PDA

View Full Version : how good will Boston be?

hater
10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
I think they will be pretty good wondering what Spurs fans think

The Franchise
10-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I think they will be pretty good but will fall short because of no bench support.

Chris Childs
10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
They won't be good.

They will be an average team that will likey bow out in the first round or get swept in the second round. Just because they got KG and Gay Allen don't mean a damn thing. No PG, No Bench......I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't even make the playoffs.

real talk.

Solid D
10-03-2007, 10:53 AM
If they stay healthy, they will be very good. I don't think they can win a championship with Rondo initiating their offense or passing to the post. Rondo can defend well but offensively, the Celts need better floor leadership to keep the balance with all those scorers.

sa_butta
10-03-2007, 10:57 AM
I dont think they will play will to start off, because of the lack of team chemistry. I am confident they will make the playoffs and will be beat by Chicago.

TDMVPDPOY
10-03-2007, 11:22 AM
they will cruise out in the first round losing 4-0 to some scrub team

Chris Childs
10-03-2007, 11:26 AM
they will cruise out in the first round losing 4-0 to some scrub team

real talk :clap

hater
10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
They won't be good.

They will be an average team that will likey bow out in the first round or get swept in the second round. Just because they got KG and Gay Allen don't mean a damn thing. No PG, No Bench......I wouldn't be too surprised if they didn't even make the playoffs.

real talk.

let me remind you the Cavs made the finals with titty as their PG

rayray2k8
10-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I wonder how long it will take before we have celtic fans trolling in this forum.

Reggie Miller
10-03-2007, 01:47 PM
If someone actually registers as "CelticsDynasty," then I think it's safe to say that they don't get the joke...

The EC is so weak that the Celtics will probably make the playoffs and win at least one series. (Think about some of the Boston teams that made the postseason already in this decade.) The Celtics should be thinking more about 2008-09 at this point.

SRJ
10-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Chicago is the class of the East in the 2007-08 season.

mardigan
10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Celtics will have the best record in the East and have home court the whole way through. They will plow through lesser teams like Chicago and Cleveland in the playoffs. The only team that can will be able to beat them at years end (if the Celts stay healthy) will be the Pistons, thats it. Celts will lose in the Finals. Rondo is going to open up some eyes next year

SRJ
10-03-2007, 01:53 PM
Chicago a lesser team?

Chicago has youth, depth, and defense. Boston has three All-Stars, two of whom do many of the same things.

I like Boston, and they'll do some things, but Chicago's the team to beat in the East.

mardigan
10-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Chicago a lesser team?

Chicago has youth, depth, and defense. Boston has three All-Stars, two of whom do many of the same things.

I like Boston, and they'll do some things, but Chicago's the team to beat in the East.
No post scorer. No go to guy in the clutch. Undersized, overpaid center. No scoring off the bench other than Gordon. I think this team is way over hyped and just took a lot of people by surprise last year. I think they will fall off tremendously this year

Darkwaters
10-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Theres no option for "won't make the playoffs at all". While I doubt Boston actually misses the playoffs I think it's obvious that we've given them too much credit too early. It's hardly a forgone conclusion that they'll do ANYTHING. KG should be great and Pierce as well. But Ray Allen has some injury issues hes struggling with right now and the Celts are still hurting at probably the two most key positions: center and point. And their bench is counting on two rookies (Pruitt and Davis) to have standout careers from day 1. A lot of rookies start slow and finish strong or often times hit the "rookie wall" (especially with the much longer NBA season) so it's hard to count on them for anything in their first season. Yet, they're going to be key go-to guys in the second unit. Frankly, in the games where KG or Pierce is in foul trouble early I think you have to pencil in a loss. And that could be quite often considering how many shots they'll probably be forced to take every single game.

Now all that being said, I think they make the playoffs and lose in the second round to a team like Chicago. I think they'll be good, but they're hardly an elite team because they have no depth and one of their big 3 is a big question mark already (Allen).

nkdlunch
10-03-2007, 02:49 PM
C has stopped being a key position in the NBA for a long time now. Remember, it's the East we are talking about. A few months ago the strongest team in the East was the Cavs LMAO.

Celtics will surprise a lot of teams and go deep in playoffs but then the big stars will run out of gas.

BeerIsGood!
10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
C has stopped being a key position in the NBA for a long time now. Remember, it's the East we are talking about. A few months ago the strongest team in the East wast the Cavs LMAO.

Celtics will surprise a lot of teams and go deep in playoffs but then the big stars will run out of gas.

That's why 8 of the last 9 championships were won by either Shaq or Duncan.

nkdlunch
10-03-2007, 02:55 PM
That's why 8 of the last 9 championships were won by either Shaq or Duncan.

yeah, because Shaq and Duncan singlehandedly won the championships :rolleyes

BeerIsGood!
10-03-2007, 02:58 PM
yeah, because Shaq and Duncan singlehandedly won the championships :rolleyes

You think it's a coincidence that the two dominant centers of the last decade have led their teams to 8 of the last 9 titles? You think the C position has become less important over the last few years with that fact smacking you in the face? Delusion runs high in here sometimes.

nkdlunch
10-03-2007, 03:01 PM
it's no coincidence. It's 2 great teams we are talking about. Built championships teams. built around dominant players yes, but they did not win it singlehandedly.

Duncan is not a center BTW. Open your eyes.

the game has changed since the Laker years. Now a Center is not a key piece to a championship team.

barbacoataco
10-03-2007, 03:04 PM
i think the big question is what level Ray Allen will play at. If he is close to his former level, and everyone else is healthy, the Celtics should be competitive. A team with three scoring threats like Garnett, Pierce and Allen will win games. Also, having Garnett under the basket will make their defense better instantly. It will be interesting to see how it comes together for them.

The_Game
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Chicago a lesser team?

NO they freaking aren't

they have no inside threat AT ALL...their guards are good but not great. Boston have 3 stars and have a top 5 player in KG, top 15 in Pierce and top 20 in Allen. bulls have good defense but struggle to score against the better teams.

Celtics clearly have the best team in the east and have a good chance at winning it all as well. They along with the spurs, mavs and suns will be the main contenders.

Tippecanoe
10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
lets not forget the the atlantic division (as well as the whole eastern conference) blows. the celtics will have no problem making the playoffs as one of the higher seeds. contrary to what most people here believe, i think KG, ray allen, and pierce will mesh just fine. but they dont have any quality PGs and doc is the worst coach in all of sports.

BeerIsGood!
10-03-2007, 03:12 PM
it's no coincidence. It's 2 great teams we are talking about. Built championships teams. built around dominant players yes, but they did not win it singlehandedly.

the game has changed since the Laker years. Now a Center is not a key piece to a championship team.

Duncan not a center? Do you watch basketball? He may call himself a power forward all he wants, but he's a center. He plays on the block, posts up, anchors the defense from the post - all the ear marks of a center. David Robinson was more of a PF than Duncan has ever been no matter what the Spurs like to call him.

Nobody wins a championship in a team sport single handedly, but your stance that the center has become less important in recent years is ridiculous. There have been plenty of talented teams that couldn't win because they didn't have a great center. The Suns and Mavs of the last 8 years fit that bill to a tee. The center and PG are the most important players on the team, and if you have two greats at those positions then you'll be in good shape for a title run.

Solid D
10-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Sig potential.

barbacoataco
10-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Not only have Shaq and Duncan won 8 of the last 9, but the 2004 Pistons had Ben Wallace who was a great defensive center. In the playoffs Duncan often plays as a center since Robert Horry is often the PF.

I think the bigger picture is that ALL the championship teams-- Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, and Rockets--- had someone who drew a double team. This opens up the floor and creates open jump shots. In the Bulls case it was Jordan, while the rest were big men. Can Garnett fill this role for the Celtics?

Reggie Miller
10-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Nobody wins a championship in a team sport single handedly, but your stance that the center has become less important in recent years is ridiculous. There have been plenty of talented teams that couldn't win because they didn't have a great center. The Suns and Mavs of the last 8 years fit that bill to a tee. The center and PG are the most important players on the team, and if you have two greats at those positions then you'll be in good shape for a title run.

Actually, you can synthesize this particular thesis/antithesis.

Since there are few big men in the league today with a traditional low post game, many teams have denigrated the center position and have experimented with other offensive styles.

For that reason, the few remianing dominant big men around are able to dominate even more easily.

In other words, skilled big men are still critical to long-term success. However, there is an incorrect perception that this is no longer the case in some of the more benighted NBA outposts.

barbacoataco
10-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I think there is also a myth that if you have a dominant type 7 ft. center you will ultimately win a championship. The Blazers used this theory to justify signing Oden over Durant. Even though it seems true, not always. Patrick Ewing never won a championship, and DRobinson wouldn't have if Duncan wouldn't have joined him. Right there you have two of the better centers of the last 20 years. Also, Shaq has needed a player of the Kobe/Wade caliber to get a championship. Furthermore, the Jordan Bulls never had a great center. The 2004 Pistons had a center who only played defense. So it is easy to make generalizations, but they don't always hold true.

nkdlunch
10-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I think there is also a myth that if you have a dominant type 7 ft. center you will ultimately win a championship.

thank you, that was my point.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
The only team I can think of that made major roster changes and even got to the finals was the Lakers, and they did it by adding two hall of famers to a championship-caliber core with two existing hall of famers. So with four of the best players of all time on the same team they couldn't win it all. The Celtics, sorry to say, aren't even barking at the door. Even in the diluted East they'll be lucky to make it past the conference semis.

ChumpDumper
10-03-2007, 05:50 PM
After the Pistons, I like the Nets chances this season. [/kiss of death]

urunobili
10-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Chicago is the class of the East in the 2007-08 season.
Book it

Dirk Nowitzki
10-03-2007, 10:15 PM
No post scorer. No go to guy in the clutch. Undersized, overpaid center. No scoring off the bench other than Gordon. I think this team is way over hyped and just took a lot of people by surprise last year. I think they will fall off tremendously this year

They drafted that piece of shit Noah as well.

ajh18
10-03-2007, 10:17 PM
The only team I can think of that made major roster changes and even got to the finals was the Lakers, and they did it by adding two hall of famers to a championship-caliber core with two existing hall of famers. So with four of the best players of all time on the same team they couldn't win it all. The Celtics, sorry to say, aren't even barking at the door. Even in the diluted East they'll be lucky to make it past the conference semis.

The 2006 Heat made some pretty big roster changes...

Dirk Nowitzki
10-03-2007, 10:25 PM
In response to the thread, IF the Celts stay healthy and play team ball to their best abilities, I dont see them losing in the East. Bulls have nice decent talent but they lack inside scoring and a go to guy. No one even demands a fucking double team. Their D will keep them in games but that team is nothing special. Heat havent done a god damn thing other than signing Smush Parker. The Pistons made some nice moves but they lack a superstar as well plus they lost to much lesser talented team in the Cavs last year. The Cavs have Lebron but a healthy and clicking Boston team is MUCH better. The Nets will just be in the playoffs but do nothing special. Everyone else in the east will either be battling for a playoff seed or join the lottery.

Eddie House,James Posey, and possibly Glen Davis could be decent bench guys for them. If the fucking Cavs can make it to the Finals, why is it that Boston has a lesser chance? They have 3 of the top 20-25 players in the NBA. Their role players may not be sexy or special but they dont need to be. Guys like House and Posey just need to knock down shots.

Walter Craparita
10-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Spurs v. Boston finals would be a dream come true.

Duncan KG
Bowen Allen

damn :santahat

Like Dirk said...if the friken' cavs can make it to the finals LOL

Obstructed_View
10-04-2007, 03:46 AM
The 2006 Heat made some pretty big roster changes...
Yeah, Jason Williams for Damon Jones was a blockbuster. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-04-2007, 07:01 AM
If they stay healthy, they will be very good. I don't think they can win a championship with Rondo initiating their offense or passing to the post. Rondo can defend well but offensively, the Celts need better floor leadership to keep the balance with all those scorers.

On the money as usual, Solid D. :tu :)

If Doc had a clue he might do something interesting like make PP the point guard... Pierce could average 8+ assists passing to KG and Ray. However, Doc is an idiot, so probably not.

Also, no way I'd play the 3 stars together much until the 4th quarter, much like we do - I'd have a lot of Rondo/House getting it to KG in the post with Ray Ray waiting on the weak-side to hit open 3s, and a lot of PP driving and dishing to Ray, and some KG out there surrounded by 3 pt shooters. It'll be interesting to see how they use their guys, but their glaring weaknesses are obviously starting PG, and the bench.

hater
10-04-2007, 09:15 AM

you cannot compare the Western conference at that time with this sorry ass East.

The cavs made the finals, comeon. The Bulls have not proven anything in the last few years and they are the favorites? that's because the East sucks. So Boston has a good chance.

JamStone
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Why does the second choice in the poll assume the Spurs will be in the Finals next year?

hater
10-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Why does the second choice in the poll assume the Spurs will be in the Finals next year?

because that's the way we roll :smokin

Scola Trade
10-04-2007, 11:53 AM
If the 3 bigs stay healthy through playoffs, they'll win the Easter Conf. Book it!!

barbacoataco
10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
To mix this gumbo the right way, the celtics would need a good cook (coach.) A little garnett here, a little Pierce here, Ray Allen waiting around to pounce. Like someone else posted, waiting till the 4th quarter to put them on the court at the same time. But egos get in the way.

ChumpDumper
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Well, Doc has them shouting "Ubuntu!" when team huddles break up, so they have to be considered contenders. If they start doing Maori dances they will be favorites to win the whole thing.

Indazone
10-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Glen Davis could make some noise up there. What an incredible opportunity for this guy.

ajh18
10-04-2007, 11:13 PM
Yeah, Jason Williams for Damon Jones was a blockbuster. :lol

The Heat got williams, walker, posey, payton, and kapono. I'd sy that qualifies as a fairly big roster overhaul. In fact, it was one that many people said wouldn't work.

braeden0613
10-04-2007, 11:15 PM
average team...probably 5-8 seed

Deimosfobos
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Second round of the playoffs...

jman3000
10-04-2007, 11:26 PM
i havent read the thread so sorry if this is a repeat.

i think they'll win between 50-54 games... they have the talent for at least that.

but if one of those stars goes down for any length of time at all... i'd expect the wins to be upper 40's.

people marking them as the shizznit arent taking into account several factors that make good teams.

Obstructed_View
10-05-2007, 07:21 AM
The Heat got williams, walker, posey, payton, and kapono. I'd sy that qualifies as a fairly big roster overhaul. In fact, it was one that many people said wouldn't work.
For games started, it was certainly a big overhaul, as they shuffled lineups throughout the season. They are certainly the most unlikely NBA champ I've ever seen, and if we count them in the argument, then they are the only one that's ever done it. I still maintain that the difference between what Miami added to a 60 win team and what Boston has added to a 25 win team is significant.

Obstructed_View
10-05-2007, 07:22 AM
people marking them as the shizznit arent taking into account several factors that make good teams.
Like the fact that KG is not a factor that makes a good team.

JamStone
10-05-2007, 09:59 AM

How great was Derek Fisher as a floor leader? All he did was shoot open jumpers and dive on the floor on defense. How great were John Paxson, Steve Kerr, and BJ Armstrong as floor leaders?

I don't think the Celtics are going to win it all this year, but I don't think it's necessarily the point guard position that will hold them back.

I think it may take this season to learn to play with each other and how to win together through team chemistry. I think the lack of depth of quality post players in the front court that may hurt them in the playoffs. I don't think it's Rondo at the point that will prevent them from going deep in the playoffs.