PDA

View Full Version : Joe Girardi...

florige
10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
so is it safe to say that he will be the next skipper of the Yankees once Torre is gone?

K-State Spur
10-09-2007, 01:49 PM
we'll see. i think girardi was more keen on the idea as a passing of the torch as opposed to taking over for his old boss getting fired.

also, i think girardi's hard-nosed management style might clash with that group of veterans. he's a better fit for a younger team that needs to learn how to play the game the right way.

i do expect him to be the Yankees top choice though.

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 02:53 PM
we'll see. i think girardi was more keen on the idea as a passing of the torch as opposed to taking over for his old boss getting fired.

also, i think girardi's hard-nosed management style might clash with that group of veterans. he's a better fit for a younger team that needs to learn how to play the game the right way.

Girardi's going to have to change his style if he were to manage the Yankees. That hard nosed approach doesn't work with a bunch of superstars, and if it comes down to an "us or them" between Girardi and the players it's obvious who will be packing.

That said, I think firing Torre would be incredibly stupid at this point. Torre did a great job just getting a team that flawed with horrible contracts and terrible pitching into the playoffs. That's a team that was still relying on Mussina to contribute and has Wang as their ace, they weren't going far even if Jesus was the manager. I think the guy that needs to be canned is Cashman as he has done horribly with all of the resources given to him. Give most GM in the league 200 million to work with and they can put together a much better team than this. Cashman sold out for big names and forgot value along the way.

K-State Spur
10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
You assume that all of this was Cashman's choice. You don't think the Boss was telling him to go get some "name" players whenever the Yanks would go through a mini-stretch where they struggled?

According to Buster Olney, it took Cashman over 5 years to convince the owner of the richest team in baseball to invest any money into the draft and abroad.

BeerIsGood!
10-09-2007, 04:22 PM
You assume that all of this was Cashman's choice. You don't think the Boss was telling him to go get some "name" players whenever the Yanks would go through a mini-stretch where they struggled?

According to Buster Olney, it took Cashman over 5 years to convince the owner of the richest team in baseball to invest any money into the draft and abroad.

You're right, it's not all Cashman. Steinbrenner has handcuffed him greatly, but I still think he could have done a little better research before signing some of these guys to huge contracts.

Kriz-Maxima
10-09-2007, 05:46 PM
If someone should be fired is Cashman not Torre. He build a one sided team who Joe managed to get to the payoffs. He turned the yankees into the Phoenix suns of baseball and we all know what happens when they encounter great defense. The yankees dont need bats they need pitchers. Drop Clemens and Mussina and bring some good pitchers.

ducks
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM

i do expect him to be the Yankees top choice though.
someone needs to wake them up

2centsworth
10-09-2007, 06:08 PM
it's both cashman and steinbrenner. When the yankees were winning titles they did it with great pitching and clutch hitting. Now they have mediocre pitching and chokers at the plate.

Holt's Cat
10-09-2007, 06:32 PM
If Torre is axed the Yankees can forget about winning for a while. Hopefully they do something that stupid.

ducks
10-09-2007, 07:05 PM
what has torre did the last 7 years
or yeah he choked a 3 game lead against boston

he never plays small ball
why?

tsb2000
10-10-2007, 12:00 AM
IMO, if Torre gets the axe, then I'm thinking he hires Bob Brenly, who did a great job with the DBacks' veteran squad in 2001. The Boss isn't quick to forget...

K-State Spur
10-10-2007, 12:02 AM
someone needs to wake them up

yeah, because yelling is going to make a group of guys who have been there countless times realize the stakes...

K-State Spur
10-10-2007, 12:03 AM
IMO, if Torre gets the axe, then I'm thinking he hires Bob Brenly, who did a great job with the DBacks' veteran squad in 2001. The Boss isn't quick to forget...

I'm not sure Brenley has any interest in getting back into the dugout. He seems to thoroughly enjoy being back up in the booth.

K-State Spur
10-10-2007, 12:10 AM
what has torre did the last 7 years
or yeah he choked a 3 game lead against boston

he never plays small ball
why?

To be fair there, they had a 3 game lead and a lead in game 4 with Rivera on the mound to close it. If the manager's job is to put teams in a position to win games, I'd say that he did that.

But he's never been a great strategy guy. I don't think anybody in baseball would accuse him of being particularly great in calling steals or handling his pitching staff.

His strength has been in managing people, handling the egos of the highest payroll in baseball. Despite the numerous personalities that have been in that clubhouse, you haven't seen the infighting with the Yankees (at least not the point that it spills over to the media) that you have with other clubs.

Part of that is keeping players in their comfort zone. Play to the strengths of the roster that Cashman has given him.

Playing 'small ball' with a roster full of guys who are a)not accustomed to it and b)likely not very good at it may not be the best way to win games and maintain chemistry.

ducks
10-10-2007, 12:19 AM
I thought winning rings is what matters to players
so why would asking a game that gets a hit one out of 3 or 4 times at the plate be so upset at playing small ball

ducks
10-10-2007, 12:20 AM
yeah, because yelling is going to make a group of guys who have been there countless times realize the stakes...
whatever they have done has not worked this decade something should change

what do you suggest

QUESTION?

OldDirtMcGirt
10-10-2007, 12:36 AM
Joe Torre is an absolute horrible bullpen manager. I don't blame Steinbrenner for firing him, although I'd wager that he'd hire Mattingly.

2centsworth
10-10-2007, 01:34 AM
If Torre is axed the Yankees can forget about winning for a while. Hopefully they do something that stupid.
that's funny. they will win plenty w/o joe.

K-State Spur
10-10-2007, 10:18 AM
whatever they have done has not worked this decade something should change

what do you suggest

QUESTION?

vastly improve their defense. get younger. trade some of the vets to improve the farm system and open up roster spots. give the young guys the keys to club.

they may miss the playoffs a year or two, but in the long run, they'll be much better off.

K-State Spur
10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
I thought winning rings is what matters to players
so why would asking a game that gets a hit one out of 3 or 4 times at the plate be so upset at playing small ball

outside of jeter, who in that lineup is capable of playing small ball?

ducks
10-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I would think all of them all if they worked on it during spring training
instead of drinking beer

tlongII
10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
LaRussa

samikeyp
10-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Joe Torre is an absolute horrible bullpen manager. I don't blame Steinbrenner for firing him, although I'd wager that he'd higher Mattingly.

Beat me to it. :)

If Joe goes, Donnie Baseball will manage.

BeerIsGood!
10-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Mattingly has spent all of one season as a bench coach and has said himself that he isn't ready to be a manager. That would be a stupid approach.

T Park
10-11-2007, 03:36 AM
if Girardi doesn't go to NY and the STL job is open, reportedly he wants to go to STL.

I wouldn't mind it. Although, I would prefer Drunky Larusso back.