PDA

View Full Version : Black boy "branded" with KKK mark

TLWisfoine
10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Story:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A weekend incident with racial overtones at a high school for deaf students could result in criminal charges with "enhanced penalties for a hate crime," Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said Wednesday.

A black student was held against his will and then released with "KKK" and swastikas drawn on him in marker at the Model Secondary School for the Deaf on Sunday, she said.

No charges have been filed, and no names have been released, Lanier said.

The incident began when a group of black students and a group of white students were in a dorm. "My understanding is the two groups engaged in friendly horseplay," she said.

But, she said, the groups got "angry with each other."

The two groups separated, she said, but later, six white students and one black student -- all between the ages of 15 and 19 -- took one of the black students into a dorm room and "held him there against his will."

"They used markers to write 'KKK' and draw swastikas on the student," Lanier said.

The student was released after about 45 minutes. He notified dorm and school authorities, who called police.

Lanier said police have identified and interviewed the students involved and the "investigation is ongoing."

"The support we've received from the campus and from the school employees has been tremendous," Lanier said. "And I think they're supporting us in making a very strong statement that this investigation may lead to charges that could have enhanced penalties for a hate crime."

The school is a residential high school on the campus of Gallaudet University, a higher education facility for deaf and hard of hearing people. The high school is administered as a division of the university's Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center.

Dean of Clerc Center Katherine A. Jankowski said the seven students who participated in the incident were sent home.

Gallaudet provost Stephen Weiner said the school does "not tolerate any action, behavior of this type."

"We are taking action," he said. "We are looking at programs to help students understand we are a school with a diverse population."

"This incident is intolerable," he said. "That's why the Metro police are involved. That's how serious we are about this incident."

Jankowski said the school has also hired a consultant to work with the school and its students on diversity issues.

On Monday, teachers and staff hosted a school-wide assembly with students related to the incident, said Jankowski. Individual and group counseling services were also available to students, teachers and staff.

"We are committed to ensuring MSSD is a safe and supportive learning environment," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/03/deafschool.racial.incident/index.html

Oh, Gee!!
10-04-2007, 09:24 AM
maybe the kid struck out three batters. you're taking the letters out of context.

signed,

rush limbaugh

Summers
10-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Wow, the title of this thread is really misleading. This sounds so overblown to me.

Oh, Gee!!
10-04-2007, 09:31 AM
yeah, unlawful restraint (maybe kidnapping) and assault are no big deal.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Fucking Wizards fans.

Oh, Gee!!
10-04-2007, 10:10 AM
way to generalize about an entire city, JB47

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-04-2007, 10:11 AM

Damn straight.

samikeyp
10-04-2007, 10:49 AM
TL....I'm curious...the article said "marked"... but you posted "Branded" implying something even more disturbing. Why?

That being said, that is pretty fucked up to do to anyone regardless of race.

Soul_Patch
10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
maybe the kid struck out three batters. you're taking the letters out of context.

signed,

rush limbaugh

lol

Slydragon
10-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow, the title of this thread is really misleading. This sounds so overblown to me.

Agree

Trainwreck2100
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
This is nowhere near as serious as the kid that had the swastica cut into hi forehead

703 Spurz
10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

D.C. sucks anyway, what's the big deal?

samikeyp
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
703...who is that in your sig?

Mixability
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
703...who is that in your sig?

Natalie Portman

Spurminator
10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
I branded myself on the pants when I dropped my Sharpee. That shit'll never come out.

samikeyp
10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Natalie Portman

Dayyum.

Where is that from? Isn't she about to be in a new movie?

TLWisfoine
10-04-2007, 11:19 PM
TL....I'm curious...the article said "marked"... but you posted "Branded" implying something even more disturbing. Why?

That being said, that is pretty fucked up to do to anyone regardless of race.

Branded, marked, really no difference to me, figuratively speaking, and I did place quotation marks on the word branded. But it still doesn't take away that this is a fucked up thing to do just as you said. Now if you will excuse me Mikey, I now have to get "colored" on some people in this thread posting nonsense.

TLWisfoine
10-04-2007, 11:22 PM

Overblown? Oh mercy!!! So whenever a group of black kids kidnaps/assaults your child and writes all over them things such as "Black Power" or "Honky" I'd like to see how you'd react if somebody told you that you were over blowing things when you get upset about it.

TheSanityAnnex
10-04-2007, 11:28 PM
So whenever a group of black kids (plus one white kid)kidnaps/assaults your child and writes all over them things such as "Black Power" or "Honky" I'd like to see how you'd react if somebody told you that you were over blowing things when you get upset about it.Keep it even.

Does the lone black kid also get charged with a hate crime?

TLWisfoine
10-04-2007, 11:29 PM
This is nowhere near as serious as the kid that had the swastica cut into hi forehead

Aint this a bitch!!! Well thank you very much for "putting this in perspective." If I remember correctly, you were one of the people who was crying about that poor little white kid in Jena. Why don't I just "put that in perspective" and say that incident was nowhere near as bad as

this (http://www.emmetttillmurder.com/Picture%20of%20Emmett%20Till.jpg)

or this (http://www.africanamericans.com/images2/Lynchings3.jpg)

or this (http://shop.mnhs.org/web_assets/Fedo_5.jpg)

Summers
10-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Overblown? Oh mercy!!! So whenever a group of black kids kidnaps/assaults your child and writes all over them things such as "Black Power" or "Honky" I'd like to see how you'd react if somebody told you that you were over blowing things when you get upset about it.

How was he kidnapped and assaulted? A bunch of teenage boys are fucking around and write on someone in marker and the police have to get involved? I'm about as bleeding-heart-liberal as they come, but this is lame.

Summers
10-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Aint this a bitch!!! Well thank you very much for "putting this in perspective." If I remember correctly, you were one of the people who was crying about that poor little white kid in Jena. Why don't I just "put that in perspective" and say that incident was nowhere near as bad as

this (http://www.emmetttillmurder.com/Picture%20of%20Emmett%20Till.jpg)

or this (http://www.africanamericans.com/images2/Lynchings3.jpg)

or this (http://shop.mnhs.org/web_assets/Fedo_5.jpg)

Didn't someone actually get hurt in the Jena incident?

Summers
10-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Branded, marked, really no difference to me, figuratively speaking, and I did place quotation marks on the word branded. But it still doesn't take away that this is a fucked up thing to do just as you said. Now if you will excuse me Mikey, I now have to get "colored" on some people in this thread posting nonsense.

And back to my original comment, yes there really is a difference between someone being branded and someone having a Sharpie marker stuck to his skin. They do still have cows within smelling distance of Dallas don't they? So I'm assuming you know what a brand is. That would be a horribly violent, painful attack upon someone. A Sharpie isn't.

TheSanityAnnex
10-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Can someone who commits a crime against someone of the same race be charged with a hate crime?

TLWisfoine
10-04-2007, 11:47 PM
How was he kidnapped and assaulted? A bunch of teenage boys are fucking around and write on someone in marker and the police have to get involved? I'm about as bleeding-heart-liberal as they come, but this is lame.

This is lame huh? I don't take lightly people writing things such as KKK and drawing swastikas on a minority as "just fucking around." Also, if they were just fucking around why did the boy go to the police?

TLWisfoine
10-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Didn't someone actually get hurt in the Jena incident?

Oh dear God. So you are saying if somebody just took your son, held him against his will, and wrote some offensive shit all over him and he feels the need to report this to dorm officials and police you would just say he was being a little bitch about it because he may or may not have been hurt physically?

Summers
10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
This is lame huh? I don't take lightly people writing things such as KKK and drawing swastikas on a minority as "just fucking around." Also, if they were just fucking around why did the boy go to the police?

He didn't. He went to his RA. The school called the police and, by the way, "no charges have been filed".

And you know why I think they were fucking around? Because if they meant business they would've picked one. Is it the KKK or the Nazis? Since they wrote both, it leads me to believe they're typical teenage boys doing something typically completely fucking moronic because that's what bored teenage boys do when they have tiffs with their friends.

Summers
10-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Oh dear God. So you are saying if somebody just took your son, held him against his will, and wrote some offensive shit all over him and he feels the need to report this to dorm officials and police you would just say he was being a little bitch about it because he may or may not have been hurt physically?

I guess we're just going to have to agree that we don't understand each other's point of view. You seem to be really upset by this and I really don't get it, so let's leave it there.

TLWisfoine
10-04-2007, 11:56 PM
He didn't. He went to his RA. The school called the police and, by the way, "no charges have been filed".

And you know why I think they were fucking around? Because if they meant business they would've picked one. Is it the KKK or the Nazis? Since they wrote both, it leads me to believe they're typical teenage boys doing something typically completely fucking moronic because that's what bored teenage boys do when they have tiffs with their friends.

Whatever, typical resonse and reaction. I guess it would take for it to be a white kid for you to give a rats ass huh? I'm done with this shit.

Summers
10-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Whatever, typical resonse and reaction. I guess it would take for it to be a white kid for you to give a rats ass huh? I'm done with this shit.

Yes, I'm so very racist. (edited because I like to pretend I'm polite)

TheSanityAnnex
10-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Do we even know which kid wrote on the other kid?

TheSanityAnnex
What if the black kid wrote it?

TLWisfoine
Yes, I'm so very racist. (edited because I like to pretend I'm polite)

You don't have to tell me I already figured that one out.

timvp
10-05-2007, 01:07 AM
These kids will never hear the end of this.

TheSanityAnnex
10-05-2007, 01:17 AM
:lmao

Oh, Gee!!
10-05-2007, 09:59 AM
How was he kidnapped and assaulted?

Marking someone's body with a marker is an assault when the person marked doesn't consent to it. Assault doesn't necessarily have to be hitting or kicking a person, it can be simply touching someone in an offensive manner (such as shoving or grabbing someone). In this case, touching the boy with a marker and marking his body can be construed as being touched in an offensive manner.

A person can be kidnapped if he's held against his will and deadly force is used or threatened. There's also a lesser crime called unlawful restraint. Unlawful restraint occurs when someone is simply held against his will (regardless of the fact that deadly force or the threat of deadly force was not used). In this case, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the boy was held against his will, but we can't tell from the limited facts provided whether deadly force was used or threatened.

Summers
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Marking someone's body with a marker is an assault when the person marked doesn't consent to it. Assault doesn't necessarily have to be hitting or kicking a person, it can be simply touching someone in an offensive manner (such as shoving or grabbing someone). In this case, touching the boy with a marker and marking his body can be construed as being touched in an offensive manner.

A person can be kidnapped if he's held against his will and deadly force is used or threatened. There's also a lesser crime called unlawful restraint. Unlawful restraint occurs when someone is simply held against his will (regardless of the fact that deadly force or the threat of deadly force was not used). In this case, I don't think it's a stretch to assume that the boy was held against his will, but we can't tell from the limited facts provided whether deadly force was used or threatened.

Note to TLWisfoine: This is how you present a rational argument. If you hadn't ignored my valid points and called me a racist, you and I would've had an interesting discussion

Oh Gee, I understand they're following the letter of the law. I was simply saying this has the feeling of someting being blown out of proportion. I understand we don't know all the facts and this may be worse than the report states. It doesn't sound like the incident was meant to be a hate crime because there was a black kid in on the act and they didn't hurt the kid, from what we can tell. It just sounds to me like a bunch of friends who got pissed off and did something stupid.

Oh, Gee!!
10-05-2007, 10:19 AM
just sounds to me like a bunch of friends who got pissed off and did something stupid.

That could be true, and that's probably why a lot of crimes are committed (especially with teenagers).

TLWisfoine
10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Note to TLWisfoine: This is how you present a rational argument. If you hadn't ignored my valid points and called me a racist, you and I would've had an interesting discussion

Oh Gee, I understand they're following the letter of the law. I was simply saying this has the feeling of someting being blown out of proportion. I understand we don't know all the facts and this may be worse than the report states. It doesn't sound like the incident was meant to be a hate crime because there was a black kid in on the act and they didn't hurt the kid, from what we can tell. It just sounds to me like a bunch of friends who got pissed off and did something stupid.

I will admit that I was wrong to go off on you like that, but you have to understand me being a 55 year old black man who has seen his share of racism doesn't take lightly when something like this happens. It takes me back to old times.
It also seemed to me that you were just blowing off this whole thing as just fun and games. Again I ask if this had happened to your child how would you react?

2Blonde
10-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I'd be pissed as hell if something like this occurred to my daughter. I don't give a darn whether the kids are black, white or purple & I certainly don't care if they were just "fucking around". They still committed at least 2 crimes and wrote terribly offensive stuff on that child.

If they just robbed a store would that be considered stupid teenage behavior too?!?! Or what if they went to Jewish temple and wrote racist epitaphs all over the place with their sharpies? Or a Black Baptist Church?

I agree that kids get stupid, moronic ideas, but putting those ideas into action subjects them to the same laws as adults.

I also wonder if that boy will ever again feel safe when he's with a group of kids of a different race. Do you think he thought it was just a stupid thing teenagers do?

Summers, I'm not trying to argue with you it's just that this particular story bugged me. When I was in the 6th grade there was a boy at my school who was very strange and one day on the playground he went ballistic and started yelling and screaming about how we was going to kill all the girls in the world because this was such a cruel place. After school on the way home my best friend and I ran in to him. We decided to teach him a lesson about making threats, so I held him back while she hit him. Then when I let go he knocked my glasses off so I punched him in the face and threw his glasses in the creek. To this day I regret my actions and feel so terrible for the part I played in that. I was lucky I didn't get arrested. If I ever have the chance I will apologize to him. He moved away and I don't know where.

Just my thoughts.... :spin

thispego
10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
damn, you and your friend are/were hardcore

Kriz-Maxima
10-05-2007, 04:32 PM
These kids should definitely be punished.

Flight3107
10-05-2007, 05:32 PM
I dont see what all the fuss is about, Sharpie can be washed off easily.

Ronaldo McDonald
10-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I hope they make these kids walk around with cock drawings on their heads.