PDA

View Full Version : mario elie quote

Dave McNulla
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
saw this, thought it was cool...

dallasbasketball.com
(http://box308.bluehost.com/%7Edallasba/fullColumn.php?id=81)
Mario Elie

I asked new Mavs assistant Elie how it came to be that he left coaching to work for Fox Sports Net as a studio host for Rockets games last year.

“Well, I had a year left on my (coaching) contract with Golden State, and Chris Mullin had taken very good care of me, a lot of money on that last year,’’ Elie said. “So it freed me up to spend some time with the family and to still stay involved in the game. And to continue learning about the game and learning about myself.’’

And what did you learn?

“The No. 1 thing,’’ said a laughing Mario, who began his coaching career as a San Antonio assistant, “is that I probably never should’ve left Coach Popovich.’’

Solid D
10-04-2007, 11:28 PM
:lol 'Dude's honest.

xmas1997
10-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Well, then come on back!

Phenomanul
10-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Wow!!

timvp
10-05-2007, 12:38 AM
And I got slammed for ragging on Elie for going from NBA assistant coach to sideline reporter in the span of a year. He knows he was in too deep.

ShoogarBear
10-05-2007, 02:12 AM
What? Mario's working for Avery? How can this be?

whottt
10-05-2007, 02:16 AM
What? Mario's working for Avery? How can this be?

Because Elie is what AJ wishes he was?

FWIW...I predict the AJ Elie coaching tandem is going to be a complete disaster and the entire Mavs roster will be on the verge of suicide 5 games into the season.

ShoogarBear
10-05-2007, 02:19 AM
They were on the verge of suicide four games into last season.

whottt
10-05-2007, 02:21 AM
They were on the verge of suicide four games into last season.

Yeah but they didn't have Elie to actually hand them the items to do it with then...they do now.

If they start out like they did last season with Elie there...they won't be suicidal, they'll be dead...

timvp
10-05-2007, 02:21 AM
They were on the verge of suicide four games into last season.PW3T.

timvp
10-05-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah but they didn't have Elie to actually hand them the items to do it with then...they do now.

If they start out like they did last season with Elie there...they won't be suicidal, they'll be dead...Elie the assistant coach is nothing like the player. With the Spurs, he was subdued. Did you ever see him yell at anyone? Even during the Lakers collapse, he just sat there and took it in stride.

I also don't think Pop and company were very impressed with job he did. Ludden even alluded to it a few times (how Elie wasn't as available as some players wish he were). Little was said when Elie left and when he became a coaching free agent, there was absolutely no hint at all that the Spurs were interested in bringing him back on board.

Don Newman is actually what I expected Elie the assistant coach to be. Newman is a tough mofo. Before a game a couple seasons ago, him and Parker had to be seperated from throwing down. Newman is always available and has quickly become one of Pop's most trusted assistants. Pop even vouched for him as a head coach this summer.

Newman >>>>>>> Elie as an assistant coach.

timvp
10-05-2007, 02:30 AM
Another thing to remember is the quote Elie had in 2000. If you remember correctly, after a loss Pop used the soft speech and said that the leaders on the team weren't leading. Elie responded by saying that is was Pop's job to lead, not the players.

While a true statement, it always struck me as odd.

Elie was a hard ass as a player but I think he's like Duncan in that he'd rather go on the court and prove it with his play than to inspire on a one-on-one basis.

T Park
10-05-2007, 02:31 AM
he also dropped before the season "I wont be as in your face or fiery as i was last year"

timvp
10-05-2007, 02:35 AM
While we are speaking of Elie, I have to give him props for how he left the Spurs. After their loss to Phoenix in the playoffs, KSAT had an interview with him and they asked him about what he thought the Spurs needed to do to get better. Instead of beating around the bush, he flat out said that the Spurs were better off without him because they needed to get more athletic on the perimeter and that he wouldn't even burden the Spurs by asking to come back. He wished the Spurs luck and thanked Spurs fans for cheering for him.

That was one of the coolest interviews I've ever seen.

whottt
10-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Elie the assistant coach is nothing like the player. With the Spurs, he was subdued. Did you ever see him yell at anyone? Even during the Lakers collapse, he just sat there and took it in stride.

He didn't know what the hell he was doing yet....when he finally made it to the NBA in the first place he was just happy to be there then as well.

I also don't think Pop and company were very impressed with job he did.

IIRC, Hedo was his personal project...let's just say I wasn't impressed either.

Ludden even alluded to it a few times (how Elie wasn't as available as some players wish he were). Little was said when Elie left and when he became a coaching free agent, there was absolutely no hint at all that the Spurs were interested in bringing him back on board.

Elie had been out of basketball for a while and didn't know what he was doing.

FWIW...I thought Elie would do a better job than he did...but he was in learning mode.

I still think he'll be a good coach...but he's not a tell everyone where they are supposed to be type guy....which is a negative.

Don Newman is actually what I expected Elie the assistant coach to be. Newman is a tough mofo. Before a game a couple seasons ago, him and Parker had to be seperated from throwing down. Newman is always available and has quickly become one of Pop's most trusted assistants. Pop even vouched for him as a head coach this summer.

Don Newman is an experienced coach.

timvp
10-05-2007, 02:54 AM
Another sign that Elie didn't exactly knock Pop's shoes off as an assistant coach -- he finished in third place for the Toros job. Behind Quin Snyder and Mark Bryant.

:oops

sandman
10-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I'll give him credit for continuing to try, just not sure that he will translate into a successful head coach. I see him as a Rudy T type of coach, being all rah-rah and a player's coach, but not real strong on the X's and O's.

Dude has a hot TV wife and triplets. He should take some time and enjoy them.

SenorSpur
10-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Now that he's part of Avery's staff, they can both tell continuous stories of the 1999 championship season and hope it helps the Mavs overcome their mental and psychololgical blocks.

703 Spurz
10-05-2007, 09:27 AM
saw this, thought it was cool...

And now the dumbass is on the Mavs coaching staff? Is he trying to beat us?

sandman
10-05-2007, 09:45 AM
And now the dumbass is on the Mavs coaching staff? Is he trying to beat us?

No, just trying to get his number retired...

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2007, 09:48 AM
So if the Mavs win a championship this year does that make Whottt correct about needing JYD to put Avery over the top?

Hemotivo
10-05-2007, 09:54 AM
No, just trying to get his number retired...
:lol :clap

ShoogarBear
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
Mark Bryant was the runner-up for the Toros job?

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Mark Bryant was the runner-up for the Toros job?

Didn't he just get a job in Seattle with P.J. Carlesimo?

timvp
10-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Mark Bryant was the runner-up for the Toros job?That's what I was told from someone with Toro ties.

Didn't he just get a job in Seattle with P.J. Carlesimo?Snyder was hired in June, Bryant was hired in August. It's interesting that Bryant was close to the Spurs (enough so that Presti/PJ hired him pretty quickly), but the Spurs never brought him in themselves.

Walter Craparita
10-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Elie the assistant coach is nothing like the player. With the Spurs, he was subdued. Did you ever see him yell at anyone? Even during the Lakers collapse, he just sat there and took it in stride.

I also don't think Pop and company were very impressed with job he did. Ludden even alluded to it a few times (how Elie wasn't as available as some players wish he were). Little was said when Elie left and when he became a coaching free agent, there was absolutely no hint at all that the Spurs were interested in bringing him back on board.

That's what I'm talking about. Gotta keep these fools in check.