PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Parker spending time in weight room

Spurs Brazil
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100307.BKNparkernote.en.13540d060.html

Spurs: Parker spending time in weight room

Web Posted: 10/03/2007 02:25 PM CDT

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Tony Parker's hectic summer has earned him a “Get Out of Practice” free card at Spurs training camp. But it isn't as nice as it sounds.

Parker, who spent part of last month playing with the French national team in the FIBA European championships, has been given the green light to skip all contact drills so far during camp. Instead, he has been assigned a grueling weight room regimen with strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt.

“Sometimes, I think that's even worse,” Parker said.

There is no timetable for Parker to participate in full team workouts, coach Gregg Popovich said.

The time off gives Parker a chance to fully rest the ankle he sprained while practicing with the French team in August. Parker says he still has some swelling but doesn't think the injury will limit him in the preseason.

“It's better and it's getting better every day,” he said.

At least the Spurs won't have to worry about Parker endangering himself in international play again for a while. Parker says he will take a two-year break from his national team, with an eye toward competing again at the 2009 European championships in Poland.

[email protected]

Spurs Brazil
10-03-2007, 03:24 PM
San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker will take 2-year hiatus from French national team

October 3, 2007

PARIS (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker will take a two-year hiatus from the French national team.

Parker said on his Web site Wednesday he needed time to rest and pledged to return to the team in time for the 2009 European championship in Poland.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It has been many years that I am playing more than 120 games a year," Parker said. "In the end, my body is at risk."

Parker said he made the decision after meeting Tuesday with his coach and teammates.

Parker led France to the quarterfinals of the European Basketball Championship in September, but the team failed to qualify for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Parker, who was born in Belgium and grew up in France, is scheduled to play when the Spurs open the season against Portland on Oct. 30.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqFO7rPP6rZYFW1cemIbZfSM0bYF?slug=ap-france-parker&prov=ap&type=lgns

barbacoataco
10-03-2007, 03:28 PM
I often wonder how basketball players left weights without ruining their shooting form. Usually when you lift weights it really srews with your shot, but they must have techniques for dealing with that. I don't really see why Parker needs to lift weights. His talent is his floor speed, and any weight he gains will slow him down. But I'm sure the Spurs trainers know what the're doing.

SequSpur
10-03-2007, 03:29 PM
omg breaking news... a professional athlete lifting weights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol

timvp
10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
So Parker's ankle is still hurt? I thought Bruno told me Parker was fine . . .

E20
10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
It never said anything about hurting, it says there is still some swelling and it's getting better everyday.

timvp
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
It never said anything about hurting, it says there is still some swelling and it's getting better everyday.Well, getting better usually indicates that it isn't 100% to begin with.

Solid D
10-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Locker room whispers regarding Tony's haitus with the French NT for the next 2 years...

("we were always standing around watching Tony try to score.")

thispego
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
yeah i remember Bruno saying something along those lines

polandprzem
10-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Pro's are hardly 100% alltheir careers

Someone said Poland?

Samr
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Wow. Aside from the ankle "injury," I think this is good news all-around. Parker is getting a breather from full contact (good). He's adding more muscle so he won't get thrown around in the pain (better). It's giving the Spurs an even better look at the potential backup pgs (best).

Sweet.

E20
10-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, getting better usually indicates that it isn't 100% to begin with.
I agree with that, whoever said it hurt?

freemeat
10-03-2007, 04:38 PM
It's giving the Spurs an even better look at the potential backup pgs (best).

Sweet.

Good point...I hadn't thought of that!

Beno is in a contract season, right? Maybe he's going to bring something to camp other than a hang-over.

barbacoataco
10-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Is it true that Beno could rise from the dead? That has only happened once in history, but Udrih could be the 2nd coming. Of what I don't know.

Bruno
10-03-2007, 04:44 PM

Maybe you should start a thread with as title :"Parker Wusses out, Again" :rolleyes

More seriously and to answer at your question, I don't think that Parker not playing at the training camp is because of his ankle.
Parker was very tired at the end of the Euro, Pop knew it and has said to him that he will give him a lot of rest during the training camp. Pop wanting to rest Parker is a reason why Spurs have invited a lot of guards at the training camp.
Pop has too said that putting Parker in the weight room was a priority. Parker never lift weight and Pop has said he needs to gain some muscle to avoid his knee troubles at the end of each season.

I told you again, Parker is healthy and fine. The swelling is likely related to the plane trip.

freemeat
10-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Is it true that Beno could rise from the dead? That has only happened once in history, but Udrih could be the 2nd coming. Of what I don't know.

Beno doesn't need to rise from the dead...he's been sleeping after a long two years of hardcore drinking and whoring.

It's too bad that the main task Pop has given Beno is to spot TP while he's lifting. Otherwise, we'd be hearing about "The New Udrih"!

He's ready to put every else to shame!

Bruno
10-03-2007, 05:15 PM
I've found the Ludden's article from January 2007 saying that Parker should spend more time in the weight room :

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040107.13C.BKNspurs.parker.3b58874.html

Parker said his hip feels fine, and the chronic tendinitis in his right knee, which also slowed him a month ago, isn't bothering him as much.

Still, the Spurs have tried to make Parker understand he needs to invest more time strengthening his body to prevent future problems, particularly as he gets older.

"Tony's never been diligent in the weight room," Popovich said. "I think with Tony I have to pay attention more to him than the other starters because he's a little bit of a laissez-faire guy. Whether that's being French or not, I'm not sure.

"I don't know if it's his background basketball-wise, but he needs a little bit more attention from me than most other people do as far as preparation for games and seasons and that kind of thing."

Said Parker: "I'm not a big fan of the weight room. But I'll always do at least the minimum."

Freeze
10-03-2007, 07:28 PM
« A break with the national team » (http://www.tp9.net/en/itw.php?id=205)

Tony, you are back today on the floor of the San Antonio Spurs’s practice facility. Isn’t this too difficult ?

No, it is ok. I am happy to see everyone again. Yesterday was media day and the atmosphere was extremely relaxed. I had a chance to talk with Pop (Gregg Popovich) about the recent eurobasket. He was clear when he said that I won’t be participating in the qualification, next September, for the Euro 2009. He wants me take a rest, much like Manu Ginobili did this summer by not playing the tournament of the Americas, tournament that was the Olympic Games qualifier. Of course, he has no problem with me playing the Euro 2009 in Poland. I will thus have a two years hiatus from the national team.

How do you take this decision ?

They know that the national team is something special for me but they think it is now the best time for me to take a much deserved break and rest my body. It has been many years that I am playing more than 120 games a year. In the end, my body is at risk and Pop does not want to take any risk with me. At least now, everyone knows what the future is about for me and the national team.

How do you foresee the next NBA season ?

To be honest, it still seems far away (San Antonio will play its first game on October 30 against Portland). We will slowly get up to speed and as usual the bench players will play most of the preseason games. Once we get closer to October 30 we will feel the pressure rise a bit but not before.

Let’s talk about the Euro. With a few weeks behind it, how did you live the attacks against your coach Claude Bergeaud ?

You have the right to criticize him. When you have a poor performance it is normal for the media to jump on you but you have no right to treat Claude like a dog. This irritates me. In a minute, Claude became the worst coach in France. I feel like people forgot about our bronze medal at the Euro in 2005. France did not have a medal in a European competition for more than 50 years. It is much the same for the world championships 2006. It was the first time in 20 years that France participated in the competition. I have nothing against critics as long as they help you build from them. Today, this is far from being the case.

All the players defended Claude Bergeaud… (he cuts me)

The coach has a certain responsibility in this loss but what do you do with the players ? It is not Claude who was on the court. You have to admit that the players were not playing well but I still believe that this team was better than the one from 2005.

You are now the boss of this national team. To be captain again after 2003 is not something that attracts you ?

No, I did not change my mind. In my way of talking and acting on the court, I am the “leader” of this team. We thus have to give more importance to other players. We need not to focus on the same player all the time. This does not keep me from talking to the other players. Following the loss against Russia in the quarter finals I had a short discussion in my room with my teammates. Claude was not in attendance. With Boris we wanted to get everyone involved. People don’t know this but we often had meetings between us, the players.

Two days after the eighth place you left to go back to San Antonio. Did you see any of your teammates ?

Yes, I had talked to Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Chip Engelland (Tony’s shooting coach) and R.C. Bufford (General Manager). They were all disappointed for me but they’ve managed to make fun of me rather quickly. They were extremely happy to say that it was a good thing for San Antonio and that I will be able to rest next summer.

Physically, how did you feel after this Euro ?

I was tired. We had played a lot of games and on top of that we had daily practices. The rhythm was high but I gave everything I had. I was totally out for the last game against Slovenia (Tony scored 31 points). I did not want to show anything to the Slovenian and took it upon me. Finally, I did much like my teammates. We were all in the same shape but despite the fatigue and aches and pains we gave 100%.

ata
10-04-2007, 01:37 AM
It looks like Parker pulled out Beno :smokin

Haven't heard anything about Parker's ankle during EC.
BTW: What kind of ankle injury allows a player to play whole championship and doesn't heal in 6 weeks?

mavs>spurs2
10-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Wow Tony all this lifting might get your bench up to about 150 :lol

WalterBenitez
10-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Is TP fat or so? what the hell is Eva cooking?

ploto
10-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I keep reading two years off from the national team, but it is actually only one summmer. He played in 2007 Eurobasket and he is still considering 2009 Eurobasket. That equals one summer off skipping a really low level qualifier to get back to Eurobasket. Whoopee!