PDA

View Full Version : Isiah Speaks...

Pooh
08-30-2003, 07:05 AM
August 30, 2003

BY PARRY FARRELL
Detroit Free Press Columnist

Friday night, and Isiah Thomas was still trying to shake off the cobwebs.

Larry Bird's firing of the former Piston still stung. "I just think he wanted to go in a different direction, and I think he wanted to hire Rick," Thomas said. "He's the boss and he can do that."

Rick is Rick Carlisle, the Pistons' former coach, who'll be named the Pacers' coach sometime early next week, possibly Tuesday.

Bird said he and Thomas had talked just twice since Bird was hired on July 14.

"I think this is about the only time I've ever been accused of not communicating," Thomas said.

It was also the first time he had been fired. He said he didn't believe his prior relationship and heated on-the-court battles with Bird had any effect on his firing.

Obviously, Bird's comfort level with Carlisle is better than it was with Thomas, who was in Puerto Rico watching Jermaine O'Neal and the U.S. basketball team compete in the qualifying tournament when he was summoned back to Indy.

Thomas was criticized after Indiana lost 19 of its last 30 games and bowing out in the first round of the playoffs for the third straight year.

"You take away Reggie Miller and we average 23 years of age," said Thomas, who compiled a 131-115 record and was coming off his best year at 48-34. "The challenge I was given was to play the young players and compete. We did that. The first year we take New Jersey to five games with Sam Perkins, Jalen (Rose) and (Derrick) McKey. The next year we get Ron Artest and we have Jermaine. This past year we have our first training camp with those guys and we win 48 games and Detroit wins 50. New Jersey wins 49 and gets to the NBA Finals."

His voice never rose past the quiet, well-thought-out tone he uses when he's in control of his emotions.

"They talked about the last 30 games this year; we had two deaths and an attempted suicide to deal with," said Thomas of some behind-the-scenes problems he faced off the court with his players.

An O'Neal family member tried to commit suicide with a shotgun.

Point guard Jamaal Tinsley's mother was in a life-and-death situation in Washington and every other day he was going back and forth from Indy to DC.

"She was in intensive care and every day she was on her death bed," said Thomas.

"Every game we had one or two starters missing and we're going on the road playing tough teams with just three of our starters out there. We still won 48 games."

So he'll sit and wait to decide whether he wants to go to the broadcast booth or wait for another job. In the meantime, he can hang out with his kids, Joshua and Lauren.

"I can use this situation for my son and daughter as a great teaching example on how to handle a situation when you get knocked down and point out how you get back up and keep fighting," Thomas said.

A fighter who has been knocked down many times in his career, Thomas always manages to keep on swinging.