PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Team enjoying training camp on its home turf

timvp
10-03-2007, 02:50 AM
Notebook: Team enjoying training camp on its home turf
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

The Spurs are conducting training camp in San Antonio for the first time in three years, and most of the players are happy they are.

Among the happiest is Tim Duncan, now the father of two.

“I love it,” Duncan said of having training camp at the team's practice facility in northwest San Antonio. “To be home and do what we want to do here and be able to have our facilities, rehab-wise, and be able to go home and see my family on a nightly basis means a lot.”

The Spurs went to France for their 2006 training camp and were on St. Thomas, in the U.S. Virgin Islands, for their 2005 training camp.

Though head coach Gregg Popovich values the cultural experience of training in such places, he recognized the need to train here this year.

“We thought it was appropriate this year because we had been doing it (overseas),” Popovich said. “I like both, but this year, I like this best because we've been on the road.

“Better to be here, but when we go overseas, we love it. It's a great chance for all the reasons we've stated before, but you can't do that every year,” he said. “That would wear you out.”

Ready for the grind: The first session of training camp lasted for two hours and 20 minutes, but the team's veteran players all knew what to expect and were ready for it.

Most of them have been working out at the team's facilities for weeks.

Duncan, the All-NBA power forward who is participating in his 11th Spurs camp, said he has learned how to be ready for the start of camp.

“It might be a little easier, understanding what you have to do and what kind of shape you have to be in and not pushing it too much, just pushing it enough,” Duncan said.

“We have a whole month of training camp here. I was able to work out throughout the summer and have a pretty decent base so far and have another month to work on getting in game shape. Understanding what it takes takes a little bit of the stress out of it.”

Observation post: Tuesday's first practice session was observed by a small group of visiting coaches, including former Milwaukee Bucks head coach Terry Stotts.

Quin Snyder, the former University of Missouri coach who will coach the Spurs' Austin Toros franchise in the National Basketball Development League, also was among those observing.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.100307_SpursNotes.EN.131a6051f.html