PDA

View Full Version : Mariners sign Sexson and Beltre!

tlongII
12-16-2004, 05:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947751

Things are off to a good start!

Duff McCartney
12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
This guy on ESPN is ripping Beltre...saying he is a one year flash in the pan. Saying that Seattle is probably gonna be in trouble.

FromWayDowntown
12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm curious why the Mariners paid Sexson 4 yrs/$50, while the Red Sox got away with shelling out only 4 yrs/$40 for Renteria. Renteria is a much better player, and in a cavernous park like Safeco, I'd rather have a gold glove defender who can play small ball while providing occasional power than a lumbering and oft-injured windmill like Sexson.

Beltre is a bargain, though, assuming he can come anywhere close to the numbers he put up in 2004.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-17-2004, 11:28 AM
FWD, a number of people over at InsideThePark.com are questioning the Sexson deal.

Seems as if Bavasi's got a thing for Sexson and was going to get him for whatever it took. It's an overpay, for sure.

The M's have some good prospects at the infield - but almost none at 1B, so that's another reason why Bavasi felt he had to go FA to get one.

Also, the outfield has a few prospects - and a new starter in Jeremy Reed - so that was another reason to not address that.

Signing Beltre was a tough blow for the prospects like Greg Dobbs, Justin Leone, Jose Lopez and Hunter Brown.

tlongII
12-17-2004, 12:17 PM
I'm curious why the Mariners paid Sexson 4 yrs/$50, while the Red Sox got away with shelling out only 4 yrs/$40 for Renteria. Renteria is a much better player, and in a cavernous park like Safeco, I'd rather have a gold glove defender who can play small ball while providing occasional power than a lumbering and oft-injured windmill like Sexson.

Beltre is a bargain, though, assuming he can come anywhere close to the numbers he put up in 2004.

The Mariners will play Jose Lopez at SS. He's a great prospect so they don't need Renteria. They are probably over-paying Sexson, but he fills a need at 1B. If they can add a pitcher now they will be set and will challenge for the divison title.

FromWayDowntown
12-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I guess, if it were me, I'd take Renteria at $40 M, trade Lopez to acquire a 1B or some pitching. I'm not saying they haven't done well, just that the moves are curious, given their park and needs.

Even with these acquisitions, the M's would seem to have a ways to go to catch Anaheim. That Angels team looks really salty on paper in December.