View Full Version : Spurs : “Tougher Than the Rest” by Bill Woten

biba
10-01-2007, 01:11 AM
10 key storylines as NBA camps open
By Bill Woten
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 8:51 p.m. ET Sept. 30, 2007

“Tougher Than the Rest”

With little fanfare, the San Antonio Spurs just do what they do: win. Following that theme, the Spurs had an unremarkable off-season. While consensus is that trading Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets was a mistake, San Antonio quietly became more athletic with the additions of Brazilian big man Tiago Splitter, Marcus Williams and Ime Udoka.

Regardless, it’s hard to argue with the NBA champions three of the past five years (2003, 2005, 2007).

Coach Gregg Popovich is the league’s best because when things get tough — injuries, distractions, loss of home court advantage, etc. — his team gets tougher, sticking together and finding a way. That foundation, of course, is poured and solidified in October when roles are defined and defense is preached.

Remember this, only two things kept the Spurs from five titles in a row: Derek Fisher’s miracle buzzer-beater in ’04 and Manu Ginobili’s lapse-in-judgment foul in ’06. Beating them 2008 might require a similar unexpected moment.

mystargtr34
10-01-2007, 02:34 AM
I dont want to buy into the whole whisker from 5 titles in a row stuff. Teams that are ment to win, win, simple as that.

Xylus
10-01-2007, 02:43 AM
I dont want to buy into the whole whisker from 5 titles in a row stuff. Teams that are ment to win, win, simple as that.
It's fun to talk about, but you're right...if a team didn't win, they didn't win. The Spurs weren't at an unfair disadvantage when Manu fouled Dirk, or when Fisher hit that shot. Furthermore, both of those actions took place in the earlier rounds of the playoffs, not in the Finals. Had they won those series, there's no guarantee they would have won it all.

The Suns might have won the series last year if Amare hadn't stepped off the bench, but the Spurs still might have won Game 7. Even if we would have been guaranteed that series, the Jazz would have been a tough matchup in the next round.

As for the article, the Spurs are definitely the toughest and most strong-minded team in the NBA. I only wish D'Antoni was savvy enough to instill that same attitude into the Suns.

T Park
10-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Had they won those series, there's no guarantee they would have won it all.

They wouldn't have beaten a depleted Phoenix team in the third round and the Miami Heat in the Finals?

:lol

oooook

04 I agree, but 06 was a championship given away.

mystargtr34
10-01-2007, 03:05 AM
They wouldn't have beaten a depleted Phoenix team in the third round and the Miami Heat in the Finals?

:lol

oooook

04 I agree, but 06 was a championship given away.

Maybe, maybe not. I mainly say it because it kills me to think what it would be like to have won 5 straight knowing we were 'close'. But at the end of the day, Dirk made a great play, and they beat us in overtime. Perhaps Dallas would have felt the same way if that last play went down differently, they had a 20+ point lead at the end of the third.

Besides, we couldnt get it done in overtime so maybe that should tell us something.

T Park
10-01-2007, 03:20 AM
Well you can try and be "neutral" and "objective" all you want.

Fact is, the Spurs if they win that game, win the championship in 06.

No questions asked.

Xylus
10-01-2007, 03:27 AM

No questions asked.
1. Probably, but never guaranteed. You're extremely delusional if you think any series in sports is a 100% lock. That's why they play the games, instead of prematurely handing a team the trophy.

2. Fact is, the Spurs didn't win that game. So who's to say the Heat (who beat the team that beat your's) couldn't beat the Spurs in 7 games?

saporvida
10-01-2007, 03:29 AM

No questions asked.

that would had been tight...

both '04 and '06 left my heart aching. i felt dead inside especially moreso after '04. when i saw duncan go up and make that crazy ass sideways shot i was hysterical and the here comes fisher. damn you fisher. as for '06 i think manu should be congratulated because without his 3 at the end we didn't stand a chance. i think manu was just trying to give the mavs a taste of what it's like to be a real champion. champions are clutch = manu, and losers are not. losers choke away what is given to them = mavs and here comes the champion which takes what is earned and hard worked for = manu. get it straight!

anakha
10-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Probably, but never likely. You're extremely delusional if you think any series in sports is a 100% lock. That's why they play the games, instead of prematurely handing a team the trophy.

Bingo.

polandprzem
10-01-2007, 06:12 AM
I hate the if's

maxpower
10-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Bingo.

i second that.

Cry Havoc
10-01-2007, 11:18 AM
1. Probably, but never guaranteed. You're extremely delusional if you think any series in sports is a 100% lock. That's why they play the games, instead of prematurely handing a team the trophy.

2. Fact is, the Spurs didn't win that game. So who's to say the Heat (who beat the team that beat your's) couldn't beat the Spurs in 7 games?

Just had a thought.

How AWESOME would a series it have been to see the primed Pistons of '04 against the Spurs in the finals? If the '05 series was that good...

We could have seen two back-to-back 7 game Finals series instead of that horrible Lakers team breaking down after pushing themselves too hard against the Spurs.

FromWayDowntown
10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
To get back to the original point, I don't think that anyone can question the Spurs mental and physical toughness any more. Any questions about the Spurs competitiveness and their mental toughness were resolved in my mind against Dallas in 2006, when they could have rolled over in Game 5 or Game 6 (or even Game 7) but fought back ferociously against a very, very good basketball team. I think they still have some soft moments on occasion, but in the main, they're as tough as it comes in the NBA right now.

Walter Craparita
10-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Eat lightning, crap thunder...pretty much.

Dirk Nowitzki
10-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Just had a thought.

How AWESOME would a series it have been to see the primed Pistons of '04 against the Spurs in the finals? If the '05 series was that good...

We could have seen two back-to-back 7 game Finals series instead of that horrible Lakers team breaking down after pushing themselves too hard against the Spurs.

If the Spurs had kept Jax/Speedy they would have RAPED the living fuck out that Lakers team worse than they did in 2003. It would have been a sweep or at very most a non-competitive 5 game series. Lack of a shooter with balls is what lost the Spurs that series with LA. That series with the Pistons would have beeg great, but my money would still have gone to the Spurs. Even though nothing is a lock, once the Spurs make the finals...they get the job done. I dont mind the what if games from time to time.

SenorSpur
10-01-2007, 11:57 AM
To get back to the original point, I don't think that anyone can question the Spurs mental and physical toughness any more. Any questions about the Spurs competitiveness and their mental toughness were resolved in my mind against Dallas in 2006, when they could have rolled over in Game 5 or Game 6 (or even Game 7) but fought back ferociously against a very, very good basketball team. I think they still have some soft moments on occasion, but in the main, they're as tough as it comes in the NBA right now.

It was a truly awesome comeback to force a Game #7. So much so, that I simply knew they couldn't be denied. How delicious would it have been if the Spurs would have sealed that Game #7 victory? It would have once again created yet another mental roadblock for them and reinforced the hatred that has been building in this rivalry. Also, we wouldn't have been talking about the Spurs never having repeated as NBA Champions.

Instead, that 2006 WCSF series-clinching loss provided the Mavs all the confidence and belief that they CAN play with and BEAT the Spurs. Some here in Mavs land, simply poo-poo away the last season's first round loss to the Warriors as an aberration. Their reasoning is, as they put it, "our team was built to beat the Spurs - not the Warriors."

Unless they suffer another early playoff collapse, the Spurs will need to again slay the Mavs dragon this spring. I'm confident they will.

Dirk Nowitzki
10-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Even if we lose this time around, I still would want a Spurs/Mavs series again. I know the Mavs have their share of concerns mentally, but IMO I feel at this moment they are still the Spurs biggest threat to a 5th title. I am just being honest and not being a homer on this one. Plus I would love to see some serious hatred and intensity back.

FromWayDowntown
10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
If the Spurs had kept Jax/Speedy they would have RAPED the living fuck out that Lakers team worse than they did in 2003. It would have been a sweep or at very most a non-competitive 5 game series. Lack of a shooter with balls is what lost the Spurs that series with LA. That series with the Pistons would have beeg great, but my money would still have gone to the Spurs. Even though nothing is a lock, once the Spurs make the finals...they get the job done. I dont mind the what if games from time to time.

Probably true -- but the problem was that the Spurs had turned Jax and Speedy into Hedo Turkoglu (who makes Mike D'Antoni seem like a man of epic mental toughness) and Charlie Ward/Jason Hart.

SenorSpur
10-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Even if we lose this time around, I still would want a Spurs/Mavs series again. I know the Mavs have their share of concerns mentally, but IMO I feel at this moment they are still the Spurs biggest threat to a 5th title. I am just being honest and not being a homer on this one. Plus I would love to see some serious hatred and intensity back.

As much as hype as Phoenix receives annually, they've not been nearly as big of a threat to the Spurs as the Mavs. The Mavs have literally built their entire team and have adopted the same style and philosophy solely to mirror the Spurs.

So, I would agree with you that the Mavs should be considered our biggest threat to a 5th title.

urunobili
10-01-2007, 01:53 PM
don't waste your time guys... the Rockets will get rid of the Mavs in the Playoffs.. that's the reason why scola is in that team.... book it...

ShoogarBear
10-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Stop, you guys are killing me.

When Manu hit that three in game 7, I thought the championship was won. :depressed

Vingianx
10-02-2007, 01:27 AM

1. Tim Duncan
2. Tony Parker

This year is probably going to be the same as last, the winner of a spurs/suns/mavs series whichever wins it, is probably most likely to take it all in June.

Yes, I'm giving some credit to the Mavericks barring meltdowns...

slayermin
10-02-2007, 01:50 AM
Probably true -- but the problem was that the Spurs had turned Jax and Speedy into Hedo Turkoglu (who makes Mike D'Antoni seem like a man of epic mental toughness) and Charlie Ward/Jason Hart.

If we had 2006-2007 Tony Parker, we would have beaten the Lakers in '04. TP played like a Finals MVP in the first two games against the Lakers. But couldn't keep it up four games in a row like he did against the Cavs last June.

I guess we were all pretty tough on Hedo because we had some high expectations of him after what he did in the regular season. If you guys recall, Hedo played great when he was moved into the starting lineup. In hindsight, we made the right choice bringing in Barry and Finley. But if we kept him, he would be an invaluable asset against the Mavs and Suns.

That whole '04 season stunk to high hell, imo. The only thing that made it palatable was the Pistons taking the championship.