PDA

View Full Version : Notebook: Udrih to miss camp after breaking finger

timvp
10-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Notebook: Udrih to miss camp after breaking finger
Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Coming into training camp, the Spurs had planned to take a good, hard look at backup point guard Beno Udrih.

Turns out, the only place they'll get to see him for the next three to four weeks is on the sideline.

Udrih broke the index finger on his left (shooting) hand during Thursday morning's practice and is likely to miss the rest of the preseason.

Udrih's timing couldn't have been worse. With Tony Parker taking camp easy after a wearisome summer playing for the French national team, Udrih, who is in the final year of his contract, seemed to have an opportunity to earn playing time in the Spurs' backcourt.

Now, he'll watch the rest of the preseason in much the same manner he did Thursday morning's practice — in street clothes with a cast around his left hand.

"It's really bad for him, because we'd talked about getting him minutes," coach Gregg Popovich said. "Tony was going to start out kind of slow, so it was an opportunity for (Udrih) to get some minutes. So this is a tough break for him, no pun intended."

It marks the second season in a row that Udrih's October has been marred by injury. Last season, a sore hamstring kept him out of much of training camp.

As a result, Udrih lost his spot in the rotation to Jacque Vaughn and never regained it. Now, his bid to take minutes from Vaughn this season is off to an equally inauspicious beginning.

"Usually, broken bones set people back to some degree," Popovich noted.

New role for Udoka: Talk about a change in job description.

Last season, Ime Udoka started 75 games at forward for Portland. After signing a two-year deal with the Spurs in August, he is now set to come off a crowded bench for a team that returned 12 players from last year's NBA champions.

Forgive Udoka if doesn't seem daunted by the prospect of fighting for playing time. He is a former undrafted free agent who scrapped his way to the NBA from the developmental league.

"I don't have a problem coming in and competing," he said. "That's the way I've always been."

Downplaying a dynasty: Much has been made of whether the Spurs, after winning four championships in nine years but none back-to-back, are a latter-day NBA dynasty. Put Tim Duncan in the camp of "Who cares?"

"It doesn't matter in the least," Duncan said. "It's just hearsay and speculation. We've got four championships, and nobody can take that away from us no matter what the label is."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100507.spurs_notebook.en.33bbd33.html

ShoogarBear
10-05-2007, 01:16 AM
:lmao

This should be a vBookie on how long he's out.

milkyway21
10-05-2007, 03:32 AM
It marks the second season in a row that Udrih's October has been marred by injury. Last season, a sore hamstring kept him out of much of training camp.

this is just a joke, right? :oops It's not funny anymore.

OMG, wait 'til those Beno haters start again :lol

Kamnik
10-05-2007, 03:56 AM
All i say is-GOOD. I rather not see him around than the imbarasement i feel as Slovenian watching him fail in an uber pussy way.

Supergirl
10-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Damn it there goes any trade value he might have had.

Summers
10-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Does it seem like they're recycling a lot of quotes from Monday?

Supergirl, what does your signature mean?

xamila rey
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
after i read the interview this summer,
i just dont care about him anymore.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2007, 10:56 AM
I am very pleased that some other guard is going to get Beno's minutes in training camp. Perhaps that smoothed Vaughn's learning curve a bit last year, and we can keep the cell number of whomever shows the best potential at the point for when we dump Beno.

whottt
10-05-2007, 02:59 PM
All i say is-GOOD. I rather not see him around than the imbarasement i feel as Slovenian watching him fail in an uber pussy way.

Not good...

IF Parker is under the weather we really needed Beno to be there if only to take up minutes...he knows all the schemes and plays....that alone would have made him helpful.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Meh, so do Manu and Barry if it really comes down to it. And I can't see the Spurs caring too greatly about the first few weeks of the season.

whottt
10-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Meh, so do Manu and Barry if it really comes down to it.

That's a good point...except that's always been the absolute last last last resort for Pop before...I don't see it changing.

And I can't see the Spurs caring too greatly about the first few weeks of the season.

I care....I don't want all the bitching and doom and gloom crap about the slow start getting in the way of the AJ and Scola threads.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2007, 03:08 PM
That's a good point...except that's always been the absolute last last last resort for Pop before...I don't see it changing. It would be the last resort if Parker were to be totally shut down. As it is, Vaughn seems able to handle more minutes.
I care....I don't want all the bitching and doom and gloom crap about the slow start getting in the way of the AJ and Scola threads.Good point.

Get well soon, Beno!

ShoogarBear
10-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Look at the bright side: there will now be a couple more Welcome Back, Beno! parties.

baseline bum
10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I've gave up on Beno a long time ago, and he doesn't deserve another chance this training camp. How many of us even consider this guy a Spur anymore? If the Spurs want to make Udrih into something useful, they should make him a door greeter at AT&T Center or have him chase the other team's star player's wife before each game.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/327/benoshirtpq9.jpg