PDA

View Full Version : John Hollinger on Spurs trading Scola: But they're still going to regret this in June

Spurs Dynasty 21
10-05-2007, 04:59 PM
• Traded Luis Scola and Jackie Butler to the Rockets for Vassilis Spanoulis, a second-round pick and cash
The Spurs save several million dollars with this deal: the $2.4 million they would have paid Butler, the equal amount in luxury tax he would have cost, and the cash they get from the Rockets. Spanoulis, incidentally, was released from his contract so he could return to Europe and won't count on the cap.

The Spurs are still $1.2 million over the luxury tax threshold at the moment, but bribing somebody to take Udrih or Vaughn can correct that situation in one swoop. That wasn't possible before this trade.

The problem is that the deal gave Scola to the Rockets, who have a good chance of coming back to haunt San Antonio in the playoffs. Though he's widely considered the best player not in the NBA, the Spurs didn't have room for Scola in their frontcourt and this summer was their last shot to get something for him in a trade before the buyout on his European contract went through the roof.

So the Spurs made the best deal they could under the circumstances, given their limited potential trading partners. Remember, between the teams that had no room in their frontcourt, the ones that consider overseas basketball nothing more than a rumor, and the ones that had nothing to offer San Antonio in return, there weren't many teams to do business with.

But they're still going to regret this in June.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp07/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=SpursPreview0708&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ftrainingcamp07%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fco lumnist%3dhollinger_john%26page%3dSpursPreview0708 #

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Dude seriously, let it go.

Scola Trade
10-05-2007, 05:11 PM
I've telling you guys we'll regret this trade... book it!!! :bang

timvp
10-05-2007, 05:14 PM
I didn't like the trade but it's time to move on.

At least until Scola plays a game.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
They had room in the frontcourt.

They didn't want him.

FromWayDowntown
10-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Hollinger told me (repeatedly) that Jackie Butler was going to make a major difference in 2006-07:

X-FACTOR: Jackie Butler. The Spurs let Nazr Mohammed leave as a free agent and will fill the spot with a committee that includes Butler, Francisco Elson, Fabricio Oberto and Matt Bonner. Of the four, Butler is easily the most talented. The ex-Knick can score with ease and has the requisite size, but needs to learn Popovich's defensive system before he gets a shot at major minutes.

http://www.nysun.com/article/42437?page_no=2

• Signed Jackie Butler, lost Mohammed. The Spurs might love Isiah Thomas even more than the Bulls do. First he took on Malik Rose's contract and gave them Mohammed -- they don't win the title in 2005 without that deal. Now they lose Mohammed as a free agent, but swipe Butler from New York for peanuts. This was hands down the best free-agent signing of 2006 -- Butler is a potential stud and yet the free-spending Knicks let him walk rather than match a three-year, $7 million offer sheet. Look at the deals mediocre centers are getting around the league and then check that price tag again. The dude is 21 and really can score -- he'll be better than either Mohammed or Rasho and cost about a quarter as much.

San Antonio should also be better at center, where Butler and Bonner can replace the indifferent production Mohammed and Nesterovic gave a year ago -- though replacing Nesterovic's defense is a tougher assignment.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp06/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Spurs0607

Scouting report: At 6-10, 260 pounds, Butler is a widebody who can get position in the paint and his a nice touch around the basket. He's an instinctive scorer and despite his girth also proved a decent shot-blocker. Nonetheless, Butler's conditioning is a real worry. He looked like he was carrying an extra tire last season and needs to get his weight under control.

Butler's defense isn't as far along as his offense. He's a step slow and tends to resort to fouling to make up for it, averaging more than a foul every seven minutes last season. And although he blocked some shots and rebounded well, Butler's movement on defense left a lot to be desired. Again, conditioning was part of the problem.

2006-07 outlook: Butler signed a three-year offer sheet with San Antonio, and the Knicks declined to match it so they could spend four times as much money on Jared Jeffries. Of all the inane moves that Isiah Thomas has made, this one ranks right near the top. The Knicks had absolutely no idea what they had in Butler, envisioning him as their third-string center (you know, because Jerome James will turn the corner any day now) and thus not wanting to spend anything to keep him.

For the Spurs to get a young player of this quality this cheaply was highway robbery; all they were missing was the ski masks. Players of this size who can score at such a young age have an overwhelming track record of success. Butler's five most similar players at the same age are Shawn Kemp, Eddy Curry, Jermaine O'Neal, Carlos Boozer and Chris Webber. His projected stats for next year are monstrous --18.5 points and 11.3 rebounds per 40 minutes, 54.9 field-goal percentage, and an 18.41 PER. He still needs to cut his foul rate and his calorie count, but he's been working out all summer in San Antonio and I expect him to be a revelation this season as the Spurs' starting center.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-SanAntonioPreview0607

Just saying. . . .

(sorry for the bad formatting, too).

anakha
10-05-2007, 05:36 PM
So much for the Hollinger jocking. :lmao

SenorSpur
10-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Hollinger's last year prediction on the Jackie Butler acquisition, along with his recent 2007 prediction of Houston taking a #1 seed in the West makes me think this guy is :smokin

duncan228
10-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Could we (you) please move on?

It's done. Over. Can't be changed.

Whether the Spurs regret it or not means nothing.
Shit, the FO has to know more than we do.
Have some fucking faith.

Walter Craparita
10-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Well chances are...

Trophy stays in Texas at least.

Indazone
10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Man..Spurs are awesome..and I love them. But I gotta say, the Scola trade makes absolutely no sense to me. Couldn't the front office have dumped salary some other way and gotten Scola on board?

ChumpDumper
10-05-2007, 06:39 PM
If they actually wanted Scola, maybe.

Obstructed_View
10-05-2007, 07:13 PM
What does Scola offer the Spurs that they can use? Cap room is more important than anything he could have done for them on the court.

Indazone
10-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Scola thread whoooo hoooo!!

Obstructed_View
10-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Someday one of you guys will attempt to answer one of my questions. I'm still not sure why I should be all broken up that Scola's gone, nor do I understand how Scola is a marked improvement to the Rockets over Juwan Howard.

duncan228
10-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Someday one of you guys will attempt to answer one of my questions. I'm still not sure why I should be all broken up that Scola's gone, nor do I understand how Scola is a marked improvement to the Rockets over Juwan Howard.

Maybe the original poster can tell us.

kingmalaki
10-05-2007, 11:42 PM

Howard got benched for Chuck Hayes. That alone tells you all you need to know.

We won't know anything until he suits up for us. However, I do know that we were extremely weak at the PF spot last year and it will be nice to have a guy who isn't a complete offensive liability at that spot, especially in a Rick Adelman offense.

ducks
10-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Hollinger told me (repeatedly) that Jackie Butler was going to make a major difference in 2006-07:

http://www.nysun.com/article/42437?page_no=2

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp06/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Spurs0607

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-SanAntonioPreview0607

Just saying. . . .

(sorry for the bad formatting, too).

email him that

ducks
10-05-2007, 11:50 PM
spurs are playing in june they could care less about scola

Obstructed_View
10-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Howard got benched for Chuck Hayes. That alone tells you all you need to know.

We won't know anything until he suits up for us. However, I do know that we were extremely weak at the PF spot last year and it will be nice to have a guy who isn't a complete offensive liability at that spot, especially in a Rick Adelman offense.
Juwan gave you 10 and 6 for three years. How much better does Scola have to be in order to improve that position?

SpursChampsIII
10-07-2007, 12:46 AM
I would rather wait for Splitter next year than to sign Scola this year. Splitter will be better than Scola and he is MUCH younger.

kingmalaki
10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Juwan gave you 10 and 6 for three years. How much better does Scola have to be in order to improve that position?

Not much. Just goes to show you how weak we were at PF. I mean we had Chuck Hayes starting last year...Chuck Hayes.....

I am excited about the Scola addition, mainly because we are going to an Adelman coached team. However, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Some folks here make it seem like y'all gave us Karl Malone's little brother.

Dro210
10-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Yea, now yall don't have an offensive liability at PF, you have a defensive liability at PF..... great improvement since we all know offense wins championships... right Phoenix fans?

Don't yall think that if Scola was THAT good, we would have tried alittle harder to get him in a Spurs uniform? I mean come on.... people are acting like he's part of some new big 3 with TMac and Yao... and that that big 3 is somehow better than the one here and in Boston... it's crazy...

btw... Chuch Hayes became the starting PF last season cause he rebounds and works his ass off... like 15 boards per 48 or somethin like that

Indazone
10-08-2007, 12:48 AM

Not sure either but Juwan Howard was not JVG's favorite player. JVG had a doghouse too.

Indazone
10-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey Look, now we got us a Ginobili flopper too!!!

Reporter Zhang Minghao reports from Austin

The first time I saw Luis Scola was on the Media Day. He was rushed around everywhere by the staff photographers for photos with a face showing that he was totally at a loss. He was a big man at 2.06 Meter, but just tossed around and manipulated by much shorter photographers surrounding him, asked to make different kind of poses with a basketball on his hands and reluctantly putting on a smiling face showing his teeth.

I attempted to say hello to him in Spanish which at least will make him feel warm and familiar. But it took Luis Scola by surprise and he was sort of dumbfounded by me. It took him almost 10 seconds to realize that I was greeting him in 2 words in his mother tongue. Then he mumbled apologetically: “Oh, sorry; I did not realize that you’re speaking Spanish to me!”

Perhaps just like what he told me, everything had been very dissimilar; it was a very noisy and hectic Media Day, very many items to be accomplished on a to-do list, and tons of reporters. So with all the not-so-familiar team mates around him, and listening to English, a language that he can speak but not so familiar and warm to him yet, this big guy, donned with the Rockets #4 jersey, looked a little hoodwinked on this first day.

So people started to forget those glittering bright MVP trophies that he had been awarded, and began to suspect and speculate that after all, the new Rockets #4 looked like a simple and silly big fellow.

Even though, maybe he was unfamiliar with the environment, the Argentine appeared to be a little bit dumb off the court, yet once he stepped on court with the basketball, every of his MVP stances and quality returned.

He is 2.06 meter tall; but he surely can run and shoot; and what is more awesome is that he is so nimble with excellent footwork down at the low post; his turnaround, his dribbling, and his layups are not worst than those quicker and more agile shorter players. Perhaps, in the current big men of the Houston Rockets, Luis Scola is the only one that is able to play like this.

It was not only that. Luis Scola also possesses the slyness and intelligence of European players in defense. Throughout the 3 day’s team scrimmages, he had repeatedly succeeded in drawing offensive charges from his team mates. With his eyes set on the in-rushing opponent, with his 2 hands crossed on the chest, once there was body contact with the offending player, Luis Scola would in one very smooth motion fell onto the ground, usually accompanied with a painful scream. Such scene happened repeatedly to both Kirk Snyder and Shane Battier: Luis Scola would bellow a loud cry and drop onto the ground once contact was initiated, and Kirk Snyder or Shane Battier just haplessly waved their hands to plead their innocence. Then (after an offensive charge given to the attacking player), Luis Scola would stand up, pat his own buttocks, and was totally unscratched.

So compared with his off court demeanors, Luis Scola while playing on court is definitely more cunning, and not dumb at all.

And right after each day’s training/team scrimmage, the other side of Luis Scola personality and disposition would manifest. He would find a quiet corner, sit down, sip his fruit juice and observe players around him. He was carefully looking on and studying without making the slightest sound how his team mates were cracking jokes and making fun of each another, and how they called each other with their nick names. On Day 1 of the training camp, Luis Scola did not speak a word. But on Day 2, he began to act like all his other team mates; he would run up to pat the buttocks of his team mates, and crack a joke or two with them; and before the players left the training ground, he would run up and greet each and every of his team mate, and it was only after he made sure that he had said goodbye to every of this team mate, then he would take out his mobile, check the short messages, and slowly stroll towards the team bus (to leave the training court).

So it is safe to estimate that by the time the team returns to Houston, that dull and dumb big fellow will vanish. The training camp only lasted 6 days, but Luis Scola just keeps changing everyday. No wonder Luis Scola is always so proud of being an Argentine. Surely in this big fellow, you can easily find the intelligence and wisdom of the Lain people.

SpursDynasty
10-08-2007, 10:09 AM
People don't realize that basketball in other countries does not equal the NBA.

The top European/Argentinian, etc. basketball player doesn't equal a top 20 NBA player.

Don't know what the big deal is over Larry Scola anyway.

FromWayDowntown
10-08-2007, 10:18 AM
People don't realize that basketball in other countries does not equal the NBA.

The top European/Argentinian, etc. basketball player doesn't equal a top 20 NBA player.

Yes, because Dirk Nowitzki, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, Peja Stojakovic, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Tony Parker have all failed to make multiple All-Star teams in recent years and have really been nothing other than pedestrian NBA players.

None of those guys has ever been considered a top 20 player. (other, of course, than the last 3 MVPs).

The Franchise
10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Yes, because Dirk Nowitzki, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, Peja Stojakovic, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Tony Parker have all failed to make multiple All-Star teams in recent years and have really been nothing other than pedestrian NBA players.

None of those guys has ever been considered a top 20 player. (other, of course, than the last 3 MVPs).
Hey you forgot Manu!! :lol

We born to be bad
10-08-2007, 10:49 AM

Steve vs Yao?. Suns 4 Rockets 0 :lol

FromWayDowntown
10-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey you forgot Manu!! :lol

I know you're joking, but I didn't include Manu because he's only made one All-Star team -- as SpursDynasty might say, that could be considered a fluke (I'm not saying it was; but it could be considered that).

The guys that I mentioned all made more than 1 All-Star team. Not conclusive proof that they all were in the Top 20 at the time, but a pretty strong argument that at least some of them were (or are) Top 20 players (since there are generally only 24 All-Stars in a given season).

The Franchise
10-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Steve vs Yao?. Suns 4 Rockets 0 :lol
:nope I sure hope you mortgage isn't riding on that.

SpursDynasty
10-08-2007, 03:16 PM

They are now. But none of those were in the Finals their first year in the league. None of those have even been in the Finals except for Tony Parker. The only foreign player I can think of that matters who made the Finals his rookie NBA year of this current NBA era (after 1998) is Manu.

Hollinger is saying Scola will take Houston to the NBA Finals in his first year in the league.

ChumpDumper
10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
]Hollinger is saying Scola will take Houston to the NBA Finals in his first year in the league.Yeah, TMac and Yao will have nothing to do with it.

FromWayDowntown
10-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Hollinger is saying Scola will take Houston to the NBA Finals in his first year in the league.

Yes, because saying that a guy will provide a nice compliment to a team is definitely the same thing as saying that a guy will take a team to the Finals -- in Houston's case, it might be Yao or McGrady (likely) along with the changes brought about by Rick Adelman and Bonzi Wells, coupled with the infusion of new talent like Scola and Steve Francis. I don't think Hollinger is remotely saying that Scola is the singular difference; Scola doesn't have to be a Top 20 player for the Rockets to reach the Finals.

You've got a curious definition of Top 20 player if it only includes guys who've reached the Finals. That would seem to confuse team success with individual greatness. Is Robert Horry a better player than Jermaine O'Neal? Is Derek Fisher better than Tracy McGrady?

The Franchise
10-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Yes, because saying that a guy will provide a nice compliment to a team is definitely the same thing as saying that a guy will take a team to the Finals -- in Houston's case, it might be Yao or McGrady (likely) along with the changes brought about by Rick Adelman and Bonzi Wells, coupled with the infusion of new talent like Scola and Steve Francis. I don't think Hollinger is remotely saying that Scola is the singular difference; Scola doesn't have to be a Top 20 player for the Rockets to reach the Finals.

You've got a curious definition of Top 20 player if it only includes guys who've reached the Finals. That would seem to confuse team success with individual greatness. Is Robert Horry a better player than Jermaine O'Neal? Is Derek Fisher better than Tracy McGrady?
Preach O wise one. :clap

SpursDynasty
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM

He said Spurs will regret it in June giving up Scola. Why? Because he'll be in the Finals instead of the Spurs? Or because the Spurs just won't be there? In either case, if the Spurs don't make the Finals, it'll probably be due to some injury or Crawford toss.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
if the Spurs don't make the Finals, it'll probably be due to some injury or Crawford toss.So you're saying the Spurs won't regret it.

FromWayDowntown
10-10-2007, 03:45 PM
He said Spurs will regret it in June giving up Scola. Why? Because he'll be in the Finals instead of the Spurs? Or because the Spurs just won't be there? In either case, if the Spurs don't make the Finals, it'll probably be due to some injury or Crawford toss.

or losing to a team that executes better in a playoff setting, like the '04 Lakers, perhaps.

Regardless of Hollinger's reason for thinking the Spurs will regret not having Scola (and, frankly, I don't think it will be the kind of loss that most think it will be) he's clearly not saying that Scola has to be a top-20 player to help the Rockets (in fact, Hollinger says that Scola will be, in essence, statistically similar to Matt Bonner).

And you're flat, damned wrong to suggest that non-American players can't be top-20 players in the NBA.

Roxsfan
10-10-2007, 11:31 PM

you go girl,

err, dude. :elephant

SpursDynasty
10-11-2007, 05:26 PM
or losing to a team that executes better in a playoff setting, like the '04 Lakers, perhaps.

Regardless of Hollinger's reason for thinking the Spurs will regret not having Scola (and, frankly, I don't think it will be the kind of loss that most think it will be) he's clearly not saying that Scola has to be a top-20 player to help the Rockets (in fact, Hollinger says that Scola will be, in essence, statistically similar to Matt Bonner).

And you're flat, damned wrong to suggest that non-American players can't be top-20 players in the NBA.

Not until they come to the NBA and prove it.

anakha
10-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Not until they come to the NBA and prove it.

:bang

Three guesses who the dense brick wall in this argument is. :lol