PDA

View Full Version : Nets to acquire Carter?

IcemanCometh
12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
its on espn fuckers i'm not doing your work for you (fuck you)

Kori Ellis
12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
By Chad Ford
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1948449

The New Jersey Nets and Toronto Raptors are in serious talks about a trade that would send Vince Carter to the Nets, several league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford on Friday.

The Raptors would acquire Alonzo Mourning, Eric Williams, Aaron Williams and two first round draft picks in exchange for Carter. According to those same sources, the talks have moved to the point that they could be finalized before the end of the day.

All trades must be approved by the league office and players must pass physicals before they can become official. Carter is currently on the injured list with a strained left Achilles' tendon suffered last Friday and is to miss at least five games.

If the trade goes through, it would be the most serious indication yet that the Nets want to keep Jason Kidd and are willing to build a championship contender around him. After the offseason trades of Kenyon Martin and Kerry Kittles, Kidd expressed his displeasure with the direction the Nets were taking. However, with Carter on board, the Nets have a shot at moving back into contention.

According to one source, Kidd was briefed on the trade and thinks Carter will be a strong addition to the team.

A backcourt of Kidd, Carter and Richard Jefferson is a highlight reel waiting to happen. However the Nets will be very thin up front. After the trade, the Nets would have just Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine and rookie Nenad Kristic to play on the front line. The move has more interesting implications for the Raptors. Both Aaron and Eric Williams are the type of players that Sam Mitchell is after. They are tough, blue collar guys who will play their hearts out. Mourning gives them some size at the five that they desperately need. However, it will be interesting to see how Mourning reacts to the trade.

He's been asking out of New Jersey all season because he wants to play for a contender. Whatever you think about this trade for Toronto, it's tough to say that it turns them into a playoff caliber team. Instead, the Raptors are trying to surround their star young player, Chris Bosh, with solid, veteran players who play the right way. The two first round picks should help them rebuild.

The Nets currently have in hand their own first round pick, the Sixers first round pick (top 8 protected) and the Clippers first rounder (top 14 protected). It wasn't clear immediately which picks would be headed to Toronto in the trade.

SpursWoman
12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
ROFL! (http://w1.875.telia.com/~u87510733/fy/ )

ducks
12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
I guess kidd can not be traded so his buddy zo gets traded

Kori Ellis
12-17-2004, 03:18 PM
It seems like the Raptors should be able to get more talent than that back. But I guess they just want to get rid of VC at all cost.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2004, 03:21 PM
A backcourt of Kidd, Carter and Richard Jefferson is a highlight reel waiting to happen. However the Nets will be very thin up front. After the trade, the Nets would have just Jason Collins, Brian Scalabrine and rookie Nenad Kristic to play on the front line.The Nets need to at least get Pape Sow or Matt Bonner out of this.

Sheesh.

Useruser666
12-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Wow! The Nets turned into a Cheetah with two broken legs and the Raptors turned into an elephant with 2" long legs.

CosmicCowboy
12-17-2004, 03:25 PM
thats a crazy trade all the way around...Even though it looks like there won't be a luxury tax that puts NJ way over the cap forever with no draft picks to fix their front court and no way they get a decent big for the MLE...they might be exciting to watch in the regular season but they will get slaughtered in half court playoff basketball...

ducks
12-17-2004, 03:43 PM
humm if they had draft picks spurs could trade rasho to them

tempest186
12-17-2004, 04:10 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/ Its official

boutons
12-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I wonder how Zo feels getting shuffled around? He joined the Nets pretty much to play with JK, IIRC.

Amazing how anybody can value a whining, fragile pussy like VC as worth 3 other players and 2 picks.

tempest186
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I predict Mourning will be gone in another move right away. There is no way he would be happy in Toronto.

Dex
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/ Its official

Good find. Looks like we better get used to Carter as a Net. Maybe people will actually start to pay attention to NJ again.

Does this mean we have to find a new nickname for 'Air Canada'?

How bout Whiney-Face? or Tattle Tale?

I know, we can call him Cindy Brady. :lol

timvp
12-17-2004, 04:22 PM
If Carter starts trying again and Kidd can get healthy, that is a dangerous combo.

CosmicCowboy
12-17-2004, 04:23 PM
crazy trade

T Park
12-17-2004, 04:24 PM
and if Rasho starts shooting like he did 2 years ago........

Dex
12-17-2004, 04:25 PM
If IFs and BUTs were candy and nuts....

um....

I really forgot where I was going with this.

Medvedenko
12-17-2004, 04:33 PM
This is a weird trade. I live in Toronto and thought trading Vince and Rose for Reef, Anderson and Nick would be better suited...however Sam Mitchell likes hard working guys that don't quit and looks like he got them. It's funny these teams play on Sunday...maybe I'll check them out. I wonder if Rose is still going?

ChumpDumper
12-17-2004, 04:35 PM
Doesn't Toronto end up with 16 players? Even after waiving Mason?

Experiment2100
12-17-2004, 04:35 PM

I like Barkley's nickname for him half man-half a season

Useruser666
12-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Has there ever been a season/off season where more superstar players were traded and/or changed teams? I can't remember one off hand. Is this an attempt by the NBA to make it more interesting to fans? No I don't mean that as a conspiracy theory!

CosmicCowboy
12-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Has there ever been a season/off season where more superstar players were traded and/or changed teams? I can't remember one off hand. Is this an attempt by the NBA to make it more interesting to fans? No I don't mean that as a conspiracy theory!

naaa...just a bunch of whiney ass bitch "superstars" that wanted to be traded...

ChumpDumper
12-17-2004, 04:54 PM
Vince is no longer a superstar.

I think the Raps should've held out longer to try to work out something for Magloire.. These guys won't put butts in the seats.

Medvedenko
12-17-2004, 04:58 PM
There has to be another deal in the works...this leaves the the raps with like 5 PF's
Bonner
Bosh
Williams
Marshall
Moiso
Williams

genghisrex
12-17-2004, 05:14 PM
I wonder if Mourning stays or gets dealt right away. The Raptors aren't exactly the contender he's been pining to play for all season and I can't imagine him being happy if Toronto is his final destination. The Raptors desperately need a legit center next to Bosh, though, so I think they'll hold onto him and just hope for the best or trade him for another 5.

Hmmm... Zo's been pretty solid this year and if healthy would make a nice Rasho replacement. If he's healthy.

Solid D
12-17-2004, 05:22 PM
Eric Williams a throw in on this deal. Yet, he is > Bruce Bowen, eh G-Dub?

whottt
12-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Eric Williams a throw in on this deal. Yet, he is > Bruce Bowen, eh G-Dub?

Pointless.

FromWayDowntown
12-17-2004, 05:25 PM
I wonder if Mourning stays or gets dealt right away.

I thought about that -- particularly Mourning to Miami for Eddie Jones, or something like that. (with Toronto then packing Jalen Rose off somewhere, too). I think the Raps can trade Mourning immediately, but they can't package him with other players to make that deal. It's the same sort of thing that happened to Rasheed Wallace last year.

ChumpDumper
12-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Mourning isn't going to last the season unless he plays 10-15mpg

Useruser666
12-17-2004, 05:27 PM
naaa...just a bunch of whiney ass bitch "superstars" that wanted to be traded...

True, but think about the list.....

Tmac
Carter
Shaq
Francis
Boozer
Nash
Malone?
Martin
Turkoglu(:p)

Lesser players too:

Mehmet Okur
Lamar Odom
Caron Butler
Stephen Jackson
Derek Fisher
Al Harrington
Greg Ostertag
Vlade Divac
Nick Van Exel
Dale Davis
Eric Snow
Drew Gooden
Tony Battie
Quentin Richardson
Kerry Kittles
Antoine Walker
Lucious Harris
Antawn Jamison

BronxCowboy
12-17-2004, 05:42 PM
True, but think about the list.....

Tmac
Carter
Shaq
Francis
Boozer
Nash
Malone?
Martin
Turkoglu(:p)

Lesser players too:

Mehmet Okur
Lamar Odom
Caron Butler
Stephen Jackson
Derek Fisher
Al Harrington
Greg Ostertag
Vlade Divac
Nick Van Exel
Dale Davis
Eric Snow
Drew Gooden
Tony Battie
Quentin Richardson
Kerry Kittles
Antoine Walker
Lucious Harris
Antawn Jamison

Hedo isn't one of the "lesser players"? :lol

exstatic
12-17-2004, 05:56 PM

Let's see...New Jersey...how about Air Pollution?

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-17-2004, 06:48 PM
For all that loyalty and surround me with my friends bullshit Kidd was spouting, he's watching KMart leave, Zo get traded, but I guess he still has Air Gay around to hang out with in the locker room.

alamo50
12-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Hmmm... Zo's been pretty solid this year and if healthy would make a nice Rasho replacement. If he's healthy.

Don't even think about it.

Smith: This wasn't the best deal for Carter

TSN.ca Staff with files from Stephen A. Smith
12/17/2004

ESPN Basketball Insider Stephen A. Smith gives his thoughts to TSN about the Vince Carter trade:

"I don't believe this was the best deal Rob Babcock could have gotten for Carter. From what my sources tell me, the New York Knicks had an offer on the table that would have sent Penny Hardaway and Tim Thomas to Toronto for not just Vince Carter, but Jalen Rose as well. If you take those contracts into consideration the Toronto Raptors would have saved themselves $50 million. When you take that into account and you recognize how notoriously cheap they can be and how interested they are in saving money, it would appear that Mr. Babcock has dropped the ball, but I have not spoken to him officially yet.

I think this trade is about the two conditional first-round draft picks. One of the picks is lottery protected 1-3 from the Denver Nuggets, but the way Denver is playing in all likelihood, Toronto is going to get that pick. The other pick is one New Jersey acquired from Denver, who acquired it from the Philadelphia 76ers several years ago. That pick is lottery protected 1-8 this year and 1-5 the following year. In all likelihood the Toronto Raptors are going to end up getting two high first round picks, along with Aaron and Eric Williams who both are willing to play hard, which is obviously what the huge question was about Vince Carter.

Say what you want about Alonzo Mourning, he whines and moans a bit too much - especially recently and needs to shut his mouth - but at the end of the day the bottom line is that you know he is not going to go out there and cheat you in terms of the level of effort he is going to give you.

As far as Alonzo Mourning being happy in Toronto, the Raptors don't care whether he's happy or not, because they've got two players who will be happy and they have two future first round picks coming in the next two years. They don't care how Alonzo Mourning feels. If Alonzo Mourning is not happy so what? They can waive him, but I doubt they will do that because he is still owed $17.7 million over the next three years. If he is willing to be bought out at a considerably low number, which he certainly wasn't willing to do with the New Jersey Nets, that is a way it could work out. But at the end of the day, they have his contractual rights and he has to abide by their rules - otherwise he is just going to have to sit there and languish in Toronto.

I definitely think Vince Carter may have lost a step here or there, but I still think he is an all-star and a big-time talent. Paired with Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson he can be the absolute stud that we all saw him to be a few years back. The Nets have the heart, guts and tenacity. They are going to go out on the court and if Vince Carter plays in any kind of lacklustre way whatsoever, trust me they are going to get in his face.

At the end of the day, though, I think Carter's reputation has taken a huge hit. Not only was he known as a Mr. Softie by a lot of people, a lot of people thought he basically tanked it this year - that he did not give Sam Mitchell, Rob Babcock and the Toronto Raptors organization his full effort. Any time you've got that reputation when you are a max player and you are considered a superstar in this league, that is a huge problem.

You can talk about Kevin Garnett or Kobe Bryant - pick any name that you want. One thing all of those superstars have in common is that they never cheated you for those 48 minutes that they stepped out onto the court. The Toronto Raptors privately claim that is exactly what Vince Carter did to them. Trust me, that is a reputation that is pretty difficult to erase. He has got a lot to prove."

Stephen A. Smith is a basketball columnist for The Philadelphia Inquirer and appears on ESPN and TSN as an NBA analyst/insider.

"You can talk about Kevin Garnett or Kobe Bryant - pick any name that you want. One thing all of those superstars have in common is that they never cheated you for those 48 minutes that they stepped out onto the court"

Kobe didn't wanna shoot the ball for quite a while to prove a point he thought he had dumbass.

sickdsm
12-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Local Media was still talking about the Sam or spree plus wally for Kidd/Alonzo but it appears Kidd is going nowhere now. I don't know if the wolves have anything to interest the Raptors but Alonzo Mourning was the guy that raised the most interest around here. He could get by playing 15-20 minutes a game here. Sam knows what he's doing if Alonzo shuts up and continues to play hard. I don't know if they can afford to play him less than 20 a game but Bosh is going to be a stud at the 4, i always wondered why they kept playing him as a 5 last year.

ZStomp
12-17-2004, 08:11 PM
Why would the Nets get Pussy Vince Carter now but let Martin walk?? I'm not a fan of either guy..but I'd rather have Martin on my team than Fragile Vance.....

I bet Vince becomes healthy all of a sudden....:lol

mattyc
12-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Whilst the Raptors rid themselves of a drama queen, the Spurs attempt to sign one. :rolleyes :depressed

ChumpDumper
12-18-2004, 10:00 AM
From what my sources tell me, the New York Knicks had an offer on the table that would have sent Penny Hardaway and Tim Thomas to Toronto for not just Vince Carter, but Jalen Rose as well. God, what an awful trade that would've been for Zeke -- imagine trying to divide time between Carter, Rose, Crawford and Houston. At least now there's a fairly clear pecking order.