PDA

View Full Version : Washington is getting closer to NBA dream

Bruno
10-09-2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-povtak0907oct09,0,6460432.column

Tim Povtak
INSIDE THE NBA
October 9, 2007

The chances of Darius Washington making the opening night roster of the defending NBA champion San Antonio Spurs are not good.

His chances of eventually playing in the NBA, though, are getting better.

"I'm still confident that I can play in the league," Washington said by phone during a break in practice over the weekend. "I've never lost that. But now I've got a better idea how to get there. You have to be smarter. And I've learned patience."

Washington is the 6-foot-2 guard from Edgewater High School who left Memphis brimming with confidence after two seasons in college basketball, only to go undrafted in 2006 and then get waived in the preseason by the Dallas Mavericks.

He spent last season playing professionally in Greece and the Czech Republic, hoping to hone his game to get another chance to reach the NBA this month.

The Spurs invited him to training camp, where he has spent the past week working with and learning from people such as Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen and Coach Gregg Popovich, who won NBA titles together in 2003, 2005 and 2007.

"Just being here is great. Most guys can't say they've played with world champs like this. You can't help but learn professionalism here," Washington said. "I go out every day and try to see how I can work my way in, how I could contribute."

Washington spent much of the summer in Orlando working with former NBA player Dee Brown at his Edge Training Facility. Brown, who started his career with the Boston Celtics by playing alongside Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Kevin McHale, spent as much time with Washington on the mental side of the game as the physical side.

"He has the physical skills to play in the NBA. He always has," Brown said. "It's the other part he needed help with. We worked a lot on mental preparation, that eight inches between his ears. We did a lot of what I call 'eight-inch training.' And I think it's going to pay off for him."

Washington likely will play tonight when the Spurs open their exhibition schedule. They have five point guards in training camp, but backup Beno Udrih is out with a broken finger, and Parker was given time off early after spending the summer with his French national team.

The Spurs, though, return all 12 of the players who were on the roster when they beat the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals. There just aren't many openings for a rookie point guard, but the Spurs also are one of only two NBA teams that also own a Development League team (in Austin).

"I'm not saying he was too arrogant before, but he's been humbled. He was hit in the face by all the setbacks," Brown said. "With these great athletes, too often they believe all the hype about themselves. I think he's learned enough now to get him over the hump and into the league."

Washington averaged 12.8 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3 assists and two steals last season in the Czech Republic.

With Brown, he worked tirelessly on his point guard skills, where passing has become more important than shooting. He worked out at Edge with NBA veterans Chucky Atkins and Grant Hill, watching their work ethic and constantly asking questions.

"I wouldn't be here [in San Antonio] if I didn't think I could make this team," Washington said.

"Each situation is a steppingstone, and I've learned to adapt and adjust. And right now, I'm learning from the best. And that's only going to help me."

ChumpDumper
10-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I hope he made bank in Europe last season. He bolted right before Toros' training camp and would probably have play 40mpg there before we picked up another point guard.

timvp
10-09-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm confident Washington will play pretty well for the Spurs in training camp. Of all the invitees, I'm most excited by him. He'd have to play really well for the Spurs to decide to waive Beno and keep him ... but anything is possible.

At worst, he's a good emergency starter for a meaningless preseason game.

ShoogarBear
10-09-2007, 07:43 PM
We did a lot of what I call 'eight-inch training.'I see a job with Mark Cuban in his future.

T-Pain
10-09-2007, 11:33 PM
yeah i say hes the first casualty