PDA

View Full Version : anyone here work 3rd shift?

blizz
10-06-2007, 03:27 PM
what's it like? how do you like it? is it THAT bad?

ZStomp
10-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I love it.

kingsfan
10-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I've been doing it 3 years and I really hate it now. No matter how much sleep you get during the day you're always tired, and assholes with normal schedules think you can talk on the phone all day or want to go hang out http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiflipoff.gif
Your body really never adjusts to being up all night. I think some of it depends on what you do. If you're active amd keep busy it's not AS bad but my job is sooo boring it makes it worse. it also puts a damper on your social life as most people just start going on out when it's time for me to work.
The one good thing about it is you usually make more $$ for working 3rd. shift http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/greedy.gif

ZStomp
10-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I've been doing it 3 years and I really hate it now. No matter how much sleep you get during the day you're always tired, and assholes with normal schedules think you can talk on the phone all day or want to go hang out http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smiflipoff.gif
Your body really never adjusts to being up all night. I think some of it depends on what you do. If you're active amd keep busy it's not AS bad but my job is sooo boring it makes it worse. it also puts a damper on your social life as most people just start going on out when it's time for me to work.
The one good thing about it is you usually make more $$ for working 3rd. shift http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/greedy.gif

I did it 3 years then in 2006 I started 'school' and now I've been back on 3rd shift since January and I love it. Rarely am I tired. If I get in bed by 7am...and wake up at 2ish, I'm fine. I adjusted rather well. I am never tired...especially if I get enough sleep. Obviously, if I don't get enough sleep I'll be tired but that's true if you work any shift.

blizz
10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
sounds like it's definitely do-able for 6 months or so

boutons_
10-06-2007, 05:31 PM
If you have, you have to, but not for a long time. It's well-studied and the reports are negative.

http://www.workershealth.com.au/facts043.html

http://www.occupationalhazards.com/News/Article/36665/Night_Workers_More_Prone_to_Major_Health_Problems. aspx

It's unnatural, shitty work. Chronically disrupted sleep is one of the worst things for your health.

Jekka
10-06-2007, 05:36 PM
I did third shift this past year, and the only thing I didn't like about it was having to run errands or meet people (who always made lunch appointments just to piss me off I swear) during the hours I needed to sleep. Otherwise, I liked the quiet, and I'm naturally a night person, so it worked out for the most part.

BigBeezie
10-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I have never done it, but I hear it's tough. It may be tough for you, as you will have a baby around, possibly keeping you awake.

blizz
10-06-2007, 09:05 PM
at this point, i just have to do what i have to do to square things away with bills, taxes etc etc and make the sacrifice for 6 months or so and then switch to a different shift. i just have to get in the door.

LuvBones
10-06-2007, 09:07 PM
good luck blizz! and check your pm!

Fat Bones
10-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I work a 12 hour shift work from 7am to 7 pm, Wed - Sat and every other Sunday, as well as my normal 8-5 Mon - Fri job.
As you might imagine, it sucks. Thursday night and Friday are torture at times trying stay awake and then working another eight hours after making 'til dawn...

It just really sucks hard. I've done it now since last November and it takes endurance. I can sleep anywhere, anytime, and I cherish any six hour stint of R.E.M.

It is accomplishing my goals of cleaning up my debt though. It can be done. I work with a guy attending UTSA and he has managed to maintain his GPA and the weird schedule as well.

ZStomp
10-07-2007, 07:21 PM
So you have two full time jobs?

Fat Bones
10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Zactly, Zstomp.

AlamoSpursFan
10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I used to work 10 pm - 6 am.

Two tips I can pass along:

1. It is easier to sleep during the day if you completely black out any windows in your bedroom, not just with blinds. Aluminum foil works wonders. I also recommend disconnecting your doorbell (if you have one).

2. They sell beer starting at 7 am and some bars open that early. Good ones (Make My Day on Naco Perrin comes to mind) crank up a bbq pit on Fridays and serve lunch to all the 3rd shifters and general lushes that show up at opening time. I used to LOVE the looks I'd get from the barely awake zombies in line at Stop 'N' Rob for buying 18 packs when they were buying coffee.

ZStomp
10-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Zactly, Zstomp.

Damn.

baseline bum
10-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I did it for 6 months, my body felt like hell, so I quit and got a 9 to 5.

10-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I work a 12 hour shift work from 7am to 7 pm, Wed - Sat and every other Sunday, as well as my normal 8-5 Mon - Fri job.
As you might imagine, it sucks. Thursday night and Friday are torture at times trying stay awake and then working another eight hours after making 'til dawn...

It just really sucks hard. I've done it now since last November and it takes endurance. I can sleep anywhere, anytime, and I cherish any six hour stint of R.E.M.

It is accomplishing my goals of cleaning up my debt though. It can be done. I work with a guy attending UTSA and he has managed to maintain his GPA and the weird schedule as well.

That sounds like a Dave Ramsey fan.

Fat Bones
10-07-2007, 08:59 PM
I haven't taken the time to listen to any of his shows lately, but there's no denying our interests are the same.

Jekka
10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I used to work 10 pm - 6 am.

Two tips I can pass along:

1. It is easier to sleep during the day if you completely black out any windows in your bedroom, not just with blinds. Aluminum foil works wonders. I also recommend disconnecting your doorbell (if you have one).

2. They sell beer starting at 7 am and some bars open that early. Good ones (Make My Day on Naco Perrin comes to mind) crank up a bbq pit on Fridays and serve lunch to all the 3rd shifters and general lushes that show up at opening time. I used to LOVE the looks I'd get from the barely awake zombies in line at Stop 'N' Rob for buying 18 packs when they were buying coffee.
I'll vouch for both of those tips. In fact, I've kept the foil on the window that lets in the most light now that I don't work third shift because the darkness is so great :)

And, do not feel guilty for having a cocktail at 7am when you get off your shift if you've had a hard night. You've really earned it at that point.

Fat Bones
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
It makes nooners more vital as well...and you only have time to date neighbors.

kingsfan
10-08-2007, 08:45 AM
The light doesn't bother me, it's the noise-mowers,kids playing, dogs, motorcycles etc. They always seem to get started when I'm trying to sleep. I tried earplugs but that doesn't help. I also have a part time day job so it's even harder for my body to adjust but from the links posted, that is very true. I have most of the things they listed. Even my doctor said working 12-8 is bad for my health. http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smidepressed.gif