PDA

View Full Version : wow, no TV for Nebraska/Okie State

K-State Spur
10-01-2007, 02:56 PM
likely got bumped because BOTH the Cats and Buffs won on saturday - making that game the evening ESPN telecast.

can i get some people in those yards to start agree with me that our television contracts sucks big time?

MajorMike
10-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Can you explain our tv contract to me?

K-State Spur
10-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Up to 3 games televised per week. 1 on ABC regional, 1 on FSN national, and 1 on ESPN national or Versus. (That's the gist of it, occasionally a little mixing and matching occurs).

There is also a provision (with a few exceptions) of the exclusive rights window, which prevents any game from being televised during a time slot when another game is on TV.

Ultimately, this results in slightly less than half of the games involving Big 12 teams of being televised this year. Compare that the SEC, Big 10, and ACC where all but a handful of games will be televised this season.

The big problem is that exclusive rights window. It does bring in more money to the teams involved, but prevents us from adding any more TV partners. Unfortunately, to change the TV deal, a vote of 9 teams required. But since Texas, OU, Nebraska, and A&M can bank on being on TV most weekends (or every weekend in the case of UT and OU), they'd rather maintain the status quo and cash the bigger checks.

Some people may think I'm just shouting into the wind right now, but there is a very good chance that this will be the #1 issue that tears this conference apart within the next decade.

MajorMike
10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
What I wanted to know is if you actually knew anything about the contract since you bitch about it so much.

Since you obviously don't know, this is the last year of this particular contract and the new one starts next year and runs thru something like 2015. It involves all sports, assures at least 4 or 5 primetime football games per year, plus the B12 Champ game, lots of basketball games, smaller sports aired on the U, like wrestling and soccer and whatnot. Basketball will be the biggest part of the contract, as they assure the B12 of 3 showings on one of the networks per week (more than any other conf).

Additionally, I believe it ensures that one game not nationally televised per week in football will get aired on the game plan pay per view (in this case would be OSU/Neb) if produced by school media (for instance OSU airs all of their games online thru the school website).

Do a little checking next time before you step on your dick.

Поповић
10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Wow, real tough dude. Okie State? Did you have to be free of lice to matriculate?

K-State Spur
10-01-2007, 10:32 PM
What I wanted to know is if you actually knew anything about the contract since you bitch about it so much.

Since you obviously don't know, this is the last year of this particular contract and the new one starts next year and runs thru something like 2015. It involves all sports, assures at least 4 or 5 primetime football games per year, plus the B12 Champ game, lots of basketball games, smaller sports aired on the U, like wrestling and soccer and whatnot. Basketball will be the biggest part of the contract, as they assure the B12 of 3 showings on one of the networks per week (more than any other conf).

Additionally, I believe it ensures that one game not nationally televised per week in football will get aired on the game plan pay per view (in this case would be OSU/Neb) if produced by school media (for instance OSU airs all of their games online thru the school website).

Do a little checking next time before you step on your dick.

What was I wrong about? Yes, we have a new contract next year (but you asked me about this one), but - as far as football is concerned - it's basically the same contract extended with a few tweaks.

Still nowhere near the coverage of the Big 10, $EC, and ACC.

If I didn't know what I was talking about, I could just make up a bunch of stats out of thin air and hope that nobody called me on it. That seems to work for some people when discussing the Cardinals...

SrA Husker
10-02-2007, 08:23 AM
KU vs Baylor will be televised by Fox College Sports live with an 11:30am kick, making the NU/OSU game the only not televised of the week. I don't know what kind of sense that makes, but oh well.

Thank you, Cowpokes, for choking twice on tv.

MajorMike
10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
KU vs Baylor will be televised by Fox College Sports live with an 11:30am kick, making the NU/OSU game the only not televised of the week. I don't know what kind of sense that makes, but oh well.

Thank you, Cowpokes, for choking twice on tv.

And... how have the bugeaters performed on their primetime nation tv appearances?

MajorMike
10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
What was I wrong about? Yes, we have a new contract next year (but you asked me about this one), but - as far as football is concerned - it's basically the same contract extended with a few tweaks.

Still nowhere near the coverage of the Big 10, $EC, and ACC.

If I didn't know what I was talking about, I could just make up a bunch of stats out of thin air and hope that nobody called me on it. That seems to work for some people when discussing the Cardinals...

I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again - the Big 12 TV contract flat out sucks (and no, I'm not saying this because the KSU-Missouri State game is not televised tomorrow).

We need to get rid of the ridiculous exclusive rights windows that the networks have negotiated with us. Texas, OU, and UNL like it because they are going to be on TV anyways - so they the extra revenue that comes from an exclusive rights window is preferable (in addition, it keeps the money at the top helping to maintain the powers that be in this conference), but it's without a doubt harmful to the conference as a whole.

We are going to call ourselves a major conference when every Big 10 conference game, virtually every SEC conference game, and the vast majority of the ACC conference games are going to be televised - but less than 50% of the Big 12 conference games will be on TV this year? That's ridiculous and should be obvious to any fan of this conference.

So.... if you KNEW about the new contract, why would you make a post stating that we needed to get rid of the CURRENT contract, when it in effect is already gotten rid of next year, anyway, and you would have KNOWN that if you in fact did know about next year's?

K-State Spur
10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
because, as far as football is concerned, we EXTENDED the same deal with some minor tweaks.

we didn't add any new TV partners (ESPN simply replaced TBS), we didn't add any new timeslots, and we didn't get rid of the exclusive rights window. you may just think i'm whining here (and you're entitled to that opinion), but try to pass this off as something drastically different is just plain moronic.

the level of exposure is still far below the other conferences that we like to put ourselves on par with.

ISU and Baylor are looking at a season in which they might be televised twice. now, we say 'no big deal, that's because they suck.' but so do vanderbilt and northwestern, and they'll each have the majority of their games televised.

SrA Husker
10-02-2007, 10:46 AM
And... how have the bugeaters performed on their primetime nation tv appearances?

Nebraska National TV Appearances:

Nebraska 52, Nevada 10 (Nevada 2006: Bowl team)
Nebraska 20, at Wake Forest 17 (WF 2006: ACC Champions)
Nebraska 31, #1 USC 49 (#1 team in the nation, only loss...)

Oklahoma State National TV Appearances:

Okie State 14, at #13 Georgia 35
Okie State 23, at little Sun Belt School Troy 41
FSN wasn't National Coverage...

So yeah, thanks for asking. Especially as Nevada would whip Troy.

K-State Spur
10-02-2007, 12:14 PM
to nitpick, the nebraska/nevada matchup was a regional telecast and FSN was national coverage.

but you still win your point.

SrA Husker
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
to nitpick, the nebraska/nevada matchup was a regional telecast and FSN was national coverage.

but you still win your point.

Point conceded. I was thinking NU/Nevada qualified as National as it was also on Gameplan, while I thought OU/TTU was only on in Texas and Oklahoma.

K-State Spur
10-02-2007, 12:28 PM
i know where you were going with it though - the ABC regional telecast is the premium slot of our deal. even if it is regional, it is greater exposure (and a bigger paycheck) than either FSN or ESPN.

MajorMike
10-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Primetime.... PRIMEtime...

Doug Collins
10-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Nebraska National TV Appearances:

Nebraska 52, Nevada 10 (Nevada 2006: Bowl team)
Nebraska 20, at Wake Forest 17 (WF 2006: ACC Champions)
Nebraska 31, #1 USC 49 (#1 team in the nation, only loss...)

Oklahoma State National TV Appearances:

Okie State 14, at #13 Georgia 35
Okie State 23, at little Sun Belt School Troy 41
FSN wasn't National Coverage...

So yeah, thanks for asking. Especially as Nevada would whip Troy.

Pwned

SrA Husker
10-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Primetime.... PRIMEtime...

Okay - Prime time. Nebraska lost to the #1 team in the nation. Okie State lost to Troy. You still lose.

And I would consider any saturday nationally televised game as important (especially more if on ABC/ESPN) then an FSN "primetime" game. For College Football, 2:30 is prime time IMHO.

MajorMike
10-02-2007, 06:57 PM
So, was the should-have-lost-but-they can't-kick-a-fg to Ball State in prime time or the should-have-lost-to-a-team-starting-their-2nd-string-qb to WF in prime time or the gave-up-17-points-to-a-bottom-10-team ISU game in prime time?

SrA Husker
10-02-2007, 07:52 PM
So, was the should-have-lost-but-they can't-kick-a-fg to Ball State in prime time or the should-have-lost-to-a-team-starting-their-2nd-string-qb to WF in prime time or the gave-up-17-points-to-a-bottom-10-team ISU game in prime time?

None of those were in prime time, and stop talking shit about giving up 17 to ISU because YOU GAVE UP 40+ TO TROY.

RonMexico
10-02-2007, 10:51 PM
CaptMike is such a little bitch... still...

MajorMike
10-03-2007, 07:58 AM
None of those were in prime time, and stop talking shit about giving up 17 to ISU because YOU GAVE UP 40+ TO TROY.

Troy - Bowl team
ISU - not so much

K-State Spur
10-03-2007, 09:46 AM
Not sure how that's a valid comparison. They did beat ISU, not get embarrassed in front of the 36 people that were watching the national coverage on a Friday night.

RonMexico
10-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Sometimes I wish CaptMike were actually Mike Gundy because then he could provide unintentional comedy from time to time.

CaptMike just provides intentional douchebaggery, shortsightedness, and stupidity on a daily basis.

Mike, ISU beat Iowa... and K-State BEAT ISU... OSU LOST to Troy... and Tech GAVE them another victory.

Thunder Dan
10-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm pissed Ohio State has Troy next year the week after they go to USC. Talk about a trap game, Ohio State might lose to USC since they will be looking ahead to that powerhouse from the Sun Belt

Help A Brother Out
10-03-2007, 01:12 PM
So when do we get the see the NCAA Champion Okie Lite Women's Water Polo team on ESPN4?

RonMexico
10-03-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm pissed Ohio State has Troy next year the week after they go to USC. Talk about a trap game, Ohio State might lose to USC since they will be looking ahead to that powerhouse from the Sun Belt

Better schedule a warm-up game in Stillwater instead...

MajorMike
10-03-2007, 04:04 PM
So when do we get the see the NCAA Champion Okie Lite Women's Water Polo team on ESPN4?

We don't play water polo. We do, however, have the #13 Women's Soccer team, #4 Men's Cross Country, #4 Men's Golf, #10 Women's Golf, and #2 Women's Equestrian. Maybe you can tune in for one of them.

RonMexico
10-03-2007, 06:34 PM
We don't play water polo. We do, however, have the #13 Women's Soccer team, #4 Men's Cross Country, #4 Men's Golf, #10 Women's Golf, and #2 Women's Equestrian. Maybe you can tune in for one of them.

And the homosexuality continues.

MajorMike
10-06-2007, 08:14 AM
The Oklahoma State Cowboys visit the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Big 12 football action on Oct. 13. The game will begin at 11:30 a.m. and will be available nationally as a Fox Sports Net pay-per-view event.

More details on the pay-per-view telecast will be made available in the next few days by FSN. Suggested residential retail price for the game is $29.95 through participating cable and satellite providers.

SrA Husker
10-06-2007, 11:42 AM
The Oklahoma State Cowboys visit the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Big 12 football action on Oct. 13. The game will begin at 11:30 a.m. and will be available nationally as a Fox Sports Net pay-per-view event.

More details on the pay-per-view telecast will be made available in the next few days by FSN. Suggested residential retail price for the game is $29.95 through participating cable and satellite providers.

Wow, nice 4-day old press release :)

Now I know how long the pony express takes to get into Okie.