PDA

View Full Version : Mav's 6th in Stein's Rankings: Just how damaged is the psyche of this team?

mavsfan1000
10-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Mav's 6th in Stein's Rankings: Just how damaged is the psyche of this team?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2008&week=-1&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

Stein has the mavericks below detroit, houston, and boston heading into training camp.

What bullshit this is. Detroit is a year older, Boston hasn't proven anything yet as they have no quality point guard or center, and Houston hasn't proven anthing yet either.

monosylab1k
10-02-2007, 03:40 PM
I wish I knew. It would be alot easier to watch this season knowing if their psyche is damaged or not.

It also sucks that we won't even start knowing until after 82 games are over with and the playoffs start.

monosylab1k
10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I really want to see how Avery does this year. This is a huge year for Avery, to see if he stays on the fast track to being an elite-level coach, or if he slips and falls.

He keeps saying Harris is the man at PG, but if things start slowly I can see him pulling the plug on that and going with a Terry/Harris mix like last year.

mavs>spurs2
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
I wish I knew. It would be alot easier to watch this season knowing if their psyche is damaged or not.

It also sucks that we won't even start knowing until after 82 games are over with and the playoffs start.

That's the part that really gets me

I almost don't even want to pay attention to the regular season or watch any games, because I might only be setting myself up for a letdown

hater
10-02-2007, 04:00 PM
he is calling them out because they choked vs. the 8th seed. pretty logical

Findog
10-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Who cares? The best thing they can do is use the hate for motivation and fuel. We live in a society that can't grasp big picture or long-term. As it relates to basketball, the writers only remember the last game. They should use the disrespect and the scorn as a tool to prove people wrong.

BigVee
10-02-2007, 04:34 PM
As a spurs fan, I still see the Mavericks as the team the Spurs have to beat to come out of the west. Who knows how it will turn out, but winning 67 games is no fluke.

JamStone
10-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Cleveland went to the Finals last year and are ranked #7. Miami won it all two years ago and while they'll be recovering from injuries still have Shaq and Wade and they're ranked #20.

Quit your bitching. You're lucky you're not ranked below Golden State.

SRJ
10-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Ditto the previous poster. I respect the Mavs and I know the Spurs are in for a tough series if they tangle next May or June.

Bruno
10-02-2007, 05:27 PM
IMO, the thing Mavs should avoid at all cost to do this year is over-analyzing every little details. If they just play their games, they will be fine.

TLWisfoine
10-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Marc Stein has us at 6th? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO were doomed!!!

TLWisfoine
10-02-2007, 06:16 PM

Before the Mavs came into the league I was the hugest 76er fan. What the Mavs have gone through is nothing compared to them back in the day, and even they finally got their championship.

mavsfan1000
10-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Cleveland went to the Finals last year and are ranked #7. Miami won it all two years ago and while they'll be recovering from injuries still have Shaq and Wade and they're ranked #20.

Quit your bitching. You're lucky you're not ranked below Golden State.
Shouldn't Cleveland and Miami be ahead of you than based on that argument?

dallaskd
10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
bad link

JamStone
10-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Shouldn't Cleveland and Miami be ahead of you than based on that argument?

Cleveland, sure, even though they have not signed Varejao or Pavlovic yet. I wouldn't have a problem with that. Miami why? Miami lost in the first round last year. We're not coming off the 2005-06 season.

mavsfan1000
10-02-2007, 09:32 PM
bad link
Alright fixed.

Roxsfan
10-02-2007, 09:37 PM
who cares about rankings at this point

monosylab1k
10-02-2007, 10:22 PM
unless the Mavericks go into the toilet, this is going to be one boring ass regular season for Mavs fans.

mavsfan1000
10-03-2007, 12:45 AM
unless the Mavericks go into the toilet, this is going to be one boring ass regular season for Mavs fans.
Why is that? Should be fun seeing Harris and Howard develop and a blend of the new guards of Hassell and Eddie Jones fit with this team. I would like to see Harris more at the point guard to make this team more exciting.

Dirk Nowitzki
10-03-2007, 01:45 AM
I will help Mav fans get through the regular season. Guys dont forget my GAME DAY threads will get blood flowing and emotions rolling! I am slowly getting back all my motivation. The journey to the 2008 title begins on the road against the Cavs. Ahhh I can ALMOST taste the season coming back and me being rejuvinated! LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! LETS GO MAVS! :clap :clap :clap

SAtown
10-03-2007, 02:32 AM
I will help Mav fans get through the regular season. Guys dont forget my GAME DAY threads will get blood flowing and emotions rolling! I am slowly getting back all my motivation.

I can't wait!

:depressed :depressed :depressed I am soooo heartbroken. This hurts alot. My heart was in so much pain. I was getting to watch the game at the movie tavern but they turned it off and started spiderman 3 right at midnight (It was 99-75 with 5 minutes left). BTW great movie and I just got back from the theaters. Props to Golden State they earned this series. Winner of spurs/suns is going to the finals obviously. No excuses. We got our asses kicked. I am an arrogant homer I wont deny that. I love my team so much that I defend them a little too much its hard to control that. I still want to post here but I am going to try to be a lot more humble then ever now. I enjoy this message board. Best of luck to the spurs and to the suns. Golden State is a fucking good team no doubt about it. :depressed :depressed :depressed

:lmao :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lmao :jack

TLWisfoine
10-03-2007, 03:04 AM
I can't wait!

Screw you

TLWisfoine
10-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Why is that? Should be fun seeing Harris and Howard develop and a blend of the new guards of Hassell and Eddie Jones fit with this team. I would like to see Harris more at the point guard to make this team more exciting.

I'd like to see Harris be able to stay on the court and not be in foul trouble the first three minutes of the game. But other than that I agree with you entirely.

monosylab1k
10-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah but it's 82 games of nothing as far as the Mavericks proving anything. They could go 82-0 and nobody would be impressed or think they could win it all.

Cry Havoc
10-03-2007, 09:34 AM
I'd like to see Harris be able to stay on the court and not be in foul trouble the first three minutes of the game. But other than that I agree with you entirely.

It will be interesting to see if Avery attempts to control his flopping this year. I'm guessing if he doesn't, teams are going to take advantage. He was able to hide (kind of) behind Jason Terry as the backup PG, but now teams are going to specifically target his weaknesses and attempt to pressure him. Should be interesting to see how he matches up against some of the league's bigger PGs.

lefty
10-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Those 2 straight playoffs eliminations can make them stronger; remember when the Spurs had all those underachieving postseasons after having great regular seasons?

Mavs can learn from those bad experiences, and become a better playoff team.

mavsfan1000
10-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah but it's 82 games of nothing as far as the Mavericks proving anything. They could go 82-0 and nobody would be impressed or think they could win it all.
True but the joy is watching them play and winning. It will only be a boring year if the mavs don't play well.

Findog
10-03-2007, 12:37 PM
True but the joy is watching them play and winning. It will only be a boring year if the mavs don't play well.

I second this sentiment. Stop crying over playoff flameouts and enjoy watching a winning team. It's better than being a Grizzlies fan.

monosylab1k
10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Wow.....even our fans have ceased with having title expectations....The Mavericks are officially the new generation Utah Jazz.

With the season coming so close, i should have expected the pom-poms to come out.

Findog
10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Wow.....even our fans have ceased with having title expectations....The Mavericks are officially the new generation Utah Jazz.

With the season coming so close, i should have expected the pom-poms to come out.

Why should one get their hopes up? On an emotional level, on an intellectual level, I can't justify predicting a title over San Antonio or Houston. Can you? You're representative of the hardest to please and the biggest doubters in the Mavs fan base, and you're calling us out for doubting their ability to win a title as well?

Besides, I can't stand to read the preseason previews anyway, what with all of this "Get the Mavericks a wetnurse and an appointment with Dr. Phil..." garbage. It's so cliched and rote. They should just go out there and have fun, and let the chips fall where they may. Don't give the critics the satisfaction of seeing them mope or start saying things like "Yeah, we're 44-16, but when the time comes, we gotta get it done in the playoffs..."

There's 82 games between now and then, nothing can be done about it except win a bunch of games so we're playing past April 20th. I doubt they really even enjoyed going 67-15 last year since they were in such a frenzy to prove everyone wrong.

monosylab1k
10-03-2007, 01:36 PM
You're representative of the hardest to please and the biggest doubters in the Mavs fan base, and you're calling us out for doubting their ability to win a title as well?
Hardest to please I agree with.

Biggest doubter, I don't agree with at all.

I have never doubted this team's ability - I'm of the opinion that they were capable of winning a title for the past 3 or 4 years.

I see this current team as good enough to win a championship this year, so why should I want anything less? Why should I expect anything less?

I've enjoyed them winning alot of regular season games for almost a decade now. It's about time to enjoy them doing something more than that, especially when it's well within their capabilities.

I'm just extremely frustrated by the way that they seem to find every way possible to make things difficult for themselves.

Findog
10-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Hardest to please I agree with.

Biggest doubter, I don't agree with at all.

I have never doubted this team's ability - I'm of the opinion that they were capable of winning a title for the past 3 or 4 years.

I see this team as good enough to win a championship this year, so why should I want anything less?

I've enjoyed them winning alot of regular season games for almost a decade now. It's about time to enjoy them doing something more than that, especially when it's well within their capabilities.

I'm just extremely frustrated by the way that they seem to find every way possible to make things difficult for themselves.

I think they're talented enough to win a title and they're good enough to win a title. But there are so many variables: injuries, Tim Duncan, seedings, etc. I want to win a title too, but I just have no expecations anymore with this team. There's no ceiling and there's no floor. Another first-round exit? Wouldn't surprise me. Actually winning the damn thing? Wouldn't put it past them either.

I'm just so sick of hacks like Stein that want to pepper the guys constantly with "Wow, that was some meltdown against Golden State, huh? How could you ever recover from that? Don't you think there will be permanent scars and issues from that?" How the fuck are you supposed to answer that kind of line of questioning?

I think their goal is to win a title, but I also want them to play the season with a firm middle finger extended towards their critics. Fuck you, we're not going to mope and feel sorry for ourselves and constantly apologize for Golden State, and we're not going to play your bullshit game of "Well, we're off to a good start, we're 26-8, but we have to do it in the playoffs.."

Dirk Nowitzki
10-03-2007, 10:06 PM
I can't wait!

Just like I cant wait when the New York "We dont even have our own stadium and the name of it belongs to the other team" Jets come to Dallas for turkey day and get their lottery bound asses raped by Romo and company! :clap :clap :clap :elephant :elephant :elephant