Spurs Brazil
10-05-2007, 07:24 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/print/nba/story/10390464/rss

Coach Rankings: Look no further than Popovich
Oct. 5, 2007
By Tony Mejia
CBSSports.com Staff Writer
Tell Tony your opinion!

Ranking head coaches isn't as black-and-white as ranking players for the simple reason that you need talent or you're not going to look good.

At the same time, you can't just pull anybody off the street, put Michael Jordan on his side and watch the jewelry accumulate. That has been a criticism of Phil Jackson, currently even with the late Red Auerbach with nine championship rings for most all-time.

Auerbach actually made that claim about Jackson after he won another three rings with Shaquille O'Neal, but rumor has it Auerbach's teams were pretty good, too. You might have heard of Bill Russell, Bob Cousy and Sam Jones; no one wears any of their numbers anymore.

Both are legends in their profession because it takes a great leader to keep a team focused, juggle egos and minutes and put players in position to be successful. No one style is proven to work. Some coaches are flexible, while others succeed in part because they're so stubborn.

It's really a fine line between overbearing and underwhelming, and the only way to tread safely in the middle is to win.

Jackson coaches the best guard in the game since Jordan in Kobe Bryant, but has acknowledged he doesn't have enough around him for his Lakers to compete for a title. In that respect, he has backed Bryant's claim that the organization hasn't done enough to build a winner. Jackson's reputation has suffered as a result, simply because we've seen him fail. He's human.

Coaches aren't miracle-workers. They can only play the hand they're dealt. Save the genius label for da Vinci and Socrates.

Keeping that in mind, the rankings below take into account a combination of factors, from past accomplishments to present dynamic to overall reverence. Players talk, people, and it's not very difficult to gauge who they respect and who they don't care for. You won't find any first-time head coaches in the top 20, even though I'd be shocked if men like Marc Iavaroni and Reggie Theus flop. They definitely have what it takes.

Here's who did make the cut:

1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio: Pop's a strong example of what inheriting the right pieces can do for a career. He had a losing record at Division III Pomona-Pitzer, worked his way into the Spurs organization and has won four rings in the past 10 years. He might shrug off his success in a self-deprecating manner, but I've heard it said that no one understands the pulse of his team quite like Popovich. That goes a long way in this league.

2. Pat Riley, Miami: He coached Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in the same game only once last regular season, so don't hold the Heat's post-championship collapse against him. He gets every ounce of energy out of his teams, but last year, he felt he failed in that regard. That won't happen again.

3. Phil Jackson, L.A. Lakers: Who knows when his final season might come? Whispers are he's even less inclined to be patient than Bryant, and he really has nothing more to prove. Treasure those two-fingered whistles and nuggets of Zen wisdom, because you never know when they might be gone for good.

4. Jerry Sloan, Utah: The dean of all professional American coaches begins his 20th season with the Jazz, proving that sticking to your guns works. He's not completely inflexible, but his old school approach makes it easy to hone in on that as a character flaw. Andrei Kirilenko obviously views him that way. Deron Williams, who struggled under his tutelage at first, doesn't. Sloan's way works, and ultimately, he'll make you better.

Don't kid yourself, there's a method to D'Antoni's free-wheeling offense. (Getty Images)
5. Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix: He doesn't just roll the basketballs out there, as some believe. D'Antoni breeds that attractive, fast-break style through active practices and intelligent motivation. He's a player's coach, never getting too high or too low, and you can't argue with the success he has had with the Suns, who have become one of the NBA's elite teams under his watch.

6. Don Nelson, Golden State: The shrewd veteran has won more games than anyone other than Lenny Wilkens, doing it his way, with his system, which he has proven can work anywhere, in any decade (provided you're not trying to run with Patrick Ewing). This will be a big year for him, though, because his Warriors are now saddled with some expectations.

7. Avery Johnson, Dallas: In his first full season, he seemed to be a natural, coaching the Mavericks to their first NBA Finals. Last season, he guided them to the league's top regular-season record, but couldn't solve Golden State, putting a sour note on an otherwise brilliant job bouncing back from heartbreak. He's still learning from mistakes, but his resiliency figures to trickle down to his team and make them even tougher.

8. Rick Adelman, Houston: He won big in Portland and Sacramento by promoting unselfish play, and plans on using the same formula to get the Rockets out of the first round for a change. He has reached the conference finals four times, so history would seem to be on his side. Expect him to post the 10th 50-win season of his coaching career.

9. Mike Brown, Cleveland: For someone who has won 50 games in each of his two seasons and already coached in an NBA Finals, he sure catches a lot of heat. Fact is, he stood up to LeBron James when the young star felt the Cavs should run more often, stuck to his guns and defense-first philosophy and wound up where 28 other teams wanted to be. He's got a bright future.

10. Byron Scott, New Orleans: People forget the Hornets were off to a good start before Peja Stojakovic went down and started an injury parade that would claim Chris Paul, David West and Bobby Jackson for long stretches. He has had to field patchwork squads for two straight years and barely missed the playoffs in spite of the attrition. Scott, a task-master with a personality, got to a pair of NBA Finals with the Nets in his first head coaching gig.

11. George Karl, Denver: One of the knocks on him as a younger coach was that he rubbed people the wrong way, but a person can't change his personality. Karl is fiery and forthright, and regardless of whether you love him or hate him, you can't argue that he gets results. Although he hasn't been able to get out of the first round with the Nuggets, he has led them to three consecutive winning seasons, extending his personal streak to 15 straight years at .500 or better.

12. Scott Skiles, Chicago: Considering he was a coach on the floor while he played, he was always cut out to lead. His act has grown more refined over the years, but demanding will always be one of the first words used to describe him. Successful is another.

13. Flip Saunders, Detroit: He has won 50 games in five of the past six seasons, and has won 10 playoff encounters in three of the past four. You don't fluke into that kind of success, but what keeps him from being further up this list is that players have tuned him out when it mattered most in both Minnesota and now Detroit, and that adversity threatens his employment despite the wins. He hasn't won the big one, so he's not immune from mounting criticism that he doesn't have the right personality to win with the Pistons' veteran core. He gas won 117 games in two seasons and still has little room for error considering demanding Detroit fans have been calling for his head for well over a year.

Sam Mitchell has done a solid job in Toronto. (Getty Images)
14. Sam Mitchell, Toronto: Anyone who tells you they expected to see Mitchell still coaching the Raptors when last season began is a liar. He was as lame-duck as they come, unlikely to be retained with new GM Bryan Colangelo set to bring in his own guy, probably former Suns assistant Iavaroni. Instead, Mitchell wound up the NBA Coach of the Year, leading a young Toronto team filled with international players to a surprise Atlantic Division title. Players respect him as a straight shooter who works as hard as he expects them to.

15. Nate McMillan, Portland: The Blazers' rebuilding project continues, but improvement is coming steadily. Preaching defense and fundamentals, "Mr. Sonic" has helped revitalize the other franchise in the Pacific Northwest. Although it would have helped to have Greg Oden, he'll guide his team to another step forward.

16. Lawrence Frank, New Jersey: He has come a long way since his days as Indiana University's student manager, and again has job security after getting his contract extended in July. Still the youngest head coach in the league, he'll be the beneficiary of more brain power around him with former Magic coach Brian Hill coming on board as an assistant and 39-year old Darrell Armstrong signing on as a player. Armstrong, who you should expect to see on one of these lists in the future, is two years older than Frank.

17. Eddie Jordan, Washington: No one can blame him for wondering what if, given how last season ended for the Wizards. Atop the Southeast Division most of the way, they were besieged by injury down the stretch, losing All-Stars Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler. Up to that point, he had done his best coaching job ever, despite butting heads with Arenas over leadership issues.

18. Mike Dunleavy, L.A. Clippers: His momentum with the Clippers stalled last season. Getting back on the right track doesn't seem to be in his immediate future given the absence of Elton Brand and Shaun Livingston. He has enjoyed a couple of memorable seasons, but his career winning percentage lingers just under .500 and doesn't figure to improve in the coming months.

19. Doc Rivers, Boston: Thanks to the arrival of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, he has a new lease on life. It's in his best interest to make the most of this situation, considering the Celtics have been on a downward spiral since he took over. He has never won more than 45 games or tasted victory in a playoff series. If the personable Rivers fails this season, he'll have some explaining to do.

20. Stan Van Gundy, Orlando: His controversial exit in Miami was a raw deal anyway you look at it, so he deserves this new opportunity in Central Florida. There's a reason he was a finalist for so many vacancies this past offseason, and if the Magic hadn't ended up with his services, there would be much more apprehension about Billy Donovan's change of heart than there currently is.

Indazone
10-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Doc Rivers asked Larry Brown to be his assistant. He's in way over his head.

timmy21_4rings
10-05-2007, 08:27 PM
Doc Rivers asked Larry Brown to be his assistant. He's in way over his head.

That is how Larry Brown had become nowadays. He is so desperate and no one wants to hire him as coach.

Indazone
10-05-2007, 09:01 PM
That is how Larry Brown had become nowadays. He is so desperate and no one wants to hire him as coach.

My crystal ball tells me JVG is headed for the same fate

JamStone
10-05-2007, 09:12 PM

Don't be surprised when the Celtics lose in the second round of the playoffs that Ainge might just outright hire Larry Brown after he fires Doc. Would you really be surprised if that happens?

timmy21_4rings
10-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Don't be surprised when the Celtics lose in the second round of the playoffs that Ainge might just outright hire Larry Brown after he fires Doc. Would you really be surprised if that happens?

Celtics needs Phil Jackson to handle the experienced guys, not a micro manger type guy like LB.

Indazone
10-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Phil Jackson is the shizznitzz LB bah!

ducks
10-05-2007, 10:01 PM
pop would bench him so fast for not playing d

JamStone
10-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Celtics needs Phil Jackson to handle the experienced guys, not a micro manger type guy like LB.

Rarely has Ainge done what the Celtics needed for him to do. I didn't say they should Larry Brown. I said it wouldn't be surprising if they did.

JMarkJohns
10-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Nash is the method to D'Antoni's madness. Without Nash, he's a piss poor coach who can't develop players (Iavoroni developed Amare and Diaw, Dan D'Antoni, Barbosa), can't gameplan a defense or generate a productive offense to offset his poor defense and rebounding.

I suppose that was the long way of saying D'Antoni is about 5-to-10 spots to high.

JMarkJohns
10-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Matter of fact, I'd swap he and Skiles. Skiles has developed the vast majority of his talent, has a good defensive gameplan, and gets his players to play hard while also putting them in situations to fully maximize their potential for the betterment of the team. Case and point, Ben Gordon as the sixth man. Can you imagine how well Phoenix would have done with Skiles in charge?

lefty
10-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Wow, putting the coach of the year at 14 is weird

Obstructed_View
10-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Nash is the method to D'Antoni's madness. Without Nash, he's a piss poor coach who can't develop players (Iavoroni developed Amare and Diaw, Dan D'Antoni, Barbosa), can't gameplan a defense or generate a productive offense to offset his poor defense and rebounding.

I suppose that was the long way of saying D'Antoni is about 5-to-10 spots to high.
I agree completely. The team falls apart without Nash, yet they still haven't managed to get a competent backup PG. Their complete inability and unwillingness to use their bench, play defense or make adjustments is what kills them in the playoffs. In my opinion, the Suns are only better than the Frank Johnson Suns because they have slightly better players, give the starters more minutes and have a system geared for beating inferior teams in the regular season.

timvp
10-06-2007, 01:38 AM
My top five as far as who I would like coaching a team with championship talent:

1) Phil Jackson
2) Pop
3) Pat Riley
4) Sloan
5) AJ

Pop could eventually pass Jackson but right now, I'd be hard to make a case for Pop over Jackson.

I put Riley third but I think he flames out rather fast. For a two or three year stint, he's a good coach. But then his teams tire of him. Same could be said for Larry Brown. Scott Skiles and Byron Scott, while good coaches, seem to have a lot of the same traits.

The most underrated coach in the league I think is Adelman. He's won with offense. He's won with defense. He's won with toughness. He's won with finesse. Adelman just knows how to coach. His flaw is he seems a little bit weak handed, which makes his teams emotionally volatile.

As far as an up-and-coming coach, I like Nate McMillan. His 2005 Sonics were very well coached and last year I thought Portland played hard every night.

duncan228
10-06-2007, 11:53 AM
As far as an up-and-coming coach, I like Nate McMillan. His 2005 Sonics were very well coached and last year I thought Portland played hard every night.

I've always thought McMillan didn't get the credit he deserved in Seattle.
He brought that team a long way in a relatively short time.
Under the "five year plan" the Sonics were working on at the time.

JamStone
10-06-2007, 12:42 PM
In many ways, I'd like to see how Pop would do over a 3-5 year span without Tim Duncan. I'm not saying Pop isn't great, but it would be interesting to see if he could build a championship team without Duncan. However, I don't see it happening. I think when Duncan retires, Pop will soon follow.

That's the one thing about Phil Jackson. He could have sit with his 6 rings with the Bulls. But, he took on the challenge to do it again. Sure, it was a great situation with Shaq and eventually Kobe, but he still had to get it done, and Shaq and Kobe had not won without him before he was the coach.

I think Phil Jackson is probably a better manager of egos than he is an X's and O's coach. Based purely on strategy and basketball knowledge, I think Larry Brown and Don Nelson and Skiles and Van Gundy are up there, but they all have personality traits that grind on players, ownership, and fans. Rick Carlisle was the same way. Great basketball mind, but his players eventually hated him because he's an asshole of a person.

Pop has perhaps been the best coach in a long time to be a great strategist and also very good at handling the egos of his players.

duncan228
10-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Pop has perhaps been the best coach in a long time to be a great strategist and also very good at handling the egos of his players.

I think it helps that the players who succeed under Pop know they have to check their egos at the door.

Duncan is often described as "selfless" on the floor, and it's been said by many on the team that when the top dog behaves like that, everyone else falls in place.

I have no doubt the the Spurs have as much ego as any other team in the league. I think it takes some ego to be an NBA player.
But the Spurs know that a Team focus rather than an "I" focus leads to success.

picnroll
10-06-2007, 01:15 PM
IPop has perhaps been the best coach in a long time to be a great strategist and also very good at handling the egos of his players.
Totally agree. Plus identifying the pieces and personalities needed.

If Pop were to keep coaching after Duncan you have o believe, like Jackson , he could have the pick of teams to go to and, like Jackson, wold pick one that had the pieces needed to be a title contender. hen he could work his magic again. But Popovich will turn 59 this season and if he sticks it out until Duncan retires he'll be pushing mid-sixties and quite likely want to coach anymore.

Walter Craparita
10-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm wondering how much longer D'Antoni will remain "elite" (LOL) after continuously getting his run n' gun garbage booted out of the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
10-06-2007, 03:28 PM
I like Nate, but it's slowly being proven that he's a coach who benefitted greatly from having multiple players overachieving in a contract year. He's gonna have to start winning with his talent.

Dave McNulla
10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
i go with the championships

tier 1 (done that)
1 jackson
2 riley
3 popovich

tier 2 (been there)
1 sloan
2 byron scott
3 adelman
4 avery johnson
5 karl
6 mike brown
7 dunleavy

tier 3 (wannabe)
1 don nelson
2 d'antoni
3 skiles
4 larry frank
5 flip saunders
6 eddie jordan
7 mo cheeks
8 doc rivers
9 thomas
10 carlisimo

the rest i don't know or think much of.

edit: oops, i should have put sam mitchell in the third list, lower half

Reggie Miller
10-09-2007, 01:30 PM
In many ways, I'd like to see how Pop would do over a 3-5 year span without Tim Duncan. I'm not saying Pop isn't great, but it would be interesting to see if he could build a championship team without Duncan. However, I don't see it happening. I think when Duncan retires, Pop will soon follow.

That's the one thing about Phil Jackson. He could have sit with his 6 rings with the Bulls. But, he took on the challenge to do it again. Sure, it was a great situation with Shaq and eventually Kobe, but he still had to get it done, and Shaq and Kobe had not won without him before he was the coach.

I think Phil Jackson is probably a better manager of egos than he is an X's and O's coach. Based purely on strategy and basketball knowledge, I think Larry Brown and Don Nelson and Skiles and Van Gundy are up there, but they all have personality traits that grind on players, ownership, and fans. Rick Carlisle was the same way. Great basketball mind, but his players eventually hated him because he's an asshole of a person.

You pretty much summed up my evaluation.

Most of the NBA coaches are all about equal in terms of Xs and Os. (I think this is also true of most other professional leagues.) You have a handful of coaches who are a little better at in-game tactics and/or planning game strategy. I think your list is accurate; these are probably Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle, Don Nelson, Gregg Popovich, Scott Skiles, Jerry Sloan, and Jeff VanGundy. With the exception of Skiles and Carlisle, these guys also have more than a decade of experience as head coaches in the NBA. There are some coaches I may have missed or slighted, but there you go. At any rate, I agree that most of these gentlemen are classic Type A personalities that tend to alienate people over time.

Phil Jackson is primarily a manipulator/motivator. His claim to fame is the ability to massage some of the biggest egos in the history of sports and keep a championship team together. However, I wonder at what cost? Obviously, Phil's approach has claimed a few casualties over the years, notably Jerry Krause, Pippen, and Bryant. In my opinion, Jackson's approach is ultimately self-defeating. You can't fool all of the people all of the time, and he only sows the seeds of future dissension. Of course, Jackson can coach, but I don't think his approach is ideal or one to emulate for long-term success.

I respect Popovich because he somehow manages to walk a thin line. Popvich's leadership is obviously based on military lines, and I think this is important to his success. To clarify, a coach like D'Antoni, and to a lesser extent, Jackson, only leads to the extent that he can get in front of the team and stay ahead. On the other hand, a coach like Larry Brown "leads" by cracking the whip and driving the team before him. Pop has very rigid standards and expectations, but he is there beside his players leading by example and the force of his personality. In other words, he commands respect becuase he is not afraid to demand respect. At the same time, most people that have played for him seem to have genuine regard for Pop.

Naturally, anyone could learn or develop similar leadership skills in a different context, but it's pretty obvious that Pop follows the leadership model for junior (field grade) officers. One important thing I learned from the army is that in the absence of an effective leader, a group will create or gravitate to a new one. This is definitely a problem in pro sports, because many coaches and managers are afraid to assert their power over a star player.