PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Radiohead

exstatic
10-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Someone was going to do it eventually.

Radiohead releases new album on their website for whatever you want to pay... (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1666973,00.html?xid=site-cnn-partner)

Roughly 12,000 albums are released in an average year, so the announcement late Sunday night that the new Radiohead record, In Rainbows, will be out Oct. 10 is not itself big news. Sure, Radiohead is on a sustained run as the most interesting and innovative band in rock, but what makes In Rainbows important — easily the most important release in the recent history of the music business — are its record label and its retail price: there is none, and there is none.

In Rainbows will be released as a digital download available only via the band's web site, Radiohead.com. There's no label or distribution partner to cut into the band's profits — but then there may not be any profits. Drop In Rainbows' 15 songs into the online checkout basket and a question mark pops up where the price would normally be. Click it, and the prompt "It's Up To You" appears. Click again and it refreshes with the words "It's Really Up To You" — and really, it is. It's the first major album whose price is determined by what individual consumers want to pay for it. And it's perfectly acceptable to pay nothing at all.

Radiohead's contract with EMI/Capitol expired after its last record, Hail to the Thief, was released in 2003; shortly before the band started writing new songs, singer Thom Yorke told TIME, "I like the people at our record company, but the time is at hand when you have to ask why anyone needs one. And, yes, it probably would give us some perverse pleasure to say 'F___ you' to this decaying business model." On Sunday night, guitarist Jonny Greenwood took to Radiohead's Dead Air Space blog and nonchalantly announced, "Hello everyone. Well, the new album is finished, and it's coming out in 10 days. We've called it In Rainbows. Love from us all."

The TOP artists get about 30% of sales, so if only one person in 3 pays retail, they come out ahead. Brass balls, guys. WTG.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
I heard about this!

Trent Reznor was telling audiences "steal my fucking album the labels are ripping you off" last month, but this takes it to a whole nother level!!! Fuck yeah, props Radiohead.

This is what its all about....no doubt they come ahead too. Decaying business model....I love it.

T Park
10-01-2007, 08:58 PM
great stuff until they come to tow the porsche.

ChumpDumper
10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
They'll still make the real money on tour -- but it will be interesting to see if they disclose what their gross from the web sales turns out to be.

This move has already gotten them more press exposure than a record label could give. Next they should be in an iPod competitor's holiday commercial that plays up the freedom of file types, song movement and sharing and the like. Samsung ought to give them a call.

exstatic
10-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Dude, RIF. The biggest repeat multi-platinum acts fork over 70% to the blood sucking labels. Imagine if you were forced to hand over 70 cents of every dollar that you took in on your rides. The little guy makes even less, all so that a bunch of A&R assholes can run up thousand dollar lunch tabs with each other. NO ONE gets rich selling albums, except the record companies. To make money in the music biz, you have to be a road dog. Touring is where the music cash is.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-01-2007, 10:48 PM
This is the future of the music industry.

I'll pay for the album because I love Radiohead's music, and I'll be happy to know that they are getting the cash and not a bunch of middlemen and other talent-leeches.

:tu

leemajors
10-01-2007, 11:09 PM
they should also take up the torch that pearl jam did vs ticketmaster and other such companies. i have no doubt they will charge out the ass for the tour, hopefully they will make those recordings available to the public cheap - i think pearl jam made sony put out all 72 shows they did in 2000-2001. chump, what do you mean? Apple has been pushing DRM free music for a while - and from what i understand, DRM is a recording industry/label thing, not a content provider thing. this is a good move by radiohead though.

leemajors
10-01-2007, 11:39 PM
this should also be merged, ex missed the boat by 8 hours on this one.

monosylab1k
10-02-2007, 12:18 AM
spoken like a true Nickelback fan.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-02-2007, 02:42 AM
did this really need it's own thread?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78637

ChumpDumper
10-02-2007, 04:22 AM
chump, what do you mean? Apple has been pushing DRM free music for a whileI could be wrong, but I thought there were restrictions on what could be played on an iPod and how iTunes downloads can be used. Feel free to correct me.

Slomo
10-02-2007, 05:06 AM
You can play pretty much any wav, aac or mp3 file on you ipod, regardless of where it came from (and if it does not have any DRM on the aac). However titles that are bought through the itunes store all have DRM and there's a limit on how many ipods you can upload and listen those tracks (I kinda remember the limt being 3, but I'm not sure since I don't use itunes' store).

It is a common misconception that you can only listen to music you bought from itunes on your ipod. Actually even the itunes software will happily rip your CDs and put the files on the ipod without any DRM.

ChumpDumper
10-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Ok, I was misinformed about the formats, but the iTunes purchase contention stands. I knew files from other sources weren't limited.

Spurminator
10-02-2007, 08:52 AM
The limit is five, but you can still burn them to CD and then rip them back off as unprotected files. Pain in the ass though.

Slomo
10-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I've also seen software that can crack the DRM if you need to at all cost. Just a little less of a pain.

CD
Regarding the itunes DRM I agree it's a pain and your comments stand, but it was the first legal way of buying/downloading current music by the song and as such set the trend - for that I will always cut them some slack. But I will also be the first to applaud when/if DRM becomes a thing of the past.

The main advantage of the ipod was and still is the sound quality. When it came out it was in a league of its own. Recent devices have closed the gap but I still like the attention Apple put into the sound reproduction of the ipod. It's like home network mp3 players they're all very nice, but the first time you hook up a sqeezebox from slimdevices to your music center, you'll never look at anything else (except the even better and pricier other products of slimdevices). I have friends who swore they would never listen at classical music on an mp3 that were blown away by the squeezebox.