PDA

View Full Version : Shaq in shape! T.B.C.

Referee
10-05-2007, 11:19 AM
He's getting a divorce and has been working out ( :madrun ) so everyone in Miami should fork over some $$$ to his soon to be ex-wife Shauney for getting him finally motivated and perhaps getting him involved in over 70 regular season games... :clap

The ex was allegedly doing a "Personal" trainer? Go figure... $40 Mil a yr. with hubbie :fro and she is outta there. :greedy

E20
10-05-2007, 02:20 PM
He's listening to that Rocky Shit.

Walter Craparita
10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Damn. Shaq would crush Elsons face now :(

SpursIndonesia
10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Shaq perhaps feels that everybody's laughing behind his back regarding his domestic problem, so he has something to prove.

Obstructed_View
10-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Good. No excuses. I can't wait.

mavsfan1000
10-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Every year the same story. They say he is in shape now and wasn't before. He said was in shape last year. We'll see if things have changed at all.

Slomo
10-06-2007, 05:01 PM
Shape of what?

ChumpDumper
10-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Is weeble a shape?

timvp
10-06-2007, 05:24 PM
370 is in shape?

Question: Will this be a year Shaquille O'Neal arrives to camp in shape, or will there again be a wait on his conditioning?

Riley: "First of all, it's old news. I, as a writer, would finally get off of that with him. I laugh every time I read about it. It's like someone who wants to keep hanging something on a model's face because she covers up her acne with makeup or something. The guy is who he is. He's one of the greatest players to ever play the game. He's a big, big man. Ever since he's been in Miami, he's been in condition. What do you want him to be? 300 pounds. Come on. He's a big man. For everybody to ask him to say you have to be 320 pounds the first day of training camp I think is totally unrealistic for that. We've studied his mass. The guy probably is a 370 pounder. But everybody wants him to be 320, and so they hang this on his head all the time. He's led us to a championship. He's been hurt a couple of times since he's been here and it hasn't been because he broke. He got kneed; he got kneed twice, OK? I think it gets old. I get tired about talking about it."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_basketball_heat/2007/09/how-are-wade-an.html

Obstructed_View
10-06-2007, 06:52 PM
370 is in shape?
Round is a shape.

mavs>spurs2
10-06-2007, 06:56 PM
I always laugh every time i hear somebody call shaq fat

hes just a big guy, but his body fat is under 3%

lefty
10-06-2007, 07:01 PM
So, Shaq is ready for the Burgers eating contest ??

Obstructed_View
10-06-2007, 07:16 PM

:lmao

Shaq claimed his body fat percentage was "down to 12%" last year when he claimed to be 325. If he weighs 45 pounds more than that, it's not muscle mass.

Cry Havoc
10-06-2007, 07:17 PM

Wtf are you talking about.

Under 3% body fat is not possible for a player of Shaq's build. Absolutely impossible.

Learn a bit about the human anatomy before you spout off nonsense.

timvp
10-06-2007, 07:58 PM

hes just a big guy, but his body fat is under 3%Under 3%? Dikembe has the record all-time low body fat in the NBA at 2%. You seriously think Shaq has one of the lowest body fat percentages in league history? Tayshaun Prince's body fat is great than 3%.

I'd guess Shaq in his career has been between 12% and 20%.

Kori Ellis
10-06-2007, 08:00 PM
:lmao

Shaq claimed his body fat percentage was "down to 12%" last year when he claimed to be 325. If he weighs 45 pounds more than that, it's not muscle mass.

That's what I was going to post. When Shaq was his thinnest, the number that they would always say was 12%. There's no way he's even close to 3%.

Athletes that have very, very little fat are usually about 5-8%.

E20
10-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Under 3% is body builder territory. I wonder if Shaq is a faster sprinter than your average joe.

timvp
10-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Under 3% is body builder territory. I wonder if Shaq is a faster sprinter than your average joe.Shaq would smoke 99% of average joes in a race. Shaq doesn't have 3% body fat but don't get me wrong, he's a freak of an athlete. A man that big shouldn't be as nimble as he is.

I've always thought Shaq's "fatness" has been overblown. The bigger he is, the harder he is to guard. Shaq at 400 is faster, quicker, can jump higher and has better feet than most other NBA bigmen.

E20
10-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Shaq would smoke 99% of average joes in a race. Shaq doesn't have 3% body fat but don't get me wrong, he's a freak of an athlete. A man that big shouldn't be as nimble as he is.

I've always thought Shaq's "fatness" has been overblown. The bigger he is, the harder he is to guard. Shaq at 400 is faster, quicker, can jump higher and has better feet than most other NBA bigmen.
That's what I was thinking too. Even Shaq at his fattest could blow by most people who aren't atheletes for a living. I wonder if the same could be said for Tractor Traylor, forget the weight, I'm sure he is still pretty fast.

dallaskd
10-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Hes been training MMA.

lefty
10-06-2007, 08:37 PM
" I'm now ready to compete with you, bitches."

http://www.shaqsfamilychallenge.com/images/publicsite/funnel/sq_img_fimaly_challenge.jpg

http://cityrag.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/03/celebrities_eating.jpg

Obstructed_View
10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Shaq would smoke 99% of average joes in a race. Shaq doesn't have 3% body fat but don't get me wrong, he's a freak of an athlete. A man that big shouldn't be as nimble as he is.
I agree completely. The fact that he's able to stay upright at that size is amazing. I don't think there's ever been anyone that big and that athletic at the same time.

I've always thought Shaq's "fatness" has been overblown.
I agree somewhat, as he's dominant either way, but knowing how good he can be when he's not a fat sack, I understand why Heat fans want to see him at his best. Losing some weight is going to help keep him injury free as he starts toward the end of his career.

The bigger he is, the harder he is to guard. Shaq at 400 is faster, quicker, can jump higher and has better feet than most other NBA bigmen.
I completely disagree. Shaq at 400 is a dump truck in short pants who has to knock you down to get to the basket and can't defend. Fortunately for him, the officials still don't bother to blow the whistle when he plows through defenders. When Shaq is at 320, the great athlete we discussed earlier actually can go around people, and is STILL bigger than everyone else and can plow through people if he so chooses. He can then use his size advantage to its full potential, because he can beat you with power or quickness and any combination in between.

timvp
10-07-2007, 02:09 AM
I completely disagree. Shaq at 400 is a dump truck in short pants who has to knock you down to get to the basket and can't defend. Fortunately for him, the officials still don't bother to blow the whistle when he plows through defenders. When Shaq is at 320, the great athlete we discussed earlier actually can go around people, and is STILL bigger than everyone else and can plow through people if he so chooses. He can then use his size advantage to its full potential, because he can beat you with power or quickness and any combination in between.When was the last time Shaq was 320? Rookie year?

During the Lakers' three-peat, he was closer to 400 than 300. And even when he's plowing people over and scoring, it's tough to knock him if the refs aren't going to call it.

Shaq fattest was probably the '03-04 season and against the Spurs, he was still beating bigs up and down the court. Not to mention playing very good defense after Game 2.

I simply don't think weight affects Shaq as much as the media or fans think. He's a big mufuga, no matter if he's 340 or 390. And really, Shaq was at least guardable in his younger days when he was closer to 320. As he got bigger, he got more unguardable.

Dex
10-07-2007, 12:53 PM
It's not the weight thats the problem. It's that darned big toe.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2007, 04:51 AM
When was the last time Shaq was 320? Rookie year?

During the Lakers' three-peat, he was closer to 400 than 300. And even when he's plowing people over and scoring, it's tough to knock him if the refs aren't going to call it.

Shaq fattest was probably the '03-04 season and against the Spurs, he was still beating bigs up and down the court. Not to mention playing very good defense after Game 2.

I simply don't think weight affects Shaq as much as the media or fans think. He's a big mufuga, no matter if he's 340 or 390. And really, Shaq was at least guardable in his younger days when he was closer to 320. As he got bigger, he got more unguardable.
Shaq probably hasn't been an actual 320 for over ten years. I think he claimed to be 340 some time in the past couple of years, which is probably wrong as well, but my point remains: he's better when he's in shape, and in shape means lighter and quicker. Even at his lightest he's bigger than everybody else, especially now, so I'm not sure how sixty or seventy pounds makes a difference to anyone but him. If a water truck hits your car, it doesn't really matter if it's full of water or not, but it damn sure handles better empty.

I think his being guardable in his younger days had more to do with the guys guarding him than his weight. Funny how he got more dominant once Hakeem, David and Ewing were gone.

leemajors
10-08-2007, 10:52 AM
It's not the weight thats the problem. It's that darned big toe.
well, the more weight the more problematic the toe would be.

Sportcamper
10-08-2007, 11:58 AM
I have seen Hulk Hogan, John Matuzak, Howie Long....There is nobody that compares to Shaquille O’Neal....If Shaq was in slightly better shape than last season & more motivated...It will be a long season for every team in the East....

LEONARD
10-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Shaq Incorporating MMA Training into his Off-Season (http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6963596,00.html)

Shaq Gets in Shape Through 'Ultimate Fighting'

By Simon Evans

MIAMI, Oct 1 (Reuters) -- At seven foot one, Shaquille O'Neal is an intimidating enough opponent on the basketball court but the Miami Heat center has been testing his athleticism in one of the most violent of sports -- Ultimate Fighting.

Questioned on Monday how he had spent his time during the NBA off-season, O'Neal said he had been in the caged ring taking on challengers in the combination of boxing, martial arts and wrestling. "I've been doing a lot of fighting, a lot of swimming, a lot of hunting and a lot of school work and a lot of reading," O'Neal told reporters at the Heat's pre-training camp media day.

Asked what he meant by fighting, O'Neal said: "UFC fighting, Ultimate Fighting, yeah, I'm serious. "Every day. You have headgear and so on, it is basically like boxing with wrestling rules. I'm a fan of the sport. I started doing it and then some guys challenged me," added O'Neal who is reported to earn around $20 million a year with the Heat.

The professional Ultimate Fighting Championship was once banned in several states but after changing it's rules it has become increasingly popular in the U.S, pulling in large pay-per-view audiences and filling venues across the country.

The player's unorthodox off-season looks to have delivered some results for his team -- Heat coach Pat Riley says O'Neal is heading into the pre-season games in "real good condition".

O'Neal explains that as largely the result of an extended break due to the Heat's failure to make the play-offs. "This was the first time I had time to get ready. In my career I've always played late through a season and I've just had 15 or 20 days just to reset my body. "But when you are playing into June and then back in September there really is no time to get ready, this year I've had a lot of time to get ready," he said.

O'Neal was less willing to talk about how he is coping with his divorce from his wife Shaunie. "That is something that I won't discuss now and I won't discuss 10 years from now. I won't ever discuss it," he said. "If I ever have a bad game or bad couple of games, I won't blame it on that. This is something that I obviously have to deal with and I'm going to deal with it the best way possible," he said.

Dro210
10-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Yall never heard of Shaq's Big Challenge???

Of course he's in shape... what kind of example would he be setting for those kids if he wasn't... :fro

naico
10-09-2007, 07:19 AM

Yeah back in his Orlando period nd that was more like 7%. Now it's at least 20%.

hater
10-09-2007, 09:47 AM
a lot of swimming, huntin, fighting. no shooting freethrows and no playing ball. Shaq is finished.