PDA

View Full Version : A&M coach gives impassioned speech on future

RonMexico
10-02-2007, 05:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=At8fyPGOVfToab01Qtc.rjUcvrYF?slug=ap-texasam-franchione&prov=ap&type=lgns

A&M coach gives impassioned speech on future

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
October 2, 2007

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) -- Like it or not Texas A&M fans, Dennis Franchione says he's not leaving any time soon.

Franchione -- under fire for a blowout loss to Miami and news of his secretive, for-pay newsletter to boosters -- gave a defiant, emotional speech in an auditorium packed with his players Tuesday. He said he has the support of athletics director Bill Byrne and has no intention of stepping down.

"I love this job. I love these players. I love this university," Franchione said, "and my desire is to remain here and elevate this program to the highest level."

Franchione, whose $2 million-a-year contract runs through 2012, last week admitted he provided inside information about his team to an exclusive group of boosters who paid $1,200 to get it. That came a week after a 34-17 loss to Miami that renewed cries from big-money supporters for Franchione's firing.

A&M officials moved Tuesday's weekly media availability from the usual small room to a large auditorium. The entire team filed into the theater seats just before Franchione entered. He got a standing ovation as he walked to the podium, with tears welling in his eyes.

"The last few days have produced many rumors and some misguided speculation about my status as head football coach at Texas A&M," said Franchione, who has been peppered with questions about his future since the Miami loss but said Tuesday "there is no more need to discuss this matter."

"Bill Byrne, as my boss and the athletic director, has affirmed me in every way, and has left no doubt, that he has confidence in me and has every intention to help me succeed in building this football program. And for that I am deeply grateful."

Byrne, on a previously scheduled visit to Washington, D.C., released a statement that stopped short of an endorsement.

"I want to reinforce to members of the media and to our outstanding Aggie fans, I will not discuss matters pertaining to head coaches during their seasons," the statement said. Byrne said he looks forward to "working with Coach Fran as our head football coach" as A&M prepares to play Oklahoma State.

Texas A&M (4-1, 1-0 Big 12) plays Oklahoma State (3-2, 1-0) on Saturday at Kyle Field.

Franchione said he discontinued the insider newsletter after the Aggies' triple-overtime win over Fresno State on Sept. 8. Byrne said the school was "gathering all of the information" about it and would "release it in its entirety as soon as we possibly can."

Texas A&M interim president Dr. Ed Davis said in a statement that he's asked Byrne and David Batson, the school's NCAA compliance officer, "to urgently look into the matter of the VIP e-mail list to insure there are no violations of NCAA rules or regulations."

Athletics department spokesman Alan Cannon said the school has started an internal review and will contact the NCAA when it's completed.

Franchione is 29-24 in five seasons leading the Aggies, but he's 1-9 against Big 12 powers Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska and Aggies fans have become agitated. Last year's 12-7 win over Texas in Austin probably bought Franchione some good will.

The Aggies lost 45-10 to California in last season's Holiday Bowl and they were just as overmatched in Miami. When the Aggies returned to College Station, quarterback Stephen McGee found a nasty note from a fan on the windshield of his pickup truck.

That was nothing compared to the firestorm generated when news broke about Franchione's exclusive team reports, which included injury information and player assessments. Franchione admitted after Saturday's 34-10 victory over Baylor that he made a mistake.

He said he's gotten support from many within the A&M community, but some negative messages too.

"I think sometimes when you're in this role, some people forget you're a human being," Franchione said, later adding, "I do have feelings and I am sensitive and everybody needs to know that."

McGee, offensive lineman Kirk Elder and defensive end Chris Harrington went to a movie Sunday night and decided afterward to gather their teammates in a show of support at Tuesday's media gathering.

"When people start attacking your family like that, you've got to pull together," said Harrington, a senior. "You have to stand up and fight. Fran is part of the family. We're going to stand up for him and we're going to play our butts off for him."

Midway through Franchione's news conference, the team got up and filed out of the auditorium, with Franchione embracing almost every one at the door.

"I'm only an effective leader if they want me to be the leader, I think," he said. "And, certainly this was a statement to me by them."

RonMexico
10-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Honestly, if this lights a fire in the team and they contend or even win the Big 12 South Title, then I think Fran is around next year...

leemajors
10-02-2007, 11:07 PM
i don't see how players could rally around a coach who sold them out. literally.

MajorMike
10-03-2007, 08:01 AM
Isn't it usually the kiss of death when a coach says he's going to be there for a long time and the AD says he is 100% behind his coach?

Extra Stout
10-03-2007, 08:09 AM
If Texas A&M keeps this clown around because they win the Big 12 South title, then they should hold a special bonfire ceremony where they incinerate that so-called "Aggie Honor Code," and replace it with a new one: "Aggies tolerate lying, cheating, and stealing as long as it ensures a berth in a second-tier bowl."

MajorMike
10-03-2007, 09:22 AM
If Texas A&M keeps this clown around because they win the Big 12 South title, then they should hold a special bonfire ceremony where they incinerate that so-called "Aggie Honor Code," and replace it with a new one: "Aggies tolerate lying, cheating, and stealing as long as it ensures a berth in a second-tier bowl."

Honor code? Cheating is in the blood at atm.

Top 10 Dirtiest Programs (http://sportsline.com/columns/story/10255471)

8. Texas A&M. The state of Texas, football and rules violations go together like ham, egg and cheese. Might deserve a higher slot, but the Aggies' cheat-to-win ratio is low. In other words, it hasn't been money well spent.

Breaking the rules: College football (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/07/06/cheating.cfb/index.html)

College football's worst-kept secret is the age-old tradition of boosters -- often with a coach's implicit approval -- buying the services of blue-chip recruits and/or fattening star players' wallets during their stay on campus. Tales of hundred-dollar handshakes, cash-filled duffle bags and shiny new cars date back to at least the days of legendary coach Bear Bryant, whose Texas A&M teams were placed on NCAA probation in the 1950s as a result of the coach soliciting the help of a few deep-pocketed oil men in the Aggies' recruiting efforts. Corruption became so commonplace in the old Southwest Conference that at one point in the '80s seven of the nine schools had been placed on probation, most notably SMU, which received the NCAA "death penalty" (and was forced to shut its football program down for one year) for a series of booster-related scandals of which school personnel were not only aware but involved.

Top 10 Dirtiest Programs (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/tag/TenDirtiestNCAAFBPrograms/)

Football's Dirtiest Programs: #3, Texas A&M
In the early 80s Joe Paterno quipped that he wouldn't retire because it would leave football in the hands of "the Jackie Sherrills and the Barry Switzers." This irritated Sherrill, but the shoe seemed to fit. On Sherrill's watch both Texas A&M and Mississippi state were found to have "lack of institutional control". A few years later RC Slocum, who was an assistant for the Aggies under Sherrill, saw his Aggies get cited by the NCAA for lack of control, making the Aggies the first team on our count-down to amass two such violations.

degenerate_gambler
10-03-2007, 09:23 AM
i don't see how players could rally around a coach who sold them out. literally.

the only player I hear talking up Fran is McGee.

I don't know. He makes $2M/yr with a contract through 2012. No fool is going to just walk away from that.

degenerate_gambler
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Isn't it usually the kiss of death when a coach says he's going to be there for a long time and the AD says he is 100% behind his coach?

The thing is, I haven't heard Dolla Bill say that he has Fran's back. I've only heard him say that they do not review a coach's standing during the season, which on the face of it, isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

leemajors
10-03-2007, 09:45 AM
The thing is, I haven't heard Dolla Bill say that he has Fran's back. I've only heard him say that they do not review a coach's standing during the season, which on the face of it, isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.
according to richard justice:

However, Byrne released a statement that didn't read like an endorsement. ''I want to reinforce to members of the media and to our outstanding Aggie fans, I will not discuss matters pertaining to head coaches during their seasons,'' it said.

samikeyp
10-03-2007, 10:50 AM
If Fran runs the table, including a bowl game...he will be back.

Otherwise, I don't think he will.

RonMexico
10-03-2007, 11:15 AM
9-3 plus Bowl win = back

10-2 with Bowl loss = maybe

3-1 vs. Tech, Neb, OU, Texas = good chances

1-3 vs. Tech, Neb, OU, Texas = gone

degenerate_gambler
10-03-2007, 11:39 AM
9-3 plus Bowl win = back

10-2 with Bowl loss = maybe

3-1 vs. Tech, Neb, OU, Texas = good chances

1-3 vs. Tech, Neb, OU, Texas = gone

I just can't see 10-2 with their schedule, but if it happens, I don't think a bowl loss would be enough to can him.

Every other scenario, you hit the nail on the head.

What's your take on 2-2 with a bowl win or 2-2 and a bowl loss?

RonMexico
10-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I just can't see 10-2 with their schedule, but if it happens, I don't think a bowl loss would be enough to can him.

Here's the tricky part with the 2-2 scenarios: I think those two losses cannot fall into these categories

1. Blowout loss (i.e. 77-0)

2. Flawed gameplan coupled with an emotionless team (i.e. Miami game)

3. Poor clock management/unintelligent decisions on key plays (i.e. Clemson game '05, OU game '06, Neb '06)

If I were to define the term "quality loss" and how it could relate to this team, I would point to the Tech game in '06 and the OU game in '04: in both of those games, the team played hard, Fran employed a looser offense, and they were merely outdone on a few strong plays by the other team. In '06 against TTU, Peterson played that throw about as well as you can without committing interference and Harrell just made a great play (although they did give up a 4th and 5 conversion the play before).

In '04 against OU, they had Jason White nearly sacked on 3rd down and he just stepped up in the pocket and hit his receiver who then made a nice spin move and shook into the end zone. Reggie got injured that game too when he was playing really well, so Ty Branyon had to try and bring them back, which is tough. I chalked that up to inexperience and a good effort against a 6th yr QB on a team that went to the National Championship game.

So, to answer the question, 2-2 with well-played games and a team that plays with passion, along with a bowl win leaves him with a better than avg. chance of sticking around.

2-2 with a bowl loss, he can pretty much pack his bags.

A loss to either KU or Missouri makes the seat even hotter, as well. A loss to OSU, they should get rid of the program altogether.

Basically, his margin for error is even slimmer than it was at the start of the season, which is shocking and hilarious at the same time.

MajorMike
10-03-2007, 04:09 PM

atm only has 3 home games left - OSU/KU/UT. All winable/losable.
They play 4 of the next 5 @ ttek, @ Neb, @ uo, @ Mizzou. If they go 2-2 or better that stretch I'll be amazed. 6-2 is possible but so is 2-6. Nobody really knows what's up with anyone in the B12 right now.

Willinsa
10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Franny suffers from bad karma, lets not forget the lies he told the Alabama players. So aggy does tolerate liars and cheaters.

BradLohaus
10-03-2007, 04:58 PM
If Fran can get a win in the Alamo Bowl, or get to and lose the Cotton or Holiday Bowls, I think he gets one more year. If he loses in the Alamo Bowl, or goes to a worse bowl, I think he's out. If he wins the Holiday or Cotton Bowls, or gets to a BCS bowl, then this incident is forgotten.

I think that since McGee is loyal to Fran they will give him a shot to stick around for McGee's senior year - or longer if the team does well enough. I don't think this A&M team, with it's glaring weaknesses, will be able to win enough to keep Fran around. That would probably be better for the Aggies in the long run.