PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Making a stand allows Udoka to find a home

timvp
10-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Making a stand allows Udoka to find a home
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Shortly after signing the first multiyear contract of his professional career, new Spurs forward Ime Udoka celebrated by doing something he had never done before.

He went shopping for a house — to buy, not rent.

"I looked through almost every neighborhood in San Antonio," Udoka said, "but I found my spot."

In San Antonio, Udoka has indeed discovered a place to put down roots. And it only took him seven years, 13 job changes and trips to four countries to find it.

In August, the Spurs lured Udoka from Portland with a guaranteed two-year deal worth slightly more than $2 million, instantly setting him up with more job security than he has ever known.

A 6-foot-6 defensive stopper with a better-than-average 3-point touch, Udoka has been billed as the heir apparent to Bruce Bowen in San Antonio. (Although Udoka might have to wait a little longer to fill that role after Bowen signed a two-year contract extension Sunday).

Like Bowen in his pre-Spurs days, Udoka's nomadic lifestyle to this point has been better suited for pup tent ownership than home ownership.

Undrafted out of Portland State in 2000, Udoka's basketball passport has been stamped in such exotic locales as Charleston, S.C., Glen Falls, N.Y., and Fort Worth. In between, Udoka crammed onto his résumé overseas stops in Spain, France and Lithuania.

He might be the only player in history to spend parts of the same season playing in Fargo, N.D., and Argentina, a rare double Udoka pulled off in his first season out of college.

The longest amount of time Udoka, 30, has spent in one place were two seasons with the North Charleston Lowgators of the NBDL from 2002 to 2004. His shortest stint was the 10 days he spent with the Los Angeles Lakers in 2004, his first NBA call-up, keeping a spot warm for a hobbled Kobe Bryant.

"Kobe came back quicker than he was supposed to," Udoka said of his brief stay with the Lakers.

After a career of living out of suitcases, and at the fickle whim of the 10-day contract, Udoka earned his big break last season.

The final player added to Portland's 15-man roster last summer, Udoka — who to that point had played in just 12 NBA games with the Lakers and New York Knicks — made the Trail Blazers out of training camp.

He went on to start every game for which he was healthy, 75 in all. He averaged 8.4 points per game and ranked among the league's top 20 most accurate 3-point shooters at 40.6 percent.

Udoka's calling card always has been his defense. Less than a week into his first Spurs camp, he already is drawing raves from Bowen, one of the best defenders in the league.

"He's a guy you want on your team," Bowen says, "because you can go to war with him."

Tough and tenacious, Udoka approaches the game with the hungry abandon of a man playing for his next meal. For most of his career, that's exactly what he was doing.

In his mind, Udoka still isn't far removed from the long, sleepless bus rides and the dingy budget motels of basketball's bush leagues. He will never forget that not-so-good life, even after the Spurs made him a guaranteed millionaire.

"Obviously, it takes the stress off," Udoka said. "But I'm not going to change the things I do on the court. I'm going to continue to work hard the same way."

Udoka would be wise to retain the fighting spirit that made him an NBA player to begin with.

Though his contract with the Spurs is guaranteed, playing time is not. The Spurs returned all 12 players from last year's NBA championship team, making meaningful minutes difficult to come by for any newcomer.

At least early on, there's a chance this former starter in Portland could find himself struggling to just get off the Spurs' bench.

"All things being equal, if everybody stays healthy, one would say it's going to be tough for him to find minutes this season," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Unless he beats somebody out."

Never one to shy away from a test, Udoka is looking forward to that challenge.

In the meantime, he will busy himself with the task of becoming a proud homeowner for the first time. He has already closed on a new home in San Antonio, and plans move out of his current digs at the Omni Hotel next month.

After a career built by perpetually moving on, Udoka can't wait to finally move in.

"I definitely hope to be here for a long time," he said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100807.BKN.Spurs.Udoka.en.2f9ccf9.html

timvp
10-08-2007, 05:31 AM
I can't wait to see the first glimpse of Bowen and Udoka on the court at the same time. When is the last time the Spurs had two lockdown perimeter defenders? Closest might be '99 with Elliott and Elie.

If Udoka's offense is halfway decent and he learns the defensive principles, I can't think of a scenario in which Pop doesn't put him in the rotation. Udoka at his best can bring more to the table than either Finley or Barry.

SenorSpur
10-08-2007, 07:58 AM
I can't wait to see the first glimpse of Bowen and Udoka on the court at the same time. When is the last time the Spurs had two lockdown perimeter defenders? Closest might be '99 with Elliott and Elie.

If Udoka's offense is halfway decent and he learns the defensive principles, I can't think of a scenario in which Pop doesn't put him in the rotation. Udoka at his best can bring more to the table than either Finley or Barry.

Exactly. I'm looking forward to seeing them both on the court versus some of the league more "high-octane" offensive teams, like GS, PHX, & DAL.

Lebowski Brickowski
10-08-2007, 08:09 AM
A 6-foot-6 defensive stopper with a better-than-average 3-point touch, Udoka has been billed as the heir apparent to Bruce Bowen in San Antonio.

It'll be great to have this guy off the bench to shut someone down FOR NOW but he'll be, what, 33?? when he "replaces" Bruce? I'm still holding out hope for Marcus Williams to be "that guy."

Samr
10-08-2007, 08:12 AM
I might be jumping to conclusions here, but suddenly Boston seems like a fairly weak team....

Pierce? Bowen's in his shorts.
Allen? If Ime lives up to his billing, this dude is on him.

Then it's Duncan/Garnett game, where I think the two equal eachother out.

So, you're left with Rajondo (sp) and some other guys vs. Parker and Manu and some other guys.

.....I think Udoka just became my new favorite player.

SenorSpur
10-08-2007, 08:15 AM
I might be jumping to conclusions here, but suddenly Boston seems like a fairly weak team....

Pierce? Bowen's in his shorts.
Allen? If Ime lives up to his billing, this dude is on him.

Then it's Duncan/Garnett game, where I think the two equal eachother out.

So, you're left with Rajondo (sp) and some other guys vs. Parker and Manu and some other guys.

.....I think Udoka just became my new favorite player.

Me too. Can't wait to see him contribute.

I think Pop may find minutes for his new "secret weapon" sooner rather than later.

intlspurshk
Bowen needs rest in reg season. Why can't SPURS find some min for IU?

mystargtr34
Seeing what type of guy he is and what hes been through to get where he is, good on him.

I think Bowen actually did a pretty decent job on Dirk when he was matched up with him, as good as you can do against a guy like Dirk, but we had to move him on to JH in the 06 series because he was just torching Finley/Manu. Doubling Dirk whenever he put the ball on the floor really threw us off our defensive scheme. Now, Bowen can hound Dirk and Pop has the option of Ime on JH aswell as an Elson/Bowen combo for Dirk/JH.

Great guy, could there be a more perfect fit for us?

TDMVPDPOY
10-08-2007, 08:17 AM
spurs seem to have a thing for players who bounce around the league/world...thats good to see the spurs FO gives ppl who DESERVE another chance....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah, the more I hear about Udoka the keener I am to see him on the court in black and silver. And I love the fact that he's hungry...

Oh man, I really like our roster this year. Last year there were question marks all over the place that weren't resolved until March (centre, backup PG especially, and also would Bowen/Fin lose a step and become ineffective, which turned out not to be the case), but this year I have confidence in our centres and JV, and our swing rotation is stronger than it's been in years. Not only that but we have two young bigs developing!

:)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-08-2007, 08:24 AM
It'll be great to have this guy off the bench to shut someone down FOR NOW but he'll be, what, 33?? when he "replaces" Bruce? I'm still holding out hope for Marcus Williams to be "that guy."

Yes, but like Bruce he might be a guy who can go until he's 35-6. He hasn't got 10 NBA seasons worth of miles on his legs. And if Marcus hasn't developed by the time Ime's getting old, then forget it! :lol

Samr - I was thinking the same thing.

SenorSpur
10-08-2007, 08:25 AM
It's great to see a thread where Spurs fans are discussing how a new player acquisition will improve team defense.

Somehow I doubt this type of conversation takes place within the SUNS and MAVS fan forums.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Given the track record of first year players on the Spurs, Udoka is probably going to struggle for minutes. He might be able to freelance a bit as due to his abilities as an individual defender, and there will almost certainly be flashes of greatness (if you love defense).

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Bowen needs rest in reg season. Why can't SPURS find some min for IU?

Since defense is a big part of his game his nickname could be IUD! :lol

Which would be all the more fitting if he ever has to guard Ray Allen or VC.

Marcus Bryant
10-08-2007, 08:55 AM

He will start 'replacing' Bruce this season a few minutes a night. The really interesting option is being able to play both at the same time, which might make sense against teams with multiple legit perimeter threats (only if the Spurs can make that work offensively).

As for Udoka's age, that's not too important. TD's 31 now. Manu's 30. The window for winning championships rests largely on those two and TP. Let's not worry about 2013.

picnroll
10-08-2007, 09:35 AM
One thing besides defense that Udoka has going for him is rebounding. If he proves to be a very good defender in the Spurs system and they are getting hurt on the boards he may get additional time.

SenorSpur
10-08-2007, 10:29 AM
One thing besides defense that Udoka has going for him is rebounding. If he proves to be a very good defender in the Spurs system and they are getting hurt on the boards he may get additional time.

Wasn't aware that he was a good rebounder to boot.

Mark in Austin
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
If / when PHX goes ultra small this year like they've promised to, it will be fun to watch the Spurs counter with something like:

Duncan
Bowen
Udoka
Ginobili
Parker

SpursFanFirst
10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Making a stand allows Udoka to find a home
Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Shortly after signing the first multiyear contract of his professional career, new Spurs forward Ime Udoka celebrated by doing something he had never done before.

He went shopping for a house — to buy, not rent.

"I looked through almost every neighborhood in San Antonio," Udoka said, "but I found my spot."

In San Antonio, Udoka has indeed discovered a place to put down roots. And it only took him seven years, 13 job changes and trips to four countries to find it.

In August, the Spurs lured Udoka from Portland with a guaranteed two-year deal worth slightly more than $2 million, instantly setting him up with more job security than he has ever known.

A 6-foot-6 defensive stopper with a better-than-average 3-point touch, Udoka has been billed as the heir apparent to Bruce Bowen in San Antonio. (Although Udoka might have to wait a little longer to fill that role after Bowen signed a two-year contract extension Sunday).

Like Bowen in his pre-Spurs days, Udoka's nomadic lifestyle to this point has been better suited for pup tent ownership than home ownership.

Undrafted out of Portland State in 2000, Udoka's basketball passport has been stamped in such exotic locales as Charleston, S.C., Glen Falls, N.Y., and Fort Worth. In between, Udoka crammed onto his résumé overseas stops in Spain, France and Lithuania.

He might be the only player in history to spend parts of the same season playing in Fargo, N.D., and Argentina, a rare double Udoka pulled off in his first season out of college.

The longest amount of time Udoka, 30, has spent in one place were two seasons with the North Charleston Lowgators of the NBDL from 2002 to 2004. His shortest stint was the 10 days he spent with the Los Angeles Lakers in 2004, his first NBA call-up, keeping a spot warm for a hobbled Kobe Bryant.

"Kobe came back quicker than he was supposed to," Udoka said of his brief stay with the Lakers.

After a career of living out of suitcases, and at the fickle whim of the 10-day contract, Udoka earned his big break last season.

The final player added to Portland's 15-man roster last summer, Udoka — who to that point had played in just 12 NBA games with the Lakers and New York Knicks — made the Trail Blazers out of training camp.

He went on to start every game for which he was healthy, 75 in all. He averaged 8.4 points per game and ranked among the league's top 20 most accurate 3-point shooters at 40.6 percent.

Udoka's calling card always has been his defense. Less than a week into his first Spurs camp, he already is drawing raves from Bowen, one of the best defenders in the league.

"He's a guy you want on your team," Bowen says, "because you can go to war with him."

Tough and tenacious, Udoka approaches the game with the hungry abandon of a man playing for his next meal. For most of his career, that's exactly what he was doing.

In his mind, Udoka still isn't far removed from the long, sleepless bus rides and the dingy budget motels of basketball's bush leagues. He will never forget that not-so-good life, even after the Spurs made him a guaranteed millionaire.

"Obviously, it takes the stress off," Udoka said. "But I'm not going to change the things I do on the court. I'm going to continue to work hard the same way."

Udoka would be wise to retain the fighting spirit that made him an NBA player to begin with.

Though his contract with the Spurs is guaranteed, playing time is not. The Spurs returned all 12 players from last year's NBA championship team, making meaningful minutes difficult to come by for any newcomer.

At least early on, there's a chance this former starter in Portland could find himself struggling to just get off the Spurs' bench.

"All things being equal, if everybody stays healthy, one would say it's going to be tough for him to find minutes this season," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Unless he beats somebody out."

Never one to shy away from a test, Udoka is looking forward to that challenge.

In the meantime, he will busy himself with the task of becoming a proud homeowner for the first time. He has already closed on a new home in San Antonio, and plans move out of his current digs at the Omni Hotel next month.

After a career built by perpetually moving on, Udoka can't wait to finally move in.

"I definitely hope to be here for a long time," he said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100807.BKN.Spurs.Udoka.en.2f9ccf9.html

:tu I'm really excited about this guy and for the season to start...BRING IT ON! 22days/8hours/23minutes/...seconds :elephant

SenorSpur
10-08-2007, 11:04 AM
If / when PHX goes ultra small this year like they've promised to, it will be fun to watch the Spurs counter with something like:

Duncan
Bowen
Udoka
Ginobili
Parker

If we're forced to have to play small ball for some stretches, I like that lineup.

Marcus Bryant
10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Small ball allows you to play Bowen and Udoka without taking much away from your offense (though the concern about rebounding would remain). But if you are playing them at the 2 and 3 then I think you are putting too much pressure on the 1 to penetrate.

bdictjames
10-08-2007, 01:00 PM
How well does Ime shoot the open three?

This might be the Spurs best defensive season, ever.

T Park
10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Udoka allows the play of small ball without cringing again.

Hes not as good a scorer as Devin Brown, but hes like Devin Brown in that hes strong and can guard bigger than him players.

He might not be a "dirk stopper" but he might be enough of one to slow him down, so that bowen can shut down Josh Howard.

Solid D
10-08-2007, 01:22 PM
A 6-foot-6 defensive stopper

6' 6"? Wishful thinking or new shoes?

timvp
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
6' 6"? Wishful thinking or new shoes?Scalp implant.

Solid D
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
:smokin

:lol

whottt
10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
RE: Bruce slowing down

Bruce just played the best basketball of his career in the finals. IMO, he was the true finals MVP...

I've been waiting for Bowen to decline for about 4 years now...and he keeps getting better. While that decline is no doubt coming...he has to stop improving first.

E20
10-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Udoka is 30 years old? Well........I guess that's young for the Spurs standard.

Mark in Austin
10-08-2007, 01:39 PM
If Udoka really is effective shooting from the corners, when Bowen and Udoka are playing together it will be interesting to see how much they open up the floor when they each go camp out in a corner and draw defenders with them.

Bruno
10-08-2007, 02:03 PM

I've seen Udoka listed at 6'6" more than one time.
For example, he has split the 04/05 season between France and Spain. He was listed at 6'6" in Spain but at 6'5" in France.

objective
10-08-2007, 02:25 PM
6-6?

In the tape of the games against Portland last year he was clearly shorter than both Barry and Ginobili, he looked like a small 6-5.

smrattler
10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Sounds like Pop is already starting his psycho-babble head test on Udoka. Just wants to see first hand his character come out. Ime will not disappoint, this guy is the real deal when it comes to character and hard work and tenaciousness.

If he can hit 40% on a Portland team, I'm thinking the looks he get here should be no problem either. If that's the case, with his defense and tenacity, no way Pop doesn't find a way to utilize this guy.

Spurs Brazil
10-08-2007, 03:25 PM
I think small-ball with TD-Udoka-Bruce-Manu-TP will work very well

traitoravery
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Win One For IME!!!

50 cent
10-08-2007, 03:38 PM
He's going to be a fan favorite quickly. :tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-08-2007, 05:08 PM
How well does Ime shoot the open three?

This might be the Spurs best defensive season, ever.
He shot 41%. :smokin This is definitely our best shot at repeating.

Southwest Texas Fan
10-08-2007, 06:05 PM

I believe that’s what ESPN and Yahoo have him listed at.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-08-2007, 07:10 PM

I heard AJ has already started whining.

mystargtr34
10-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Well normally the Euro sites list the players without shoes on, or give them a minimal increase LOL, as opposed to the NBA listings where guys are more often given 1.5" increases.

Josh Howard measured at 6'5.5" at pre draft camp so i say he has less than an inch on Ime, tops. Works for our Ime/Bowen combo for JH/Dirk :D. Ime can sit the rest of the games since we dont have any problems with any other team ;)

raspsa
10-08-2007, 10:51 PM
The only player's age and playing ability I'm concerned about is Duncan's. As he goes, so go the Spurs.