PDA

View Full Version : Biased Polls

NoMoneyDown
10-07-2007, 01:34 PM
So, two weeks ago, WVU was rated #5 in the AP poll. They travel *TO* USF and lose to the THEN 18th ranked Bulls by one score. The AP then ranks the Mountaineers 13th due to the loss - a difference of 8 slots.

Yesterday, USC loses to UNRANKED Stanford - a team that was, before the game, 1-3 - and LOSES AT HOME. USC was ranked #2 in the AP poll prior to that meeting. At best, they should've been ranked ... 2+8= 10th. But where are they ranked? SEVENTH.

Yeah, there's no bias at all going on here.

SrA Husker
10-07-2007, 02:08 PM
So, two weeks ago, WVU was rated #5 in the AP poll. They travel *TO* USF and lose to the THEN 18th ranked Bulls by one score. The AP then ranks the Mountaineers 13th due to the loss - a difference of 8 slots.

Yesterday, USC loses to UNRANKED Stanford - a team that was, before the game, 1-3 - and LOSES AT HOME. USC was ranked #2 in the AP poll prior to that meeting. At best, they should've been ranked ... 2+8= 10th. But where are they ranked? SEVENTH.

Yeah, there's no bias at all going on here.

Media bias of course exists. However, I'm not sure we can really say anything here.

When a ranked team loses, they drop 6-10 spaces. Period, dot done. Reference: West Virginia, Nebraska, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

Realize that the only polls that matter come the last week of the season, the rest are a bunch of hot air. Besides - after the first 4-5 teams, I don't think there's much separation between the next 20-30 teams.

scott
10-07-2007, 03:03 PM
When a ranked team loses, they drop 6-10 spaces. Period, dot done. Reference: West Virginia, Nebraska, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

Reference: App State vs Michigan (and it can be argued that Stanford is a much bigger upset).

There is certainly precident for dropping more than USC did. But, you are right in that the only poll that matters is the last one. However, only dropping this far still leaves USC in the BCS title hunt, and that can't be denied. Whether that is okay or not, is subject for debate.

SrA Husker
10-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Reference: App State vs Michigan (and it can be argued that Stanford is a much bigger upset).

There is certainly precident for dropping more than USC did. But, you are right in that the only poll that matters is the last one. However, only dropping this far still leaves USC in the BCS title hunt, and that can't be denied. Whether that is okay or not, is subject for debate.

Honestly, I see no reason why USC shouldn't be 'in the hunt' - and if the teams ranked above them do as they should, it won't be a worry anyway.

Even how bad Stanford is, it's still a conference game. Anything can and will happen in those things. Just ask Oklahoma.

scott
10-07-2007, 03:16 PM
I could go either way on the argument whether USC belongs in the hunt, but the main point is that is inaccurate to say:

When a ranked team loses, they drop 6-10 spaces. Period, dot done.

BeerIsGood!
10-07-2007, 06:31 PM
USC and Oklahoma should not be anywhere near the title chase since they lost to lowly ranked teams, far out of the top 25. The college system is bullshit, and we've known that for a long time. It's not changing because the people deciding the matter are getting too much money to keep the bowl system.

djohn14
10-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Mizzou is now number 11...with a win over Oklahoma next week in Norman, we could be up to 7.

K-State Spur
10-07-2007, 06:54 PM
the polls would be fine if they were a 'just for fun' thing like basketball.

that one is actually a major factor in determining the championship is beyond ridiculous.

SrA Husker
10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Mizzou is now number 11...with a win over Oklahoma next week in Norman, we could be up to 7.

Don't joke yourself that you have a chance to beat Oklahoma. The Nebraska game was circled back in January and everything Pinkel did led up to yesterday. How that will affect the team from here on out, we can only wait and see.

As much as it hates me to say it, the Nebraska team you beat wasn't good at all. Don't think you can go undefeated because of it.

K-State Spur
10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Can anybody in the Big 12 say with a straight face that another team in this conference doesn't have a chance against anybody else in this conference?

MAYBE isu or Baylor. But the other 10 can beat any of the other 10 on the right day.

djohn14
10-07-2007, 09:14 PM
I really like K-State Spurs quote...it is almost 100% accurate. Also, yes I do feel Mizzou can beat Oklahoma. I feel we have more playmakers than them, and that includes a better QB. Im not that sold on Bradford. Just like I wasnt that sold on Keller, and we beat him.

BeerIsGood!
10-08-2007, 08:39 AM
Mizzou can beat OU. OU is overrated - they won't beat themselves with turnovers but they aren't dominant in any facet of the game.

tlongII
10-08-2007, 09:46 AM
USC is 4-3 in their last 7 Pac-10 conference games. They won't even win the conference this year. The Pac-10 is too tough.

scott
10-11-2007, 12:52 AM
USC is 4-3 in their last 7 Pac-10 conference games. They won't even win the conference this year. The Pac-10 is too tough.

Oh yes... the mighty PAC-10 with those super tough UCLA Bruins sitting atop the conference... nevermind those not-even-close losses to Utah and Notre Dame.