PDA

View Full Version : Manu or Parker. Who do you keep?

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Gun to your head. You only get to keep one. Who do you keep?

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-16-2004, 10:48 PM
The ugly one!

/Family Guy

2pac
12-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Manu - we done got beno

missmyzte
12-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Tony is cuter, definitely him (cute accent too). :)

Guru of Nothing
12-16-2004, 10:57 PM
I vote we keep Lebron James.

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Tony is cuter, definitely him (cute accent too). :)

Cute doesn't win championships princess. Besides, he's a damn frenchie. He'd surrender at the first sign of trouble.

ducks
12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
neither since spurs have beno and brown

1Parker1
12-16-2004, 11:05 PM
LOL. I wholeheartedly agree with you, missmyzte ! :)

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Some of you "guys" don't seem to have the nads to answer.

Like I said. Gun to your head. You have to choose. Don't give us the weenieboy copout.

ZStomp
12-16-2004, 11:12 PM
I say Parker. And I'm a bigger Manu fan. But I think Parker is more important to the Spurs team than Manu is........

CHAMPS AGAIN
12-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Let you know in 5 years what a dumb thread

missmyzte
12-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Cute doesn't win championships princess.

Take a look what is listed under my name next to "Team"

:eyebrows

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Take a look what is listed under my name next to "Team"

:eyebrows

Ah. A Laker fan. No wonder you prefer Parker. :angel

Dex
12-16-2004, 11:19 PM
She's a fo0king fLaker!

If it were up to her, we'd still be toying around with Trillion Carter and moRon Mercer. :lol

SuperManu!!!
12-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Manu all the way in!

Spurgal
12-16-2004, 11:29 PM
It's not about looks... It's about the way they play. So, I go for Manu...

LuvBones
12-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Keep Manu. Talent and court vision like that can't be replaced.

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:30 PM
Let you know in 5 years what a dumb thread

Message boards are for opinions and discussion. I'm generating discussion. Thanks for the that incredible insight. :rolleyes

timvp
12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
Besides, he's a damn frenchie. He'd surrender at the first sign of trouble.

We get it, you don't like him because he's French. Besides being a pathetic take, you are going overboard on this one topic. Bring a damn other take or stick all your Parker hate in one thread.

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Keep Manu. Talent and court vision like that can't be replaced.

I agree.

timvp
12-16-2004, 11:36 PM
We get it, you don't like him because he's French. Besides being a pathetic take, you are going overboard on this one topic. Bring a damn other take or stick all your Parker hate in one thread.

Repeat.

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:39 PM

I'm not a biggot. The Frenchie thing was a joke. Get over it already.

TMTTRIO
12-16-2004, 11:40 PM
I'd keep Manu because he does everything on court. If one aspect of his game isn't going well he does all the other things that will change the game around. He also puts out 100% effort and will do things such as dive for balls even if there's a chance that he'll get hurt. I really think he has the potential to do as well as he did in the olympics. On the other hand, Parker has a more important role on the team but I'd still go with Manu.

Guru of Nothing
12-16-2004, 11:43 PM

Like I said. Gun to your head. You have to choose. Don't give us the weenieboy copout.

I've got nads, but I don't use them for posting on Internet message boards.

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:44 PM
Even though I'm one of the biggest Manu fans around I would have to go with Parker. Parker has a more important role with the Spurs. Even though Pop likes Manu, I don't think he really knows how to use him sometimes

Parker has a more important role but Manu contributes more.

timvp
12-16-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm not a biggot. The Frenchie thing was a joke. Get over it already.

If it's a joke then drop the subject. You've been a self described Parker hater for years. It's old.

Freshen up.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-16-2004, 11:47 PM

I think this would be as good a time as any to say two words.

Fark. You.

What's next?

Which poster would you like to have over for Thanksgiving dinner? Walton or Ghost Writer?

Who do you want shooting a last second three pointer? Rasho or Massenburg?

Which Ellis is better? Kori or LJ?

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:48 PM
If it's a joke then drop the subject. You've been a self described Parker hater for years. It's old.

Freshen up.

I've said it a thousand times. I'll repeat it slowly for you. I.........DON'T........HATE.........PARKER. I never said that. I've always maintained that he's way overrated by most Spurs fans. But that seems to be changing.

p.s. If you don't like my takes on Parker, don't open up the thread. Better yet, put me on your ignore list. You won't be hurting my feelings one bit.

timvp
12-16-2004, 11:52 PM
The only topic you ever talk about is Parker. Just move on to something else. We get it ... you don't like Parker for whatever reason.

Show that you are more than just a one trick pony.

IceColdBrewski
12-16-2004, 11:54 PM
I think this would be as good a time as any to say two words.

Fark. You. Kori or LJ?

I love you too.

Seriously though. Methinks it's time for you (and a few others) to take a break from the message boards for a while. You're takin this a little too seriously. I'm just bustin balls. It's all in good fun.

MI21
12-17-2004, 01:29 AM
Cool thread.

fonzy16
12-17-2004, 06:50 AM
Manu - more fun to watch and he gives a felling wants to win everything&everywhere.

SlovenianGuy
12-17-2004, 07:07 AM
Q: Manu or Parker. Who do you keep?
A: I'd get rid of IceColdBrewski first.

T Park
12-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Id keep both.

Bite me if you dont like it.

Parker > Beno

Autumnleaf
12-17-2004, 07:12 AM

Let me put your question in this way:
Manu or Parker?
Keep Parker? so who can replace Manu? Devin? oh no. cause Devin <<<<<<<Manu
Keep Manu? so who can replace Parker? Beno? oh yes, cause Beno>>>>>>>Parker :fro This is what you want to say :smokin
and I will have to say when I have the nads to say that I will choose Parker and I love Parker, you have none of them to say that you hate Parker, or even answer the very question you asked! You are just Pathetic!
and sure i will ignore you from now on. You just make it impossible to understand you!

Jimcs50
12-17-2004, 09:34 AM
This question is ludicrous...they are both signed for yrs to come, we can keep both and Pop will....unless Beno becomes so damn good that we can trade Tony in the next 2 yrs for a quality center or backup 4.( I wish)

juncan
12-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Dont like this thread

TP

smeagol
12-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Who brought this tread from SR?

Can somebody take it back . . . where it really belongs . . .

If it stays here too long it will attract Alamo Girl and MomBear . . . Are we sure we want that?

boutons
12-17-2004, 09:53 AM
I like Manu's hair now, wild and wooly like his play, so I'd keep him, rilly tight. I'd invite him to my slumber parties. Sure, Tony's cute, too, but, Manu's such a Latin doll. Manu can stick his "gun" to my head anytime. yummy!

xxx and lotsa hugs,
Britni

Athenea
12-17-2004, 10:00 AM
Who brought this tread from SR?

Can somebody take it back . . . where it really belongs . . .

If it stays here too long it will attract Alamo Girl and MomBear . . . Are we sure we want that?
HEY!
STAY AWAY FROM MOM!!!

(AG on the other hand...)

spursfaninla
12-17-2004, 10:56 AM
I like Manu's hair now, wild and wooly like his play, so I'd keep him, rilly tight. I'd invite him to my slumber parties. Sure, Tony's cute, too, but, Manu's such a Latin doll. Manu can stick his "gun" to my head anytime. yummy!

xxx and lotsa hugs,
Britni

If there was any doubt as to the gender of this poster, this is none now.

Plus, I don't know if I can read these messages in my second grade classroom anymore; this would DEFINITELY tramatize my students. :oops

wildbill2u
12-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Like Sophie's Choice--which one of your children would you save from death? A sadist's question that is designed to send you to the mental ward.

boutons
12-17-2004, 03:46 PM
"I don't know if I can read these messages in my second grade classroom anymore"

Does your Mama know her second grader is following an adult forum?

If you get past second grade, stay from any courses requiring reading comprehension or anything to do with literary studies, fiction, imagination, or humor.

T Park
12-17-2004, 04:04 PM
adult forum

I wouldnt say this forum is adult.

Id say its PG 13.

BronxCowboy
12-17-2004, 05:48 PM
I wouldnt say this forum is adult.

Id say its PG 13.

Fuck yeah. Tell the bitch. :smokin

ALVAREZ6
12-17-2004, 06:07 PM
manu

spursfaninla
12-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Whoa, hold it there young lady.

I don't know why you took such offense to a rather tongue-in-cheek remark, but simmer down.

Plus you were quite straightforward in your inuendo, so I don't know why you think you need to (try) to show off it was justified with some kind of "depth" or "intelligence."

You may very well be sophisticated and even an intellectual, but trying to justify that post don't fly, missy.

Hey, its not like Marcus has a clean mouth, either. I like to read when my students go to recess, but if I leave it on when they come in, and they see "manu can hold his gun to my head anytime", or any of Marcus's filth, I'm fired.

Screw its, its worth it.

"I don't know if I can read these messages in my second grade classroom anymore"

Does your Mama know her second grader is following an adult forum?

If you get past second grade, stay from any courses requiring reading comprehension or anything to do with literary studies, fiction, imagination, or humor.
:smokin

angel_luv
12-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Who are u saying is the ugly one, Johnny? That statement would mean two totally different things to People magazine and I.

I vote Ginobili.
I like Tony, really I do. The difference is that to me Tony is a good guy but Gino is a keeper.

ShoogarBear
12-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Pretty funny. Parker is overrated? What does that make Manu then?

I like them both, but both are overrated by Spur fans, who think they should be All-Stars despite their extreme inconsistencies.

The painful and boring truth is that as long as you have Tim Duncan, you're a championship contender. Everyone else is just a complimentary piece who could be exchanged for any one of 10-15 other players in the league.

Nikos
12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
The painful and boring truth is that as long as you have Tim Duncan, you're a championship contender. Everyone else is just a complimentary piece who could be exchanged for any one of 10-15 other players in the league.

Is Duncan really that good? Would his presense and 4 marginal players alone make a team championship contenders? Or are you saying Duncan and any all star and combo of three other marginal players are just as good as this squad, or better by default?

Accomplishments aside, is he really any better than Kevin Garnett should they face in the playoffs? Considering the fact that Garnett has a more consistent supporting cast, shouldn't they be the clear cut favorites along with Phoenix? And maybe Seattle despite their potential to cool off soon?

ALVAREZ6
12-19-2004, 12:15 PM

I like them both, but both are overrated by Spur fans, who think they should be All-Stars despite their extreme inconsistencies.

They're not overrated!

I guess winning the Gold Medal last summer is no proof...
after last summer, Manu is overrated?

smeagol
12-19-2004, 03:21 PM

Shoog, you might wanna rethink that statement.

Manu and Parker are not All-stars, but they are borderline All stars (i.e. top 10 or 12 in their positions).

ShoogarBear
12-19-2004, 03:48 PM
I guess winning the Gold Medal last summer is no proof... after last summer, Manu is overrated?

Ah, I see people are getting back from Sunday services at the Church of Manu.

Based on the Olympics, Manu > LeBron and Pau Gasol > Duncan (funny how no one mentions that second one).

Shoog, you might wanna rethink that statement.

Manu and Parker are not All-stars, but they are borderline All stars (i.e. top 10 or 12 in their positions).

I said they could be "exchanged for any one of 10-15 other players in the league". So what is there to rethink, based on your statement?

Is Duncan really that good? Would his presense and 4 marginal players alone make a team championship contenders? Or are you saying Duncan and any all star and combo of three other marginal players are just as good as this squad, or better by default?

I didn't say any of that. What I said was that you could replace Parker and/or Manu with several other people without any appreciable dropoff (and in some cases, with improvement).

The only person whom you could even remotely think about replacing Duncan with is KG.

smeagol
12-19-2004, 04:02 PM
I said they could be "exchanged for any one of 10-15 other players in the league". So what is there to rethink, based on your statement?
You implied "any 10-15 players in the league" because they are both (TP and Manu) overrated (according to you). Name those 10-15 players (i.e 7-8 PGs and 7-8 SGs) that can replace them so easily. I can bet your list will be full of all-stars or borderline all star players.

You cannot replace Tony and Manu with any PG or SG and expect the Spurs to be contenders just because they have TD in their ranks.

Nikos
12-19-2004, 04:05 PM
I didn't say any of that. What I said was that you could replace Parker and/or Manu with several other people without any appreciable dropoff (and in some cases, with improvement).

Obviously. You could replace some all stars with borderline all stars and you might not see a drop off either. Thats not the issue though. Many people at best are saying that Manu and Tp deserve all-star consideration. Whoever says Manu is > Kobe or whatever is obviously someone not even worth arguing over.

The whole point of the olympics is to show that Manu is capable of being an all star calibur player on his best days. He has a good overall game and has leadership qualities. He is still inconsistent yes, but so are several players. Even some players who are considered better, and are much more consistent scorers are also "extremely inconsistent".

I don't think they are all stars right now, but I don't see the point in arguing with Manu worshippers who only want to see him succeed.

Personally I want TP and Manu to succeed AT THE SAME time. I would like to see some offensive consistency from the team itself as well. But by reading your post, you almost made it sound like any mediocre scorer or player can replace our backcourt and the team would still be considered a title contender. I am not sure agree with that. Duncan is good, but not THAT good to take 4 mediocre players and win a title.

Now either Duncan is close to MJ level, or Manu and TP are at least slightly above average starters at their positions.

Which do you think it is?

ShoogarBear
12-19-2004, 04:55 PM
You implied "any 10-15 players in the league" because they are both (TP and Manu) overrated (according to you). Name those 10-15 players (i.e 7-8 PGs and 7-8 SFs) that can replace them so easily. I can bet your list will be full of all-stars or borderline all star players. You cannot replace Tony and Manu with any PG or SF and expect the Spurs to be contenders just because they have TD in their ranks.

Maybe this is a language translation problem, but I didn't say you could replace them with any player. "Any one of 10-15" implies that they are therefore among the top 10-15.

Anyway, you wanted a list, here's a list. It's actually well over 20 names. Some of these guys are clearly better than TP and Manu, some are not. Some might not be better fits. The point is that neither one is so irreplacable a talent that if one of these guys were swapped out, the Spurs would lose little, if anything, on the whole. (Of course it doesn't matter that I just wrote that, some numbnuts will now post "you think Francis is better than TP!")

Iverson, Pierce, Nash, Francis, Redd, Allen, Bibby, Bryant, JRich, QRich, Cassell, Sprewell, Hamilton, Crawford, Hinrich, LeBron, Marbury, Wade, Jefferson, Hill, Marion, Joe Johnson, McGrady.

Obviously. You could replace some all stars with borderline all stars and you might not see a drop off either. Thats not the issue though. Many people at best are saying that Manu and Tp deserve all-star consideration. Whoever says Manu is > Kobe or whatever is obviously someone not even worth arguing over.

But that's exactly the point. People are saying Manu would be the MVP of the All-Star game.

I don't think they are all stars right now, but I don't see the point in arguing with Manu worshippers who only want to see him succeed.

Sorry, but I can't respect people who have no degree of objectivity when it comes to their favorite team or players. Even when it's my team.

Personally I want TP and Manu to succeed AT THE SAME time. I would like to see some offensive consistency from the team itself as well. But by reading your post, you almost made it sound like any mediocre scorer or player can replace our backcourt and the team would still be considered a title contender. I am not sure agree with that. Duncan is good, but not THAT good to take 4 mediocre players and win a title.

No, I didn't. You fall into the same trap as the Manu worshipers. Because I didn't say he's the greatest player in the history of the planet, then I must have said he's mediocre. Find the word mediocre, or even the implication, in anything I wrote.

Now either Duncan is close to MJ level, or Manu and TP are at least slightly above average starters at their positions.

Which do you think it is?

This one's easy. When Duncan retires, he will be considered among the top 2-3 PFs and the top 10 players of all time. He's not MJ, but he's at the next level down.

ALVAREZ6
12-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Iverson, Pierce, Nash, Francis, Redd, Allen, Bibby, Bryant, JRich, QRich, Cassell, Sprewell, Hamilton, Crawford, Hinrich, LeBron, Marbury, Wade, Jefferson, Hill, Marion, Joe Johnson, McGrady.

JRich, try again, hes pure dunk.
QRich, nope sorry.
Sprewell, no
Crawford, questionable
Hinrich, no sorry
Jefferson, just dunks
Johnson, hmmmm..

might want to re-consider.
Did you watch the Olympics this summer?

Nikos
12-19-2004, 05:05 PM

The extremely inconsistent part, and the part where you say if you have Tim Duncan you are a championship contender.

Obviously Duncan is one of the best frontline players in the league to have leading to a championship, but to me I look at that as if, any solid backcourt player in this league can come in and it would not make a difference as far as the Spurs title hopes.

Just because a few homers overrate and worship him does not mean they are extremely inconsistent or not worthy of even being 'considered' for an all star game.

smeagol
12-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Maybe this is a language translation problem, but I didn't say you could replace them with any player. "Any one of 10-15" implies that they are therefore among the top 10-15.
No language translation problem here. You have defined you position a little better and I believe we are on the same page. I too believe Manu and TP are top 15 players in their positions. Actually, my assesment is Manu top 10, TP top 7.

Anyway, you wanted a list, here's a list. It's actually well over 20 names. Some of these guys are clearly better than TP and Manu, some are not. Some might not be better fits. The point is that neither one is so irreplacable a talent that if one of these guys were swapped out, the Spurs would lose little, if anything, on the whole. (Of course it doesn't matter that I just wrote that, some numbnuts will now post "you think Francis is better than TP!")

As with any list, you can easily argue for or against some of those names. I would rather have Manu or TP than Francis, JRich, Sprewell, Crawford, Hienrich, Jefferson and Joe Joehnson. But thats just me.

And it pretty obvious Manu is not irreplaceable.

But that's exactly the point. People are saying Manu would be the MVP of the All-Star game.
Who said that? LINK please.

Because I didn't say he's the greatest player in the history of the planet, then I must have said he's mediocre. Find the word mediocre, or even the implication, in anything I wrote.
When you say . . .

Everyone else is just a complimentary piece . . .

. . . that to me implies you consider TP and MG are your average, run of the mill player.

Then you went on saying ". . . could be replaced with for any one of 10-15 other players in the league", which in itself is not a very clear statement until you specify to which players you were referring.

Finally, at my humble request, you came up with a list which includes: Kobe, TMac, AI, Allen, Bibby, Marbury, Cassell, Nash, Wade, Hill, Marion, Redd, King James, all of whom have been All Stars or will be All Stars in the near future. The rest of the guys in your list are, IMO, ARE questionable.

So bottom line: Manu and TP can only be replaced by the best players in the league. That hardly makes them "complementary" players.

whottt
12-19-2004, 07:11 PM
Manu...Manu equals a better chance to win right here and now...in Duncan's prime, and Manu's as well.

Parker's got another 6 years before he hits his prime, who knows what he will be like in 6 years if he is this good now?

If I was building a team from scratch and had to pick one, I'd probably pick Parker because his best years are still so far ahead of him...

But if I had to choose at this moment and especially on a team with Tim Duncan, I go with Manu in a landslide.

And I disagree that you can build a title contender just by throwing random players around Duncan...

In fact, you can't even do that around Duncan and Robinson....it takes a team to win a title, if not necessarily a team of super stars, and there is no such thing as a one man team...

And if you disagree with this then let's bring Smitty, AJ and Ferry back and see how we do...

Edit: And it's time to stop minimizing Manu's achievements in international ball as well as his contributions to this team...

Winning titles seems to follow Manu around...in any league, under any rules(can't say that about Pop and Duncan *cough*)...it's not a fluke...and I think most coaches in the NBA realize this as well.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Who are u saying is the ugly one, Johnny?

It's a quote from an episode of "Family Guy".

Peter and Brian are walking down the sidewalk and have this exchange (from memory, so it may not be verbatim).

Peter: Okay, here's another riddle. A crazed murderer breaks into your house and tells you that only one of your children can live. Which one do you choose?

Brian: That, that's not a riddle. That's just sad.

Peter: Wrong! The ugly one!

TMTTRIO
12-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Edit: And it's time to stop minimizing Manu's achievements in international ball as well as his contributions to this team...

Winning titles seems to follow Manu around...in any league, under any rules(can't say that about Pop and Duncan *cough*)...it's not a fluke...and I think most coaches in the NBA realize this as well.

OK, I've tried to stay out of this but I agree. Almost every team he's been with has won a championship. I also found this old article and it is interesting what Pop says about it

Popovich, a U.S. assistant coach, and Duncan felt a different set of bumps in Athens. But as time passed, Popovich began to see why the United States not winning the gold medal wasn't all bad for his locker room.

"Everybody says the NBA is different and all that," Popovich said. "Well, I was there (in Athens), and that is an emotional, heartfelt, big-time competition. Anybody who says less is just copping out."

The way Popovich saw it, Ginobili led Argentina the way great players lead NBA teams.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA110404.1C.COLharvey.2134494a.html

desflood
12-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Ginobli

airjer15
12-20-2004, 11:54 AM
bye Tony

nzkickass
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I would keep Manu.

Rummpd
12-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Beno + Manu not a big drop off so far from Parker + Manu = so logic says take Manu/Brown/Beno and get another big + Barry going and Spurs would be fine.

Not to say I don't like Parker but his inconsistency and his relatively poor FT shooting (how many great PG are not good to great FTs) are troubling for all his talent.

Finally, Manu has done it on the worlds biggest stage for Gold and has a killer attitude only found in a few NBA players = almost unreplicable.

One also wonders if either Parker (especially) or Manu with their bony frames will hold up long-term - can't they hit a few weights in the off season?

MadDoc