PDA

View Full Version : Braves get Tim Hudson

atlfan25
12-16-2004, 06:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947892

Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Tim Hudson was traded from the Oakland Athletics to Atlanta, a major deal Thursday that further bolstered the Braves' revamped rotation.

With Los Angeles, Boston and the New York Yankees rumored to be pursuing Hudson, the Braves swooped in and got the Oakland ace for outfielder Charles Thomas and pitchers Juan Cruz and Dan Meyer.

Tim Hudson
Starting Pitcher
Oakland Athletics

2004 SEASON STATISTICS
GM W L Sv K ERA
27 12 6 0 103 3.53

It was Atlanta's second big trade in a week. Last Saturday, the Braves acquired All-Star closer Dan Kolb from Milwaukee -- a move that allowed them to move John Smoltz back into the rotation.

"One of our goals going into the offseason was to strengthen our pitching staff," Braves general manager John Schuerholz said. "We have certainly made a major improvement."

Hudson joins a team that has won 13 straight division titles.

The 29-year-old Hudson posted 81 wins from 2000-04, tied for the most in the AL over that span. He is 92-39 with a 3.30 ERA lifetime.

Hudson was 12-6 with a 3.53 ERA in 27 starts this season. He made the All-Star team for the second time but did not pitch because of a strained left side that put him on the disabled list for a month.

Thomas made his major-league debut last season and batted .288 with seven homers and 31 RBI. Cruz was 6-2 with a 2.75 ERA in 50 relief outings. Meyer was 0-0 in two games with Braves after going 9-6 with a 2.49 ERA at Double-A Greenville and Triple-A Richmond.
:hat

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole...

Hudson, Hudson!

Fucking Atlanta...making the moves we need to! Smoltz locked up and another great pitcher.

Damn, I love baseball.

Also, for my adopted team...

http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/mlb/2004/1216/photo/smh_msfas_ft.jpg

atlfan25
12-17-2004, 03:51 AM
this now gives the braves one of the best starting rotations and definately the best 1-2 punch. smoltz and hudson. thats money

T Park
12-17-2004, 07:33 AM
A pitcher thats choked in the playoffs before, that the Cardinals wish they had.

Sigh.

Sucks to be a Cardinals fan this winter.

tlongII
12-17-2004, 09:48 AM
I think it's questionable how Smoltz will do. He hasn't been a starting pitcher in quite some time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-17-2004, 10:02 AM
I think it's questionable how Smoltz will do. He hasn't been a starting pitcher in quite some time.

It is, but it's sure going to be interesting to find out.

Spurminator
12-17-2004, 03:20 PM
I've got a question for anyone who collects baseball memorabilia...

Did the value of my baseball signed by Barry Zito, Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder just go up or down?

Man, I was hoping they'd win a World Series together before they broke up.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Probably down, but if you sell it in the Oakland market - you can probably command more.

What were you looking at?

Duff McCartney
12-17-2004, 05:17 PM
Did the value of my baseball signed by Barry Zito, Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder just go up or down?

Man, I was hoping they'd win a World Series together before they broke up.

Looks like that lineup would have probably been the greatest rotation if they would have kept Tejada.

Cheap ass Oakland....they could have been champions.

Spurminator
12-18-2004, 02:28 AM
I wasn't planning on selling it any time soon... just curious aboiut these things.