PDA

View Full Version : Why do I love Glenn Beck you ask? Read on..

NeoConIV
12-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Scouts' sales tactic outside ACLU becomes pop smash
After radio celebrity plugs Chesterfield troop's booth, popcorn orders top $28,000

BY MARK BOWES
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Dec 17, 2004

A friendly jab at the American Civil Liberties Union has turned into a financial bonanza for a tiny nine-member Boy Scout troop from Chesterfield County.
Click Here to earn a free $50 gift card!

Troop 828, with an unexpected boost on Wednesday from nationally syndicated talk show host Glenn Beck, watched its struggling popcorn sales explode.

Scouts at a downtown booth had to call for fresh supplies. A Web site was flooded with orders from buyers in 39 states.

At last count, sales had topped $28,000. That set a record for the Boy Scouts' Heart of Virginia Council.

Last year the troop sold less than $300 worth of popcorn.

The windfall came after Beck got wind of the Scouts' decision to set up a booth near the ACLU's Virginia headquarters in downtown Richmond.

For years the ACLU has raised legal questions as to how closely the government should be aligned with the Boy Scouts of America.

"We're kind of a conservative troop," said Scoutmaster Jim Carpenter, whose two-year-old unit meets at St. Joseph Catholic Church. "They're a very devout group of young men, and God and country are extremely important to them."

"And at one of our Monday night meetings, they decided that it would be real cool to sell popcorn in front of the ACLU. This was their idea. We're a boy-run troop."

Sales were initially poor Wednesday morning.

"We had two customers between 10 and 10:30, and the guys were just about ready to call it quits," he said.

But after an unsolicited plug from Beck, a well-known conservative talk show host who airs on WRVA (1140 AM), hundreds of people from across the country began ordering popcorn from the Chesterfield Scouts.

As of yesterday afternoon, the troop had topped $22,700 in sales from 586 people ordering online from the Boy Scouts' national popcorn distributor, local scout officials said. Beck put a link to the company on his Web site.

But that wasn't all. Richmonders flocked to the Scouts' booth at Seventh and Main, buying about $4,200 more, Carpenter said.

"We supplied them with everything we could," said Robert "Alf" Tuggle, Scout executive for the Heart of Virginia Council.

Said Carpenter: "Things just went nuts. It didn't slow down until about 3:30, 4 o'clock. We had cars pulling off and lots of people honking the horn, we had a couple of police officers stop by and buy popcorn. We had fire trucks going by and tooting their horns. It was incredible."

The downtown sales trip, Carpenter said, was "kind of a last-ditch effort" to sell about $1,250 worth of popcorn they had left from a consignment order.

In addition to plugging the troop's efforts on national radio, Beck personally bought about $380 worth of popcorn during his sold-out appearance Wednesday night at the Science Museum of Virginia, Carpenter said. Some of Beck's fans purchased popcorn, too.

Beck invited the Scouts to his show, where he signed and took pictures with the boys, who gave him the troop's American flag. "He mentioned during the show that he collected flags," Carpenter said.

Tuggle, the local Scout Executive, applauded the troop's "ingenious strategy."

"They weren't out there trying to get in the face of the ACLU," he said. "They conducted themselves in a Scout-like manner and took advantage of an opportunity to get a lot of customers."

The troop will get to keep 30 percent of the total, the standard commission. Carpenter said some of that will go toward a troop ski trip to West Virginia in March.

Kent Willis, executive director of the Virginia ACLU, said he doesn't begrudge the Scouts for exercising their First Amendment right to free speech or using the ACLU name to generate sales.

"That's par for the course these days," said Willis, who said a group of youths identified as the United Conservatives of Virginia delivered a tin of Boy Scout popcorn and a Christmas greeting to his office yesterday. "We raise funds with our membership by pointing out what the organizations that oppose us are doing, and they raise money with their membership by pointing out what we are doing."

The ACLU, Willis added, isn't opposed to the Boy Scouts or their right to exist. "The ACLU's concern here is with the government funding of the Boy Scouts so long as there is a religious test to be a member of the Boy Scouts."

But Carpenter believes there's much more at stake.

"The youth of today really need the Scouts, [and] they need the support of government," he said. "And to have somebody telling them that what you believe in is bad because other people don't believe in it, it just doesn't sit well with a lot of my guys."

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031779729194

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-17-2004, 11:57 AM
http://www.digitalcypher.com/pwned/OWNED.gif

NeoConIV
12-17-2004, 01:23 PM
And in other 'Sticking it to the PC police' news....

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20041216/hl_nm/leisure_ckerestaurants_dc

Hardee's, Carl's Jr. Cash in with Backlash Burgers

Wed Dec 15, 7:52 PM ET Health - Reuters

By Nichola Groom

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The parent of the Carl's Jr. and Hardee's burger chains is cashing in on consumer backlash against healthier fast-food fare with new premium burgers that make Big Macs look like rabbit food.

While many of its competitors have downplayed traditional burgers in the last two years while scrambling to add lower-fat salads and grilled chicken offerings to their menus, CKE Restaurants Inc. has taken a different approach.

Carl's Jr. on Wednesday introduced the Breakfast Burger, a hamburger topped with a fried egg, hash browns, bacon and cheese, that weighs in at 830 calories and 46 grams of fat.

Hardee's, meanwhile, last month added the Monster Thickburger to its menu. With two one-third-pound beef patties, four strips of bacon, and three slices of cheese, the burger has 1,417 calories and a whopping 107 grams of fat.

McDonald's Corp.'s Big Mac, with 560 calories and 30 grams of fat, doesn't even come close.

"Obviously, the health of its customers is not one of Hardee's top priorities," said Marion Nestle, professor of nutrition at New York University.

The Monster Thickburger has hit a nerve with consumers weary of so-called "food police," said Brad Haley, executive vice president of marketing at Carl's Jr. and Hardee's.

"We don't make what we want to sell, we make what people want to buy," Haley said in an interview. "There is sort of a backlash against political correctness in food."

One Hardee's customer said the Monster Thickburger piqued his interest because it flew in the face of recent trends toward healthier food.

"The fact that they would have the wherewithal to invent a product that could choke a mule is something to be prideful of," said Tim Shea, 43, a magazine publisher from Chicago.

But the burger has also sparked outcry from consumer groups such as the Center for Science in the Public Interest, which called it the "height of corporate irresponsibility."

To be fair, both Hardee's and Carl's Jr. have added healthier fare such as low-carb sandwiches to their menus and Hardee's will introduce a new barbecued chicken sandwich with just 4 grams of fat next week.

But the success of products like the Monster Thickburger and Carl's Jr.'s Pastrami Burger, which cost more than standard fast-food burgers, has sent sales soaring, one expert said.

"It was a very smart move on their part," said Malcolm Knapp, president of restaurant research firm Malcolm M. Knapp Inc. "They are making more money."

CKE on Monday said wider profit margins, helped by the success of premium products, led to higher-than-expected quarterly earnings. The company's stock rose more than 14 percent the following day.

Other burger chains are also responding to consumer clamoring for beefier burgers.

Burger King International Corp. introduced the Angus Steak Burger, made with 100-percent Angus beef, in May as its high-end burger offering. So far, the product has exceeded expectations and is forecast to generate sales of about $500 million a year, according to the company's chief marketing officer, Russ Klein.

"The indulgent burger segment is as robust as it's ever been," Klein said in an interview, adding that sales of Angus Steak Burgers were two or three times those of its salads.

Wendy's International Inc., also, is currently promoting its Wild Mountain Bacon Cheeseburger, with Colby Jack cheese and spicy pepper sauce, though only for a limited time.

But don't expect No. 1 fast-food chain McDonald's, which has enjoyed overwhelming success with meal-sized salads and other new products like fried chicken strips, to get into the premium burger game any time soon, said one expert.

"It seems that McDonald's is marketing more toward families or women with children," said John Beisler, an analyst with Monarch Research. "They haven't been promoting their burger line as much and that strategy seems to be working for them."

Clandestino
12-17-2004, 01:43 PM
RE: Glenn Beck
COOL!

RE: Hardees, Carl's Jr
Awesome... they realize that people are responsible for their actions and fast food doesn't kill people.

JohnnyMarzetti
12-17-2004, 03:47 PM
You love him? Are you....gay?

I buy girl scout cookies so there!!!

NeoConIV
12-17-2004, 04:17 PM
What if I am gay? You a homophobe or something?

JohnnyMarzetti
12-17-2004, 04:52 PM
What if I am gay? You a homophobe or something?

Not there is anything wrong with that.

Everyone knows that conservatives are the homophobes with their fear of gay marriage ruining the "sanctity" of marriage when the divorce rate amongst conservatives is just as high, over 50%, as others.
Even Cheney is too ashamed of his daughter to speak about it.

NeoConIV
12-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Homophobia is neither conservative or liberal. But hey, good backpedaling there. Good show.

JohnnyMarzetti
12-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Back pedaling my ass!

Conservatives are the ones wanting to ban gay marriage.

back pedal on that!!

NeoConIV
12-17-2004, 05:00 PM
Marriage is the union of a man and a woman. How is that bashing gays?

SpursWoman
12-17-2004, 05:12 PM
Conservatives are the ones wanting to ban gay marriage.

back pedal on that!!

lmao......Kerry doesn't support gay marriages either, and he's about as liberal as they get.

:shootme

MosesGuthrie
12-17-2004, 05:20 PM
Wendy's International Inc., also, is currently promoting its Wild Mountain Bacon Cheeseburger, with Colby Jack cheese and spicy pepper sauce, though only for a limited time.

mmm...wild moutain bacon cheeseburger....

JohnnyMarzetti
12-17-2004, 06:04 PM
lmao......Kerry doesn't support gay marriages either, and he's about as liberal as they get.

:shootme

But he doesn't hate them like you bible thumping conservatives do.

Marriage can be between two people who love each other and the divorce rate proves that even conservatives don't take it seriously.

SpursWoman
12-17-2004, 06:25 PM
But he doesn't hate them like you bible thumping conservatives do.

Marriage can be between two people who love each other and the divorce rate proves that even conservatives don't take it seriously.

Sorry to burst your little self-righteously indignated bubble, but though I am conservative, I am neither bible-thumping nor anti-gay marriage.

And should I have been as quick to throw out insults as you apparently are, there'd be a great big "so go fuck yourself" in there somewhere. :)

exstatic
12-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Um, the ACLU is supporting Rash Lardball in his medical records case. See? They take up a cause I don't like, and I don't feel the need to insult them (The ACLU. Rash is fair game) , in fact, I understand why they exist. They are the counterbalance to the state and to entrenched institutions that feel like they are more important than the individual.

travis2
12-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Yes, such as the Democratic Party.

IcemanCometh
12-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Or the Republican party

Clandestino
12-18-2004, 12:18 PM
aclu sucks big time...they are trying to protects terrorists too... fuck em

IcemanCometh
12-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah because only you can decide who is deserving of protection.

Nbadan
12-19-2004, 05:42 AM
Ah, the power of stupidity. After the John Kerry Waffle float fiasco - in which one float caused a major traffic accident with injuries, and Glen Beck broadcasting (illegally) that Democrats should vote on Nov 3rd because of poll over-crowding, you would think that radio listeners would learn their lesson and realize that Glen Beck is nothing but a big bag of hot air.

It's great the the B.S.'s were able to capitalize on his stupidity, right?

CommanderMcBragg
12-19-2004, 07:42 AM
I was a Boy Scout and even in my time I was teased as being a sissy boy for being a Boy Scout. I eventually got kicked out for eating Brownies.

Yonivore
12-19-2004, 10:37 AM
"Everyone knows that conservatives are the homophobes..."
I guess the Log Cabin Conservatives didn't get the memo.