PDA

View Full Version : Expiring Contracts 2008-2009

Indazone
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Looks to me like the following players do not have guaranteed contracts for 2008-2009

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/san_antonio.htm

Brent Barry
Bruce Bowen
Robert Horry
Michael Finley
Francisco Elson
Fabricio Oberto
Ime Udoka
Beno Udrih

Looks like a lot of changes will be happening one year from today. Even the Vspan scenario looks plausible and Tiago Splitter for sure will be coming. Barry is going to retire. Bowen is a FA. Horry will retire. Finely again FA. Elson and Oberto??? Not sure what they are going to do. Beno probably back to Olympiakos. Udoka big question mark. Well at least Spurs still got Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan for sure. Spurs are going to have to make a bunch of big deals to fill out their roster. But they are loaded with cash with the amount of cap space available.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Oberto and Udoka are under contract.

Bowen will probably re-sign, maybe at a reduced rate.

Elson probably gets replaced by Splitter.

So that's like four spots to fill, and all the guys who play significant minutes already have replacements on the team or in the pipeline.

We've been in much, much less certian offseason situations in the past.

Bruno
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Spurs won't have a lot of money to spend next summer. They will jsut have the MLE + LLE.

Oberto and Udoka have guaranteed salary for 08-09.
A blank year isn't the same thing than a $0 year on hoopshype. A blank year just means that they don't know the salary.

Spurs roster for 08-09 is for the moment:
PG : Parker, Vaughn.
SG/SF : Ginobili, Udoka
PF/C : Duncan, Bonner, Oberto.

Spurs are fine at PG. I guess they will sign a prospect as 3rd string PG to get the backup PG spot in 09-10.
Spurs will need some wings. Bowen could re-sing (if he doesn't get an extension before) and Finley coudl come back in a limited role but Spurs will need some youth. I wouldn't be surprised to see them spending the MLE on a swingman next summer. Marcus Williams could too crack the rotation if he has a good rookie year.
Spurs are quite fine at PF/C. Splitter will come, Mahinmi could be ready to be an end of the bench player and Spurs could re-sign Elson if he has a good year.

objective
10-05-2007, 01:23 PM
here's a question about the cap.

The Spurs are approximately the MLE amount under the cap next summer presuming the cap goes up to about 58.

Would the Spurs only have that caproom to spend of approx 6 million?

Or could the spend the 6 million to get to the cap, then IN ADDITION have the MLE to spend (another 6 million)?

Basically can a team under the cap spend it's way to the cap and be able to use the MLE that ve/ry summer or is the MLE only for teams already over the cap at the start of free agency

Indazone
10-05-2007, 01:25 PM
I guess that's not a bad starting roster for 08-09. MLE then that means a player with some credentials. Still think you need to plan for the contingency that Bowen leaves for more money somewhere else.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
I guess that's not a bad starting roster for 08-09. MLE then that means a player with some credentials. Still think you need to plan for the contingency that Bowen leaves for more money somewhere else.What makes you believe that Bowen wants to sign for more money somewhere else?

The fact that he signed here for the absolute minimum when Miami was offering about three times the money?

The fact that he opted out of a contract with the Spurs to re-sign for less money than he was slated to make?

The fact that he and his wife have started businesses in San Antonio?

Let me know.

Bruno
10-05-2007, 01:29 PM
here's a question about the cap.

The Spurs are approximately the MLE amount under the cap next summer presuming the cap goes up to about 58.

Would the Spurs only have that caproom to spend of approx 6 million?

Or could the spend the 6 million to get to the cap, then IN ADDITION have the MLE to spend (another 6 million)?

Basically can a team under the cap spend it's way to the cap and be able to use the MLE that ve/ry summer or is the MLE only for teams already over the cap at the start of free agency

You can't spend the MLE and using cap space at the same time.

TDMVPDPOY
10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
trade those expiring contracts for kobe or someshit

Indazone
10-05-2007, 06:33 PM
LOL Kobe. Why you want that rapist? If you wanna get a Franchise Player, I'd opt for Marion or better yet Agent Zero.

Indazone
10-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Would there be any scenario that could get the Spurs Jermaine O'Neal? Now that would be a fantastic front court. Spurs got the backcourt covered with Parker, Ginobili and Vaughn. Front court with the addition of someone like O'Neal. Man!

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-05-2007, 06:44 PM
PG Parker/Vaughn
SG Ginobili/Spanoulis
SF Bowen/Udoka/Williams
PF Duncan/Bonner/drafts pick?
C Oberto/Splitter/Mahinmi

exstatic
10-05-2007, 06:52 PM
LOL Kobe. Why you want that rapist? If you wanna get a Franchise Player, I'd opt for Marion or better yet Agent Zero.
Neither one of those are franchise players, although they make the money. Marion is a 3rd wheel at best, and Hibachi is nothing but a stone gunner who could never take a team anywhere.