PDA

View Full Version : For true Spurs fans(not sheister bandwagoning statboy AJ homers):Remembering a Leader

whottt
10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
First...a dash of context:

Mario Elie was a Rocket who played for the Spurs for two years. Why don't we honor Dominique Wilkins or Moses Malone?

Give Elie his due, of course, but people in the organization will name AJ first.

And my personal favorite...

Note the throwing of under the bus:

It's laughable when people try to say someone else (for example Mario Elie) was more of an emotional leader for the Spurs during the 1999 season. AJ was far and away the emotional leader. Moreso than Elie. Moreso than Pop. Moreso than anyone you want to name on the Spurs..

The note the usage of the laying out of the bus crushed corpse for AJ to step on...thus elevating:

I'm not being like anything. I'm just trying to interject some reality to the AJ bashfest you and whottt are having.

If you have a problem with AJ's jersey being retired, you have a problem with Pop, Peter Holt, David Robinson, timvp, Sean Elliott, Mario Elie, the 1999 championship, gumbo and the current offense the Spurs run.

Now for the reality as it was actually occurring...when buttholes clenched, as they usually did back then, and a true leader was needed

Because my friends...you can have all the leaders, with all the mouth, talking all the shit, yelling at everyone about what they should be doing...

But sooner or later...some motherfucker is going to have to step up and knock down that fucking shot.

And with that in mind I give you:

Walking the talk

Fiery Elie has shown San Antonio the way
Click here for more on this story
Posted: Friday June 18, 1999 02:22 PM

Tough guy: Mario Elie has given the Spurs a newfound edge with his experience and demeanor. AP

By John Donovan, CNN/SI

SAN ANTONIO -- Mario Elie has a touch of gray in his stubble, a few hard years on his broad face.

He isn't so much talking at these NBA Finals as he's simply holding court. He's a teacher in this classroom, a historian, a basketball expert. He is the voice of reason in a hyped-up, over-exposed, made-for-TV extravaganza.

Elie is one man here who knows what is involved in winning an NBA championship. He did it twice as a member of the Houston Rockets earlier this decade, and he's spent much of the year clueing in his Spurs teammates on how it's done.

Now, with the Spurs on the verge of something great, Elie wants to make sure his guys don't forget his lessons.

"I'm always telling them, 'We're in the Finals now,'" says Elie, slumped comfortably in a courtside chair at the Alamodome after a practice. "We can't let up now."

The Spurs are a collection of young talent and old talent, and Elie knows exactly where he fits in that mix. He is 35 years old. He's played in Europe and in the CBA and bounced around the NBA, first in Golden State, then a stop in Portland, followed by his five-year stint in Houston and now his stay in San Antonio.

He's been there and done that. All of it.

And that's why Elie was brought into San Antonio in the first place. He was signed to provide leadership, show the youngsters about hard work -- and to help the Spurs get to the NBA Finals.

If game jerseys had sleeves, you'd know where to find Elie's heart. It's there for all to see.

Late in Game 1, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich pulled Elie in favor of Jaren Jackson. Elie steamed about it, though his displeasure was salved when Jackson nailed three 3-pointers in the fourth quarter to seal the Spurs' win.

"Mario's never happy," said point guard Avery Johnson. "Only time he is happy is maybe if you bring him some food at night, his favorite -- fried shrimp or something.

"But other than that, he's never happy. He's not happy to start the game, to come out of the game. That's something that we've had to deal with. And we like it that way."

Johnson and Elie both live in Sugarland Texas, and they spend time together in the off-season. After Elie became a free-agent this off-season, Johnson suggested to the Spurs that they go after his friend.

They did -- and the Spurs got off to a 6-8 start.

That's when Elie stepped in.

"I challenged our big guys. I told them 'As they go, we go,'" Elie said. "I said 'You guys are not playing up to your capabilities.' I said what I said. And it was the truth."

At one point, center David Robinson asked Johnson why Elie was so mad. He even wondered whether Elie was really happy in San Antonio.

Johnson told Robinson that Elie was hacked off because Robinson wasn't playing well.

"Avery told him, just like that," Elie said. "But we turned it around because of them [Robinson and Tim Duncan]. Tim took it to another level, and Dave stepped back and became the second man behind Tim."

Since the slow start, the Spurs have won 43 of their last 49 -- including 11 straight in the playoffs. More than anyone else on the team, Elie is credited with turning the previously "soft" Spurs into the power that they are.

"They have more fire, and they are hungry now," said the Knicks' Latrell Sprewell, who often played against the old Spurs when he was with Golden State. "They are playing with a confidence now that I hadn't seen when I was on the West Coast."

Elie averaged only 9.7 points a game this season. But he has been a defensive force all along, and his hard-nosed play on New York's Allan Houston in Game 1 was a big reason the Spurs won.

He was there right after Game 1, too, telling his team that it was only one game, and that the Knicks would not go quietly.

Now, of course, the Spurs are listening.

And so is everyone else.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1999/playoffs/news/1999/06/18/fcp_elie/

And furthermore:

http://www.canoe.ca/NBAPlayoffs99/may30_elie.html

When Elie's on his game, he's super Mario
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- For all the talk about Tim Duncan and David Robinson, Mario Elie probably has done as much as any player to transform the San Antonio Spurs from a good team to a title contender.
He's a tough defender, he's played on two NBA championship teams in Houston and, most of all, he's brought an attitude to a team that needed one.
Elie was a major factor in holding down Isaiah Rider in San Antonio's 80-76 victory over Portland Saturday in Game 1 of the Western Conference final, and he had a crucial drive to the basket, as well as two important, free throws down the stretch.
With the experience that comes from nine previous playoff appearances, he keeps his team from ever becoming complacent.

Game 2 tonight, he tells his teammates, "will be the toughest game of the series."
"No. 1, he stays angry," Avery Johnson said. "He's one of the angriest guys on the court. On the court, he has an edge, he's bitter about a lot of things. He stays mad all the time and we kind of needed that little edge."
Coach Gregg Popovich used the same word when describing Elie's importance.
"He adds an edge to your team. He really helps you create a personality, a toughness," Popovich said. "He's somebody who doesn't accept losing. If we lose a game, he doesn't want to talk any of us. We're all bums, and that's kind of good."

Johnson said it's no coincidence San Antonio got rolling after a 6-8 start when Elie's role grew.
"We finally got Mario into the rotation," Johnson said, "and we took off from there."
Elie saw a blandness on his new team after he signed with a Spurs as a free agent before this season began.
"I thought at first when I got here that we were sort of a corporate team, just punch in and have no fun," he said.
For Elie, who had to claw his way up to the NBA by playing in Europe and the Continental Basketball Association, there was no excuse for just going through the motions.
"We had a lot of laid-back guys, and that's just not my personality," he said. "I just try to bring some fun, excitement, some chest bumping, some high-fiving, just having fun and enjoying the game. It seems like now our guys are showing a lot of emotion."
They will need it tonight against a Blazer team that remains confident even though it has lost four of five from San Antonio this season, a confidence that comes from playing the Spurs close in each loss.
Rider, who came to practice at the Alamodome on Sunday wearing a straw cowboy hat that looked as if somebody bit a hole in the brim, noted that Portland lost by just four points Saturday despite a sub-par performance by almost everyone on the team except Rasheed Wallace.
"What's so funny is we're still confident we can beat this team," Rider said. "We haven't played well at all against this team, not for 48 minutes. We feel if we play good, we'll be fine."
Wallace, whose size, long arms, jumping ability and quickness create a serious matchup problem for San Antonio, scored a career playoff-high 28 points in Game 1, but no other Blazer managed more than Rider's 13.
Portland also committed 16 turnovers, twice as many as the Spurs.
"For us to have a chance to win, we need other guys to step up and have good games also," Blazers coach Mike Dunleavy said. "That's the good thing about our team. They could be over there worrying about Rasheed all day long and it's not Rasheed tomorrow, its somebody else. That's been the strength of our team all year long. You don't necessarily know who to prepare for, who it can be on any night."
The Spurs didn't think much of their game Saturday, either. They believe they relied too much on Duncan and Robinson, who scored 21 points apiece.
"Basically, we've got to shoot the ball better," Robinson said. "We shoot 40 per cent it's going to be tough for us to put together a good game."
Still, San Antonio was good enough for its sixth straight win in the playoffs. Three more, and the Spurs have their first trip to the NBA finals.
"We had five days off. We weren't really in-synch the way we should have been," Johnson said. "But whether you win ugly, whether you win pretty, it really doesn't matter during this time of the year, as long as you win."

In rememberance of the man who truly lead the Spurs to the promised land:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGDNHugl_U&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lkeeQcFw9E&mode=related&search=

For 17, the number that e'er should be retired, for it wears greatness, like greatness wears it :smokin

Don't worry...you can count whottt to keep pounding that bus..er...rock.

E20
10-03-2007, 05:18 PM
whottt,

calm down, it's only basketball.

whottt
10-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I don't care if you get David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Gregg Poppovich and the all knowing ghost of Angelo Drossos up here telling me AJ was the guy who did it...

They'd be wrong about that.

Becuase I was freaking Spurfan before that...and I know, we were soft choking bitches with AJ leading us...and so was Gregg Poppovich.

If they can't see it...their problem.

Mario was the guy who did it. Period.

End of argument.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Are you in love with seeing yourself in print so much that you needed a new thread? :lol

whottt
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
whottt,

calm down, it's only basketball.

And your mother was only a mother....

timvp
Just because you got repeatedly owned in the AJ thread doesn't mean you need to start a new thread. New thread, same result.

Now I guess I'll actually read your post . . .

E20
:lol

SRJ
10-03-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't deny that Mario Elie had a huge impact on the team's psyche, how could I? I saw for myself that the Spurs were a different team in 1999. But two years out of a long career does not a Spur make.

If anything, Elie reinforced the type of attitude AJ had. One guy saying it is just one guy saying it. Two guys saying it starts a movement.

Had he played here as long as Avery played here, I'd be fine with the retirement of #17 as well.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I don't care if you get David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Gregg Poppovich and the all knowing ghost of Angelo Drossos up here telling me AJ was the guy who did it...

They'd be wrong about that.

Becuase I was freaking Spurfan before that...and I know, we were soft choking bitches with AJ leading us...and so was Gregg Poppovich.

If they can't see it...their problem.

Mario was the guy who did it. Period.

End of argument.
I agree. The idea that AJ did anything other than finally find a way to motivate David Robinson out of being a playoff doormat is revisionist. Even my wife knows who the leader of the '99 team is, and she only follows the Spurs grudgingly.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
For once, just once, I wish an "End of argument" from whottt would actually come to fruition.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
I don't deny that Mario Elie had a huge impact on the team's psyche, how could I? I saw for myself that the Spurs were a different team in 1999. But two years out of a long career does not a Spur make.

If anything, Elie reinforced the type of attitude AJ had. One guy saying it is just one guy saying it. Two guys saying it starts a movement.

Had he played here as long as Avery played here, I'd be fine with the retirement of #17 as well.
Um, I seem to recall the other guys on the team getting tired of AJ and five-oh constantly trying to convert them to Christianity. Again: Revisionist.

Kori Ellis
10-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Whottt makes me laugh harder than anyone when he gets flipped into Crazy Whottt mode.

Thank goodness the season is almost here. So we can have arguments about stuff that matters :lol

SRJ
10-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Um, I seem to recall the other guys on the team getting tired of AJ and five-oh constantly trying to convert them to Christianity. Again: Revisionist.

Um, who the fuck are you that you recall how annoyed they all were?

ChumpDumper
10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Shyster

Main Entry:
shy·ster Listen to the pronunciation of shyster
Pronunciation:
\ˈshīs-tər\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
probably from German Scheisser, literally, defecator
Date:

: a person who is professionally unscrupulous especially in the practice of law or politics : pettifoggerThis isn't spelling smack. I actually had to look it up because I wasn't sure. I posted it because it is now my great hope that whottt uses the word "pettifogger" in the near future.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Um, who the fuck are you that you recall how annoyed they all were?
Um, I'm someone who the fuck knows how to read a newspaper or listen to the radio. I'm not someone who makes shit up about AJ just because he hit a fifteen footer for a fucking change.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I posted it because it is now my great hope that whottt uses the word "pettifogger" in the near future.
:lmao :lmao

Gotta wipe Pepsi off the monitor now. Holy crap. :lol

timvp
10-03-2007, 05:42 PM
First of all, those who read the other thread will see that whottt admitted to liking Dallas more than the Spurs. How can this Dallas homer tell Spurs fans who should or shouldn't have their number retired? He needs to stick to his real and admitted favorite team.

Secondly, why must he pull an attention whore move and start a new thread? He was getting his azz handed to him in the old thread. I guess he's going to call in his local Victoria posters to come prop him up in a new thread so he won't feel completely owned. Not only did he lose a bet to timvp regarding AJ, he gets obliterated for his poor takes on top of it.

In the other thread, whottt called David Robinson soft and a choker in his attempt to trash AJ. Then he claimed that AJ's lack of three-point shooting was a championship killer. When it was pointed out that multiple championship teams won titles without making more than two three pointers in their entire playoff run, he backtracked like the Dallas fan he is.

Now he thinks some weak bolding of some Elie fluff pieces will distract those from venturing into the other thread where his ownage was utterly embarrassing for fellow Dallas fans.

Elie is one man here who knows what is involved in winning an NBA championship. He did it twice as a member of the Houston Rockets earlier this decade, and he's spent much of the year clueing in his Spurs teammates on how it's done. :lmao @ whottt bolding that quote. He expected AJ, Robinson or Duncan to know how to win championships before they ever won a championship?

Classic.

After Elie became a free-agent this off-season, Johnson suggested to the Spurs that they go after his friend. Why wasn't this bolded? By propping Elie, you are basically propping AJ's recruiting skills. Which is still a skill.

Even more reason to raise that number to the rafters.

In rememberance of the man who truly lead the Spurs to the promised land:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAGD...related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lke...related&search=You are a disgrace to fans of the Spurs who like Dallas teams more.

How can you say Mario freakin' Elie "truly lead" the Spurs to the 1999 championship. The two players who "truly lead" the Spurs to the championship were David Robinson and Tim Duncan. Elie, much like AJ, was just along for the ride.

I don't know why you suddenly hate David Robinson. You used to be a fan but now you call him soft and a choker. Then you say it was Elie who "truly lead" the Spurs.

David Robinson and Tim Duncan deserve better.

SRJ
10-03-2007, 05:43 PM
I made shit up now?

You're whott plus spelling, minus ellipses.

whottt
10-03-2007, 05:44 PM

No no no no no no...

AJ was like a mosquito...because he talked a bunch of shit, got in guys faces knew it all...

But he never did Jack shit on the court...

Thus he was annoying pest that only made losing suck worse...

Mario Elie OTOH, talked a bunch of shit, got in guys faces, and knew it all...

Plus he fucking knocked shots when it matters...and that was what was most needed.

We don't win without Mario...period. If you want to give AJ credit for bringing in Mario...fine. But Mario was the catalyst.

And when he left we became soft choking bitches again...

Until we got a similar guy who called himself Jack...it wasn't rememberance...it was lightning striking twice...with guys who could hit those damn shots.

timvp
10-03-2007, 05:47 PM
And when he left we became soft choking bitches again...There he goes again.

Lame.

whottt
10-03-2007, 05:49 PM
For 17, the number that e'er should be retired, for it wears greatness, like greatness wears it

It does get boring being 35 laps ahead of everyone else...

Obstructed_View
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
I made shit up now?

You're whott plus spelling, minus ellipses.
No, you implied that I made shit up. I just said you are being revisionist. There were reports (plural) that guys in the locker room were getting tired of AJ trying to hold prayer meetings on the bus and in the locker room. Perhaps that was earlier or later than '99, though. I do remember the reports though.

AJ was still the captain, as he had been for a number of years, but Elie was the de-facto leader of that squad during the championship run. Since you are arguing that AJ's body of work, rather than his contribution to the championship team, is why you think he should have his number retired, then I really have no argument with you beyond what I perceived as an unintentional misrepresentation of the mood of the team.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 05:53 PM
This isn't spelling smack. I actually had to look it up because I wasn't sure. I posted it because it is now my great hope that whottt uses the word "pettifogger" in the near future.

My firm handled a case not too long ago in which a judge on the Fifth Circuit issued an order accusing opposing counsel of engaging in pettifoggery.

I had to look it up.

timvp
10-03-2007, 05:54 PM
It does get boring watching Dancing With Stars 35 times a week...

SRJ
10-03-2007, 06:03 PM
No, you implied that I made shit up. I just said you are being revisionist.

Where below is the revisionism?

As to the reports you read, I don't recall them. I'm not saying that I did not read those reports - I may have and they left no impression upon me. My filter is different from yours, clearly.

whott remark withdrawn.

Kamnik
10-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Whottt makes me laugh harder than anyone when he gets flipped into Crazy Whottt mode.
:lol

I will for ever remember how he tried to persuade me and a bunch of others how America is 1000x more diverse than Europe. (being dead serious)

I could dislike his ignorat self but i just love to see him get owned by timvp in every possible thread. :toast

Obstructed_View
10-03-2007, 06:08 PM
whott remark withdrawn.
That's all I was shooting for. It pains me enough having to agree with him.

SRJ
10-03-2007, 06:10 PM
That's all I was shooting for. It pains me enough having to agree with him.

:lmao

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Until we got a similar guy who called himself Jack...it wasn't rememberance...it was lightning striking twice...with guys who could hit those damn shots.

Which, of course, explains both 2005 and 2007.

saporvida
10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
i still think aj's a joke. riding coat tails is all i saw aj doing in his tenure. it doesn't take 10 yrs to motivate a friend, especially not for bball. all you gotta do is shit talk them and they strive to get better.

anyhow, like i have stated all along. aj is mediocre and def not worthy of flying high in the rafters of the at&t building.

whottt
10-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Which, of course, explains both 2005 and 2007.

By then you had a solid core, 3 key returning players...not to mention that Horry guy. Who also has a habit of hitting shots...not that that's important or anything.

whottt
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I love timvp because I hate America :toast

Well said, ass.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 06:35 PM
By then you had a solid core, 3 key returning players...not to mention that Horry guy. Who also has a habit of hitting shots...not that that's important or anything.

But I thought it was Mario Elie's leadership and Stephen Jackson's leadership that made a solid core into a championship winner. Now you're saying that a solid core with 3 (or 4) key returning players and a guy who hits big shots is actually enough.

Which of those is your argument?

whottt
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Where below is the revisionism?

As to the reports you read, I don't recall them. I'm not saying that I did not read those reports - I may have and they left no impression upon me. My filter is different from yours, clearly.

whott remark withdrawn.

Pssst...

Slick, for a guy who likes to run spelling smack...might be a good idea for you to spell my name correctly...don't you dare say it's typo.

Anyway...spelling smack instantly marks you as the worst kind of loser on a message board...I'd be willing to bet I have a better vocabulary and grammar skills than you, if it were put to the test, not to mention a better education...

I can tell by your pomous ass blog that you seem to think is cutting edge but really reads like third grade stat analysis that you are in fact...a snob with an undeservedly high opinon of his own limited analytical skills...

You must feel pretty inferior if you think a message board post is indicative of formal writing ability...

IOW, you're a loser, it's a message board, I have a wireless keyboard, and AJ didn't have J.

Kamnik
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Well said, ass.

I hate ignorant people from America, not America!

Guess what.... i hate ignorant people from elsewhere too! :toast

And i dont like timvp any more than others... i just like the part of him owning you in every second thread on ST. :clap

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 06:37 PM
I'm not even sure why I'm bothering here -- I can see this one turning into Robert Horry as a first-ballot, no-brainer Hall of Famer before this thread is done.

No rafters for Avery Johnson, but certain enshrinement for Robert Horry (who will likely never have his number retired by any franchise).

I'm also sure we couldn't have had any of these arguments in that other thread.

Brutalis
10-03-2007, 06:39 PM
AJ is bullshit. He was no more productive than Brent fucking Barry. You long time Spurs fans (like me) hump this dude for no reason even after he stole our style and everything and gave it to the Mavs. So we reward his shitty play and theft by retiring his number.

Yeah real classy.

mookie2001

And i dont like timvp any more than others... i just like the part of him owning you in every second thread on ST. :clapso then youre with smeagol

are you against the 2nd ammendment too?

whottt

And i dont like timvp any more than others... i just like the part of him owning you in every second thread on ST. :clap

The funny thing is you run of the mill Euros don't have a clue why you are offensive to my American sensibilities...while I know exactly why I am offensive to you...and derive great pleasure from it.

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
The funny thing is you run of the mill Euros don't have a clue why you are offensive to my American sensibilities...while I know exactly why I am offensive to you...and derive great pleasure from it.
And fellow Americans who don't like fitting the stereotype can only shake their heads, look skyward and say, "Why? Why? Why do you do this?", asking <Insert deity> for a reason that idiots like you are allowed to communicate.

Kamnik
10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
so then youre with smeagol

are you against the 2nd ammendment too?

dont know what smeagol is saying about whott or anything (remember his nickname but not what he writes)

2nd ammendment? that crap about every person be allowed to have weapons?

yeah... i believe that is simply retarded law

whottt
10-03-2007, 06:47 PM
But I thought it was Mario Elie's leadership and Stephen Jackson's leadership that made a solid core into a championship winner. Now you're saying that a solid core with 3 (or 4) key returning players and a guy who hits big shots is actually enough.

Which of those is your argument?

I'm saying Robert Horry, Mario Elie and Stephen Jackson could all hit shots...

While AJ couldn't hit hte fucking side of a barn...no matter how much of a fucking bossy annoying know it all he was..er is.

whottt
10-03-2007, 06:48 PM
And fellow Americans who don't like fitting the stereotype can only shake their heads, look skyward and say, "Why? Why? Why do you do this?", asking <Insert deity> for a reason that idiots like you are allowed to communicate.

And I'd say you have no idea who founded this country...I promise you, it wasn't a bunch of guys sucking dicks...

Kamnik
10-03-2007, 06:48 PM

What.... im offensive if i dont agree with anything presumably american?

Anyways, i admit i dont know many things.... unlike you.

Per say before i met you i never realised trailors have internet connection in USA. :toast

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
even after he stole our style and everything and gave it to the Mavs.

I wasn't aware that those things were trade secrets -- why is AJ a traitor, but someone like Mike Brown or P.J. Carlesimo isn't? Should A.J. have been made to never take a job in the NBA until he either got a job with the Spurs or promised to approach the game from an entirely different philosophical standpoint?

If anything, his plaigarism of the Spurs' approach to think is suggestive of the fact that AJ has a deep respect for Pop and the Spurs' organization.

As a competitor, he's entitled to use whatever he wishes in his effort to be successful -- almost every coach in every sport has drawn his philosophical approach to his game from other coaches and organizations; almost every coach in every sport plaigarizes the things that work for other teams. It's not as if AJ is somehow the first person to ever copy a successful system and then try to beat its innovator using that system.

The absolute last reason to contest the retirement of AJ's jersey, it seems to me, is the fact that he's coaching the Mavericks.

Kamnik
10-03-2007, 06:51 PM
And I'd say you have no idea who founded this country...I promise you, it wasn't a bunch of guys sucking dicks...

:lol :lol :lol

Thats funny.... even though i dont think you realise how many of most famous people in world in the past sucked on things. :reading

SRJ
10-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Pssst...

Slick, for a guy who likes to run spelling smack...might be a good idea for you to spell my name correctly...don't you dare say it's typo.

How can I be expected to spell a non-existent word correctly? It could be whut, what, or hwat for all I know.

Anyway...spelling smack instantly marks you as the worst kind of loser on a message board...I'd be willing to bet I have a better vocabulary and grammar skills than you, if it were put to the test, not to mention a better education...

Where is my spelling smack? Or is this another whottt (got it right, happy?) strawman?

I can tell by your pomous ass blog that you seem to think is cutting edge but really reads like third grade stat analysis that you are in fact...a snob with an undeservedly high opinon of his own limited analytical skills...

The fact that you hate it only endorses its quality.

You must feel pretty inferior if you think a message board post is indicative of formal writing ability...

Say, will you be my analyst?

IOW, you're a loser, it's a message board, I have a wireless keyboard, and AJ didn't have J.

You are bad ass, my friend.

whottt
10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
What.... im offensive if i dont agree with anything presumably american?

Anyways, i admit i dont know many things.... unlike you.

Let me tell what you don't know....

#1. You feel inferior...main problem.
#2. You don't realize movies aren't real.

Per say before i met you i never realised trailors have internet connection in USA. :toast

Only in America babyyyyyyyy.

What I realize is that all I have to do...is act like you, and your own hatred will begin to validate your bigoted stereotypical view of my country...

It's like taking candy from a baby.

Kamnik
10-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Let me tell what you don't know....

#1. You feel inferior...main problem.
#2. You don't realize movies aren't real.

1# Sorry but i would need to go broke, loose my legs, get castrated and move to central Africa to feel inferior to you.

And if you think about America in general... many countries in Europe have a much better living enviroment and standard than USA. I live in one at the moment per say.

2# Sorry again, but i dont watch to hollywood movies.
(few good exceptions)

And if i would watch them and believed they were real i would really feel inferior, which i dont. :toast

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm saying Robert Horry, Mario Elie and Stephen Jackson could all hit shots...

While AJ couldn't hit hte fucking side of a barn...no matter how much of a fucking bossy annoying know it all he was..er is.

But that's an entirely different argument -- not surprisingly, I guess.

Of course, the immediate counter is: under a minute to play on June 25, 1999 at Madison Square Garden.

It's also useful to note, I suppose, that AJ's field goal percentage in the 1999 playoffs was better than the field goal percentages rolled up by Robert Horry in 2005, Mario Elie in 1999, and Stephen Jackson in 2003:

FG%
49% -- Johnson, 1999
45% -- Horry, 2005
41% -- Jackson, 2003
38% -- Elie, 1999

Now, I can hear your argument -- but AJ didn't shoot as much as those guys, so it's no wonder that he had a higher FG%. Wrong again:

Field Goal Attempts per Game
11.0 -- Johnson, 1999
10.9 -- Jackson, 2003
7.1 -- Horry, 2005
6.6 -- Elie, 1999

About the only thing the guys you've mentioned did more successfully than AJ was hit 3's, although in the 1999 playoffs, AJ hit 1 three pointer and Mario Elie hit a grand total of 8. Comparing AJ's numbers of threes to those rolled up by Robert Horry or Stephen Jackson is like comparing Tim Duncan's rebounding numbers to Beno Udrih's; there is something to be said for a guy who knew his limitations as a player and didn't try to do things he couldn't.

Even without the 3's, AJ missed being out on the best scorer in that bunch by a whisker:

Scoring Averages
12.8 -- Jackson, 2003
12.6 -- Johnson, 1999
9.3 -- Horry, 2005
7.9 -- Elie, 1999

Given all of those truths, I'm still sure that I have no idea what you're trying to argue here.

(cue some personal attack and then a wholly unrelated diatribe)

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:17 PM
1# Sorry but i would need to go broke, loose my legs, get castrated and move to central Africa to feel inferior to you.

I love it...please, now call me arrogant and racist to top it off.

And if you think about America in general... many countries in Europe have a much better living enviroment and standard than USA. I live in one at the moment per say.

Horseshit(the real American kind, you know from John Wayne's horse)...I saw Borat...don't even go there bitch.

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:19 PM
AJ>Horry

Got it...

How many times has Horry been cut again?

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:22 PM
addendum:

AJ could shoot

Lies, damn lies, and stats...

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 07:24 PM
AJ>HorryGot it...

Not my argument, but a decent attempt on your part to change the topic in mid-stream.

You said that what differentiates Avery Johnson from Mario Elie, Robert Horry, and Stephen Jackson was the fact that the latter 3 "could all hit shots." That's your argument, not mine. I countered your argument by showing that, statistically speaking, your argument had some holes.

Since you're such a big proponent of statistics, I figured that would appeal to your supposed superior analytical abilities -- obviously, I've discovered that you believe in statistics except when statistics don't support your argument, in which case your chosen strategy is just to rip anyone who disagrees with you by mischaracterizing their arguments. Good to know.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Lies, damn lies, and stats...

Unless, of course, those stats support your argument. See, e.g., whottt arguing that Robert Horry's playoff stats make him a Hall of Famer.

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:26 PM
Not my argument, but a decent attempt on your part to change the topic in mid-stream.

You said that what differentiates Avery Johnson from Mario Elie, Robert Horry, and Stephen Jackson was the fact that the latter 3 "could all hit shots." That's your argument, not mine. I countered your argument by showing that, statistically speaking, your argument had some holes.

Since you're such a big proponent of statistics, I figured that would appeal to your supposed superior analytical abilities -- obviously, I've discovered that you believe in statistics except when statistics don't support your argument, in which case your chosen strategy is just to rip anyone who disagrees with you by mischaracterizing their arguments. Good to know.

Statistically speaking...Horry sucks, and always has except for like one year of his career.

barbacoataco
10-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Avery played well in the 1999 season and the 1999 playoff run. He made the most of the limited talent he had. He handled the ball well and didn't turn it over much. If players forgot about him, he could drive to the backet a little. You couldn't accuse him of being lazy.
On the other hand---His jump shot always sucked. In the mid 90's he was one of the reasons the Spurs couldn't get over the hump and into the Finals. He never made the All-Star team. Overall I think he deserves to hang in the rafters based on his total career as a Spur.

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Unless, of course, those stats support your argument. See, e.g., whottt arguing that Robert Horry's playoff stats make him a Hall of Famer.

False...Horry's playoff stats are almost identical to his regular season stats...I argued his playoff records, and memorable shots/moments, make him a HOFer.

Incidentally...he is.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 07:28 PM
False...Horry's playoff stats are almost identical to his regular season stats...I argued his playoff records, and memorable shots/moments, make him a HOFer.

Incidentally...he is.

Playoff records aren't stats?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1818514&postcount=61

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 07:30 PM
In any event, we're off track again -- whottt's threads have a remarkable habit of doing that.

I'm still not sure I have any idea what whottt's argument in this thread actually is. It must have something to do with AJ's numbers not being indicative of just what a turncoat traitor, lecherous suck-ass he really is/was, while pretending that his numbers in 1999 aren't better than the collection of Spurs faves that whottt prefers to pimp.

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:31 PM
BTW Kam....

I do believe that Shagia will give you a hummer out of embarrasment of me enjoying my constitutional rights...it's shit like that that makes Usama think a couple of bombs is the solution to everything...

In any case...next time you're America...I think you're in with ole Shag...you're welcome.

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:40 PM
In any event, we're off track again -- whottt's threads have a remarkable habit of doing that.

I'm still not sure I have any idea what whottt's argument in this thread actually is. It must have something to do with AJ's numbers not being indicative of just what a turncoat traitor, lecherous suck-ass he really is/was, while pretending that his numbers in 1999 aren't better than the collection of Spurs faves that whottt prefers to pimp.

My point is that people are saying that 6 years into AJ's career he suddenly became this great and inspirational leader, that changed the character of this team, and lead this team to a championship...and they're wrong.

The Spurs added a couple of players that offseason but only one started...he was the difference, on the court, and in the lockerroom. AJ was the same AJ he had always been...he didn't miraculously change.

AJ has a good shooting PCT....because he never shot.

Rodman once lead the NBA in FG%...doesn't mean he was a good offensive player...although he probably shot threes better than AJ.

And any attempt on your part to attempt some stat analysis to calculate Horry's worth as a player leaves me wondering just how long you've been watching basketball...inspite of the fact that I know you've been watching long enough to know better than to go there.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
AJ has a good shooting PCT....because he never shot.

But he shot it more than the 3 guys that you said made a bigger difference because they could hit shots.

I'm sorry if I'm the only one here seeing a contradiction in your argument, but there certainly seems to be one.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1988127&postcount=12

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 07:44 PM
And any attempt on your part to attempt some stat analysis to calculate Horry's worth as a player leaves me wondering just how long you've been watching basketball...inspite of the fact that I know you've been watching long enough to know better than to go there.

The Horry thing is ultimately a question for another thread. I understand your argument for enshrining him in the Hall of Fame, but I fundamentally disagree with it, whether based on stats, records, or whatever intangible quality you want to devise. Robert Horry is a lot of things, but one thing he is not is a Hall of Famer.

Again, though, that discussion should be somewhere else.

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm pretty sure I paid attention in all my US history classes. I don't see what my bisexuality has to do with you being a no-class, self-righteous, self-important douchebag, though.

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 07:48 PM
BTW Kam....

I do believe that Shagia will give you a hummer out of embarrasment of me enjoying my constitutional rights...it's shit like that that makes Usama think a couple of bombs is the solution to everything...

In any case...next time you're America...I think you're in with ole Shag...you're welcome.
I have constiutional rights too, schatzie. Just because I'm bisexual, doesn't mean I'm not a person.

whottt
10-03-2007, 07:56 PM
But he shot it more than the 3 guys that you said made a bigger difference because they could hit shots.

No...he did not shoot more than they did. He shot less. Lies, damn lies, and stats...

I'm sorry if I'm the only one here seeing a contradiction in your argument, but there certainly seems to be one.

There's no contradiction in my argument....you just think all FGA are equal....they aren't....

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm pretty sure I paid attention in all my US history classes.

And I'm pretty sure you didn't...I'm pretty sure you were in the boysroom when constituonal rights were being discussed...

I don't see what my bisexuality has to do with you being a no-class, self-righteous, self-important douchebag, though.

Because no class self righteous, self important douchebags like myself are the ones who gave you a country where you could suck dicks to your selfserving little cocksucking hearts content, while you get embarrassed, like a little bitch, over my excercising of my right to free speech...

IOW, getting a Euro dick down your throat is more important than costitutional rights...you aren't my countryman. You're an animal completely defined by a sexual urge and there's not much else to you. Primitive. Completely primitive...

You're merely an unfortunate side effect of the very right you would deny me...dick breath. I can live with it...and happily, you can't. Can I get a fuck Europe from you my American cocksucking pice of worthless politically correct shit brother?

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I have constiutional rights too, schatzie.

Yeah...too bad you would deny others those same rights...that's what makes you worthless.

Just because I'm bisexual, doesn't mean I'm not a person.

Hey..I hope you get a nice bigone down your throat by shitting on your own country...aint America great?

smeagol
10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
so then youre with smeagol

Huh?

What do I have to do with this thread?

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 08:20 PM
And I'm pretty sure you didn't...I'm pretty sure you were in the boysroom when constituonal rights were being discussed...
I never realized I was bi until I was damn near out of high school, so that point is even more worthless than it was to begin with.

Because no class self righteous, self important douchebags like myself are the ones who gave you a country where you could suck dicks to your selfserving little cocksucking hearts content, while you get embarrassed, like a little bitch, over my excercising of my right to free speech...
I like how you totally ignore the fact that A) I'm excercising my own right to free speech in calling you a no-class, self-righteous, self-important douchebag, which, you are, to the highest degree, and B) The prefix "bi" means "two." Meaning I am attracted to *both* men *and* women. I like the pussy, and I like the cock. Hell, if anything, I lean more towards liking women then men.

IOW, getting a Euro dick down your throat is more important than costitutional rights...you aren't my countryman. You're an animal completely defined by a sexual urge and there's not much else to you. Primitive. Completely primitive...
Ok...I live in the same country as you, thereby fulfilling the very definition of a countryman, but because my sexual orientation is different from yours, this makes me "an animal completely defined by a sexual urge." Also, I don't remember expressing any desire to get a dick down my throat in this thread, Euro or otherwise. I am able to use a computer, type out this sentence and all the others that came before it, and I'm the primitive one.

You're merely an unfortunate side effect of the very right you would deny me...dick breath. I can live with it...and happily, you can't. Can I get a fuck Europe from you my American cocksucking pice of worthless politically correct shit brother?
No, you can't, because Europe hasn't done anything to warrant me saying "Fuck Europe" recently.

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah...too bad you would deny others those same rights...that's what makes you worthless.

Hey..I hope you get a nice bigone down your throat by shitting on your own country...aint America great?
I don't shit on my own country. I spread it around fairly, and shit on my own species. Of course, I have to go outside the realm of human beings to shit on you, but I'm willing to make an exception.

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Previously in this thread:

asking <Insert deity> for a reason that idiots like you are allowed to communicate.

GFY Shag....and don't say you paid attention in class.

You give dicksuckers a bad name...

TheSanityAnnex
10-03-2007, 08:27 PM
This thread kicks ass, bring it to the troll forum.

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Previously in this thread:

GFY Shag....and don't say you paid attention in class.
I would have put "God" but then I'd be guilty of assuming that everyone here believed in the Christian God. Kind of like how you're guilty of assuming you know what the fuck you're talking about. And, you telling me I give dicksuckers a bad name says a WHOLE hell of a lot about you, now doesn't it?

Samr
10-03-2007, 08:29 PM
And when he left we became soft choking bitches again...

You mean Mario became a soft choking bitch when he signed his new, bigger contract. The dude played himself OUT OF jersey retirement with that move.

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Incidentally..you must have missed that enlightened Euro's Central African inferiority Smack...I guess racism is ok..as long as it's Euro, right?

ShoogarBear
10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
I posted it because it is now my great hope that whottt uses the word "pettifogger" in the near future.He probably already has but you didn't recognize it.

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
You mean Mario became a soft choking bitch when he signed his new, bigger contract. The dude played himself OUT OF jersey retirement with that move.

I think you are confusing Mario with Jaren Jackson...

Elie got run out of here because he was too firey...pretty much the same reasons AJ did...only Mario actually taught us how to win a title before it happened.

ShoogarBear
10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
This thread kicks ass, bring it to the troll forum.:lmao

I haven't finished it yet, but I suspect it'll be there soon enough.

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 08:37 PM

I almost want to go through and screencap each page for posterity. God, I've been on 4chan too much lately.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 08:37 PM
No...he did not shoot more than they did. He shot less. Lies, damn lies, and stats...

So, even though Avery Johnson took more shots per game than any of the guys you specifically mentioned, he did not shoot more than the guys you specifically mentioned shot?

There's no contradiction in my argument....you just think all FGA are equal....they aren't....

I understand that point, but I don't see any reason for its application in your argument -- particularly since you've not given me any reason to understand how it might apply.

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:38 PM
This thread kicks ass, bring it to the troll forum.

I don't waste my talents on mouse's popularity contests any longer...

TheSanityAnnex
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
I don't waste my talents on mouse's popularity contests any longer...The award is a joke, this thread is for real.

Mister Sinister
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Is this thread legendary or epic?

E20
10-03-2007, 08:41 PM
This thread fails in compariosnto the previous Whottt/Avery/Drob/Coyote implosions. :td

There was an instance where Whottt had talked to every spurstalk poster and offended them all in one thread, including himself.

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:43 PM
So, even though Avery Johnson took more shots per game than any of the guys you specifically mentioned, he did not shoot more than the guys you specifically mentioned shot?

Exactly...

As I said...Dennis Rodman once lead the NBA in FG%, do you think that means he was shooting more than, oh say, Steve Kerr in his final season with the Spurs?

And if you do...I am again going to point out that all FGA are not equal.

I understand that point,

Evidentally you don't...see your first quote in this post.

but I don't see any reason for its application in your argument -- particularly since you've not given me any reason to understand how it might apply.

I know...and hopfully we'll never be down by 3 as time is expiring with you as the coach...

whottt
10-03-2007, 08:44 PM

At's right Bear...just because you won't come to that forum doesn't mean it won't come to you.

Ditto the politico!

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Exactly...

As I said...Dennis Rodman once lead the NBA in FG%, do you think that means he was shooting more than, oh say, Steve Kerr in his final season with the Spurs?

My point isn't that a higher FG% = more shots. My point is that taking more shots than another player means shooting more than another player. I don't see that as a particularly complicated concept.

I know...and hopfully we'll never be down by 3 as time is expiring with you as the coach...

So your point has ONLY to do with making shots in that situation? That's an entirely different point than arguing about who shoots the most among a group of players -- that's judging the quality of players in light of their performance in a rarely-occurring situation in which only one of the 5 players on the floor get that chance. By your logic, wouldn't Robert Horry be "shooting more" than Tim Duncan?

whottt
10-03-2007, 09:27 PM
My point isn't that a higher FG% = more shots. My point is that taking more shots than another player means shooting more than another player. I don't see that as a particularly complicated concept.

It's not a particularly complicated concept...it's just more complicated than you think it is...

So your point has ONLY to do with making shots in that situation?

My point is that not all FGA are equal............

The world's not black and white...

Good lord...I just had to say that to a criminal defense lawyer....

That's an entirely different point than arguing about who shoots the most among a group of players

No...it's about not all FGA being equal.

-- that's judging the quality of players in light of their performance in a rarely-occurring situation in which only one of the 5 players on the floor get that chance. By your logic, wouldn't Robert Horry be "shooting more" than Tim Duncan?

Let's try to avoid confusing franchise players with role players...surely you get the difference?

Trust me...the law may say they are equal, but I assure you, they aren't.

timvp
10-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I would step in but with whottt in full implosion mode, he'll handle owning himself.

I'll come back to finish him off later.

Ignignokt
10-03-2007, 09:41 PM
I would step in but with whottt in full implosion mode, he'll handle owning himself.

I'll come back to finish him off later.

I bet you would.

Ignignokt
10-03-2007, 09:42 PM
if Avery Johnson gets his jersey retired, then the bulls need to retire ron harper's.

Ignignokt
10-03-2007, 09:43 PM
This country kicks so much ass, a bunch of other inferior countries had to band together to outdo our dollar.

Euro's will eventually become a satellite continent for allah.

Ignignokt
10-03-2007, 09:46 PM
bobbyjoe Dynasty in da house!!!!

Ignignokt
10-03-2007, 09:47 PM