PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Smith Y! Sports debut

lefty
10-08-2007, 01:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ks-eastrankings100807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Preseason rankings: Eastern Conference
By Kenny Smith, Yahoo! Sports
October 8, 2007

The Cavaliers were able to get through the Eastern Conference last season by really only playing one legitimate playoff series – the East finals against Detroit. That will not happen again this season. In fact, there will be a new conference champion.

Here's how I see the East as teams begin their preseason schedules.

Boston 1. Boston Celtics – With three unselfish stars in Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett, the learning curve is shorter than most. They will dominate a conference with only three contenders (the others being Detroit and Miami).

Detroit 2. Detroit Pistons – They are one of the few teams that can only beat themselves. That's why they always believe it's a fluke when they lose. Experience wins, and Detroit's veterans can still get the job done.

Miami 3. Miami Heat – Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade tasted the sweet smell of success two years ago and have the tools to get back to the NBA finals. With Alonzo Mourning leaving after this season, an aging Shaq gets one last real chance at another title before he's done.

Cleveland 4. Cleveland Cavaliers – LeBron James and the young Cavs shocked the world last season, but the surprise factor is over. They will have a big task learning to live up to expectations.

Chicago 5. Chicago Bulls – The young and gifted Bulls are in trouble. When Garnett came to the East and didn't land in Chicago, it slowed their progress.

Toronto 6. Toronto Raptors – They're a nice team, and that very well might be their problem in getting over the top. The Raptors might need someone to get a little nasty or trade for a pit bull.

New Jersey 7. New Jersey Nets – They didn't get better, but there's too much talent on the roster not to make the playoffs.

Washington 8. Washington Wizards – With Agent Zero (aka Gilbert Arenas), the Wizards are a playoff team, but with no consistent inside scoring, the Wizards will struggle this season.

Orlando 9. Orlando Magic – Just not enough firepower. The Magic have a lot of very good players, but none is a 20-point man on a good team. (Sorry, Rashard Lewis.)

New York 10. New York Knicks – Scandals, poor chemistry and a bunch of round pegs trying to fit in square holes. This once storied franchise is in disarray.

Indiana 11. Indiana Pacers – Who's on this team again?

Milwaukee 12. Milwaukee Bucks – Without sounding redundant, there's just not enough talent. The Bucks are potential driven which leads to losses in the NBA.

Philadelphia 13. Philadelphia 76ers – They'll be searching for an answer all year! OK, OK, that was a cheap shot, but it will take a lot of practice, practice, practice! (I crack myself up.)

Charlotte 14. Charlotte Bobcats – The Bobcats are much too inexperienced at all positions, including coach, to make noise this season. That said, they still are my sleeper East team.

Atlanta 15. Atlanta Hawks – Dominique Wilkins, Doc Rivers and Spud Webb are rolling over in their basketball graves right now. The Hawks have become the 2008 Clippers.

Kenny Smith covers the NBA for Yahoo! Sports Send Kenny a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

mffl89
10-08-2007, 02:32 PM
"Milwaukee 12. Milwaukee Bucks – Without sounding redundant, there's just not enough talent. The Bucks are potential driven which leads to losses in the NBA."

Dumbest statement of the year.

boutons_
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
"The Hawks have become the 2008 Clippers."

what?

Chris Childs
10-09-2007, 11:21 AM
"New York 10. New York Knicks – Scandals, poor chemistry and a bunch of round pegs trying to fit in square holes. This once storied franchise is in disarray.""

smh

kingsfan
10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
:dramaquee Hawks will be better this year, book it.

baseline bum
10-09-2007, 06:20 PM
He got paid for writing that? What did it take him, all of 5 minutes to come up with that analysis?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Don't quit your day job, Jet. Although this caught my eye:

Detroit 2. Detroit Pistons – They are one of the few teams that can only beat themselves. That's why they always believe it's a fluke when they lose.

I think PistonsDynasty just tipped his hand.

O-Factor
10-10-2007, 12:52 AM
I guess the celtics are all the experts "It" pick huh? Never mind the complete lack of depth they have. They'll be good against East teams however.

The_Game
10-10-2007, 01:08 AM
I guess the celtics are all the experts "It" pick huh? Never mind the complete lack of depth they have. They'll be good against East teams however.

celtics depth is far better than you are giving them credit for. they added some decent role players after the big trades.

E20
10-10-2007, 01:14 AM
That is sort of stating the obvious and adding in some far fetched and flawed statements. I could have wrote this; give me that money.

duncan228
10-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I put this here because it's the match to the West one.
Please move if it belongs in NBA Central.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkVLvpiVD6RcRxeGr7zjmXqfzIx4?slug=ks-eastrankings100807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Preseason rankings: Eastern Conference

By Kenny Smith, Yahoo! Sports

The Cavaliers were able to get through the Eastern Conference last season by really only playing one legitimate playoff series – the East finals against Detroit. That will not happen again this season. In fact, there will be a new conference champion.

Here's how I see the East as teams begin their preseason schedules.

1. Boston Celtics – With three unselfish stars in Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Kevin Garnett, the learning curve is shorter than most. They will dominate a conference with only three contenders (the others being Detroit and Miami).

2. Detroit Pistons – They are one of the few teams that can only beat themselves. That's why they always believe it's a fluke when they lose. Experience wins, and Detroit's veterans can still get the job done.

3. Miami Heat – Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade tasted the sweet smell of success two years ago and have the tools to get back to the NBA finals. With Alonzo Mourning leaving after this season, an aging Shaq gets one last real chance at another title before he's done.

4. Cleveland Cavaliers – LeBron James and the young Cavs shocked the world last season, but the surprise factor is over. They will have a big task learning to live up to expectations.

5. Chicago Bulls – The young and gifted Bulls are in trouble. When Garnett came to the East and didn't land in Chicago, it slowed their progress.

6. Toronto Raptors – They're a nice team, and that very well might be their problem in getting over the top. The Raptors might need someone to get a little nasty or trade for a pit bull.

7. New Jersey Nets – They didn't get better, but there's too much talent on the roster not to make the playoffs.

8. Washington Wizards – With Agent Zero (aka Gilbert Arenas), the Wizards are a playoff team, but with no consistent inside scoring, the Wizards will struggle this season.

9. Orlando Magic – Just not enough firepower. The Magic have a lot of very good players, but none is a 20-point man on a good team. (Sorry, Rashard Lewis.)

10. New York Knicks – Scandals, poor chemistry and a bunch of round pegs trying to fit in square holes. This once storied franchise is in disarray.

11. Indiana Pacers – Who's on this team again?

12. Milwaukee Bucks – Without sounding redundant, there's just not enough talent. The Bucks are potential driven which leads to losses in the NBA.

13. Philadelphia 76ers – They'll be searching for an answer all year! OK, OK, that was a cheap shot, but it will take a lot of practice, practice, practice! (I crack myself up.)

14. Charlotte Bobcats – The Bobcats are much too inexperienced at all positions, including coach, to make noise this season. That said, they still are my sleeper East team.

15. Atlanta Hawks – Dominique Wilkins, Doc Rivers and Spud Webb are rolling over in their basketball graves right now. The Hawks have become the 2008 Clippers.

Deimosfobos
10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
1. Boston Celtics

They will suck... book it.

Dalamar_the_Dark
10-11-2007, 02:42 AM
I still think Detriot is no. 1. Celtics have no bench so unless the fabled trio are going to play 48 mins every night, it aint making them no. 1. Hawks no. 15? Gotta be kidding. I'll take Atlanta over Philly any day.

Reggie Miller
10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
11. Indiana Pacers – Who's on this team again?

Hurts, don't it? (The truth, that is.)

Even so, I think the Pacers will finish in front of the Knicks. I have a funny feeling that the entire organization (MSG) is on the brink of a complete meltdown.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that we may have a nuclear winter in New York. It is possible that the Knicks, Mets, Yankees, and Giants will all be blown up and dismantled in the coming months. I admit that it's not likely to happen to all four (particularly the Mets), but a guy can dream...

Rummpd
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Raptors, Bulls, Pistons, Cavs, and Heat and possibly the Wizards all match up with the Celtics with their bad coach, no depth, and three stars that individually have never shown they could win squat.

lefty
10-11-2007, 11:57 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79058

duncan228
10-11-2007, 12:01 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79058

I'm sorry lefty.
I did look around for it, I didn't see it. :oops

This can be merged or closed or whatever needs to be done.
Again, I'm sorry. I do try to be sure not to post something that's already out there.

coopdogg3
10-11-2007, 12:06 PM
I think the Hawks are a lot better than he's giving them credit for. Granted, they're still the Hawks, but I think they'll be in the 8-11th spot, not in dead last.

lefty
10-11-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm sorry lefty.
I did look around for it, I didn't see it. :oops

This can be merged or closed or whatever needs to be done.
Again, I'm sorry. I do try to be sure not to post something that's already out there.

It's all good man, don't be so sorry. :toast

I've made that mistake a million times; sometimes, I really don't feel like checking if a thread has already been posted.

duncan228
10-11-2007, 12:31 PM
It's all good man, don't be so sorry. :toast

I've made that mistake a million times; sometimes, I really don't feel like checking if a thread has already been posted.

I know we've all done it.
But it still can be frustrating when there's a double post.

I do try to check. Thanks for understanding.

And thanks to whoever merged it.