PDA

View Full Version : Colorado vs AZ

ducks
10-06-2007, 08:46 PM
who wins and why?

JMarkJohns
10-06-2007, 09:27 PM
This is too much of a coin flip to have an opinion of worth. Webb's weakness is Colorado, both the ballpark and the team, so it'll be a tough series to win. They can, but it's no better than a 50/50 shot.

Xylus
10-06-2007, 09:55 PM
It will be a tight series, but the Rockies have to cool off sometime...

Right?

JMarkJohns
10-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Right?

I've been waiting on it for a few weeks now...

ducks
10-06-2007, 10:31 PM
so far the rockies have scored 15 runs in their series not as many as the snakes

JMarkJohns
10-06-2007, 10:36 PM
True, but they haven't played as many innings, either :)

OldDirtMcGirt
10-06-2007, 10:55 PM
This is too much of a coin flip to have an opinion of worth. Webb's weakness is Colorado, both the ballpark and the team, so it'll be a tough series to win. They can, but it's no better than a 50/50 shot.

Webby did have that big win in Colorado at the end of the season. Our guys our heating up, and this team just seems destined to win. I'll take Arizona in six.

T Park
10-06-2007, 11:23 PM
it goes 7 and the 7th game goes 17 innings.

Thats how close these two teams are.

Spurminator
10-07-2007, 12:41 AM
Still don't see the Rockies losing a series.

Colorado in 5.

misterx91578
10-07-2007, 12:49 AM
please everyone keep picking against the dbacks

SrA Husker
10-07-2007, 02:05 PM
I like Arizona - mainly because MLB does not move up playoff series after both teams sweep, so there are 5 days until the next NL game is played. Momentum for both teams will be diminished.

DOMINATOR
10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
i think Webb is going to have a bad first game... extra day rest for sinker ball pitchers typically hurts them.

Tippecanoe
10-07-2007, 05:12 PM
dbacks in 6

BeerIsGood!
10-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Colorado isn't the Rockies anymore, they're the fucking Avalanche. Arizona, like Philly, has had a good season and a damn nice run but they're about to get snowed over something fierce. Condonlences to the Diamondbacks for the atrocities they are about to endure.

johnsmith
10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Colorado isn't the Rockies anymore, they're the fucking Avalanche. Arizona, like Philly, has had a good season and a damn nice run but they're about to get snowed over something fierce. Condonlences to the Diamondbacks for the atrocities they are about to endure.

Have you always been a Rockies fan?

DOMINATOR
10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
doubt it... which one doesnt fit at all. Spurs, Cowboys, Rockies

johnsmith
10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
doubt it... which one doesnt fit at all. Spurs, Cowboys, Rockies

That's what I was thinking. I'm not going to complain as I'm a Rockies fan and have been since I saw their home opener in the early 90's when they played their first game ever in Colorado. I've been to literally hundreds of Rockies games in my life.

I just think it's weird how many people are suddenly fans. Again, I think it's awesome, just a little strange.

tsb2000
10-08-2007, 02:46 PM
DBacks in five- apparently everyone missed BWebb owning the Rocks in Coors Field in that last series that clinched the playoff berth for the Snakes.

Xylus
10-08-2007, 03:00 PM
If the series goes 7 games, Brandon Webb will pitch 3 times, most likely. Plus, the DBacks have home-field advantage. Plus, that 4 days of rest will hurt the Rockies (who are running on a hot streak right now) more than it will hurt the Diamondbacks.

I have the DBacks winning in 6. We won't need Game 7 to clinch, and Brandon Webb will be well-rested for the WS.

T Park
10-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Pitching wins in the playoffs.

The DBacks pitching, is SLIGHTLY better.

The Bullpen goes to the D Backs as well.

Hard not to root for the DBacks.

FromWayDowntown
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM

The same is true of the Rockies -- the gestures they've made toward the Coolbaugh family during this postseason have been truly remarkable. That's not to say anything about the D'Backs, of course; they win baseball games the right way. It's just that I'm going to root for the Rockies because I'm blown away by their collective sense of perspective.

JMarkJohns
10-08-2007, 08:55 PM
It's a reare series where you have two Cinderellas. If you haven't a horse in the race, or perhaps a girl at the dance would be better, then you are in a win/win situation. You have the underdog that overcomes, defying logic, their own limitations and critics to just win and you have the underdog that overcomes, defying expectations and odds to practically win out.

It's crazy...

johnsmith
10-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Pitching wins in the playoffs.

The DBacks pitching, is SLIGHTLY better.

The Bullpen goes to the D Backs as well.

So let me get this straight, you think the DBacks are a slight bit better then the Rockies and therefore you are going to root for the DBacks?

If this is correct, you are the biggest douche bag I've met. Who else do you root for, Patriots, Colts, Spurs, LSU??????

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Of course not. I'm just bandwagonning like a motha fucka like I always have to do this time of year because my team, the Texas Rangers, are one of the worst franchises in all of sports. I still love 'em, but god do they suck horribly. I find it more enjoyable to watch the playoffs if I actually care who wins or have money on the games, and right now I'm short of money, at least for gambling purposes.

I basically like the Rockies this year because I really like Clint Hurdle and the fact that they have been busting their ass under playoff pressure since the beginning of September just to get to this point. I'm indifferent about the Diamondbacks and Indians, and don't like the Red Sox.

JMarkJohns
10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
...they have been busting their ass under playoff pressure since the beginning of September just to get to this point.

Yeah, it must really suck to stay healthy all season long, build chemistry and never have to worry about replacing a vital cog along the way... all while your top competition, San Diego, loses Chris Young for much of the stretch run, then Bradley and Cameron for the final week while the division leader, Arizona, loses #2 starter Randy Johnson for the entire second half, Chad Tracy for pretty much all of it, and Gold-Glove second baseman and All-Star, Orlando Hudson for the final month.

If any team should have any respect for "busting their asses" all the way to the finish line, it should be Arizona who lost three of its most important pieces and replaced them with rookies, yet still managed to clinch the division on the road, but also sweep a series on the road.

Forgive me, and not to take anything away from Colorado, as they are a fabulous story and a great option to root for, they are not the "little engine that could" story that some media and fans are making them out to be. They didn't face a goddamn hill all season, let alone down the stretch.

EDIT: the phrase above was a bit too harsh in its construction and delivery and poorly reflects the intent of my post. Colorado deserves all the praise they got for making the playoffs, but as other teams had to put up with both playoff pressure in the final month AND devestating injuries, the Rockies were able to stay calm and sure of themselves the wind of great health and chemistry in their sails. They are to be commended for winning. I just don't agree with the exaggeration being thrown their way in how "they overcame" so much to make the playoffs when, in reality, all they did was beat some terribly floudering teams while the teams they were competing against suffere injury after injury down the stretch.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2007, 03:09 PM
They didn't face a goddamn hill all season, let alone down the stretch.

You mean other than being in 4th place in their own division and 5 full games behind San Diego for the wild card on September 17? Or other than being 2 full games behind both San Diego and New York with 2 days remaining in the regular season?

They've been fortunate, to be sure, and haven't faced the sorts of injury problems that the D'Backs have encountered, but it seems a bit off (to me, at least) to say that the Rockies haven't been something of a little engine that could since about mid-September.

JMarkJohns
10-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Yes, but with the injuries, it was less of a hill than just a mere incline. Yes, Colorado won out, but the Padres, without two fo their top-three bats and a lessened rotation, really came back to them.

Again, I love the Rockies story. They are great fun, but they had it just a wee bit easier than did other teams who truly sucked things up and just won.

However, I can see that my post diminishes the Rockies, which was not the intent. It's intent was to correct the notion of the them being "Rocky" rather than the Rockies.

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 03:15 PM
You mean other than being in 4th place and 5 full games behind San Diego on September 17?

That's what I was thinking. They had a horrible start to the season and dug themselves out of a huge hole to even get in the playoffs. Sure they remained relatively healthy, but a lot of that is because they are a very young team. I'm sorry, but if you have Randy Johnson as your starter in 2007 you are just asking for a season ending injury.

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Yes, but with the injuries, it was less of a hill than just a mere incline. Yes, Colorado won out, but the Padres, without two fo their top-three bats and a lessened rotation, really came back to them.

Again, I love the Rockies story. They are great fun, but they had it just a wee bit easier than did other teams who truly sucked things up and just won.

However, I can see that my post diminishes the Rockies, which was not the intent. It's intent was to correct the notion of the them being "Rocky" rather than the Rockies.

I don't think they had it easier than anyone else. Who else had a harder road? The Phillies? They made it because their division leader completely imploded under the pressure.

Injuries are part of the game, and older players will be more vulnerable than younger players. Also, regarding SD - if you lay your chips down with Milton Bradley you have to figure there's a big chance he'll implode mentally. As it was SD got the chance to go head to head with the Rockies and get to the PO, but they couldn't seal the deal.

JMarkJohns
10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
That's what I was thinking. They had a horrible start to the season and dug themselves out of a huge hole to even get in the playoffs. Sure they remained relatively healthy, but a lot of that is because they are a very young team. I'm sorry, but if you have Randy Johnson as your starter in 2007 you are just asking for a season ending injury.

And the Diamondbacks had a terrible middle part of the year, going from first to third in a matter of a week, and falling behind by as many as five games as late as August.

Every team has a bad stretch. Colorado was lucky there's was early. Much easier to overcome. See New York, Cleveland, Chicago and Philadelphia this very same year.

How many teams made the playoffs this year after losing its #2 starter, and two infielders, one a near-All-Star in 2006, and the other an All-Star in 2007, all for vast majority of the stretch run?

I can think of the Angels, and they were promtly swept after losing Colon and Matthews. Teams facing similar all faded, see Detroit, New York Mets, San Diego, Brewers...

JMarkJohns
10-09-2007, 03:33 PM
OK, i'm leaving my posts up because I entered them in haste and should take the flak for putting out an opinion that didn't mesh with my intent.

Colorado is a very, very good team and one worth rooting for. They have played great down the stretch and it is in no way my intent to deminish anything they've accomplished.

All I'll say is that they didn't overcome near as much as some make it out. Having sustained health at the perfect time of year, they took full advantage of teams going through the same pressure, plus issues like key - if not devestating - injuries. They are to be acclaimed for taking full advantage of these teams, making the most of the opportunities presented them, but in no way is it harder to win games when healthy than when scrambling, trying to plug holes last minute under the pressure of a division race. They had immense luck, and capitalized. Other teams, like the Diamondbacks suffered terrible injuries that could have easily ended their season, yet they overcame, sucked it up and won crucial games on the road to clinch a playoff birth, and its playoff series.

It's not to take anything away from the Rockies that I say this. It's to put things into proper perspective, and to bring some opinions of the Rockies "miracle" back down to earth.

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 03:33 PM
And the Diamondbacks had a terrible middle part of the year, going from first to third in a matter of a week, and falling behind by as many as five games as late as August.

Every team has a bad stretch. Colorado was lucky there's was early. Much easier to overcome. See New York, Cleveland, Chicago and Philadelphia this very same year.

How many teams made the playoffs this year after losing its #2 starter, and two infielders, one a near-All-Star in 2006, and the other an All-Star in 2007, all for vast majority of the stretch run?

I can think of the Angels, and they were promtly swept after losing Colon and Matthews. Teams facing similar all faded, see Detroit, New York Mets, San Diego, Brewers...

The Diamondbacks had a very impressive year for sure. They were the more consistent team throughout the season and they put themselves in a good position to win the division and not have to run out to get in the PO. It's going to be a good series between two good teams with great chemistry, and the better team will move on to the WS.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
To be sure, if someone put a gun to my head and made me make a prediction, I'd take the D'Backs, probably in 6.

Colorado plays exceptional defense and has a pretty good balance offensively, but I think the D'Backs staff is probably better and I generally favor teams that pitch well and can manufacture runs over teams that play great defense but rely on big bats to produce offense. That's an oversimplification of what the series presents -- Colorado can manufacture some runs and Arizona plays can certainly play big ball at times -- but I think the general form holds.

The D'Backs can (and should) put a lot of pressure on Torrealba and the rest of the Rockies' defense by moving runners frequently. I think the Rockies are going to have to play for runs when they can get them, too -- this isn't the Phillies pitching staff and the D'Backs showed the Cubs the difficulty with trying to play for the big inning.

JMarkJohns
10-09-2007, 03:37 PM
The Diamondbacks had a very impressive year for sure. They were the more consistent team throughout the season and they put themselves in a good position to win the division and not have to run out to get in the PO. It's going to be a good series between two good teams with great chemistry, and the better team will move on to the WS.

Agreed. I'm scared to death of these Rockies. They are very, very good, and what's worse, is they know it. They are like that computer system in the Terminator films. Once they became self aware, they just started destroying people.

JMarkJohns
10-09-2007, 03:39 PM
To be sure, if someone put a gun to my head and made me make a prediction, I'd take the D'Backs, probably in 6.

Colorado plays exceptional defense and has a pretty good balance offensively, but I think the D'Backs staff is probably better and I generally favor teams that pitch well and can manufacture runs over teams that play great defense but rely on big bats to produce offense. That's an oversimplification of what the series presents -- Colorado can manufacture some runs and Arizona plays can certainly play big ball at times -- but I think the general form holds.

The D'Backs can (and should) put a lot of pressure on Torrealba and the rest of the Rockies' defense by moving runners frequently. I think the Rockies are going to have to play for runs when they can get them, too -- this isn't the Phillies pitching staff and the D'Backs showed the Cubs the difficulty with trying to play for the big inning.

Great take. I really don't think one can have a "real" opinion on this series. The teams are far too even. Every came could be close, and even if the series ends earlier than seven, it'll probably be like a Spurs/Suns series where one or two plays either way determines a game, which could determine the series.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2007, 04:17 PM
I think one interesting decision is Hurdle's choice to match Francis against Webb. I can certainly see the point of having your best guy in Game 1 and pitting him against the other guy's best guy. But the difference between Francis and Webb strikes me as fairly substantial. If I was Hurdle, I think I'd be inclined to throw my third or fourth guy in Game 1 and save Francis for Game 3 and, if necessary, Game 7 on relatively regular rest. It would be an unconventional move -- to say the least; it probably speaks volumes to why I'm not a major league manager. I can see that starting your ace against another team's ace gives you a chance to win if the other team's ace slips up just a little bit; but if the ace is great and your guy is just slightly not as good, you've essentially wasted your best arm in a game that you were going to struggle to win even under the best of circumstances.

tsb2000
10-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I'm calling it. The Rockies' bubble is bursting Thursday at the Chase. :spin

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-11-2007, 07:02 PM
My pick and NLCS wish: Seven games.

Whisky Dog
10-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Rockies will win.

JMarkJohns
10-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I think one interesting decision is Hurdle's choice to match Francis against Webb. I can certainly see the point of having your best guy in Game 1 and pitting him against the other guy's best guy. But the difference between Francis and Webb strikes me as fairly substantial. If I was Hurdle, I think I'd be inclined to throw my third or fourth guy in Game 1 and save Francis for Game 3 and, if necessary, Game 7 on relatively regular rest. It would be an unconventional move -- to say the least; it probably speaks volumes to why I'm not a major league manager. I can see that starting your ace against another team's ace gives you a chance to win if the other team's ace slips up just a little bit; but if the ace is great and your guy is just slightly not as good, you've essentially wasted your best arm in a game that you were going to struggle to win even under the best of circumstances.

I think it's calculated genius. If Francis, who's a lefty vs. the predominantly righty lineup of Arizona, can pull a Zambrano and match Webb inning for inning, or even pull out the better start, then he can really take the wind out of Arizona's sails. Arizona is banking on great starts from Webb and quality starts from everyone else. If the Rockies can come in to Arizona and defeat Webb in game one, then they'll cut the legs off of Arizona's grand plan.

It's a risk, but in my opinion, the reward is greater than the risk as noone can guess what kind of starts Arizona will get from Davis, Hernandez and Owings. We can guess, but we have no idea.

JMarkJohns
10-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Webb CLEARLY does not have his best stuff. he's falling behind to every batter since the first inning. He'll be lucky to last six. He's already given up two runs.

resistanze
10-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Better get Webb outta there

JMarkJohns
10-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Better get Webb outta there

Can't. He's their horse. You've got to ride him until at least the fifth. See if he can right the ship, eat some innings and allow you offense to make up some ground. Francis hasn't been "on" either, thus far.

Still, it's going to be a long night. Webb just isn't Webb vs. the Rockies.

Xylus
10-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Strangely, Webb has struggled mightily against this season's Rockies club, while Doug Davis and Livan Hernandez have fared pretty well, I believe. I don't have the stats on me, unfortunately.

I doubt Webb gives up another run in the next few innings. We just have to hope our offense can get the better of Francis.

Xylus
10-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Awesome retaliation there, guys. Francis must be worn out.

resistanze
10-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Unfortunately, that inning was too quick I think. Let's see if Webb can come back strong.

Xylus
10-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Fuckin' A. We look like the Cubs out there.

Slinkyman
10-11-2007, 09:49 PM

look more like the Suns during a 7 game series with the Spurs.

resistanze
10-11-2007, 10:00 PM
WTH are they doing?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Apparently, this game is being played in Detroit.

DOMINATOR
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
and the fans look like cubs fans!

the Arizona Cubs!

resistanze
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
What a bunt by Cirillo!

ducks
10-11-2007, 10:10 PM
lets knock in those runners

ducks
10-11-2007, 10:13 PM
time to tie the ballgame up MR DREW

Xylus
10-11-2007, 10:13 PM
A couple of douchebags throwing water bottles and trash on the field is hardly representative of the Diamondback fanbase. Usually we're a very calm crowd.

Even though I loathe the people causing the ruckus, it's nice to see the crowd in a tizzy.

ducks
10-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Get Loud

ducks
10-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Fuck

FromWayDowntown
10-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I think it's calculated genius. If Francis, who's a lefty vs. the predominantly righty lineup of Arizona, can pull a Zambrano and match Webb inning for inning, or even pull out the better start, then he can really take the wind out of Arizona's sails. Arizona is banking on great starts from Webb and quality starts from everyone else. If the Rockies can come in to Arizona and defeat Webb in game one, then they'll cut the legs off of Arizona's grand plan.

It's a risk, but in my opinion, the reward is greater than the risk as noone can guess what kind of starts Arizona will get from Davis, Hernandez and Owings. We can guess, but we have no idea.

There's obviously a reason that Clint Hurdle is managing the Rockies and I'm not.

DOMINATOR
10-11-2007, 10:39 PM
i think Webb is going to have a bad first game... extra day rest for sinker ball pitchers typically hurts them.

woo looks like i was right.

webb will own in game 4 though.

FromWayDowntown
10-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a game end on an overslide like that one -- every day, something new.

BeerIsGood!
10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
I didn't realize that Webb had been hit that hard vs the Rockies, I think I heard them say the Rockies have won 7 of the last 10 against AZ when Webb starts going back to last year.

Either way, it was a great game 1 road win and they didn't even bloody anyone's nose. Good pitching, great defense, great baserunning and decent hitting = game 1 win.

Keep it up Rockies. One down. Three to go.

BeerIsGood!
10-11-2007, 11:01 PM
Also, I thought one of the knocks on Kaz was that he shy'd away from contact, but he stood in twice and made plays against a charging baserunner. I was surprised to see him hang tough.

Erect as a Bull
10-12-2007, 02:09 AM
I was born and raised a Yankees fan but the Rockies are my 2nd favorite team and my favorite NL team. I live 6 hours from them and Go to about 5-10 games a year. I go to games when the crowd is 15,000. :lol And I was at game 3 of the NLDS and I have NLCS tickets. I'm a fan of baseball and I'm loving that the Rockies are doing good.

I would love to bring a title to Denver and see how excited the City goes.

Since the Yankees are done. GO Rockies. :)

JMarkJohns
10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
look more like the Suns during a 7 game series with the Spurs.

By this do you mean "non-existant" :) :depressed

Game sucked. That's all there is to say.

Davis is going tonight. He's got a just-over 3 ERA vs. the Rockies this season. Livo goes tomorrow and has a sub-2 ERA vs. the Rockies this season.

We'll just have to see.

ducks
10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
webb will pitch better
they got the exact same number of hits as rockies but only scored once
game sucked webb had to much rest
should have thrown more pitches on the side

BeerIsGood!
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Hate to break it to ya fellas, but it's only downhill from here. I think Davis gets hit tonight, and if the DBacks lose this game then it's probably going to be a relatively short series ending in 5 or 6.

JMarkJohns
10-12-2007, 11:00 AM
You may be right. It's never easy banking on two pitchers who are way too damn inconsistant to get you back in the series.

*said in best Forest Gump accent*
"(Double-D and Livo) are like a bwox of choc-lates. Ya n'ver know what yer gonna gyet!"

ducks
10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Hate to break it to ya fellas, but it's only downhill from here. I think Davis gets hit tonight, and if the DBacks lose this game then it's probably going to be a relatively short series ending in 5 or 6.
that maybe true but you also are a rockie fan and you might be a little bias

davis has a proven record against this club
mentally he should be on

Burn531
10-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Way to show support for your team D Backs fans:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/f1/fullj.getty-77206335cc059_nlcs_colorado.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/f2/fullj.getty-77206335cp009_nlcs_colorado.jpg

Maybe tonights later start will bring more fans to the ballpark?

JMarkJohns
10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Way to show support for your team D Backs fans:

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/f1/fullj.getty-77206335cc059_nlcs_colorado.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/f2/fullj.getty-77206335cp009_nlcs_colorado.jpg

Maybe tonights later start will bring more fans to the ballpark?

Way to be on the up and up dipshit! We already covered this in another thread. The pictures you posted were around 5:30 p.m. on a freakin' work day! Phoenix is so spread out it can take an hour to drive from one end to the other. This doesn't even take into account rush-hour traffic, construction (which is a constant in and around Phoenix) and those who had to go home to pick up there families before heading to the ballpark.

How many people are even able to get home by 5:30 p.m. on a worknight, let alone home and to a ballpark 20 or so miles away?

Burn531
10-12-2007, 08:16 PM
According to this reporter the upper deck had plenty of empty seats.
--------------------------------------
Hello? Any Diamondbacks fans out there?
By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports
October 12, 2007

PHOENIX – The view from Section 307, Row 40, Seat 13 – the one that not a single person of the four million living in the Phoenix metropolitan area cared to inhabit Thursday night during the biggest baseball game of the Arizona Diamondbacks' season – was quite nice. Take in a few innings from that seat down the right-field line, the field unfolding in an expansive portrait, and the game feels so much more real than TV's microwave-popcorn version of it.

Hector Tapia and Eddie Reyes, sitting three seats down from lucky No. 13, didn't know until 8 a.m. Thursday that they would come to Game 1 of the National League championship series. During homeroom at Summit High, the 18-year-old seniors' teacher told them that because of their perfect attendance this year, each would receive a ticket – face value: $60 – gratis.

"And even then we weren't going to come," Hector said, "but we figured we had free tickets."

The announced attendance for Thursday night's game, a 5-1 victory by the surging Colorado Rockies over the Diamondbacks, was 48,142. A sellout, the Diamondbacks said. Maybe, even with Seat 13 surrounded by thousands of cousins in emptiness during the first pitch, it was. Perhaps every person in Section 307 got caught in the same traffic jam because they had to scramble after the dog ate their tickets. Or it could be that someone bought up all the remaining tickets and gave them away – some, say, to local schools.

A Diamondbacks spokesman said he did not believe the franchise had bought tickets, though if majority owner Ken Kendrick and his partners did, who could blame them? So much talk leading up to Game 1 focused on the flaccid ticket sales, taking away from the fact that Arizona has built itself up from the 111-loss mess of 2004 to the winningest team in the National League.

Now, on the biggest stage since the Diamondbacks' 2001 World Series championship, the great fans of Phoenix – which is creeping up on Atlanta for most pathetic sports city in America – couldn't bother to watch their team host a division rival hotter than any team since Oakland won 20 straight in 2002.

The Diamondbacks deserve better than this city.

They deserve better fans, too, than some of those who showed up, drank too much and decided to throw bottles on the field after umpire Larry Vanover called interference in the seventh inning on Justin Upton's hard slide into second base, forcing an automatic double play. Plastic bottles – some still heavy with liquid inside – rained onto the outfield grass and warning track, and umpires delayed the game and pulled the Rockies off the field to restore order.

"I'm not scared of plastic bottles," Rockies left fielder Matt Holliday said. "I lift weights for a reason. In case mayhem breaks out at the field and they start throwing stuff, I've got muscles."

Holliday, spared from a direct hit, could kid. The Diamondbacks couldn't. Now they had to apologize for two sets of fans: the handful of idiots who showed up and the thousands of apathetic ones who didn't.

To the right of Seat 13 sat Nick Johnson, Jordan Kaye and Brian Aden, all 9, who had moved up to the $60 seats from their $25 ones. Kaye's father, Sean, came up to check on the kids, and, bless the man, tried to defend the dozens of empties that surrounded him.

"This stadium is huge," Kaye began.

"Give the sense it's a hard ticket to get and people will want it more," he continued.

"Look at everything going on here: Cardinals, Coyotes, preseason Suns, 6-0 (Arizona State football)," he explained.

"We have really good TV numbers," he elucidated.

"We got spoiled going to the playoffs after the second season and winning the World Series after the fourth," he rationalized.

So, he was all right with this.

"Um. OK. I wish there were more fans," Kaye said. "We are the biggest bandwagon fans here."

The biggest shame is that a series dying for exposure – Game 2's East Coast start time: around 10:20 p.m. – can't even sell one of the cities participating. What kind of impression does it give those who might stay up past midnight to watch a game with two unfamiliar teams when the host city pretends like that game barely exists?

On StubHub, the ticket resale site, the lowest price for Game 1 of the ALCS in Boston was $200, the highest $1,730. For Game 3 in Cleveland, the prices were $75 and $1,990. Even for Game 3 in Colorado, which sold out almost immediately, the cheapest went for $85 and the priciest $1,200.

Anyone interested in Game 2 here can get in for $15.90.

And in case a big group wants to go, as of midnight here, blocks of up to 18 tickets were available for Game 2 on MLB.com.

"You'd think the National League championship series would sell out," Holliday said.

Certainly you would, though the Atlanta Braves made a habit of not selling out the NLCS – as recently as 2001, when they faced the Diamondbacks, who, too, couldn't even pack in 40,000 for Game 1 with Randy Johnson starting.

This isn't the Diamondbacks' fault, and it's not Major League Baseball's, either. Sometimes, it's incumbent upon a city to adopt a franchise, and even if the fans chuckle at the public address announcer's imploring fans to chant along to the "Anybody, anytime" catchphrase and roll their eyes at the team's theme song with the chorus "It's a fact, Jack, I back, you back, we back the D'backs," they should support the team by, at very least, showing up.

On the walk back down to the main concourse from Section 307, Row 40, Seat 13, a sign greets those about to leave the stadium.

THE D-BACKS THANK THE BEST FANS IN BASEBALL

Too bad those fans refuse to thank the Diamondbacks in kind.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AilAs03sI10bj6.XaGScBJkRvLYF?slug=jp-dbacksfans101107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Dirk Nowitzki
10-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Comon Rockies. You guys are my pick to win the world series! Keep it going! :clap :clap :clap

Erect as a Bull
10-13-2007, 02:02 AM
The Rockies just find ways to win. :lol

Great stuff.

Go Rockies

I'll be at games 3,4, and 5.

Heres to a world series birth. :elephant:

johnsmith
10-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Ducks, why do you root against everything in Colorado?

johnsmith
10-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Oh, and LMFAO at everyone who continues to predict the Rockies to lose.

JMarkJohns
10-13-2007, 10:09 AM
According to this reporter the upper deck had plenty of empty seats.
--------------------------------------
Hello? Any Diamondbacks fans out there?
By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports
October 12, 2007

The announced attendance for Thursday night's game, a 5-1 victory by the surging Colorado Rockies over the Diamondbacks, was 48,142. A sellout, the Diamondbacks said. Maybe, even with Seat 13 surrounded by thousands of cousins in emptiness during the first pitch, it was. Perhaps every person in Section 307 got caught in the same traffic jam because they had to scramble after the dog ate their tickets. Or it could be that someone bought up all the remaining tickets and gave them away – some, say, to local schools.

Again... what part of 5:30 p.m. start time do people refuse to understand?

johnsmith
10-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Again... what part of 5:30 p.m. start time do people refuse to understand?

Furthermore, who gives a fucking shit? It's typical san antonio jealousy. They wish they had more then one sport so they knock all other cities.

Game time was early bitches, get over it.

Go Rockies. Ducks blows.

JMarkJohns
10-13-2007, 10:28 AM
That was a tough game to lose, in more way than one. Now the Diamondbacks are going to have to take two of three just to get back home. That's rough. To tie the game in the 9th, then blow it in the 11th sucks... Give credit where credit is due. Rockies out-D'backed the D'backs last night.

ducks
10-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Ducks, why do you root against everything in Colorado?
I actually like the rockies
I want it to go 5-6 games
I want the games to be close
I have went to rockies games
used to live 4 hours from them 10 years ago
I want either the rockies or diamondbacks to win it all

What I do not like is the fact everyone is underestimating the diamondbacks

they are a very solid club

and ofcourse I do not like nuggets because I like the spurs
and ofcourse I do not like bronco's because I like the chargers!

ducks
10-13-2007, 11:15 AM
yes because the rockies have proven so much in the postseason :rolleyes

atleast the diamondbacks won it all!

Extra Stout
10-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Furthermore, who gives a fucking shit? It's typical san antonio jealousy. They wish they had more then one sport so they knock all other cities.

Game time was early bitches, get over it.

Go Rockies. Ducks blows.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports is from San Antonio?

Erect as a Bull
10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
yes because the rockies have proven so much in the postseason :rolleyes

atleast the diamondbacks won it all!

:lol yea but this year its the Rockies year.

I love how people count them out all the time.

Coors field will be Rocking on Sunday Night.
If you want to see a real crowd then watch the games on Sunday and Monday.

None of this shit like it is in Arizona. :lol

misterx91578
10-14-2007, 01:54 AM
:lol yea but this year its the Rockies year.

I love how people count them out all the time.

Coors field will be Rocking on Sunday Night.
If you want to see a real crowd then watch the games on Sunday and Monday.

None of this shit like it is in Arizona. :lol

how are the rockies counted out 9 out of 10 espn experts picked the rockies to win the series

Erect as a Bull
10-14-2007, 03:51 AM
how are the rockies counted out 9 out of 10 espn experts picked the rockies to win the series

Yea but a bunch of fans and media people dont think so. It seems like every series people say they wont win. I'd love to see them just coast to a World Series title.

And Only like half of baseball tonight picked them.
I think 2 said Rockies and 2 said D-backs, You fucking Jewish Cunt!

25 out of thier last 26 games.
That would be the greatest streak in the history pretty much.
They just dont know how to lose.
and IMO the Phillies are much better then the D-backs so I expected this series to be easy. I thought the Phillies series would be tough.

If they get by the D-backs we will see how much they have left vs an AL team.

It should be exciting. :elephant:

FromWayDowntown
10-14-2007, 10:34 AM
I think 2 said Rockies and 2 said D-backs, You fucking Jewish Cunt!

Well, that should increase the level of discourse around here . . . . .

What I don't get is how people offering an honest opinion about how the series will turn out is a sign of disrespect for the Rockies -- that is the point you're suggesting here, isn't it?

One team has to win the series and one team has to lose. The Diamondbacks had a better record than the Rockies did this season and, IMO, beat a better team than the Phillies in the LDS. It doesn't strike me as unreasonable, given the better record and the argument that the D'Backs beat a better first playoff opponent, for someone to conclude before this series began that the D'Backs might actually have a chance to win.

When did we reach the point that people picking against a team are disrespecting it?

People saying a team sucks are disrespecting that team; people saying that they're not going to win a particular playoff series aren't saying that team sucks -- they're saying that they think the other team is better. Someone HAS TO BE better in every series and it can't be that everytime a prognosticator chooses, he or she is disrespecting the team not chosen to win.

Our notions of respect and disrespect have no relationship to the meaning of those words . . . .

BeerIsGood!
10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
I don't know if the Cubs are better than the Phillies. With the 100 year choke factor I'd definitely give the edge to the Phillies.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-14-2007, 08:46 PM
What a grab by Ojeda!

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-14-2007, 09:03 PM
After reading this thread, I really wish I had been made aware that whichever team I picked need not actually play the games to win the series.

Man, I could have saved a lot of airfare expenses.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM
Damn nice swing from Torrealba.

Erect as a Bull
10-15-2007, 01:41 AM
That was a fun game to be at. That Ojeda catch was right in front of me. Un-freaking-believable. One of the better snags I've seen in a while. Great Juggling act.

Hopefully the Rockies take care of business at home on Monday. :elephant:

johnsmith
10-15-2007, 08:54 AM
What I don't get is how people offering an honest opinion about how the series will turn out is a sign of disrespect for the Rockies -- that is the point you're suggesting here, isn't it?

No, that wasn't the point I was suggesting............now all that typing seems like a waste doesn't it?

DOMINATOR
10-15-2007, 09:07 PM
i think it's a mistake starting Owings over Webb.

if you pitched Webb tonight you could start him again for game 7.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2007, 09:18 PM
i think it's a mistake starting Owings over Webb.

if you pitched Webb tonight you could start him again for game 7.

Webb's been cruches by the Rockies on full rest. Why pitch him on short rest? Owings is young and may be stupid enough to not know how big this game is ... Though, Owings hasn't pitched in like two weeks. Maybe that's TOO rested? Still, I think you need to give your youngster a taste of postseason play. You can't waste an entire postseason and not pitch a healthy starter who may be your #2 pitcher the following season...

DOMINATOR
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Owings is young and may be stupid enough to not know how big this game is ...
what a dumb statement that is... how could he not know if he does bad his team is going home. there is no tomorrow for the D'backs

BeerIsGood!
10-15-2007, 10:04 PM
The Rockies own Webb. They've beaten him something like 8 of the last 11 times they've faced him. Throwing him at the Rockies on short rest would be suicide.

BeerIsGood!
10-15-2007, 10:08 PM
what a dumb statement that is... how could he not know if he does bad his team is going home. there is no tomorrow for the D'backs

His point was valid. A young pitcher is more likely to just go out and throw regardless of the situation. Just like John Lackey in game 7 of the WS for the Angels. It's not preferred to having a tested veteran, but it can be an advantage for a young guy as long as he has great stuff.

DOMINATOR
10-15-2007, 10:14 PM
His point was valid. A young pitcher is more likely to just go out and throw regardless of the situation. Just like John Lackey in game 7 of the WS for the Angels. It's not preferred to having a tested veteran, but it can be an advantage for a young guy as long as he has great stuff.
iv'e heard it many times... i just don't believe in it.

TheTruth
10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Why is a young player more likely to just go out there and throw with no pressure? He hasn't grown up knowing that you lose 4 games and your done? I'll take my Cy Young winner over a young guy that doesn't "know any better".

FromWayDowntown
10-15-2007, 10:41 PM
This thing could get really interesting if the D'Backs are able to find a way to win tonight. With Webb looming in Game 5 and Games 6 & 7 in Phoenix, the D'Backs aren't out of this quite yet.

The Rockies own Webb. They've beaten him something like 8 of the last 11 times they've faced him. Throwing him at the Rockies on short rest would be suicide.

That's incorrect. Since 2005, Webb has made 14 starts against the Rockies. He's 5-4 in those starts and the D'Backs are 3-2 in games in which Webb hasn't figured in the decision, so he couldn't have lost 8 of 11 -- he's won 5 of 9 and his team has won 8 of 14.

Webb's career record against the Rockies is 8-7 in 21 starts with a 3.89 ERA.

TheTruth
10-15-2007, 11:03 PM
What an insane run by the Rockies.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, he's falling apart this inning, but before that was pitching very well.

The point is that Owings is a talent that doesn't know the pressure. Just like many a young pitcher before him, he may have presented the best opportunity to just go out and pitch. Webb is great, but on short rest, vs. these Rockies, I don't think he'd be "Webb" as most think of him.

Like I said, he's fallen apart here, and maybe this is where having a veteran comes in handy, but I think it's good he's learning.

TheTruth
10-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Truly a team playing at another level right now. Holliday just crushed that one. Almost wish that the Rockies were around when my dad was young. That way I wouldn't have to be a Reds fan right now. :smokin

TheTruth
10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Well, he's falling apart this inning, but before that was pitching very well.

The point is that Owings is a talent that doesn't know the pressure. Just like many a young pitcher before him, he may have presented the best opportunity to just go out and pitch. Webb is great, but on short rest, vs. these Rockies, I don't think he'd be "Webb" as most think of him.

Like I said, he's fallen apart here, and maybe this is where having a veteran comes in handy, but I think it's good he's learning.
How does he not know the pressure though? He doesn't realize that it's do or die? I don't buy it.

FromWayDowntown
10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
This thing could get really interesting if the D'Backs are able to find a way to win tonight. With Webb looming in Game 5 and Games 6 & 7 in Phoenix, the D'Backs aren't out of this quite yet.

Of course, that depended on the D'Backs finding a way to win Game 4.

The Rockies have definitely earned this sucker. They've been absolutely fantastic at every point that they needed to be just good.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2007, 11:09 PM
How does he not know the pressure though? He doesn't realize that it's do or die? I don't buy it.

You can't know until you're in that position. He's never pitched in the playoffs. My statement is equal to that of ignorance is bliss. He pitched very well until this inning. He obviously knows it's do or die, but being young and ignorant of the pressure, perhaps he could have gone a solid six or seven. Until this inning, it looked likely. Now it's moot.

Oh well... Congrats to the Rockies and their fans. Lord knows they've waited for this day.

BeerIsGood!
10-15-2007, 11:21 PM

That's incorrect. Since 2005, Webb has made 14 starts against the Rockies. He's 5-4 in those starts and the D'Backs are 3-2 in games in which Webb hasn't figured in the decision, so he couldn't have lost 8 of 11 -- he's won 5 of 9 and his team has won 8 of 14.

Webb's career record against the Rockies is 8-7 in 21 starts with a 3.89 ERA.

Hmm, during game 1 the broadcasters stated that the Rockies had won 7 of the previous 10 games against Arizona that Webb started going back to last season. It's not a surprise that they were wrong.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
I don't know what Webb is lifetime vs. the Rockies. I know he's got like a 6 ERA and a 1-4 record vs. them this season, however ... with every start on full rest. On short rest? Not sure he'd even fair that good.

Rockies are looking unstoppable right now. Maybe they are just hot? Maybe they are just this good? I'll be rooting for them vs. whomever the AL sends.

10-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Long layoff could derail the Rockies.

The Tigers had to wait 9 days last year and it played a hand in their demise.

Last thing the Rockies want to do is wait around when they're playing this well.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2007, 11:28 PM
That's true, but that's what I was hoping for this series. Series was done on Saturday, didn't play until Wednesday, yet it didn't slow 'em down one bit.

10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
AZ has given the Rockies way too many extra outs in this series.

How many unearned runs this series?

JMarkJohns
10-15-2007, 11:33 PM
I think they just said it was a total of six. I think three or four in this game alone.

BeerIsGood!
10-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Since their game is heavy on defense I don't think a long layoff will hurt them much. Defense can stay consistent while a hot offensive streak is difficult to maintain. If they play the Indians I think they have a great chance to win it all, but the Red Sox would be a tougher matchup for them IMO.

BeerIsGood!
10-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Shiiiiiit, they got lax with the lead and Fuentes had flashbacks to his closer days. Now they're making it hard on themselves

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-16-2007, 12:45 AM
What a fucking ride for the Rox!

BeerIsGood!
10-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Holliday got the LCS MVP because of his season. Other than his HR tonight I thought he was subpar for the series. Although, I'm not sure who else deserved it more as everyone was pretty subpar offensively but several got clutch hits at different times and everyone was stellar defensively.

I might have given it to Corpus.

T Park
10-16-2007, 01:02 AM
Taveras for his diving catch in game 2 that saved the series.

misterx91578
10-16-2007, 01:07 AM
congrats to the rockies

DOMINATOR
10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
i'll start a Cy young sinker ball pitcher on short rest in any win or go home situation.
my opinion: short rest does not hurt sinker ball pitchers. hurts pitchers that rely on location only.

hope the rockies sweep whoever is in the AL.

johnsmith
10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Taveras for his diving catch in game 2 that saved the series.

Saving the series implies that there was a point in which there was a doubt who would win the series.

JMarkJohns
10-16-2007, 10:35 AM
i'll start a Cy young sinker ball pitcher on short rest in any win or go home situation.
my opinion: short rest does not hurt sinker ball pitchers. hurts pitchers that rely on location only.

hope the rockies sweep whoever is in the AL.

Funny thing about Webb's sinker, if he hasn't the location, he tends to become very wild. It was just in 2005 when he led the NL in walks. He's become much better, but that's all because of location.

The Rockies tend to lay off the first handful of pitches Webb throws. Every third or fourth batter gets the count full or into 3-1/3-0 counts where Webb has to throw a straight fastball. I'm telling you, as someone who's watched Webb pitched probably 80% of his games played since he came up to the bigs, if his command/location is off, he's doomed.

ducks
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
congrat rockies
I hope they win it all
I hope they do not read the press and beat the hell out of the indians or sox

Reggie Miller
10-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Watching the Rockies right now is like watching the Spurs last postseason: You just know they're going to win. The only suspense is HOW. It never even occurred to me that Smith wouldn't prolong the big inning.