PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: A whirlwind year for Parker

timvp
10-03-2007, 02:47 AM
A whirlwind year for Parker
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

A rehash of Tony Parker's summer schedule reads like a checklist from his wildest dreams.

Over the past three months or so, Parker was named the Most Valuable Player of the NBA Finals. He played for the French national team in the FIBA European championships. In the highest tribute his home country can bestow upon a private citizen, he was inducted into the French Legion of Honor.

And yes, he also married a movie star in a little July shindig that every E! channel connoisseur in the known universe heard something about.

Other that that, it was a fairly lazy summer vacation for the Spurs' 25-year-old point guard.

"It was a small summer," Parker said, displaying a well-developed grasp of American sarcasm. "I didn't have that much to do."

Indeed, no Spurs player is happier about the arrival of another training camp than Parker.

He could use the break from his hectic offseason.

This camp finds Parker with just one tiny item atop his Spurs to-do list: Pick up where he left off last year.

Of course, even that won't be easy.

The last Spurs fans saw of Parker, he had just finished spearheading a four-game sweep of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals, sealing the team's fourth championship and stealing the MVP trophy from teammate Tim Duncan.

Parker averaged 24.5 points against the Cavs, shot an astounding 56.8 percent from the field and — in a complete reversal of the one knock against him — made 57.1 percent of his 3-point shots.

In short, he played perhaps the best basketball of his life, turning in a masterful four-game performance that served to lift his star into the stratosphere.

As a new season approaches, Parker — already knocking at the doorstep of NBA superstardom — is left to grapple with the question: Where does he possibly go from here?

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has one answer: Straight up.

Parker averaged 18.6 points and 5.5 assists last season but in Popovich's estimation has yet to reach his professional ceiling.

"He's improved every year that he's been here, and that's going to continue," Popovich said. "There's still more room for growth, and that's great."

Somewhere, the rest of the NBA shudders.

Parker's greatest asset always has been his speed and quickness. He always has possessed an uncanny — and at times indefensible — knack of getting to the basket.

The Spurs would like for Parker to continue to work on his mid-range jumper, which became a steady weapon for him in the playoffs last season.

If he were to one day blossom into a lethal 3-point shooter in the process, the Spurs wouldn't have a problem with that, either.

The most useful skill in Parker's personal toolbox this season, however, could be his sense of balance. It will certainly take as much to keep his newfound marriage and fame in equilibrium with his burgeoning basketball career.

Parker's teammates say they know better than to worry about his commitment to basketball.

After his prolonged courtship of actress Eva Longoria, he's become accustomed to being tabloid fodder.

"The thing Tony has always been great at is prioritizing basketball, making sure that's priority No. 1," guard Brent Barry said. "A lot of things off the court that could have become distractions to other young players, he's found a way to harness those things and keep them in check."

For now, Parker will respond to the distractions the way he always has.

By keeping himself busy.

He will work to hone his jump shot, to develop his leadership abilities. To become the quintessential point guard.

There will be no rest for him. Not even in training camp. Of this, he is certain.

"I'll rest when I retire," Parker said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100307.01C.SpursParker.en.34a5c3e.html

wildbill2u
10-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Can anyone explain why Parker doesn't draw more fouls? His game is predicated on driving into the lane against oafish big guys with POd guards trailing. He ought to lead the league in FTs attempted.

AFBlue
10-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Can anyone explain why Parker doesn't draw more fouls? His game is predicated on driving into the lane against oafish big guys with POd guards trailing. He ought to lead the league in FTs attempted.

1) He plays with Tim Duncan. While he's gotten a bigger share of the scoring load as he's improved each year, this is still Tim Duncan's team and he's still the first option on offense. If Tony were playing on a team like the Sixers, I'm sure he'd be a league leader in FT attempted.

2) He has improved his mid-range game. While Tony's bread and butter will always be his ability to get into the lane and finish in traffic, he has become more reliant on his ever-improving jumpshot. Most of the designed plays begin with a screen from a big, and most defenders come under the screen leaving Tony the option to take that mid-range jumper. Lately he's been taking advantage of it.

Bottom Line: Tony may not go to the charity stripe every time he touches the ball, but he's still an incredibly efficient scorer.

ducks
10-03-2007, 08:40 AM
"He's improved every year that he's been here, and that's going to continue," Popovich said. "There's still more room for growth, and that's great."

1Parker1
10-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Actually, I'm not sure how Parker is going fare this season, especially early on. Even though he's young, he played NBA basketball right to the last game of the season, played all summer long, etc. I'm sure all this will catch up to him at some point. Hopefully with Ginobili and Duncan rested they can make up for this.

1Parker1
10-03-2007, 09:40 AM
By the way is this the new beat writer?? He's good, just a little different than Ludden....though I do miss his writing.

thispego
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM
star treatment. he never got it before, he might start getting it now.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-03-2007, 10:37 AM
By the way is this the new beat writer?? He's good, just a little different than Ludden....though I do miss his writing.

Yes.

McDonald used to be the paper's UT beat writer.

Jimcs50
10-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Is he 25 already? Thought he was younger.

Whisky Dog
10-03-2007, 01:17 PM
The more Parker can be effective with the jump shot the better. It'll make getting to the rim easier when he has to and will extend his career by reducing the amount of contact he takes at the rim. I'm interested to see how he fares this season.

spursfan09
10-03-2007, 01:57 PM
It seemed like towards the end of playoffs he started getting a bunch of and 1's. So I think this year the refs will start showing him more respect.

SequSpur
10-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Ducks, we can fucking read, your dumbass doesn't need to highlight it for us.

Tony Parker is the best player in the NBA.

objective
10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
respect and star treatment is correct.

Parker almost never argues with officials, and I think it's hurt him in fouls called on his layup drives.

I can't remember him ever getting a technical for arguing with a ref in his whole career.

TMSKILZ
10-03-2007, 02:16 PM
How did Parker do when he playe din the FIBA games? Was his jump shot good or get bad?