PDA

View Full Version : Non-Greek report about David Stern and European expansion

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 05:17 AM
Commissioner David Stern considers NBA regular-season games in Europe

ROME - The NBA is staging another successful pre-season tour in Europe. Regular-season games on the continent are the next step.

"I think that time is coming closer," NBA commissioner David Stern said Sunday at halftime of the Toronto Raptors win over Virtus Lottomatica Roma. "That has historically been a matter of euros. It costs many euros to buy a game from a regular season because our teams do so well.

"But with the new O2 Arena in London, with the new arena in Berlin, with the proposed arena in Rome, Europe is beginning to develop buildings that look much like the ones that we have in the United States, and those buildings will yield more revenue for such a game."

Real Madrid also has plans for a modern facility in the Spanish capital.

The NHL recently played its first regular-season games in Europe at the O2 and the NFL will play a regular-season game at the rebuilt Wembley Stadium when the Miami Dolphins face the New York Giants on Oct. 28.

The NBA has played regular-season games in Japan and Mexico, along with a recent exhibition game in China with a mix of league stars. It was the first league to export its brand and league officials have flirted for years with the idea of European expansion, although Stern said that's still a way off.

"Not in the short term, but those very same buildings I referred to, to the extent that they become NBA-ready buildings, I suspect there will be more conversation, gossip and speculation about that prospect," Stern said Sunday.

On Wednesday, the Boston Celtics and star player Kevin Garnett will face the Minnesota Timberwolves at the O2 in London. The Memphis Grizzlies are also playing in Spain.

However, the NBA still needs to increase its fan base in Europe before establishing a franchise, Stern said. Most basketball fans in Europe are kids, Stern said, adding that "those younger fans will age into a category when they have disposable income."

"I think that we still have to develop - and that's why we're here," the commissioner said.

The Raptors-Roma game was not sold out. The attendance was 9,823, smaller than the capacity crowd of 11,118 that attended the Raptors-Celtics game a night earlier at the Palalottomatica.

"We had a full house in Istanbul (Saturday) with Efes Pilsen against Minnesota," Stern said. "The real lesson may be that you need a night off between games. It's not about the place. I think it's really just a question of Saturday night vs. Sunday night games back-to-back. And also a gentlemen by the name of Kevin Garnett."

When Garnett was introduced before Saturday's game, the crowd cheered for him even louder than the Raptors' Andrea Bargnani, who was born in Rome.

"We need to develop a revenue model that works, both as to ticket pricing and television rights fees," Stern said, getting back to European expansion. "But in the meantime, nothing we do is meant to be against that eventuality, it just all helps the game grow."

Stern said he also enjoys the development of the international game.

"I just remember when people laughed in 1992 when I said that the gap between the U.S. and the rest of the world would close," he said. "You only need to look at the Toronto Raptors roster to see the internationalization of the game at every level."

Besides Bargnani, the Raptors feature Spanish players Jose Calderon and Jorge Garbajosa, Carlos Delfino of Argentina and Rasho Nesterovic of Slovenia, plus American veterans who cut their teeth playing in European leagues, such as Anthony Parker and Maceo Baston.

Also, Bargnani became the first European selected with the top pick in last year's draft, Dirk Nowitzki of Germany was the league MVP and Tony Parker of France was the finals MVP.

"That highlights the contributions being made to our game by international basketball," Stern said.

Copyright © 2007 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved

WalterBenitez
10-09-2007, 06:44 AM
However, the NBA still needs to increase its fan base in Europe before establishing a franchise, Stern said. Most basketball fans in Europe are kids, Stern said, adding that "those younger fans will age into a category when they have disposable income."

It’s glad to be growing up :D
Sometimes I trend to forget that (for NBA's Comi$i$oner) Biz is ahead of sports. :oops

"We had a full house in Istanbul (Saturday) with Efes Pilsen against Minnesota," Stern said. "The real lesson may be that you need a night off between games. It's not about the place. I think it's really just a question of Saturday night vs. Sunday night games back-to-back. And also a gentlemen by the name of Kevin Garnett."

About these paragraph , I think is about cultural issues, I am not sure that Saturday’s game will be sold out in Latin countries, because this is the party day, probably that is very different from country to country, but usually (IMHO) only less important games are scheduled on Saturday night. :wakeup

Slomo
10-09-2007, 07:56 AM
However, the NBA still needs to increase its fan base in Europe before establishing a franchise,How about making the games video widely available? Call me crazy but wouldn't that help build a fan base!?

Stern said. Most basketball fans in Europe are kids, Stern said, adding that "those younger fans will age into a category when they have disposable income." I call BS

The Raptors-Roma game was not sold out. The attendance was 9,823, smaller than the capacity crowd of 11,118 that attended the Raptors-Celtics game a night earlier at the Palalottomatica.:rolleyes

What if the real reason was that everybbody knew it was going to be a lousy game (Roma is not a very good team)? OMG imagine a concept where more people would pay to watch a GOOD game!!! Quick somebody forward this info to David. I think I'm a shoe in for this year's Nobel prize!

:rolleyes:rolleyes:rolleyes

Bruno
10-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Games in Europe aren't really interesting but they are too really expensive.
In France last year, the cheapest ticket for Spurs/Maccabi was at 100€ (about $140).

Overall, the nba is doing a poor job in Europe.

WalterBenitez
10-09-2007, 08:45 AM
How about making the games video widely available? Call me crazy but wouldn't that help build a fan base!?

I wouldn't call you crazy, sometimes situations needs a different approach; I remenber the Mac Donalds' Cup, a tournament where NBA's teams and FIBA's team used to play; this environment of competition is more attractive than pres season games.

YOung people demands youg mentality to approach them.

WalterBenitez
10-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Games in Europe aren't really interesting but they are too really expensive.
In France last year, the cheapest ticket for Spurs/Maccabi was at 100€ ...

:dizzy that's is big money in Intl environment

Holt's Cat
10-09-2007, 09:24 AM
What about the more practical issue for scheduling games? It would be kinda difficult for a team to pull off a back to back consisting of, say, Seattle and Rome. I think the way you go is to incorporate the established European teams into some kind of superleague, kinda like the UEFA Champions League.

magic
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
http://www.razaodiada.orcon.net.nz/Stupid%20thread.gif

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/Talkbasket/avatar.jpg

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I don't understand why it's stupid. It certainly clears up some misconceptions that have been perpetuated on this board.

Holt's Cat
10-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Either you incorporate games between NBA and Euro teams during the regular season with perhaps a final tournament in the summer or you maybe take the top 4 NBA teams and have them play the top 4 Euroleague teams in a summer tournament (something with NBA regular season rosters). Of course, this would have to be hashed out with the players' union.

magic
10-09-2007, 09:34 AM
I don't understand why it's stupid. It certainly clears up some misconceptions that have been perpetuated on this board.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/yeseron/Thread%20pics/this_thread_rocks.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa105/Talkbasket/avatar.jpg

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM
I pay about $1,500 for my season tick for Panathinaikos and this only for I think 20 games. Team have sell like 4,000 of these season ticket in just one day! Stern know this of course.

Holt's Cat
10-09-2007, 10:32 AM
So is Billy's mommy for the NBA going to Europe?

Indazone
10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
NBA is coming to Europe. It's an eventuality that will happen. Saying that the NBA isn't going to expand is simply living with your head buried in the sand. If the NBA can make money by going overseas with their product you'd better believe they are going to do it. The goal is eventually to become as popular as World Cup Soccor.

magic
10-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, I'll tell you a story
Of whiskey and mystics and men,
And about the believers and
How the whole thing began.
First there were women and
Children obeying the moon,
Then daylight brought wisdom
And fever and sickness too soon.
You can try to remind me
Instead of the other, you can.
You can help to insure
That we all insecure our command.
If you don't give a listen,
I won't try to tell your new hand.
This is it; can't you see
That we all have our ends in the band.

And if all of the teachers and
Preachers of wealth were arraigned,
We could see quite a future
For me in the literal sands.
And if all the people
Could claime to inspect such regrets,
Well, we'd have no forgiveness,
Forgetfullness, faithful remorse.
So I tell you, I tell you,
I tell you we must send away.
We must try to find a
New answer instead of a way.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2007, 12:02 PM
What about the more practical issue for scheduling games? It would be kinda difficult for a team to pull off a back to back consisting of, say, Seattle and Rome. I think the way you go is to incorporate the established European teams into some kind of superleague, kinda like the UEFA Champions League.

I think the Superleague idea is the more practical interim suggestion.

But I think the scheduling issue is largely a red herring. As it stands, the league cannot schedule back-to-backs that have teams covering more than one time zone between games. So even current scheduling rules wouldn't allow a Seattle-San Antonio back-to-back, much less a Seattle-Miami or a Seattle-Rome back-to-back. Those scheduling rules also wouldn't permit a Boston-London back-to-back or a London-Istanbul back-to-back, either.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 01:09 PM
NBA is coming to Europe. It's an eventuality that will happen. Saying that the NBA isn't going to expand is simply living with your head buried in the sand. If the NBA can make money by going overseas with their product you'd better believe they are going to do it. The goal is eventually to become as popular as World Cup Soccor.Fine. It just isn't the done deal some had earlier said it was.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Fine. It just isn't the done deal some had earlier said it was.

I use same thing you did. You ask for proof where Stern say PAO join NBA so I ask for PROOF where Stern say they not to join NBA.

I not see him say that so PROOF to me with link please, or do you not able to do same thing you ask to do?

Bruno
10-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Scheduling won't be a big problem for the regular season.
If you add 5 or 6 Euro teams, American nba teams just have to go one time in Europe for a 5 or 6 games road trip.
Euro teams could do something like 3 10 games road trip in America.

The real scheduling problem is for playoffs. Doing a playoffs serie between an European team and an American team won't be easy at all. The current playoff format must likely be changed if NBA expand to Europe.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I use same thing you did. You ask for proof where Stern say PAO join NBA so I ask for PROOF where Stern say they not to join NBA.

I not see him say that so PROOF to me with link please, or do you not able to do same thing you ask to do?

:lmao

You're basically asking me to prove a negative. Which is stupid in any country.

If the NBA has not decided to do anything, why would they announce it?

When they decide to do something, they announce it, as I have shown you several times. This is how it works in Ameriga.

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 02:19 PM
October 9, 2007
Spurs Sign No One

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they signed no player. Per team policy, terms of the non-deal were not disclosed.

"We just wanted to let our fans know what we weren't doing," stated Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford. "Rest assured, once we make a decision, you won't hear about it anywhere."

http://www.nba.com/spurs/nonews/noplayer_071009.html (http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/pig-3.jpg)

SRJ
10-09-2007, 04:25 PM
October 9, 2007
Spurs Sign No One

SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they signed no player. Per team policy, terms of the non-deal were not disclosed.

"We just wanted to let our fans know what we weren't doing," stated Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford. "Rest assured, once we make a decision, you won't hear about it anywhere."

This is actually more information than we usually get from CIA Pop.

Barbarian
10-09-2007, 05:13 PM
October 9, 2007
Spurs Sign No One

http://www.nba.com/spurs/nonews/noplayer_071009.html (http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/pig-3.jpg)

Nice.

temujin
10-09-2007, 06:02 PM

You're basically asking me to prove a negative. Which is stupid in any country.

If the NBA has not decided to do anything, why would they announce it?

When they decide to do something, they announce it, as I have shown you several times. This is how it works in Ameriga.

So what is the DECISION that was announced, EXACTLY?
I only read about "...conversation, gossip and speculation about that prospect (expanding to Europe).

Gossip and speculation.
That looks like a familiar statement to my italian ears.
This is how it actually works in Europpa.
When in Rome do as the Romans do..

temujin
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Make no mistake.
People here like their stuff.
Olimpia.
Virtus
Panatinaikos.
Real
Barça
Cibona
Zrvna Zvezda
Split.

They have been around more than any NBA team.
Few would give a figues about any expansion.

WalterBenitez
10-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I pay about $1,500 for my season tick for Panathinaikos and this only for I think 20 games. Team have sell like 4,000 of these season ticket in just one day! Stern know this of course.

Jesus, got a job for me there, I earn that in two months .... I wouldn't what Sprewell said (butt I had no a family to feed :oops )

WalterBenitez
10-09-2007, 06:54 PM
I think the Superleague idea is the more practical interim suggestion.

But I think the scheduling issue is largely a red herring. As it stands, the league cannot schedule back-to-backs that have teams covering more than one time zone between games. So even current scheduling rules wouldn't allow a Seattle-San Antonio back-to-back, much less a Seattle-Miami or a Seattle-Rome back-to-back. Those scheduling rules also wouldn't permit a Boston-London back-to-back or a London-Istanbul back-to-back, either.

Like in Soccer, A tournament to play among champions from all continents (assuming that USA is a continent :rolleyes ); but in that scenario games will be more attractive.

WalterBenitez
10-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Make no mistake.
People here like their stuff.
Olimpia.
Virtus
Panatinaikos.
Real
Barça
Cibona
Zrvna Zvezda
Split.

They have been around more than any NBA team.
Few would give a figues about any expansion.

Besides ... those teams play a sport, rather than running a business; DO NOT get me wrong but those clubs in the list have tradition and history in Europe, NBA's teams only offer entertainment and a show.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Like in Soccer, A tournament to play among champions from all continents (assuming that USA is a continent :rolleyes ); but in that scenario games will be more attractive.

The UEFA leagues in soccer/football don't have champions from all continents -- they don't even have champions from every European nation, as far as I know. There is an understanding that certain leagues are elite leagues and the elite clubs in those leagues play each other to determine a champion. It's all arbitrary.

Having thought about it some more, I think that some NBA teams and NBA players might balk at the superleague (or a Champions League-like format) because: (1) it might threaten to cheapen the NBA championship; and (2) it would require players and teams to participate in a fairly significant number of additional games (presumably without much additional compensation). There would have to be some dramatic change in the way the league and the union operate for that scenario to play out, I think. I would think that the more likely scenario would have direct competition between NBA clubs and European clubs only when the European clubs can be fully integrated into the NBA. Stern makes that sound as if it's at least several years away.

WalterBenitez
10-09-2007, 07:50 PM
The UEFA leagues in soccer/football don't have champions from all continents -- they don't even have champions from every European nation, as far as I know. There is an understanding that certain leagues are elite leagues and the elite clubs in those leagues play each other to determine a champion. It's all arbitrary.

Having thought about it some more, I think that some NBA teams and NBA players might balk at the superleague (or a Champions League-like format) because: (1) it might threaten to cheapen the NBA championship; and (2) it would require players and teams to participate in a fairly significant number of additional games (presumably without much additional compensation). There would have to be some dramatic change in the way the league and the union operate for that scenario to play out, I think. I would think that the more likely scenario would have direct competition between NBA clubs and European clubs only when the European clubs can be fully integrated into the NBA. Stern makes that sound as if it's at least several years away.

hmmmm ... I was talking about FIFA's world club cup in Japan, don't see many options to settle NBA's franchise in Europe.

ajh18
10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
What about a system in which European cities can bid on a "package" of NBA games to be played in their city. These games could be the in-conference games that are the third game between teams in a year that two particular teams only play 3 times. It could be argued that this actually makes the system more fair, as it eliminates homecout advantage for the third game.

At given times during a season, you would take a group of teams to a European cty that bought a games package, and have them all play their "third" game abroad. Then fly the group home, and another group could go later in the season. The rest of the league just goes on, and it's treated as a long road trip.

I'm not sure exactly how the scheduling works, but I bet it could be tweaked so it worked out this way. Then, the games would count, and the NBA could use the bidding system to generate revenue ad exposure. Jus a thought.

WalterBenitez
10-10-2007, 05:23 AM
What about a system in which European cities can bid on a "package" of NBA games to be played in their city. These games could be the in-conference games that are the third game between teams in a year that two particular teams only play 3 times. It could be argued that this actually makes the system more fair, as it eliminates homecout advantage for the third game.

At given times during a season, you would take a group of teams to a European cty that bought a games package, and have them all play their "third" game abroad. Then fly the group home, and another group could go later in the season. The rest of the league just goes on, and it's treated as a long road trip.

I'm not sure exactly how the scheduling works, but I bet it could be tweaked so it worked out this way. Then, the games would count, and the NBA could use the bidding system to generate revenue ad exposure. Jus a thought.

That could be a nice and practical idea in term of interests and money

Indazone
10-10-2007, 09:34 AM
The only way that flying over the pond to play games would work is if a team went over and played about 6-7 games with different teams came back and got 3-4 days of rest and then back to the regular grind.

ChumpDumper
10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Here's another one:

NBA lays platform for Britain to lead way in European expansion

Ian Whittell

The significance may be lost on the 18,000 crowd that attends this evening’s pre-season NBA friendly between the Boston Celtics and the Minnesota Timberwolves at the O2 Arena, in East London, but they may be witnessing a key moment in the history of modern British sport.

Not for the first time, the NBA has decided that Britain represents one of the last great unconquered territories, only this time, buoyed by the pending 2012 Olympic Games, the success of the Great Britain team and the state-of-the-art facility in Docklands, it insists that it is here to stay.

In the short term, that means the NBA relocating its European headquarters from Paris to Hammersmith, West London, and playing regular-season games in Britain; in the medium term, it will result in the NBA offering its support to the Britain team as they prepare for the London Olympics. And in the long term? Possibly London forming part of a European division of the NBA - the world’s first global team sports league.

“I think, ultimately, there will be NBA franchises in Europe,” David Stern, 64, who has been the NBA commissioner for the past 23 years and accepts that such a development will come after he retires, said. “An amazing thing is happening.

“The stars are aligned because British Performance Basketball, the British Basketball League [BBL], the sports ministry [UK Sport] are all looking to the NBA to help them build on their newfound cooperation and collaboration. We have felt that the UK was a market that lagged behind [the rest of Europe], but now it seems we are coming into a much more receptive audience, helped by the national team’s success and visibility.”

Stern and the NBA had carried out research that convinced them that the lack of NBA-quality arenas in Europe would make it economically impossible to place franchises in the Old World. However, the O2 Arena will soon be followed by similar venues in Berlin, Rome and Madrid, with Real Madrid at the forefront of the drive to have European franchises simultaneously included in the NBA.

In many ways, London is the most logical choice because there would be little competition from the domestic league, which is poorly funded and supported, while there are obvious cultural and transportation links between England and the United States.

“I really think London could support a team,” Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, who met Stern yesterday, said. “If we can get into schools, if kids can see a career path through this game, I see no reason why not.”

A London team may struggle to sell out 41 games a season, although tickets for this evening’s game went in less than two months. Steve Bucknall, the first British player in the NBA when he played for the Los Angeles Lakers in 1989-90 and now coach of the London Capitals, of the BBL, has no concerns. “There are so many people in London,” he said. “So much money, so many diverse cultures, so many Americans, so many banks and corporations. The endgame for the NBA is money.”

This evening, the focus will be on Kevin Garnett, whose £240,000-a-week contract makes him the sport’s best-paid player, because he appears for the Celtics, his new club, against the Minnesota team from whom he was traded in the summer. Garnett joins Ray Allen, the former Seattle Supersonics All-Star, who spent part of his childhood living with his family at RAF Bent Waters, near Ipswich.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/us_sport/basketball/article2625621.ece

Again, not a done deal as previously reported in the country which shall remain nameless. This article was so well written you'd think it was done by an Amerigan....

magic
10-10-2007, 12:51 PM

http://gispro.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/bullshit.jpg

Slomo
10-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I think nobody is seriously thinking about this in the NBA - so it's probably just something they like to talk about but aren't really planning to do much in the near future (next 5 years). That's the only explanation I can think of for them be advocating the start of the expansion in a country (England) that has one of the worst leagues in Europe and where basketball is probably not even in the top 10 sports by popularity.

temujin
10-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Here's another one:

Ian Whittell

The significance may be lost on the 18,000 crowd that attends this evening’s pre-season NBA friendly between the Boston Celtics and the Minnesota Timberwolves at the O2 Arena, in East London, but they may be witnessing a key moment in the history of modern British sport.

Not for the first time, the NBA has decided that Britain represents one of the last great unconquered territories, only this time, buoyed by the pending 2012 Olympic Games, the success of the Great Britain team and the state-of-the-art facility in Docklands, it insists that it is here to stay.

In the short term, that means the NBA relocating its European headquarters from Paris to Hammersmith, West London, and playing regular-season games in Britain; in the medium term, it will result in the NBA offering its support to the Britain team as they prepare for the London Olympics. And in the long term? Possibly London forming part of a European division of the NBA - the world’s first global team sports league.

“I think, ultimately, there will be NBA franchises in Europe,” David Stern, 64, who has been the NBA commissioner for the past 23 years and accepts that such a development will come after he retires, said. “An amazing thing is happening.

“The stars are aligned because British Performance Basketball, the British Basketball League [BBL], the sports ministry [UK Sport] are all looking to the NBA to help them build on their newfound cooperation and collaboration. We have felt that the UK was a market that lagged behind [the rest of Europe], but now it seems we are coming into a much more receptive audience, helped by the national team’s success and visibility.”

Stern and the NBA had carried out research that convinced them that the lack of NBA-quality arenas in Europe would make it economically impossible to place franchises in the Old World. However, the O2 Arena will soon be followed by similar venues in Berlin, Rome and Madrid, with Real Madrid at the forefront of the drive to have European franchises simultaneously included in the NBA.

In many ways, London is the most logical choice because there would be little competition from the domestic league, which is poorly funded and supported, while there are obvious cultural and transportation links between England and the United States.

“I really think London could support a team,” Ken Livingstone, the Mayor of London, who met Stern yesterday, said. “If we can get into schools, if kids can see a career path through this game, I see no reason why not.”

A London team may struggle to sell out 41 games a season, although tickets for this evening’s game went in less than two months. Steve Bucknall, the first British player in the NBA when he played for the Los Angeles Lakers in 1989-90 and now coach of the London Capitals, of the BBL, has no concerns. “There are so many people in London,” he said. “So much money, so many diverse cultures, so many Americans, so many banks and corporations. The endgame for the NBA is money.”

This evening, the focus will be on Kevin Garnett, whose £240,000-a-week contract makes him the sport’s best-paid player, because he appears for the Celtics, his new club, against the Minnesota team from whom he was traded in the summer. Garnett joins Ray Allen, the former Seattle Supersonics All-Star, who spent part of his childhood living with his family at RAF Bent Waters, near Ipswich.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/us_sport/basketball/article2625621.ece

Again, not a done deal as previously reported in the country which shall remain nameless. This article was so well written you'd think it was done by an Amerigan....

In England, as correctly stated by Slomo, basketball is right there.

Right there behind pinballs.
The sport with the 60s and 70s machines I mean.

temujin
10-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Besides ... those teams play a sport, rather than running a business; DO NOT get me wrong but those clubs in the list have tradition and history in Europe, NBA's teams only offer entertainment and a show.

Absolutely Correct.
In some cases, you could almost call it a religion...
Barça guys would never mind to play any Madrid Stars: they want to go and beat 40 years of oppression of their language and culture.
Madrid would care even less for a Barça Ramblers: they want the original Farsa.
All teams in the ex-Yugoslavia were stronghold of the nationalities ties.
Tudjman changed the name of the soccer team from Dynamo to Croatia, and he got almost thrown out of power. He had to back down immediately
Efes and Panatinaikos, shall we talk about it?
I don't even mention the italian teams, of cities whose rivalries go back 6/700 years.

This Stern guy is just talking to please the european market, which is significant for the NBA.

Bruno
10-10-2007, 04:09 PM
NBA first and almost only goal is to make a lot of money. IMO, nba plan for the Europe is the following :

Step 1 :
Test how European biggest market (England, Germany, France, Spain and Italy) react to the nba product with things like preseason games...

If the reaction is good enough then,

Step 2 :
Trying to make the nba product more popular in these countries. I guess the NBA will try to improve the TV coverage and to put regular season games in Europe (like suggested by ajh18)
During the same time working on new arena project and seeking owners for nba Euro teams.

Step 3 :
The nba analyze nba teams project.
If there is enough locations to get nba teams and if the expansion in Europe will allow the nba to make significantly more money, expand the league in Europe.

The nba is still at the first step. I think that the second step will start soon (around 2010). The third step shouldn't be reached before 2015 or 2020. It's too possible that the nba product didn't work enough in Europe to expand the nba.

Indazone
10-10-2007, 04:44 PM
For those of you following this it would be wise to see what the conditions were like before the ABA merged with the NBA. At that time the ABA was the stepchild but offered significant money and had attracted star players easily capable of playing in the NBA. They had McGinnis, Issel, Gervin, McAdoo, Julius Erving, and many others. Lured to the ABA as an alternative league for money. When we see people leaving the NBA for the Euroleagues as an alternative or when they have players capabable of playing in the NBA who are stars in their own right, then they are similarly taking a parallel path that the NBA took to integration. Not all the ABA teams made it. A lot of them are gone now. Some of them are still here as the NJ Nets, Spurs, Pacers, Nuggets.

If you think about it, many of the same conditions that existed in the old ABA are now what you see in the Euroleague. Thus making it ripe for the time that several teams could actually be folded into the NBA.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
I think nobody is seriously thinking about this in the NBA - so it's probably just something they like to talk about but aren't really planning to do much in the near future (next 5 years). That's the only explanation I can think of for them be advocating the start of the expansion in a country (England) that has one of the worst leagues in Europe and where basketball is probably not even in the top 10 sports by popularity.

Rome and Athens and Madrid and Paris even maybe make sense but London and Berlin have no basketball support.

Crow
10-10-2007, 11:09 PM
It sounds like it will be a slow process. Just a few real games then more, then maybe a team over there, and maybe someday a division over there.

If/when they are ready for a team over there they still might do it gradual. Maybe have a "Team Europe" and play 10 games in 4 different european cities instead of having to try to sell 41 games in one city the first season. See which city supports the team the best then go there for 20 games the next year (and split the rest of the schedule among the better remaining cities dropping the worst) and see if that works out and if they pass that test they get a full schedule. Then do the same thing for another team split between markets and see if another strong market emerges capable of supporting a full schedule.

I think big developments are still a few years off, but this might be one way to do the transition more gradually and safely for all.