PDA

View Full Version : I dont give two FU<Ks what anyone says.........

lebomb
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Any team can beat any team on any given day. I dont give a shit about the conference, schedule or opponents........that is why a college football playoff is a must.

I dont want to hear SHIT about well OU can whoop.....blah, blah, blah........or oh yeah! Well Florida is overrated, and USC s schedule is................ :rolleyes It DOESNT matter!!!!

A playoff is needed more NOW than ever. :clap

SrA Husker
10-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Parity sucks.

lebomb
10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Parity sucks.

Tell that to the Spurs. :rolleyes

lebomb
10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Parity sucks.

Actually parity is awesome. This is one of the best college football seasons ever. I love college football, but I got tired of seeing the same teams win it.

USC
Texas
OU
OS
Michigan
Florida
Miami

..................that shit got old. :dramaquee

Thunder Dan
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Actually parity is awesome. This is one of the best college football seasons ever. I love college football, but I got tired of seeing the same teams win it.

USC
Texas
OU
OS
Michigan
Florida
Miami

..................that shit got old. :dramaquee

Michigan never wins it, lets not take it too far. They are the Dallas Mavricks of NCAA football, but in their case hope is usually lost before the last week of the season

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I must have missed the plethora of OSU championships in the last 35 years.

K-State Spur
10-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Parity sucks.

there are certainly some fans that would love to go back to the old big 8 days when it was just OU & UNL + 6 patsies.

even now it's not a level playing field, the arms race is completely out of control. there are SCHOOLS that are spending more annual money on athletic facilities than academic ones.

but there is enough parity that if you are not doing the right things, you're going to lose.

i can understand how some husker, sooner, or longhorn fans could miss the old days when they simply needed to 'show up' with their 150 scholarship players and victory was ensured, but i think that - at the end of the day - most would agree that is a better era for college football as a whole.

JamStone
10-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Michigan never wins it, lets not take it too far. They are the Dallas Mavricks of NCAA football, but in their case hope is usually lost before the last week of the season

one in the last 10 years, just like ohio state

lebomb
10-08-2007, 12:41 PM
..........yall know what I meant......the very SAME teams in the top 10 just about every year......it gets old and boring.....IMHO.

Thunder Dan
10-08-2007, 02:44 PM
one in the last 10 years, just like ohio state

tied for one in 10 years and have played for 0 since

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-08-2007, 02:55 PM
So, that means they both have one in the last 25+ years, right?

SrA Husker
10-08-2007, 03:28 PM
there are certainly some fans that would love to go back to the old big 8 days when it was just OU & UNL + 6 patsies.

even now it's not a level playing field, the arms race is completely out of control. there are SCHOOLS that are spending more annual money on athletic facilities than academic ones.

but there is enough parity that if you are not doing the right things, you're going to lose.

i can understand how some husker, sooner, or longhorn fans could miss the old days when they simply needed to 'show up' with their 150 scholarship players and victory was ensured, but i think that - at the end of the day - most would agree that is a better era for college football as a whole.

The reason I say parity sucks is because the College Football system as we know it today is simply ill-prepared to handle it. A Top 25 poll is horribly outdated as we see each week when the "top" teams are constantly "upset" - the truth is, there is no longer a difference between #5-25 or those out of the poll, and all it does is ruin teams championship hopes before the season even begins.

While the arms race is out of control, you can't really use the academic-athletic comparison as most major athletic programs are completely self-funded (relying on only donations and gate revenue) and help pay for a majority of the academic improvements to a campus as well.

Parity is good. But if College Football remains in the format it is today, it will ruin it. A huge overhaul of the game has to be made, and soon. The very first thing that needs to be done is banning any polls from being made until week 5.

K-State Spur
10-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Agreed, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say "the college football system sucks" vs. "parity sucks"?

I don't see any reason to root for the dominance of just a few teams in order to save a dated, unfair, and semi-corrupt system.

JamStone
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
tied for one in 10 years and have played for 0 since

No BCS in 1998. Do all of OSU's "titles" before the BCS not count?

A championship is a championship.

You want a cookie for getting pounded the other time you made it to the BCS championship game?

Thunder Dan
10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
So, that means they both have one in the last 25+ years, right?

just keeping the rivalry alive and kickin man

Cant_Be_Faded
10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
I like it.

As long as USC gets their cally faces shoved in a muddy horse hoof imprint lined with syphilitic smegma every year I'm happy no matter what.

Brutalis
10-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Well there is no doubt there will be a playoffs sometime in the future.

Holt's Cat
10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Well there is no doubt there will be a playoffs sometime in the future.

When?

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Although a playoff system would be much better it won't change the teams that are winning the national titles. Just like in NCAA basketball, the big dogs will still be the teams that are able to string enough wins together to win a title. While USF is a good team and a great story, they wouldn't be able to win enough to get a championship. I still think they should be given the shot if they deserve it, but I doubt they'd be able to do it.

I think they should do a 10 team playoff after the end of the regular season for the championship. Use the BCS to determine the top 10 teams, then reward the #1 and #2 teams with a bye to the semifinal round. The other 8 play to get to that point and that leaves a final 4. Start it a week after the end of the regular season and the championship game could be on New Years day or where it has been the last few years.

JamStone
10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
College teams can't play up to 15 games in one season, especially when you consider mid December final exams. It just doesn't make sense for college players.

K-State Spur
10-09-2007, 04:06 PM
College teams can't play up to 15 games in one season, especially when you consider mid December final exams. It just doesn't make sense for college players.

Tell that to I-AA, D2, & D3 teams.

And, for the record, KSU played 15 games (11-4) in 2003. None of the players on that team immediately died or flunked out of school.

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 04:14 PM

They already play 13 or 14 with the bowl game, and it would only be a couple of teams playing 15, if any at all. Get rid of the conference title games for all conferences and with my system a 3 - 10 seed that makes it to the title game would play a whopping 4 games. That's not a stretch.

Holt's Cat
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Tell that to I-AA, D2, & D3 teams.

Nobody cares about them, unless one of their ilk happens to be an overrated I-A team.

And, for the record, KSU played 15 games (11-4) in 2003. None of the players on that team immediately died or flunked out of school.

The NCAA has tournaments for baseball and basketball, among many other sports, I am sure. It gets back to the fact that only in football does the actual site of postseason games dictate the nature of how a champion is determined (well, not officially). Ultimately you get back to the TV contracts, and for that reason I don't see any change in the status quo coming anytime soon.

K-State Spur
10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
the worst part is that most of the arguments against a playoff are laughable and count on the fans being idiots:

1) missed class time - college football players already miss FAR less class time compared to baseball, basketball, volleyball, most other sports - revenue or not.

2) season is too long already - this argument used to get used a lot, and then they expanded to a 12 game schedule.

3) it gets people talking at the water cooler, controversy is good for the sport - well then let's just name the #15 team in the nation the national champion, that would be really controversial and get people talking.

4) the bowls have great tradition - the bowls lost the right to use this argument when they sold every aspect (including their names) to corporate sponsorship.

Extra Stout
10-10-2007, 12:16 AM
You're right. Only schools which care nothing about academics -- the Harvards, Yales, and Princetons of the world -- would subject their players to such rigors.

Doug Collins
10-10-2007, 09:11 AM

They can just continue to have their tutors take exams for them.

Thunder Dan
10-10-2007, 09:40 AM
They can just continue to have their tutors take exams for them.

arn't finals in March for schools on quarter terms?

Doug Collins
10-10-2007, 11:23 AM
arn't finals in March for schools on quarter terms?

I have no idea.

samikeyp
10-10-2007, 11:42 AM

Any playoff would be in mid-December to mid January when everyone is on Christmas break...just like the bowl season is. Besides...college athletes sometimes take exams on the road anyway. They have tutors and academic advisors who travel with the team for such reasons.

What was said earlier was true as well. D1-AA, D2 and D3 can do it, the big boys can too.

DarkReign
10-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm not a huge college football fan because it doesnt have a playoff.

Dont get me wrong, the champion is the champion. But did OSU belong in the title game last year? Do you seriously think they would have made it thru a playoff? They got absolutely hammered from beginning to end. That game sucked unless youre a Florida fan.

It would eliminate pretenders feasting on their own conference (im looking at you big 10, UM absolutely included).

Thunder Dan
10-10-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm not a huge college football fan because it doesnt have a playoff.

Dont get me wrong, the champion is the champion. But did OSU belong in the title game last year? Do you seriously think they would have made it thru a playoff? They got absolutely hammered from beginning to end. That game sucked unless youre a Florida fan.

It would eliminate pretenders feasting on their own conference (im looking at you big 10, UM absolutely included).

Yeah going undefeated, beating the #2 team in the country twice in a season reason enough to assume Ohio State never belonged in that game. I think they need to change the time of the game. Stop having the BCS Championship game 8 weeks after the season.

DarkReign
10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah going undefeated, beating the #2 team in the country twice in a season reason enough to assume Ohio State never belonged in that game. I think they need to change the time of the game. Stop having the BCS Championship game 8 weeks after the season.

They beat Michigan at #2, the most overrated team in the country outside of Notre Dame.

It actually took last year to convince me of how overrated the Big 10 really is. Look at Wisconsin this year. OSU is still the only legitmate team in the conference and yet I have a feeling they'll get smashed if they played someone worth their salt.