the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City, averaging 7.6 points and shooting 31.7 percent in five games there.

The Spurs, however, say they put less stock in Williams' summer-league struggles and more stock in how he has fared in a series of workouts since.

"He's been working out here since the day we drafted him," Buford said. "We saw enough improvement in his overall game to warrant giving him an opportunity."

It will now be Williams' job to make the most of it.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA093007.03C.State.BKN.Spurs.Williams.en.2df2621 .html

timvp
09-29-2007, 11:39 PM
Looks like this Jeff McDonald guy could be the Johnny Ludden replacement.

Welcome.

:smokin

P.S.

The NBDL hasn't been called the NBDL for a while now.

exstatic
09-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Looks like this Jeff McDonald guy could be the Johnny Ludden replacement.

Welcome.

:smokin

P.S.

The NBDL hasn't been called the NBDL for a while now.
Wonder if Jeff will be ripping off timvp's takes as hard as Ludden did.

timvp
09-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Wonder if Jeff will be ripping off timvp's takes as hard as Ludden did.I'm hoping he at least can get half the connections Ludden had by the time Ludden left for Yahoo. CIA Pop combined with a unconnected beat reporter could make the job of figuring out what the Spurs will do nearly impossible.

ShoogarBear
09-30-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm hoping he at least can get half the connections Ludden had by the time Ludden left for Yahoo. CIA Pop combined with a unconnected beat reporter could make the job of figuring out what the Spurs will do nearly impossible.Maybe he can convince Pop that he deserves a break today.

juncan
09-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Who's Jeff McDonald?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Jeff+McDonald+nba&btnG=Google+Search

Just found this:

Longhorns await word on Durant's future (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA032007.05D.BKC.texas.obit.35bd103.html), March 2007
NBA Finals: Spurs 4, Cavaliers 0 - Sweep of Cavaliers earns team its fourth championship (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062107.02G.BKNspurs.cavs.bcb7cb.html), June 2007
Durant will bring talent, class to Blazers or Sonics (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA062707.01C.BKNdurant.draft.3529b37.html), June 2007

Das Texan
09-30-2007, 01:44 AM
when did i miss ludden leaving the sa express news?

Darkwaters
09-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Maybe he can convince Pop that he deserves a break today.

Well, considering the guy's name is McDonald I think it would be rather appropriate for him to ask that question.

"Have you had your break today?"

Bruno
09-30-2007, 03:55 AM
Terms of Williams' deal were not disclosed.

:depressed

picnroll
09-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Need a vBookie on if he makes it to Christmas. I'm betting no. Pretty weak praise if that's the Spurs' mouthpiece.

picnroll
09-30-2007, 08:19 AM
wrong thread

Spurs Brazil
09-30-2007, 11:46 AM

Spurs Brazil
09-30-2007, 11:47 AM

McDonald could do a better job to know how longer is the contract

T Park
09-30-2007, 11:52 AM
you find someone who got a hold of the terms and you'd have a miracle.

exstatic
09-30-2007, 12:07 PM
you find someone who got a hold of the terms and you'd have a miracle.
Actually, at least one of the terms was published already, I believe. When the announcement came out that he was signed, I think they said it was one year, with a team option for the second.

T Park
09-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Miracle that this guy would have it I should say.