View Full Version : Spurs open camp for what they hope will be long season

Spurs Brazil
10-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Spurs open camp for what they hope will be long season

By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer
October 2, 2007

AP - Oct 2, 5:15 pm EDT
More Photos

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was half surprised Robert Horry showed up for the first day of training camp Tuesday.

And when he heard from Horry himself that this is the veteran's 16th season in the NBA, he nearly kicked him out.

"I just felt like saying, 'Go home.' That's like cruel and unusual punishment. Anybody with a brain says just send him home, come back in about three weeks," Popovich said, laughing. "I'm proud of him for being here."

But Horry stuck around, bringing the roster to about 20, as the Spurs opened camp at home after holding an out-of-town version the past couple of years.

The Spurs started camp, as they always do, with the basics. It's something that Popovich joked made some players roll their eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It was good to have everybody back and on the court and pretty healthy," Popovich said. "It's always a fun time of year."

While much of what was said the first day of camp was lighthearted, Tuesday nonetheless signaled the end of enjoying this year's NBA title and the beginning of defending it.

Horry said he's ready. He's even switched back to the No. 25 jersey of his early days with the Houston Rockets, giving up No. 5.

"I changed to 25 to make myself feel like it was my first time in the league," said the 37-year-old Horry, who has seven NBA titles. "Try to give me that youth, that energy, that same joy that I had when I came into the league."

Horry also said he wouldn't close the door on playing another season after this one, though it was widely thought this would be his last.

"I feel good, that's the most important thing. I feel good, I'm still enjoying it," he said. "Once I lose that joy, I think I don't want to play. But right now I'm loving it and I still want to play."

Popovich also wouldn't peg Horry for retirement.

"I know that he's really enjoyed his time here. He's found a real niche with this group of guys," Popovich said. "He feels comfortable with them, with the coaches. Because of that it's going to be special when he does decide to hang 'em up."

Players said they also were grateful to have camp at home. Last year it was in France. The year before it was the Virgin Islands.

Tony Parker kidded on Monday he thought some of the players with infants at home would strike if camp were held overseas.

"I'm happy to be home. ... You sleep in your own bed, you have a routine here," said Bruce Bowen, a father of two.

Parker has no children, and the 25-year-old is a virtual baby on a team where all but a few players are 30 or older.

"So we'll get that out of the way right away. We're older than hell! And maybe we'll win, maybe we won't," Popovich said Monday, half acting like he didn't care either way.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArkYXm8QVq6.dH2yLHpR7OmM0bYF?slug=ap-spurscamp&prov=ap&type=lgns